Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The differences between... COMICS and RPGs (Read 11923 times)
Guardian7
Avenger

VOLCANO MAN!!!

The differences between... COMICS and RPGs
Sep 18th, 2009 at 10:59pm
Print Post  
I don't know what I was expecting when I first picked up V&V (My first hero game).

I HOPED it would play like a comic... unfortunately the world had rules that governed it (darn it!)... and HPs (darn it!...).

Did it play like a comic? Like... let's say the X-Men?... when they were actually good?

no... darn it!

In comics... Jean (Pheonix) and Scott (Cyclops) are in love and dealing with the Crisises of that life... Tony Stark (Iron Man) runs a company, while juggling being both his alter ego and a member of the Avengers... Dr. Bruce Banner (Hulk) is a scientist with a love interest (Betty) and running from his life and everything else...

Why was it so hard to get that out of a RPG?

It was extremely difficult to get people to "PLAY" their chara... oh the fighting was easy... soaring through the air... throwing trucks... saving civilians... all of that.

But the stuff of the comics... the Stuff that makes it good! The STUFF that makes a good comic GREAT!

Not so easy to capture in a RPG.

I actually thought it would always be an ENDLESS series of battles with very little chara development.

I was wrong... My PCs surprised me. I know they were capable... they did magnificent jobs in the AD&D games we played.

I am not sure if at first it was the "NEW" environment (Even though we all read comics) or the modern day situations.

But they all of a sudden took an avid interest in the chara they had created (perks: My ability to illustrate them so they actually got visuals in/out of costume and any associates they wanted to see).

They started using their backgrounds and actually being in places where they couldn't use their abilities without exposing who they were. They started developing love interests, pursuing clues and getting down to earth with their chara. It was awesome. Probably one of the best aspects of my games*.

But… game play didn’t exactly match the superhero world… I mean… when Cyclops missed… they all just continued to fight. My players miss (at least at ground level) and there is a city backdrop… unn ohh!
ZARK! BOOM!… oops… sorry about that… I’ll fix it!
You know… Thing gets punched through… like… 5 buildings. Do we see anymore about it? Nope… Gone… erased… IN a V&V game. That damage is there… and NOT everyone is happy about it (What they don’t have SUPER-Insurance?).

It is one of the most unfortunate things about any game of this genre… you can almost capture it. But you still have a world to interrelate with.

Though… it did change my perspective on how things in comics were wrote. How the story goes and the ramifications of Super Hero actions.

IT actually made it a much more enjoyable world to play in.
I think it was aspects/things the PC’s could actually grasp and relate to.

Did anyone else out there have high (maybe too high at first) expectations? Then get a little disappointed… but then discover your disappointments were unfounded?

Just curious.

G7

P.S.
Just so everyone knows.
My (1st Ed AD&D) Greyhawk Campaign (the second start over) and my V&V campaign (also the second start over), ran 13 yrs... every thursday from 4-11pm. the highest level PC in the games... were 12th-AD&D/10th-V&V in '98.
If that tells you how much My players actual got into "Role-Playing".
Course you can sort of divide the two games systems in half cause we alternated V&V with AD&D and always finished an adventure then switched... but it ran that way for 13 yrs. same campaigns- only missing holidays!
...and just to gloat... There were a total of 17 gamers/rpgers who wanted to play in my games (Northern Michigan), I was the shit-GM... though I only allowed 5 to play in my games. I was always asked by others in the RPGing circles if they could join. I always gave the same answer... if someone drops out. It is first come first serve.
No one dropped out... but I did let another player into the AD&D game.

sorry... bit of self braggin there... LOL

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Re: The differences between... COMICS and RPGs
Reply #1 - Sep 20th, 2009 at 12:53pm
Print Post  
The difference is:

In comicbooks, the writer is trying to save the hero's butt.
In RPGs, the GM is trying to kill him.

Wink

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #2 - Sep 22nd, 2009 at 4:42pm
Print Post  
The primary difference between comics and RPGs is that a writer and/or editor controls EVERYTHING in the comic, he doesn't have to worry about tings like random dice rolls, characters not playing in character, etc. etc. If he decides that character A will marry character B, then it happens. Or that the character will suddenly discover a villains weakness, it happens, no dice involved.

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #3 - Sep 22nd, 2009 at 5:27pm
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Sep 20th, 2009 at 12:53pm:
The difference is:

In comicbooks, the writer is trying to save the hero's butt.
In RPGs, the GM is trying to kill him.

Wink

This sums it up nicely!

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #4 - Sep 22nd, 2009 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Sep 22nd, 2009 at 4:42pm:
The primary difference between comics and RPGs is that a writer and/or editor controls EVERYTHING in the comic, he doesn't have to worry about tings like random dice rolls, characters not playing in character, etc. etc. If he decides that character A will marry character B, then it happens. Or that the character will suddenly discover a villains weakness, it happens, no dice involved. 

I think you summed things up the best!

IP Logged

Guardian7
Avenger

VOLCANO MAN!!!

Reply #5 - Sep 22nd, 2009 at 6:00pm
Print Post  
Yeah it does sum it up... but when I was wide eyed and full of glee hoping to capture that "COMIC" aspect... and the Randomess of everything entered the frame... it was a slight disappointment. but as stated.
"It got better!"... actually... it "Got great!"

I just learned to... ummm Roll with it! LOL

G7

IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #6 - Sep 22nd, 2009 at 8:20pm
Print Post  
Guardian7 wrote on Sep 18th, 2009 at 10:59pm:
In comics... Jean (Pheonix) and Scott (Cyclops) are in love and dealing with the Crisises of that life... Tony Stark (Iron Man) runs a company, while juggling being both his alter ego and a member of the Avengers... Dr. Bruce Banner (Hulk) is a scientist with a love interest (Betty) and running from his life and everything else... Why was it so hard to get that out of a RPG?

Another thing that crossed my mind is that, well, a lot of comic books aren't exceptionally well written to begin with. So the prize series any of us might call out are often the best of the genre, not the baseline.

Trying to capture the feel of our favorite literature is hard to do even with a solid creative team, much less with dice and improvisational-player points of view.

That said, one of the things I've enjoyed during my stints as a GM isn't the "writing" part but the "reading" part, watching what happens to unfold by the players' actions and the dice. And, all joking aside, I see the GM as the referee (or even as a party host makin' sure everyone's havin' fun), not as a writer or someone antithetical to the writer.

As I often see it, an RPG Gamemaster and a comic book writer are perpendicular responsibilities rather than parallel roles; the operate on different matrices. All joking aside, some GM's often go to painstakin' efforts to keep their player-characters alive, which can be almost as big a problem as trying to kill them. But that's a whole different topic.... Word.
« Last Edit: Sep 22nd, 2009 at 8:23pm by SuperFriend »  
IP Logged

Skydiver
Teen Titan

Reply #7 - Sep 22nd, 2009 at 9:09pm
Print Post  
SuperFriend wrote on Sep 22nd, 2009 at 8:20pm:
Another thing that crossed my mind is that, well, a lot of comic books aren't exceptionally well written to begin with. So the prize series any of us might call out are often the best of the genre, not the baseline.

Funny you should say that. I've played in a 7 RL years campaign (not V&V, It was AD&D 2nd ed), but with such a long running campaign, we had those stellar side plots (or "runs") as well as the run of the mill dungeon crawls (where you're really getting the XP or gear up for the next level of the game).

While shorter campaigns may not be able to ramp up to those highs . Most of the time it's a combo where the GM gets a good feel for the characters/players at the same time as the players get a good feel for the characters. Once you work that out, hitting the highs are much easier.

At least, that's my 2 cents

IP Logged

Guardian7
Avenger

VOLCANO MAN!!!

Reply #8 - Sep 22nd, 2009 at 10:27pm
Print Post  
I think that is a legitimate point Superfriend... Some GMs do try to hard to keep or over satisfy their players.

I loved my players to death... and the last thing I ever wanted was to have a series of dice rolls ruin an evening for them... but... as they say... As you sow so shall you reap.
It is a game of randomness with boosted numbers in your favor at times (Depending on the difficulty) course there is ever... the dreaded... "20!"

But it happened and happens.

You learn as a GM to be prepared for the unexpected... NEVER try to second guess the actions of a player. Cause they will pull the most odd, out of this world, WHA!?! things while RPGing... that it can be even more enriching than you had actually envisioned.

But there is a huge difference... Batman isn't going to die... He's copyrighted (LOL)! but the PC due to the game mechanics can and do.

That is not to say COMICS get all the highlights... cause they don't.
There is nothing more fun... than to watch PCs on the edge of their seats and doing something comics can't possibly capture without being animated.

As a comic fan I have seen some pretty awesome saves in comics from heroes... but it isn't anything like when when your DMing and watch it happen in a game.
When the chips are down, they are sure they aren't going to make it and that one hero gets massively tricky and pulls everyone's fat out of the fire. (I always found Bomb/self destruct sequence scenarios are really good for creating nail biting situations).

So there are definitely things about gaming that I discovered were even better than comics... and we aren't even talking about the good time with friends (no comic can mirror that).

Skydiver... you are absolutely right. 2 players were my brothers and one I had known since I was four. The other was a my best friend... and the rest I got along very well with. So I guess it is like that song by Abba "Knowing me knowing you". LOL

G7

IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #9 - Sep 24th, 2009 at 12:29pm
Print Post  
In comic books, readers often are privy to the thoughts of both heroes and villains. In RPGs, the GM may know the villains' thoughts, and the heroes may know what's going on inside their players' heads, but those thoughts aren't part of the adventure until actions or conversations take place. The unspoken drama and internal relationship-building of comics doesn't transfer easily into RPGs.

In comics, readers don't necessarily see every punch a hero/villain throws (especially in group vs. group battles or secnes when a hero takes on large numbers of minions/underlings). In RPGs, every action is seen/experienced by the players.

The in-fighting among characters that might strengthen a comic book story can destory a campaign.

In RPGs, the heroes (players) should have fun because of the challenges they face. In comics, heroes don't necessarily have a good time.

In comics, the writers/readers don't necessarily know the precise limits of a hero's abilities--especially at first. In RPGs, each character's stats are recorded in detail from the get-go.
« Last Edit: Sep 24th, 2009 at 12:49pm by SuperFriend »  
IP Logged

Guardian7
Avenger

VOLCANO MAN!!!

Reply #10 - Sep 24th, 2009 at 2:13pm
Print Post  
SuperFriend said: In comic books, readers often are privy to the thoughts of both heroes and villains. In RPGs, the GM may know the villains' thoughts, and the heroes may know what's going on inside their players' heads, but those thoughts aren't part of the adventure until actions or conversations take place. The unspoken drama and internal relationship-building of comics doesn't transfer easily into RPGs.

VERY true! That is why it is important (at least in my games) PCs play out their characters actions and voice themselves.
BUT... even that would never cover the ground a reader gets from Comics.

SuperFriend said: In comics, readers don't necessarily see every punch a hero/villain throws (especially in group vs. group battles or secnes when a hero takes on large numbers of minions/underlings). In RPGs, every action is seen/experienced by the players.

Yeah... totally agree with this as well. In comics it is more orchestrated to the story... In RPGs... all hell can break loose. Other PC/NPCs can get caught in the line of fire, area effect or other such things. Of course you might be surprised when the team works out attacks in unison, I used to give a +1 to hit if the team waited "Held attacking" and all moved in unison against a foe (+1 due to the barrage of attacks).

SuperFriend said: The in-fighting among characters that might strengthen a comic book story can destory a campaign.

This I don't necessarily agree with... that only happens if there is an actual issue between Players...
The thing is to get down to what the true issue is and resolve it. I know one PCs chara was asked to leave the team due to differences that were causing problems. Though it was eventually resolved.

SuperFriend said: In RPGs, the heroes (players) should have fun because of the challenges they face. In comics, heroes don't necessarily have a good time.

I don't necessarily see this as absolutely true either. The players CAN have a good time... even if their PCs are not. I did a game once where DR. A used a jamming device (to muck up their communications devices) and attacked all of the Crusaders individually. It was unfair... It was nearly pointless to fight back against those odds... but every single one of them (The PCs) fought back with everything they had. They lost... some of them were pissed. They saw it as completely unfair.
BUT... they understood. They knew they had made a permanent enemy with Dr. A, They basically all said they were surprised he didn't do it sooner. It was just grating for them to take a beating like that and be so absolutely mocked.
Same basic scenario played out and  occured in my PROJECT: ULTIMATUM, game.
As the brick used to be fond of saying... "Gotta take the good with the bad!" LOL

SuperFriend said: In comics, the writers/readers don't necessarily know the precise limits of a hero's abilities--especially at first. In RPGs, each character's stats are recorded in detail from the get-go.

This is only a boon for gameplay. In comics it hardly matters.
Though maybe we ought to find a different post and discuss power growth as characters level... cause technically they do grow with levels (subtly mind you).
I don't see why a character couldn't use an inventing point to use their powers in unique ways.
Example: The Human Torch creates flying replicas of himself. They really don't do anything but burn hot and of course create a distraction... but it is a power stunt of his abilities... it just might take the same PR usage as illusion.
I am sure there are many other such examples.

To be honest I find them not pinning down comic heroes powers to be a bit frustrating. That is why I thought they made the Marvel Universes/Who's Who? stuff.

G7
« Last Edit: Sep 24th, 2009 at 2:15pm by Guardian7 »  

IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #11 - Sep 24th, 2009 at 3:06pm
Print Post  
Guardian7 wrote on Sep 24th, 2009 at 2:13pm:
The players CAN have a good time... even if their PCs are not. 

I wuz unclear. When I said heroes, I meant the players--not the characters. Yer absolutely right, players can have a great time when the chips are down for their characters.
« Last Edit: Sep 24th, 2009 at 3:06pm by SuperFriend »  
IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #12 - Sep 24th, 2009 at 4:59pm
Print Post  
These next two are obvious and yet still worht discussing.

Comic books is a largely visual medium. For all the word balloons and thought bubbles, the artwork communicates much of the story. Many GMs are adept at incorporating graphics and even sound effects into their campaigns, but much more of what happens is verbal (oral via tabletop, written via pbem).

Another difference is that the distinction between player-characters and non-player characters in games doesn't always translate to a game setting. To use the old X-Men as an example, Prof. X acted a lot like an NPC (from a game perspective), but often he was the star. Other characters, like Sub-Mariner and Hulk, seem to go back on forth.

Sure there are ways that a good GM can mix things up a bit to keep players on their toes (like havin' a temporary player character come in fer a while), but a comic book can have more fluidity between who is in the spotlight and who is a sideliner.

IP Logged

Guardian7
Avenger

VOLCANO MAN!!!

Reply #13 - Sep 25th, 2009 at 12:10am
Print Post  
Well I think in my case of being able to do illos of chara (and all the NPCs) helped to keep that visual aspect there,  but I learned how to become so many different things from a simple pedestian, to the weather itself. I learned to verbally convey emotional states without saying anything.

But so much of the work I did was dependent upon the Players. If they were not responding to what was going on as I described it... then the point would have been mote (at least for me).

Your Prof. X statement reminds me of how important TEACHER (The Crusaders' near sentient computer) was to the team. There were many times that it seemed that TEACHER helped them achieve their goals even though he didn't take an active part, other than information.
But he spotlighted more than one might imagine he would, It was just more subtle.
Prof. X on the other hand was in the "Parental/Teacher" position... He had to guide the X-Men, after all... it was always his vision... not theirs.

To be honest... I could sit here and tell you who I would deem an NPC in comics and who would factor as a PC.

EXAMPLE: Treat AVENGERS 160-181 or so as a game setting. Based on the characters I would place the PC and NPCs like this.

PCs
Captain America
Iron Man
Scarlet Witch
Hawkeye
Wasp

NPCs
Vision
Thor
Wonder Man
Beast (possible PC)
Yellowjacket
Quicksilver
Jocasta
Moondragon
Ms Marvel (possible PC)
Capt. Marvell
Hercules
Black Widow

...and that is about the average amount of NPCs in my game... LOL... KIDDING!
That is how I see them... there are important ones and non-important ones. The ones on the NPC list just struck me as stagnant in growth or serious activity in the Avengers at that time, Beast and Jocasta were cold shouldered a lot, Wonder Man's self doubt was drowning (definite NPC there), Vision is so much an NPC it is nearly scarey, Thor never does or acts the way he does in his own comic and the rest there were to help bounce story stuff off the ones I thought were the PC types for the comic at that time.

X-Men 113 - 130 (sorry don't remember the years).

PCs
Cyclops
Wolverine
Storm
Marvel Girl/Pheonix (Green & Gold Costume)

NPCs
Nightcrawler (possible PC... but doubtful)
Banshee
Colosuss (possible PC... but doubtful)
Dark Pheonix (Red & Gold Costume)
Prof. X
Sunfire
Dazzler
Beast
Havok
Polaris
Thunderbird (RIP)... lol... sorry... I loved that character!

I find it odd that I only found four of the characters to be PCs... There were bit parts that the others certainly did... but not to the level or strength of the four (one of which becomes evil and is automatically transfered to the GM becoming an NPC).

Of all the characters listed... I think those four in the X-MEN setting were the PCs.

Actually... this is kind of a fun game... I never thought about taking a period of comics and figuring out who seems more the PC type (The one the writer was taking more interest in) or the NPC type (The one the writer degenerated to background filler).

I agree and disagree about who is in the spotlight and who is a sideliner... I think they find some characters interesting and some not. I NEVER would have put Wolverine in the spotlight... matter of fact... In X-Men issue #96... I would have killed Wolverine over Thunderbird and Thunderbird would have become a central character (Or PC).

The differences between comics is that fluidity you mentioned. Because they can turn around and highlight someone else... the equivalent being... they simply changed and NPC into a PC (Like Thor is in his own comic... but isn't in the Avengers) and then back again at their whim.

fun

G7

IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #14 - Sep 25th, 2009 at 12:26am
Print Post  
Fun notes about everyone. Nightcrawler didn't do a whole bunch, yer right. And his biggest story arc was when he was in a sorta comma--X-Men Annual #4 (Nightcrawler's Inferno). And Colossus' biggest character developments during that period happened when he was brainwashed by Arcade to become the (gulp) Proletarian! Sure signs of an NPC.

Poor Vision. He had his picture in the cover corner of the Avengers during the period you site, but he was rather fill-in-the-blank, yer right. Moondragon was written, fer sure, like an NPC all the way around. Wasp may have been a player character, but not a particuarly good one...
« Last Edit: Sep 25th, 2009 at 12:35am by SuperFriend »  
IP Logged

Guardian7
Avenger

VOLCANO MAN!!!

Reply #15 - Sep 25th, 2009 at 3:11pm
Print Post  
I guess if these comics were viewed in game terms (for whatever periods we are discussing).

Well... You have to admit... though she (Wasp) may not have been a great PC at that time. With all of Hank's problems and frequent character problems... he was ALWAYS a NPC. Jan on the other hand developed into a GREAT PC as time progressed.

Scarlet Witch was so much the PC... and I think she probably always was... until her breakdowns in WCAvengers started. Unlike her brother Pietro (Quicksilver) who always had a villainous snide side to him.
Vision: since he is basically Scarlet Witch's plot device and frankly easily used and manipulated (Even deactivated), I could see him as little more than a NPC throughout his entire run.

Again... Wonder Man was so filled with personal issues... that if he was played as a PC... he certainly had the weakness of Low-self confidence (Which would probably make him screw up in some manner or not react when he should and could - compound this with the fact he had been a villain at first).

Beast and Jocasta kinda irritate me. I love both the characters (But I always root for the underdogs and they tend to be my favorite chara*)... Beast may have been played as a PC at times... but he was mostly degenerated to NPC throughout most of his career... Ms. J on the other hand was never anything more than a NPC... even when she was in Machine Man.

Thor's TRUE personality and capacity was played down so badly, that how else could he be viewed other than a NPC... abiet a very VOCAL NPC... but an NPC nevertheless (Except for in his own comic - which is odd... cause even though I know that Thor was a powerhouse... it was no less than Superman was in the JLA and he was a PC in that I felt).

Black Panther... NPC: unfortunately... he is a great character with an amazing background... but there were times even in his own solo appearences that he seemed to be less a PC and more a GM playing a NPC... sorry... I just don't think they have truely developed him.

Again... Moondragon was so much a NPC.

Black Widow had sorta always been (even in the Champions).

Herc was a bit more progressive... sort of... I mean at least he was a dumb brick who swung at things. He gets Kudos for being a legend and having a wider known history (even if it was the Marvel version of it). He could be either a PC or a NPC (but as with the Wasp... just not a great one).

Heck... I thought Hellcat was more a PC than some of the ones I mentioned (Though I have a weak fondness for the Defenders characters... she certainly brought a lot with her to the Avengers... til she was degenerated to Moondragon's student).

I think Starhawk (Stakar/Aleta: Guardians of the Galaxy) played a bigger role and acted more like a PC (sort of a temporary/stand in one), than some of the ones I mentioned.

Falcon once he was added might have been considered a PC as well... but he could also be considered a NPC plot device for both Cap and Hawkeye.

NPC of the most importance? Jarvis... the man did everything!

Refreshing the PCs again...
I still believe that they are:

Iron Man (who was his greatest during the Layton period)
Captain America (who I have always felt was too vocal not to be a PC)
Scarlet Witch (same as Cap, plus all her NPC-plot chara)
Wasp (who as SF noted... wasn't a great one til much later)
Hawkeye (Come on... this guy was too full of personality not to be a PC)
and with her addition... Ms. Marvel, Who I think by deed and action (even though she had her own mag at the time, like both Iron Man and Cap) was more central than the ones I listed as NPCs above... Heck... she even got a great exit for a PC leaving the game (kill Rogue!).

* In the Beast/Jocasta blurb... I mentioned how I had a certain fondness for underdog chara.

My favorite chara always seemed to be the underdogs...
Such as Thunderbird, Ms. Marvel (probably one of my all time favorites! Kill ROGUE!), Captain Mar'vell (stupid death - yeah I know he is back... aren't they all?), Jocasta (stupid death), Beast, Black Panther, Falcon, Nighthawk (stupid death), Hellcat (stupid death), Texas Twister, Blue Shield, Cap Ultra and a plethora of others.
All of these chara had tremendous potential. Thundra is a great example of that. She shined in Marvel-Two-N-One.
I always felt Iceman got the short end of the stick, as did Angel (I really wish the Champions had gone somewhere... there was SO much potential there!).
Wolverine drowned out the rest of the X-Men and his only saving grace in my opinion is his relationship with Carol Danvers (the Divine Ms. M). Otherwise... I wish he had been the one to splatter on Neferia's exploding plane (X-Men # 96) and not Thunderbird.

BACK TO THE SUBJECT...
I think the differences between comics and RPGs are both slight... and vast.

Some aspects can be emulated...
Great storylines
Epic fights
Character developement (Providing your PCs know how to)

Others can't...
Visual medium (Though I could do a lot artistically... I couldn't very well draw the story as I was playing it... LOL)
The inner voices/monologues
Shadowed upcoming events... well they can if you have a chara with Cosmic Awareness and play with it.
The aspect that you can't do is predict what the PCs are going to do... your best laid plans can be undone by a smart player and you had to wing it and be able to make and adjust your story on the fly! (those dastardly players!! curse them!)

In examining all of this... and all that has been written thus far. I can see where they both have their pluses...

Comics can be very exciting or gripping!
So can RPGs... just takes the right GM and storytelling abilities.

G7
« Last Edit: Sep 25th, 2009 at 3:18pm by Guardian7 »  

IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #16 - Sep 25th, 2009 at 3:37pm
Print Post  
In Alpha Flight, Marrina was a good example of an NPC. She wuz introduced in #1 at the end to save the day (GM: "Theze guys haven't been able to figure out how to stop Tundra; better introduce a character with a quirky water-spout power that can do the trick).

Then in Alpha Flight #2, she goes bonkers and the whole plot is about rescuing her. Once rescued she quits. NPC = created as a foil or plot device.

IP Logged

Guardian7
Avenger

VOLCANO MAN!!!

The differences and similarities of COMICS and RPG
Reply #17 - Sep 25th, 2009 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
Yeah... Marrina was definitely a NPC.

I think the PCs in Alpha Flight at that time were:

Guardian (he was SO 4 color!!... or two lol).

Snowbird (I loved this chara... gorgeous look).

Sasquatch (definite PC... he factored pretty high).

NPCs
Puck I am not so sure about... he had PC potential... but he always seemed a bit player... NPC: just my opinion.

The twins Northstar and Aurora were both NPCs.

I saw Shaman as the Vision to Snowbird's Scarlet Witch. So he was a NPC... as was his daughter Talisman.

Marrina... already discussed.

Box... I am unsure about... I think he had PC potential like Puck... (Definite weakness)... I think he would have been interesting to play... especially with the transfer (Deadmaning!) of self into Robot shell. Cool take on the robot thing being living with it still remaining a robot (probably one of the best and most original ideas for a super hero).

I think that pretty much covers Alpha Flight.

Now the one team I saw everyone as PCs was... the Fantastic Four.
I didn't see any of them take a backseat, Even (early days) Sue while captured tended to play a decent role... granted... she might have come off as not so well played - maybe she had the weakness "Easily captured!" (Course... that changed!).

Next time I will cover the Defenders.

Notice I changed the title? LOL

G7

IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #18 - Sep 25th, 2009 at 6:10pm
Print Post  
Defenders:

Hulk and Namor and Silver Surfer all were handled as NPCs. Same goes for Clea.

Doc Strange may have been the only player character in the beginnin'.

Valkyrie and Nighthawk were PCs a-mundo! So was Hellcat.

Don't know about Power Man and Red Guardian. They were just kinda there for a while, an' easily dropped out of the picture.

Boy-toy Daimon Hellstrom wuz vital to the later years, but I could see treatin' him as an NPC.

In the later years, Moondragon waz still an NPC. Cloud may have been too, sinin' how they changed her so much.

Beast wuz definitely a PC in the Defenders--no matter how you handle him in the Avengers.

You'll have to tell me what you think of Gargoyle, Angel, and the persistently shirtless Bobby Drake.

IP Logged

Guardian7
Avenger

VOLCANO MAN!!!

Reply #19 - Sep 25th, 2009 at 8:06pm
Print Post  
Yeah SF… I agree with your Defenders assessment on Namor, Hulk and Surfer. (Though of the three Namor might have been the only playable chara… then again with his frequent displays of temper. Doubtful!)

Dr. Strange in the early days was the PC… I think it was pretty much the GM and 1 player then. LOL

Clea (NPC tool for Dr. S… and not a good one)

I think Val was definitely a PC.
As was Hawkeye and Black Knight in those early days (Pcs - of the Avengers that appeared I think all but Iron Man would have been NPCs, though he may have been one too!).

Nighthawk… definite PC (LOVE HIM!).

Power Man, Daredevil and Hellstorm were all NPCs (So were the Guardians of the Galaxy).

I think a case could be made for Red Guardian as a PC (Though the player had to quit the game and got deported or something like that. Her later appearances definitely place her in the NPC framework - along with uber-cool looking Russian foe  the PRESENCE!! (possibly one of the single best looking foes of that period).

ENTER: Hellcat! Yeah… this girl had PC written all over her.
Moondragon… ever the degenerate NPC she always was!

Moon Knight during the Zodiac Key period (AWESOME STORYLINE! - gorgeous Giffin precursor Legion of Super Heroes artwork!)… was played as a PC for the time he was there.

Might be noted that Yellowjacket’s appearance in the Defenders might as well have been played as a PC.

Here is a shot of the DEFENDERS HQ and the membership lineup of the time.

Once you get past Issue #50 of the Defenders (The best story in the Defenders run)... you move into some interesting areas (including the gorgeously rendered Defenders #53! by Dave Cockrum, Keith Giffen, Mike Golden and Terry Austin and issue #54 by Giffen and Golden, with some Perez and Gil Kane covers... definitely awesome! and where I originally came in at).

Ms Marvel appears in the late 50's issue... I'd put her as a PC. Just for her amount of activity.

Devilslayer appears... I think he is an either/or chara... PC or NPC depending on the GM... likely NPC.

But it is when you get to Defenders #62-64 that things get VERY interesting. Cause along with with standard Defender's cast of Hellcat, Hulk, Valkyrie and Nighthawk... who unbeknownst them a membership drive has been made... attracting these heroes:

Hercules
Havok
Captain Ultra
Black Goliath
White Tiger
Iron Fist
Falcon
Torpedo
Stingray
Prowler
Jack of Hearts
Nova
Son of Satan
Tagak
Polaris
Marvel Man
Captain Mar'Vell
Ms Marvel
and finally... Paladin! (WHEW!)

I wouldn't even begin to know where and who to pick for PC and NPCs for this... The last three on the list split before actually trying to do some... umm heroing.

As far as later on goes... there is the appearence of Omega-Man and Avengers; Yellowjacket, Wasp and Black Panther, Ghost Rider as well as more Devilslayer, The Squadron Supreme (Before they sucked) and the Gargoyle, as well as the coming of Iceman, Angel, Beast, Son of Satan (again), Overmind, Andromeda, Moondragon (yuck!), Cloud and Manslaughterer or whatever.

Of all listed above... PCs would probably be...

Devilslayer
Gargoyle
Beast
and Andromeda.

The rest were NPCs (at least in my mind).

G7

IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #20 - Sep 25th, 2009 at 9:20pm
Print Post  
Since I did write-ups of the New Mutants in another thread, here's what I'll have to say about them.

Prof. X was an NPC

Of the original five kids: Sunspot, Cannonball, Psyche/Mirage, and Wolvesbane were all PCs. So was Karma, although had to quit soon after the team formed so the GM brilliantly had her abducted--only to return much later when the player was ready to rejoin the group.

Magma and Magik were both PCs.

Cypher began as an NPC love interest to Kitty Pryde (also a player character big-time). Warlock was introduced as an NPC. The New Mutants would have been SOOOOOOOOO much better if Cypher had stayed back most of the time--joinin' the team only when his powers were needed and if Warlock hadn't turned into a stupid animated form of comic relief.

One might make the case that Cypher was a PC with a lame power, so the GM had to go out of his way to tailor adventures for him, but the guy lacked depth. Heck, the Helloions were all stronger characters than Cypher, and they appeared only a few times.

BTW: this hypotheical meta-deconstructionalism is kinda fun!

IP Logged

Guardian7
Avenger

VOLCANO MAN!!!

Reply #21 - Sep 26th, 2009 at 3:06am
Print Post  
Actually the Hellions were stronger characters period!
I would have rather seen HELLIONS: Massachusetts Academy over New Mutants. They were more interesting.

The only two interesting chara in New Mutants were Mirage (only marginally so) and most especially Karma. I also think it would have been great if Sam had been black as opposed to some southern white boy.

Sunspot and Wolvesbane could have easily had been NPC... both Doug and Warlock were.

I saw the PCs as Karma, Mirage, Cannonball and Magma.
I saw Magik as an odd mixture of a PC who kept having to leave in the middle of a game and would end up GM controlled (Until he finally removed her... LOL).

Skids, Rictor, BoomBoom and Rusty were WASTES of SPACE!!. (all of which were NPCs)
As was ALL of the Morlocks (I had really wished... and actually thought that the Marauders were going to waste them all in some sappy eyed story... ugh... course they keep them).

I think Firestar started out in a NPC slot and a player comes along that wants to play that NPC... I think that is how she would translate. Especially once she joined the New Warriors... FANTASTIC TEAM... they never should have let Bagley off it as artist... it sucked as soon as he was gone.

NEW WARRIORS...
Only characters I saw as NPCs was Night Thrasher and Rage, the rest (Namorita, Nova, Speedball, Firestar and Justice) were PCs.

Well... gotta bail.
Cya

G7

IP Logged

Guardian7
Avenger

VOLCANO MAN!!!

Reply #22 - Sep 26th, 2009 at 3:12am
Print Post  
Oh I was just thinking of something.
Anyone ever seen any of those AD&D comics they had coming out a long while back?
I think it was like Forgotten Realms or something... I thought they sucked.
I think RPGs don't translate to comics (at least the way they wrote them) well.
But comics translate decently enough to RPG (as SF and me have shown in just who would and could be a PC and a NPC).

G7

IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #23 - Sep 26th, 2009 at 12:17pm
Print Post  
Guardian7 wrote on Sep 26th, 2009 at 3:06am:
Actually the Hellions were stronger characters period!I would have rather seen HELLIONS: Massachusetts Academy over New Mutants. They were more interesting.

Me too! They had so much more depth than any of the New Mutants.

Here's how they'd work in an PRG: The players come up with characters and background: Catseye was living on the street, Tarot's powers emerged while she was using her cards, Jetstream selects a low-self-control power AND bionics (which overcomes his weakness), Roulette was the only one with real criminal ties, and Thunderbird wants training andywhere OTHER than Xavier's school.

So the GM gets them all started as a new team at the Mass. academy. During their first mission it becomes pretty clear to the kids that Ms. Frost isn't simply an alternative to Prof. X--she's actually evil. As a player character, what do you do????

BTW: I liked your note about Magik going back and forth.

Ultimately, the issue we've been dancing around is whether or not the characters seem three-dimensonal and make decisions for themselves.

NPCs, as we're defining them here, tend to be on-two dimensional, going through the motions, and simply supporting the PCs in either predictable or plot-fodder ways. NPCs are interdouced when the PCs need more help or there's a storyline that the GM wants to tell.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #24 - Sep 26th, 2009 at 2:29pm
Print Post  
Great thread, and let me add that it's fun to see some new faces here interacting and giving great input!

I tend to see each individual GM as a writer (since they are essentially a storyteller).  In our campaigns we take turns GMing, so each individual storyarc often has it's own writer (GM) and then I serve as an occasional GM, but also as the overall story editor (or Editor-in-Chief).

As for the differences between RPGs and comics, I think there have been many excellent points summarized already.  The only thing I'll add is that for a comics story , the storyline itself is already predetermined, usually before the first panel is drawn (though there may be slight changes over time by the artist or for a long story as it goes along).  The "PCs" (as it were) are more or less chess pieces that the writer uses to tell his story.

In an RPG, on the other hand, (and much as G7 wrote), the PCs are liable to do ANYTHING!  So even the best laid plans (yadda, yadda)...

Myself, I tend to use the same method used by most writers in various media (comics, books, movies, TV, etc.) - the three-act model (Introduction, Confrontation, and Conclusion).  Even though this is done, though, the PCs can easily take things in a different direction and the story can end up going somewhere completely different than where the GM originally intended (this could NEVER really happen in an individual story, though I have read writers that have said the characters of a comic have taken a "life of their own" and taken things in different directions than what were originally planned).

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #25 - Sep 26th, 2009 at 2:34pm
Print Post  
As a GM I would never say (accurately) that I'm trying to "kill" the PCs, but I am trying to challenge them significantly.

And if a PC happens to do something stupid or foolish (or is just really unlucky) then they might die, which as you guys have said is not likely to happen in comics (an unplanned death, that is).

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #26 - Sep 26th, 2009 at 2:37pm
Print Post  
I always say, " tonight i am trying to kill you all..." but I never mean it.   But my players know that if they die, they die.  Without a real chance of failure there is no tension, and therefore no fun.   Also, there is always a chance of success.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #27 - Sep 26th, 2009 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
Guardian7 wrote on Sep 25th, 2009 at 12:10am:
X-Men 113 - 130 (sorry don't remember the years).

PCs
Cyclops
Wolverine
Storm
Marvel Girl/Pheonix (Green & Gold Costume)

NPCs
Nightcrawler (possible PC... but doubtful)
Banshee
Colosuss (possible PC... but doubtful)
Dark Pheonix (Red & Gold Costume)
Prof. X
Sunfire
Dazzler
Beast
Havok
Polaris
Thunderbird (RIP)... lol... sorry... I loved that character!

I find it odd that I only found four of the characters to be PCs... There were bit parts that the others certainly did... but not to the level or strength of the four (one of which becomes evil and is automatically transfered to the GM becoming an NPC).

Of all the characters listed... I think those four in the X-MEN setting were the PCs.

Actually... this is kind of a fun game... I never thought about taking a period of comics and figuring out who seems more the PC type (The one the writer was taking more interest in) or the NPC type (The one the writer degenerated to background filler).

I agree and disagree about who is in the spotlight and who is a sideliner... I think they find some characters interesting and some not. I NEVER would have put Wolverine in the spotlight... matter of fact... In X-Men issue #96... I would have killed Wolverine over Thunderbird and Thunderbird would have become a central character (Or PC).

G7

I don't really agree with your assessments here.  In my mind, Nightcrawler and Colossus had plenty of times where they were "PCs", though I admit they were not often focused on as much as the others you mentioned.

Phoenix is another one that could be seen as a PC during those times (and we've had major changes like what she went though in our games).

Another factor, for me, though, is the additions that Claremont and John Bolton put into that same run in their "Classic X-Men" (which I've been re-reading a bit and are now nearly 20 years old).  So in the same story (from those same issues you mentioned) where Nightcrawler might have been relegated to somewhat of a background character, there was a 13 page feature (for the back-half of the comic) dealing ONLY with Nightcrawler and Wolverine, say, or Colossus and Storm, etc.

I guess I just see it a bit differently.  In our games we have had players that don't care much for the "role-playing" aspects, and - if our games were to be transcribed into comic book form - they might appear as if they were NPCs, since they might be quieter, less involved in some of the social aspects that the PCs get involved with, or less involved as a detective-type.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #28 - Sep 26th, 2009 at 2:50pm
Print Post  
Guardian7 wrote on Sep 18th, 2009 at 10:59pm:
P.S.
Just so everyone knows.
My (1st Ed AD&D) Greyhawk Campaign (the second start over) and my V&V campaign (also the second start over), ran 13 yrs... every thursday from 4-11pm. the highest level PC in the games... were 12th-AD&D/10th-V&V in '98.
If that tells you how much My players actual got into "Role-Playing".
Course you can sort of divide the two games systems in half cause we alternated V&V with AD&D and always finished an adventure then switched... but it ran that way for 13 yrs. same campaigns- only missing holidays!
...and just to gloat... There were a total of 17 gamers/rpgers who wanted to play in my games (Northern Michigan), I was the shit-GM... though I only allowed 5 to play in my games. I was always asked by others in the RPGing circles if they could join. I always gave the same answer... if someone drops out. It is first come first serve.
No one dropped out... but I did let another player into the AD&D game.

sorry... bit of self braggin there... LOL

Sounds like you've had some fantastic gaming for quite a long time, G7!  Congrats!

I totally know what you mean, as I describe our campaign it's going to be hard to do so without sounding like bragging.

Our current campaign - in a few months - will hit 19 years.  That includes a number of us that have been regularly part of the group for about 17-18 years.  When the campaign started there were four of us, and at times it swelled to as big as 10 (regular players).  For most of that period it's been in the 5-8 range, and for the bulk of that we've played weekly or every other week (sometimes ending up being only once a month due to schedules).

By making markers (like the ones you see in the FGU modules) I've been able to give a fun visual feel to our gaming, but the main reason for the success has to be the great group of guys (with a few women over the years) who have contributed so much.

While there are a lot of positives from such a long-running campaign, there are also some negatives, however.  Trying to keep track of everything makes for a lot of book-keeping, and it gets tough to regularly cycle through the (more than) 300 villains that have been introduced.  It also makes it really, really hard - like when we do some adventures at a convention - for others to get involved.  As players it's not as hard, but at least one person has tried to GM, and that is a VERY difficult task when there is so much backstory and layers to a well-constructed campaign.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #29 - Sep 26th, 2009 at 2:51pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Sep 26th, 2009 at 2:37pm:
I always say, " tonight i am trying to kill you all..." but I never mean it.   But my players know that if they die, they die.  Without a real chance of failure there is no tension, and therefore no fun.   Also, there is always a chance of success.

Good point.  I completely agree.  You need that bit of tension to create excitement and thrilling situations.

IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #30 - Sep 26th, 2009 at 3:05pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Sep 26th, 2009 at 2:29pm:
In an RPG, on the other hand, (and much as G7 wrote), the PCs are liable to do ANYTHING!  So even the best laid plans (yadda, yadda)...

Less of course you have a bossy GM who says, "No, I don't think your character would do that and overrules yer decision. That really bites!"

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #31 - Sep 26th, 2009 at 3:09pm
Print Post  
SuperFriend wrote on Sep 26th, 2009 at 3:05pm:

Less of course you have a bossy GM who says, "No, I don't think your character would do that and overrules yer decision. That really bites!"

I had a D&D Dm that would have a blue hand come out of the sky and push us along to where he wanted us to go.  Its no a joke with us, " here comes the Blue Hand..."

IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #32 - Sep 26th, 2009 at 3:20pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Sep 26th, 2009 at 3:09pm:
I had a D&D Dm that would have a blue hand come out of the sky and push us along to where he wanted us to go.  Its no a joke with us, " here comes the Blue Hand..."

I hate that approach, even when it's done w/out the blue hand. If yer gonna go around sayin': I think your player would have done that instead (i.e. I want yer player to have done that because it makes the module go the way I want it to go cuz I'm a control freak), then I say you don't really need players. Those iz the kinda GMs who think their job is to exercize that they have all the power. It's a lame approach. Sumthin' a sixth-grader does who don't know no better, in my book. True dat.
« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2009 at 3:21pm by SuperFriend »  
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #33 - Sep 26th, 2009 at 3:39pm
Print Post  
SuperFriend wrote on Sep 26th, 2009 at 3:05pm:

I have seen that, or a variant of it, but it's not something we deal with for any of our GMs (thankfully).

The variant I saw was a GM continually telling PCs what they thought, felt, and even did: "That really pisses you off, so you go over and turn the TV off, slamming your fist down on it as you do so!".

I don't care for this (at all), and am glad none of our GMs do this.  They might try to persuade you that your character might see things differently ("remember that your character hates this guy, as he killed your girlfriend a year ago!"), but the choice should always be up to the individual player (unless they're Mind Controlled, Emotion Controlled, or something similar, and the player refuses to behave as they should).

IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #34 - Sep 26th, 2009 at 3:50pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Sep 26th, 2009 at 3:39pm:
The variant I saw was a GM continually telling PCs what they thought, felt, and even did: "That really pisses you off, so you go over and turn the TV off, slamming your fist down on it as you do so!".

The only time I can see doing that is when the player is under mind-emotion control and unable to act on his/her own accord. When the GM is telling the player what happened, it means the player is not in control of his/her actions. In the battle-game I recently had w/the ever-amazing Doctor Foom, Iron Man fell prey to a rage-inducing emotional control, so controlled Tony Stark durin' that time.

http://earthsmightiestavengers.blogspot.com/

But that's the only time I'd tell a player that "you would have trusted him/her," or "you would have wanted to do such and such," or "I don't see that character doin' such and such"--especially when the actions you want the player to do are legit--not illegal, etc.
« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2009 at 3:53pm by SuperFriend »  
IP Logged

Guardian7
Avenger

VOLCANO MAN!!!

Reply #35 - Sep 26th, 2009 at 5:03pm
Print Post  
You can as a GM recommend things (Like if the PC is a Paladin and is about to do something unpaladin-like)... but the decision and the ramifications of what a PC does is wholly upon them and the game terms (A GM might not like it... but is forced to roll with it).

Let us not forget that occasionally frustrating player who does play an unheroic chara (for no apparent reason) and disrupts the game. It does happen.
Sometimes the GM has to make a call or intervene. (Though I would normally suggest calling a break and taking a moment to discuss it with the Player alone).
If it is established that your playing a four color campaign... and suddenly a Player decides he wants to turn it into a Dark Champions game... I think it is okay for the GM to make a call and likely call a halt until the issue is resolved.

BUT... we are derailing from the initial subject here.

If you want to play a "COMIC BOOK" type world of pretty colors and dynamic heroics... emulating comics the best you can is a great thing to do. YEAH... you can't emulate all the aspects of a comic.
BUT... like the points that SF and me were stating, By going over chara from comics - via certain time periods. It is possible to see a comic in V&V terms.

Now... as far as your inclusion of that stuff from Classic X-Men... Sorry... I don't count that as the period I was discussing. They are all "After Thoughts" and not all of it meshes with the storylines as it flowed in the ACTUAL comics. Some of it was so bland and boring I am surprised Claremont actually wrote it (But by this time he had lost his writing flare in my opinion) and sorry... but John Bolton's work had that washed out feel to it. Hardly matching anything from the comics at that time.
So I don't really include that stuff in my personal assesments (Though I do have virtually all of the Classic X-Men from that time - I notice they didn't include them with the Essential X-Men...) of the chara as they were at that time. So I think that both Nightcrawler and Colossus were NPC. Even with the weak solo stories - I could have readily related that stuff as background info on said chara.
Just a difference of opinion... frankly I always felt with both of those two characters backgrounds (and Banshee's, my favorite X-Man) that they should have been PC types. Unfortunately they just weren't written as UP as the other members.

Let's do the Inhumans...

I see the PCs in most of thier appearences as...
Medusa
Crystal (most definitely!)
Triton

Blackbolt, Gorgon, Karnak and Lockjaw all seemed to always fade to the background. Heck... even Quicksilver here was a NPC.

In Daredevil I saw both Black Widow and Electra as NPCs... though Daredevil was definitely a PC (and a very interesting one at that).

Captain America of course seems to be a PC no matter where he appears.
Though I thought Falcon was more a NPC during his time with the Avengers. He was certainly a PC in CA.
Same for Nomad as well.
Heck I even think that Nick Fury might have been a PC... he was just too strong of a chara not to be (Though others might disagree with me there).

Within the Guardian of the Galaxy I see these chara as the PCs

Vance Astro
Nikki
Charlie 27

I saw Martinex, Yondu and Starhawk (Stakar/Aleta) as more NPC types (in their original comic appearences - except the Defenders stuff... where everyone but Vance was NPCs). Though it is possible for Martinex to be a PC as well (and I certainly would have loved for him to stand out more).

In the Avengers "Korvac Saga" there is a possiblity that Starhawk might be a PC... though doubtful... uber cosmic types of his nature (with a Cosmic Awareness way beyond that of Cap Mar'Vell), usually seem more fitting of the NPC status.

Starhawk is another of my absolute favorite characters... actually... the team as a whole is possible my favorite team (next to the original ORIGINAL JLA, Teen Titans and Defenders - sorry old school player here!).

G7
« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2009 at 5:04pm by Guardian7 »  

IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #36 - Sep 26th, 2009 at 5:40pm
Print Post  
From an into-RGP persepctive, what's yer take on X-Men #141-142? This was the fateful introduction of the all-new, all-different, uncanny ... Brotherhood of Evil Mutants.

Here's what I mean: The core X-Men have several levels of experience under their belts. Then strolls in 1st-level new recruit Kitty Pryde.

In those two issues, Kitty gets the thoughts/memories of her future self, which aids the team.

From an RPG perespective, what happenend?

1. The player running Kitty wasn't available that session, so the GM took control of the character, worked her as an NPC, giving her the mind/memories of her future self. In this case, the player-character earned no xp because it was the GM controlling her body with a future-mind.

2. The GM realized that 1st-level Kitty Pryde was too weak for the adventure so gave the player a future-flashback of events to come and let her operate at a much higher level during that battle. In this situation, Kitty goes back to 1st level at the end of the adventure, but she probably gets to keep the XP (or maybe half the XP) she earned while operating with future memories at an advanced level.
« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2009 at 5:47pm by SuperFriend »  
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #37 - Sep 26th, 2009 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
I disagree with your assesment of Bolton's work - I think he does an awesome job, though it IS very different from the usual style (especially of that time).

As for Claremont, I think MOST of his stuff is nasty, with a huge caveat: his work with Byrne (on X-Men) is one of the best runs in comics history, IMHO.  But I think a HUGE factor in that was Byrne, as Claremont on his own is wordy, cliched, and not that great of a writer (in my view).

If I had to read "he's the best he is at what he does" or "with a speed that belied his massive bulk" another seven thousand times...    Shocked    Grin

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #38 - Sep 26th, 2009 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
SuperFriend wrote on Sep 26th, 2009 at 5:40pm:
From an into-RGP persepctive, what's yer take on X-Men #141-142? This was the fateful introduction of the all-new, all-different children of the atom, uncanny Brotherhood of Evil Mutants.

Here's what I mean: The core X-Men have several levels of experience under their belts. Then strolls in 1st-level new recruit Kitty Pryde.

In those two issues, Kitty gets the thoughts/memories of her future self, which aids the team.

From an RPG perespective, what happenend?

1. The player running Kitty wasn't available that session, so the GM took control of the character, worked her as an NPC, giving her the mind/memories of her future self. In this case, the player-character earned no xp because it was the GM controlling her body with a future-mind.

2. The GM realized that 1st-level Kitty Pryde was too weak for the adventure so gave the player a future-flashback of events to come and let her operate at a much higher level during that battle. In this situation, Kitty goes back to 1st level at the end of the adventure, but she probably gets to keep the XP (or maybe half the XP) she earned while operating with future memories at an advanced level.

Before I even read your#2 I came up with the same rationale.  But I'd let her keep full XP (as a player).

IP Logged

Guardian7
Avenger

VOLCANO MAN!!!

Reply #39 - Sep 26th, 2009 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
SF
I think Kitty/Sprite was indeed a PC (with a LARGE handout for backdrop).
So far as the XP thing would go... I am divided here. As it was her FUTURE self that controlled the body while young Kitty was in Rachel's arms in the future.
It is possible there was some transfer (as Kitty young passed Kitty adult in the time transference) of xp to young Kitty once all was said and done (though she was possibly unaware of it. She just seemed to be doing the right things after the fact better than previously... including being more confident and stable during combat - Vague I know... but with little more explaination in game terms, for me that would work best).

Maj
Well we will agree to disagree on the Bolton stuff.

Claremont - He was writing some damn fine stuff before Byrne (both of whom I have met) ever joined the staff of X-Men, with the wonderful artist Dave Cockrum (Just an amazingly nice man - RIP) doing some very fun stuff. I just believe by the time he reached issue #150 he had reached his limit (same scenario for Wolfman on Titans - who I personally told he should hand the reins to someone else cause his work was suffering - while he was signing my issue of Cyborg - LOL).

Claremont did a good job with the Paul Smith drawn stuff as well (Though I could have lived without Yukio, dispise Rogue, dislike Wolverine and hated Storm's mohawk period - I prefered her as a goddess type). Even with all my dislikes. I thought he did a great job writing it. Course I quit during the whole Maddy thing. Ugh!

I think during the days of Marvel Team-Up and Two-N-One... both the Spider Man/Thing and whatever guest star were usually PCs. Though I am sure I could break it down to a case by case based on story and character.

What about Villains as PCs?
Super-Villain Team up seemed to spotlight villains.
I could see a case of someone playing the role of villains if you bent the campaign to that angle.
Though in DC's Secret Society of the Super-Villains... Captain Comet and whatever guest stars would be the PCs and not the villains.

G7

IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #40 - Sep 26th, 2009 at 7:02pm
Print Post  
Since they were translated into V&V by the talented Jack Herman, let's tackle the New Teen Titans.

Definitely PCS, and Strong Ones at That:
Robin and Cyborg, plus Wonder Girl

Weaker PCS (possibly NPCs)
Changeling and Kid-Flash and and Starfire (who I didn't really like, but I won't penalize her for that).

Definite NPC
Raven. She had plot-device written all over her. One of my favorite issues was when Cyborg started reviewing old footage and noticed that her appearance had indeed changed over time. That sometimes happens w/characters, just as an artist grows into a character--but in her case it was actual evidence of her personality/magical transformation.

Terra: I see her as a player character who the GM recruited as a spy--or worked that in with the player character. It's a powerful GM device if it works.

During guest appearances, Speedy may have been a returning Player Character or an NPC.

Aqualad was handled as an NPC, perhaps even as far back as his time during the original Teen Titans. Same goes fer Lilith.
« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2009 at 7:15pm by SuperFriend »  
IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #41 - Sep 26th, 2009 at 7:12pm
Print Post  
On the Super Friends cartoon...

Strong PCs: Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman, and Aquaman (yes, Aquaman!)

NPC: Robin. He takes few actions on his own. I wish they had given him more to do w/out Batman. (BTW: Robin from Earth 2 is the Best!)

PCs: Apache Chief and Samurai. Sure they were brought in as affirmative action recruits, but they were full characters with a lot of indeependent thinking. I'm not going to penalize them fer having tokenized names and accents.

PC: Atom. Yes! He appears only a handful of times, but gosh the guy tries hard. With him, I think the GM made sure that any mission he was part of had a chance of having something for him to do.

Twin-PCs: The Wonder Twins. And I'd see them as controlled by two player characters, since what they choose to turn into doesn't always jive.. The players get along well, though. Gleek is an NPC pet controlled by a generous GM who gives Gleek the benefit of the doubt.

Black Vulcan. Poor Black Vulcan. He was the first hero I translated for my Super Friends thread/site. He could have been a PC, but he lacked the imagination and depth of the others. Probably an NPC (against my wishes, though).

Hawk-NPCs: Hawkman (no imagination on the show). He was disappointingly a fill-in-the-blank character. Hawkgirl was definitely a NPC, controlled by an asleep-at-the-wheel GM.

Green Lantern: probably a PC, with a GM who handled his yellow-weakness inconsisntely.

Flash: his powers were all over the map on that show, making him perhaps even less playable than Superman. Probably a NPC.

Green Arrow was an NPC brought in to save the day during an amazing 1973 episdoe.

Rima (the Jungle Girl) was an NPC. And not a great one at that.

BTW: If you have a player as strong as Superman, take some advice from the Super Friends show and simply give many of the villains a type of paralysis/transmutation device that removes much of his power. It happened all the time on the show, even w/out any Kryptonite. Introducing giant monsters for Superman to tackle while everyone else does other things seemed to work too.
« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2009 at 8:35pm by SuperFriend »  
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #42 - Sep 26th, 2009 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
SuperFriend wrote on Sep 26th, 2009 at 7:12pm:
On the Super Friends cartoon...

SF, based on your moniker, this one had to come from you.    Smiley

IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #43 - Sep 26th, 2009 at 8:40pm
Print Post  
Star Trek: The original series!

PCs: Kirk, Spock, McCoy

PC: Yeoman Rand. Yes!!!!!!!! She's a star player on season 1. Then leaves.

PC: Sulu, 1st season. The boy is smart and clever and interesting on the 1st season. Then he turns into an NPC on seasons 2-3. Poor guy.

NPCs: Uhura and Scotty (sorry, folks--y'are just too predictable).

NPC: Nurse Chapel, largely used as a foil to McCoy and sometimes Spock.

Fer all of his personality, I think Chekov is consistenly treated as an NPC.
« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2009 at 8:42pm by SuperFriend »  
IP Logged

Guardian7
Avenger

VOLCANO MAN!!!

Reply #44 - Sep 26th, 2009 at 8:55pm
Print Post  
I totally agree with your assesment of the Teen Titans (Especially the Raven and Terra stuff... good call on the Raven stuff... I am impressed).

Though I hate the thought of Kid Flash being the weaker PC... your absolutely right. But as has been stated... Flash (Barry) is my all time favorite superhero. I always wanted more from Wally in the Titans. They never truely gave us it... which is easily why he would be a weaker PC (Much like how you assessed Jan/Wasp of Avengers).

The Super Friends.

Yeah... I think you nailed it.
Did you know... when I was YOUNG... I remember watching that episode with Green Arrow... it was my first ever exposure to Super Heroes.
For years and years... I waited to see him again... I didn't til I picked up my first issue of Green Lantern/Green Arrow (I still have the issue and it is prestine!!).

I think have all of the Atom episodes on tape somewhere... though I eventually want to gain all of the DVDs.

I see you didn't mention Wendy and Marvin! LOL NPCs!

I was always disappointed by Hawkman and Hawkgirl appearences on that show... Though Hawkgirl from the Animated Justice League show... MORE than made up for the wait. She was such a total PC... she is amazing in that cartoon... I mean amazing... I mean KICK ASS COOL!. I LOVE HER!! I want to be Hawkman! LOL

I want to see you do Doom Patrol...

G7

IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #45 - Sep 26th, 2009 at 9:35pm
Print Post  
The Atom episodes are available on the All-New Supe Friends Hour DVDs. Note the weakness I gave him in my write-up: www.superfriendstats.blogspot.com

Wendy and Marvin weren't worth mentioning. One of my friends suggested that I add them to my site. But they aren't worth the energy.

The updated Justice League animated series definitely treats Hawkgirl as a PC. Good fer her!

I like the original Doom Patrol but haven't read enough of their zany adventures to determine whether Chief and Beast Boy were player characters or NPCs--or assess any of the others. I have a soft spot for them as a team, even though--at least in theory.
« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2009 at 9:46pm by SuperFriend »  
IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #46 - Sep 26th, 2009 at 10:40pm
Print Post  
STrek: Next Generation

Player Characters: Picard, Riker, Troi, Dr. Crusher, LaForge, Worf, Data, and Yar (who dies but returns as a player character in "Yesterday's Enterprise")

Note: The GM/s treat/s LaForge's h. senses, Troi's psionics, and Data's intelligence inconsistently on the show.

NPCs: Guinan and Wesley Crusher (brought in to save the day when Data misses an intelligence save or runs out of inventing points). Wesley becomes a plot device in a few episodes, such as "Remember Me" and "First Duty." He comes in to save the day in "The Game" when everyone on board is under mind control.

Dr. Pulsaski: NPC, replacing Dr. Crusher during season 2. Pulaski is used as a foil to the others on several occasions: performs heart surgery on Picard, bonds w/Worf when he has the Klingon flu, dates Riker's dad, tells LaForge there might be a way to restore his vision...

Miles O'Brien is an NPC. So is Keiko.

Ensign Ro Laren. She is so creative and has so much energy that she has to be a PC who could only make it to a few sessions and really didn't get into Starfleet protocol.

Deep Space Nine
Player Characters: Sisko, Dr. Bashir, Major Kira, Odo, Jadzia Dax

Miles O'Brien was either a very weak PC or an NPC.
Quark was an NPC who the GM liked to use ALLL the time.

Jake Sisko was an NPC.

Nog is interesting. He started out as a lesser NPC who later became a PC.

And when Jadzia died, a new Player Character took over as Ezri Dax.
« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2009 at 10:42pm by SuperFriend »  
IP Logged

Guardian7
Avenger

VOLCANO MAN!!!

Reply #47 - Sep 27th, 2009 at 1:53am
Print Post  
Not really comics... but Yeah I can see some of your points.
Though I guess there is little difference in reviewing the differences between fictional Super hero stuff or it's animated counterparts (and RPGS) and not include live action fiction as well... they still spin around the same rules that one would used to apply who is a PC and an NPC.

G7

IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #48 - Sep 27th, 2009 at 1:57am
Print Post  
Guardian7 wrote on Sep 27th, 2009 at 1:53am:
Not really comics... but Yeah I can see some of your points.Though I guess there is little difference in reviewing the differences between fictional Super hero stuff or it's animated counterparts (and RPGS) and not include live action fiction as well... they still spin around the same rules that one would used to apply who is a PC and an NPC.

Yo! There have been Star Trek comics up the ying-yang by both Marvel and DC! But I've gotten my Trek-fix out of my system.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #49 - Sep 28th, 2009 at 12:12am
Print Post  
SuperFriend wrote on Sep 27th, 2009 at 1:57am:
Guardian7 wrote on Sep 27th, 2009 at 1:53am:
Not really comics... but Yeah I can see some of your points.Though I guess there is little difference in reviewing the differences between fictional Super hero stuff or it's animated counterparts (and RPGS) and not include live action fiction as well... they still spin around the same rules that one would used to apply who is a PC and an NPC.

Yo! There have been Star Trek comics up the ying-yang by both Marvel and DC! But I've gotten my Trek-fix out of my system.

Exactly; there's even a cross-over comic that has the Original Series characters side-by-side with the X-Men!  I bought it years ago, but plan on reading it again (as my wife picked it up a week or so ago at a garage sale or second hand store).

IP Logged

Guardian7
Avenger

VOLCANO MAN!!!

Reply #50 - Sep 28th, 2009 at 4:00pm
Print Post  
just not a big Star Trek fan... but...

there is something to be said for it to be broke down after a little thought.

If you were running a SPACE V&V or a Legion type universe... it might be nice to have a established template(s) to work with in the case of Starship crews and such.
I know I did starships and their crews when PC Thunderstar pretty much went solo in the Capella Warzone. He basically found and formed a Omega Men for that area.
I'll have to find time to look up all the alien races I made up for the Capella arena (Based on the Mods descriptions or pics) and show you what I thought the various alien races looked like (including their city styles and ship frameworks).

So what about stuff like...
Turok Son of Stone?
Turok was the solo PC and Andre was his NPC sidekick that tended to get pinned in trees by Triceratops and T-Rexs?

How about the various eras of the JSA? or the JLA?

G7

IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #51 - Sep 28th, 2009 at 4:30pm
Print Post  
Guardian7 wrote on Sep 28th, 2009 at 4:00pm:
How about the various eras of the JSA? or the JLA?

During the classic-Satellite years, I'd peg the original seven as PCs.

Snapper Carr was an NPC.

As new members came into the fold, Green Arrow and Atom were definitely PCs. Hawkman as well. Same goes for Black Canary and Zatanna.

Elongated Man (who I don't care for) and Red Tornado (who I like) would be my biggest pics for NPCs, based on the way I remember tham being handled during the series at that time.

It's hard to say with the JSA because they played like NPCs during many of the crossover stories. The biggest exceptions being Earth 2 Superman (a great character) and Flash. Within their own series, though, the JSA team is full of strong NPCs in game terms, including Huntress, Star Spangled Kid, Wildcat, and Robin, just to name a few.
« Last Edit: Sep 28th, 2009 at 4:32pm by SuperFriend »  
IP Logged

Guardian7
Avenger

VOLCANO MAN!!!

Reply #52 - Sep 28th, 2009 at 5:20pm
Print Post  
Well during the Sattilight years...
I saw Aquaman as an NPC... same for Martian Manhunter for most of his appearences.

Wonder Woman seemed to degenerate back and forth.

Superman and Batman were ALWAYS PCs in it.

I'd say that other stand out PCs were:

Superman
Batman
Wonder Woman (partial)
Green Arrow
Black Canary
Hawkman
Hawkgirl (who seemed to be constantly fighting for membership)
Red Tornado (Especially during the Cathy Sutton/Traya stuff)
Zatanna
Firestorm

I didn't see Atom as a PC (Maybe in backup features or during his run on the Super-Team Family)... but not in the League.

I wished they had done more with Elongated Man (who is one of my favorites)... but he was a NPC as well.

These are my picks for NPCs:

Flash (he shouldn't have been)
Wonder Woman (Partial)
Green Lantern
Aquaman
Martian Manhunter
Atom
Phantom Stranger
Elongated Man
Adam Strange
Sandman
John Stewart

The last three were members (Possibly reserve)... including P.Stranger.

G7

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #53 - Sep 28th, 2009 at 5:46pm
Print Post  
I never felt any writer ever got  the Martian Manhunter.  I almost feel that he had to die, as he was just a concept, never fleshed out.

IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #54 - Sep 28th, 2009 at 8:15pm
Print Post  
Black Lightning and Metamorpho were PCs who just didn't dig the league. Creeper was an NPC.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #55 - Sep 28th, 2009 at 9:02pm
Print Post  
Creeper is another one that no one has found his voice yet.

IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #56 - Sep 28th, 2009 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
Off topic: Wouldn't Creeper make a great Halloween costume?! No one would get it, but still...
« Last Edit: Sep 28th, 2009 at 9:13pm by SuperFriend »  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #57 - Sep 28th, 2009 at 9:14pm
Print Post  
SuperFriend wrote on Sep 28th, 2009 at 9:12pm:
Off topic: Wouldn't Creeper make a great Halloween costume?! No one would get it, but still...

I have the action figure on my shelf, and it is a bit disburbing.

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #58 - Sep 28th, 2009 at 9:26pm
Print Post  
In relation to the IP:

"The problem with adapting comic books to role-playing is that comics are very inconsistent. Things work differently from comic to comic, even with the same characters. There are just too many writers working on the same things for there to be any sort of standardization."
-Jeff Dee

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #59 - Sep 28th, 2009 at 9:27pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Sep 28th, 2009 at 9:14pm:
SuperFriend wrote on Sep 28th, 2009 at 9:12pm:

I have the action figure on my shelf, and it is a bit disburbing.

I have the Creeper figure from the Batman the Animated Series figures. They did a nice job.

IP Logged

Guardian7
Avenger

VOLCANO MAN!!!

Reply #60 - Sep 28th, 2009 at 9:55pm
Print Post  
Creeper was done nicely in the 70s early 80s... especially the Brave and Bold issues.
I think he was a PC in those.

I was always disappointed that Giffen didn't do the work he wanted to with the Creeper. Seeing as he is his all time favorite character (Yeah I know he did a few things).

Speaking of Giffen... let's tackle the tough one... THE LEGION!

PCs
Cosmic Boy
Saturn Girl
Mon'El
Brainaic 5
Superboy (sort of)
Timber Wolf
Invisable Kid1
Invisable Kid2
Blok
Element Lad
Supergirl (who shined in the Legion)
Chameleon Boy

NPCs
Lightning Lad
Karate Kid (In his own comic he was the PC)
Princess Projecta
Light/Lightning Lass
Ultra Boy
Phantom Girl (Not in the L.E.G.I.O.N.)
White Witch
Dawnstar
Wildfire
Shadow Lass
Dream Girl
Star Boy
Shirinking Violet
Colossal Boy
Bouncing Boy
Duo Damsel (Tripilcate Girl)
Matter Eater Lad
Chemical King
Tyroc
Ferro Lad
Sun Boy
Psycho Lad or boy... whatever.

I didn't include most of the ones after Legion 320

Of the Subsititutes I'd say the only one that was a PC was Polar Boy (Possible case for Stone Boy).

Fun!

G7

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #61 - Sep 29th, 2009 at 10:36pm
Print Post  
Guardian7 wrote on Sep 28th, 2009 at 9:55pm:
Of the Subsititutes I'd say the only one that was a PC was Polar Boy

i'll second that.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #62 - Oct 4th, 2009 at 3:00am
Print Post  
Guardian7 wrote on Sep 26th, 2009 at 8:55pm:
I see you didn't mention Wendy and Marvin! LOL NPCs!

"Wonder-Twin powers, ACTIVATE!"    Grin

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #63 - Oct 4th, 2009 at 3:03am
Print Post  
SuperFriend wrote on Sep 26th, 2009 at 10:40pm:
STrek: Next Generation

Miles O'Brien was either a very weak PC or an NPC.
Quark was an NPC who the GM liked to use ALLL the time.

I totally disagree with you on these two.  Both are PCs in my book (though I would admit that O'Brien's player didn't always show up to play); Quark's player attended every session, but almost always had to leave early, so he hardly ever went on the missions.    Grin
« Last Edit: Oct 4th, 2009 at 3:08am by Majestic »  

IP Logged

Guardian7
Avenger

VOLCANO MAN!!!

Reply #64 - Oct 4th, 2009 at 7:35am
Print Post  
Batman and the Outsiders

Batman again falls into PC mode (Though in weak form - He was stronger in the League).

Katana is the other PC in the game. Just  her strong vocal presence made her a decent enough PC. Her only problem was she lacked much of a revolving background so she was a pretty flat chara.

Possible PC case for Metamorpho here. Though there were plenty of times of him being background fodder. Iffy on this one.

Geoforce is iffy as well. I honestly think what makes him a PC here is his cool background plus his attachment to his missing sister (Which could be some sort of weakness). I think he is less iffy than Metamorpho.

The rest were such NPCs to me.

Halo... even exploring the background I found her devoid of much and frankly the pure/innocent/blink blink blink schtick got old really fast.

Black Lightning... Unfortunately NPC. I am sorry but he has never been that interesting. Ragman is more interesting than he is... though I have always thought his look was pretty kick-ass!

Looker... NPC... though a fun one.

Aerial... I so dispised this chara...

I was always disappointed they didn't bring Green Arrow and Black Canary into this team.

Babs/Batgirl as well.

and finally... the Creeper would have made an AWESOME addition to the team. They could have bumped Halo, Metamorpho, Looker and Aerial for that one chara.

I wouldn't have minded seeing a frequent appearence of Etrigon.

G7

IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #65 - Oct 4th, 2009 at 12:47pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Oct 4th, 2009 at 3:03am:
I totally disagree with you on these two.Both are PCs in my book (though I would admit that O'Brien's player didn't always show up to play); Quark's player attended every session, but almost always had to leave early, so he hardly ever went on the missions. 

Y'know what? I completely get what you're saying. Miles O'Brien was a PC--just a little more mild that the others. And Quark did act like a PC, especially as the series developed.

On further thought, I also agree with others' comments that Martian Manhunter was often treated like an NPC in the JLA--even though he could have been a strong character.

IP Logged

>