Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Willpower and Raised Stats (Read 2390 times)
polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Willpower and Raised Stats
Oct 3rd, 2009 at 6:40pm
Print Post  
Character sheets for most NPCs with Willpower A simply list the power. Sometimes there's an additional note reminding the GM to give the NPC pain resistance when applicable.

Several characters with Willpower apply the variable-use option to gain two-three skills. Here are examples.

Shrew from Crisis at Crusader Citadel
Willpower: Variable Usage, PR = 1/turn.
a) Heightened Endurance: +16
b) Heightened Agility: +12
c) Heightened Strength: +6

Vendetta from Pre-Emptive Strike:
Willpower A: PR = 1 per turn
a) Heightened Intelligence: +17
b) Heightened Agility: +13

Oberon from Pre-Emptive Strike:
Willpower A:
a) Heightened Agility: +11
b) Heightened Strength: +18
c) Heightened Attack: +7 damage (This may be a typo, as he is 8th level)

As a point of comparison, Boosterman (Blake Sagle) from Opponents Unlimited has this related but unique ability.

Boosting: For a period of up to 24 hours at a time, Blake may increase any one of his physical attributes by a factor of 2, 3, or 4l After the boost wars off, the score drops to normal and Blake cannot use this power again for a period of time equal to the factor of boosting times the period of duration of the boost, with a minimum of one day of resting the power. For example, Blake increases his strength by a factor of three for twelve hours. He must refrain from boosting for  (3 x 3) x 12 = 108 hours.

The sourcebook includes a chart showing how a raised ability score adjusts his hit points, power points, and auxiliary attributes.
« Last Edit: Oct 3rd, 2009 at 6:40pm by polarboy »  

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Re: Willpower B
Reply #1 - Oct 3rd, 2009 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
Pre-Emptive Strike offers two examples of Willpower B.

Powerpath
Willpower B:
Adapts to extremes of cold, gravity, or atmosphere (defends against Ice Power or Gravity Control as Adaption; otherwise, defends as Willpower). Defense is automatic, with no cost in power, action or movement.

Soulburner 
Willpower B:
Defends as Willpower on the Combat Table, and gives 11 points of invulnerability. No power cost.

Most Wanted (vol. 3) lists other alternatives.

Brainwave
Willpower:
immune to all mental attacks.

Extractor
Willpower:
+40 Power Points

« Last Edit: Oct 3rd, 2009 at 7:00pm by polarboy »  

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Re: Willpower and Raised Stats
Reply #2 - Oct 4th, 2009 at 2:22am
Print Post  
These are all really high boosts, aren't they?    Shocked

My first PC was rolled as all Skills (for a really high-powered group) and he had less total amount of powers (at least compared to the other characters in the group).  So my friend/co-GM allowed me to use Willpower: Type B to boost my character's Agility by +4d10 (I got a 26, IIRC).

Over the years I have to say that I've generally been more stingy than what's shown here.  Some of our characters use it to gain a boost to all three physical Basic Characteristics (so like a +1d10 to Strength, Endurance, and Agility).  But generally I haven't allowed as much as some of these show here.

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #3 - Oct 4th, 2009 at 1:57pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Oct 4th, 2009 at 2:22am:
Over the years I have to say that I've generally been more stingy than what's shown here.Some of our characters use it to gain a boost to all three physical Basic Characteristics (so like a +1d10 to Strength, Endurance, and Agility).But generally I haven't allowed as much as some of these show here. 

I agree. When mulitiple abilities are raised, I like the 1d10 method as well.

What I've been trying to do across many threads is compare how the game as a whole handles wildcard and variant powers. Sometimes a consistent/balanced pattern emerges; sometimes it doesn't.

IP Logged

Hammer
Justice Leaguer

Stranger in a Stranger
Land

Reply #4 - Oct 4th, 2009 at 3:26pm
Print Post  
I agree, that's what I'm doing, trying to use the experience of the posters on this board who've been playing for 20+years.  I love the flexibility of V&V, but am looking for some balances.  I've run into some of the problems with the game that have been posted here, ice powers and heightened speed... ugh. 

Your postings here have been very helpful in pulling info from printed material.  I got rid of all my modules a long time ago, and I've started rebuilding my collection recently, but I don't have a lot of the stuff you pull from.

So all that to say, Thanks, and please keep doing what your doing!

IP Logged

Skydiver
Teen Titan

Reply #5 - Oct 4th, 2009 at 11:43pm
Print Post  
polarboy wrote on Oct 3rd, 2009 at 6:40pm:
Shrew from Crisis at Crusader Citadel
Willpower: Variable Usage, PR = 1/turn.
a) Heightened Endurance: +16
b) Heightened Agility: +12
c) Heightened Strength: +6

I don't recall this particular one.. but am I reading this right?

For Pr=1/turn You get a,b or c?
Or for PR=1/turn, you get a, b and c?

As a GM, I wouldn't let this fly with an _and_, but an _or_ .. I might, depending on the rest of the power set.
« Last Edit: Oct 4th, 2009 at 11:44pm by Skydiver »  

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #6 - Oct 5th, 2009 at 12:03am
Print Post  
Skydiver wrote on Oct 4th, 2009 at 11:43pm:
I don't recall this particular one.. but am I reading this right? For Pr=1/turn You get a,b or c?Or for PR=1/turn, you get a, b and c?

The character sheets for Shrew, Oberon, and Vendetta show all of their willpower-based boosts in effect at once. Based on the rulebook write-up, you would think only one ability would go into effect at a time, but that's not the case for these three characters.

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #7 - Oct 5th, 2009 at 9:14am
Print Post  
During the early scenarios, like Crisis, things like this weren't totally worked out.

And editing at FGU was always a little sketchy, only adding to these kinds of inconsistancies.
« Last Edit: Oct 5th, 2009 at 9:15am by Doctor Foom »  
IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #8 - Nov 11th, 2009 at 8:05pm
Print Post  
Without the PR cost, Devil's Domain includes two characters with relatively modest bonuses from Willpower (apparently type B).

Meganaut has Willpower: Intelligence Bonus of +12
Pet Fiend has Willpower: Agility +6

As an aside, I get a kick out of seeing characters with heightened abilities but still end up with scores that aren't superhuman. My favorite example is second-level Blackjack from Super-Crooks. He has Heightened Agility: +7. His total score is 12. That means his pre-heightened score was 4 or 5 (depending on training).

Super-Crooks could have simply given him 12 agility and left out the heightened part, of course. But characters like Blackjack serve as a reminder that the game doesn't assume that everyone starts out with great abilty scores.
« Last Edit: Nov 11th, 2009 at 8:06pm by polarboy »  

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #9 - Jun 5th, 2012 at 1:10am
Print Post  
Enemies at Large shows how Willpower can combine a slightly heightened ability with a skill.

Ranger 423rd has a version of Willpower (B) that gives him +4 Endurance. His Willpower also allows him to survive without food, water, and sleep for long periods of time. Take it for granted that he can force himself to survive in any environment.

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #10 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 2:13am
Print Post  
I've used a variation of this for characters who are themed like Daredevil or Batman, the olympic level trined athlete type.

Willpower B: add 2d4+2 to Strength, Endurance, Agility. It give a slightly higher average than a simple 1d10 without getting out of hand  Smiley

aka Dracos aka DarkStar aka Star Guard

IP Logged

Bill Kropp
Justice Leaguer

Great. Its That Guy.

Reply #11 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 5:03am
Print Post  
true... it raises the individual averageboost per stat from 5.5 to 7. keep in mind the total average attribute increase for the power is now 21 instead of 16.5 for H Attribute B. plus instead of 3-30 , it now grants 12-30. useful, certainly but cautiously

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #12 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 11:32am
Print Post  
A lesson learned the hard way, but with the average of 3d6 being 11, and the average of this being this being 7 you should really end up in the ballpark of an 18 when your done and in my mind at least 18 is an olympic level athlete

Like all character generation the GM has to sign off on the end result because if your Olympic themed athlete ends up with a 28 strength and 7 agility something went really wrong  Wink
« Last Edit: Jun 6th, 2012 at 11:34am by Ranger »  

aka Dracos aka DarkStar aka Star Guard

IP Logged

>