Poll
Poll Question: How would you rate FROM THE DEEPS OF SPACE?

« Last Modified by: Guardian7 on: Oct 16th, 2009 at 9:58pm »
Normal Topic How would you rate FROM THE DEEPS OF SPACE? (Read 2275 times)
Guardian7
Avenger

VOLCANO MAN!!!

How would you rate FROM THE DEEPS OF SPACE?
Oct 16th, 2009 at 1:32am
Print Post  

When you played the ninth module of V&V's sizable listing of game supplements. What did you think. Explain your post if possible.

G7

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Re: How would you rate FROM THE DEEPS OF SPACE?
Reply #1 - Oct 16th, 2009 at 1:39am
Print Post  
This module gives excellent guidelines for the extraterrestrial invasion and doubles as a solid sourcebook for space travel.

From the Deeps of Space is highly creative, adaptable, and well thought through.

I like the Capellans and Lady Seven.

IP Logged

The Cougar
Avenger

Roll 1d20 against ...

Reply #2 - Oct 16th, 2009 at 9:14am
Print Post  
If I was rating this as a source book I would give it high marks but as an adventure module, nothing stood out to me.

Other than Lady Seven, I found the villains boring.  I really wasn't interested in how to create Galactic Minions.

V&V character creation is too much fun.
                                     - Doctor Foom

Megalopolis PBEM
http://vav-megalopolis-pbem.blogspot.com/

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #3 - Oct 16th, 2009 at 10:20am
Print Post  
Thanks G7 and everyone for your thoughts on these.
I'm not contributing because I've read so few modules, but I'm enjoying reading everyone's take on them.
Thanks.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #4 - Oct 16th, 2009 at 12:40pm
Print Post  
The concept for this one was solid, but everything Stefan Jones wrote seems to be a bit zany and wacky.

What's interesting is that I just did a separate Google search (to make sure I spelled Mr. Jones' name right) and it looks like he is out there on Facebook.  Makes me wonder how many other V&V authors (and/or artists) can be found there.

One author of one of the V&V magazine articles (S.D. Anderson who wrote "Charisma Counts!" for Dragon magazine) is a regular over on the other forums (critical fumble).  It would be kind of cool if a few of the old regulars for V&V made their way over here...
« Last Edit: Oct 16th, 2009 at 12:40pm by Majestic »  

IP Logged

Skydiver
Teen Titan

Reply #5 - Oct 17th, 2009 at 6:55am
Print Post  
I'm with Cougar on this one. Definitely interesting as a source book, not so much as a module in itself.

IP Logged

Dr. wierd
Apprentice

with great responsibilities
come great power

Reply #6 - Oct 18th, 2009 at 9:32pm
Print Post  
this was a great moduel had plenty of info for space adventures to bad they did not expand on it

YIM  
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #7 - Oct 19th, 2009 at 1:37am
Print Post  
Wow, as mixed (even negative) as the written out comments have been, it's surprising to see that nearly half (40%) of the votes are for the highest category (amazing!).

So those of you that loved it, let us know what you appreciated this one for!    Shocked

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #8 - Oct 19th, 2009 at 1:58am
Print Post  
I've run this one at least twice, the first for my earliest days campaign, and then in the early days of our Guardians one (which is now nearly two decades ago).  In the latter one (with the summary below), I used it to introduce a new PC (Shadow Knight), by having the character come from a small town in Colorado where the Capellans (our group nicknamed them the 'A Capellans') set down and took over.

#16 - The Invasion - C.H.E.S.S. dispatches Flaming Star to Midville, Colorado to verify U.F.O. reports.  Invasion craft of the Capellan Hegemony land that night and she battles them alongside new superhero Shadow Knight until she is captured.  The Guardians Dr. Desist, Entropy, Banshee, and Quiasar come to her rescue and meet billionaire David Lens, a.k.a. Shadow Knight, and other resistance fighters.  Together they defeat Star Boss and two patrols of soldiers and capture an enemy scout ship.

#17 - From the Deeps of Space - Quiasar and Entropy take the captured ship to C.H.E.S.S. headquarters in Denver and return in a tank.  The team ambushes a force screen post, demolishes two more squads of Capellans, and returns with prisoners to C.H.E.S.S.  During strategy sessions, Entropy leads Quiasar and Banshee on a recovery mission to an underwater facility near Nova Scotia, where they are amazingly reunited with Crocodile, Zap, and Spectre!

#18 - Victory! - The final assault is made on the invaders as the adventurers, now joined by Zap and Crocodile, fight their way onto a Base-ship and overcome the head Capellan, Major Rall, as well as Lady Seven and many soldiers.  Routed, with the construction of their force-field station stopped, the alien fleet withdraws and leaves Earth's system.

IP Logged

>