Normal Topic Optional Carrying Capacity Calculations (Read 2019 times)
polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Optional Carrying Capacity Calculations
Oct 19th, 2009 at 11:19am
Print Post  
How can you recreate the Carrying Capacity of heavy-hitters in comics without loading them up with numerous counts of Heightened Strength and without causing super-strong characters to do disproportionately large amounts of damage?

Step 1
Calculate carrying capacity normally to determine how much the character can easily lift in combat, including brawling attacks. Calculate HTH damage normally.

Use the standard V&V formula at this point.

[(S/10 x S/10 x S/10)+ E/10] x 1/2 Weight = Carrying Capacity.

Character Weight: 200 lbs.
S = 10, E = 10, CC = 200 lbs.
S = 20, E = 10, CC = 900 lbs.
S = 30, E = 10, CC = 2,800 lbs.
S = 40, E = 10, CC = 6,500 lbs.
S = 50, E = 10, CC = 12,600 lbs.
S = 90, E = 10, CC = 73,000 lbs.

Step 2
To more closely represent characters in Marvel Comics (especially since 1980), include a fourth S/10 when multiplying how much the character can lift/press with both hands and when exerting extra effort (requires one action per turn, PR = 1 per turn). This option has little effect on average-Strength characters but offers exponentially high results for those with Heightened Strength.

Here’s the optional formula.
[(S/10 x S/10 x S/10 x S/10) + E/10] x 1/2 Weight = Carrying Capacity.

S = 20, E = 10, CC = 1,700 lbs.
S = 30, E = 10, CC = 8,200 lbs.
S = 40, E = 10, CC = 25,700 lbs.
S = 50, E = 10, CC = 62,600 lbs.
S = 90, E = 10, CC = 656,200 lbs.

Step 2 on Steroids
To emulate the exceptionally stronger characters from DC, add a fifth S/10 to the formula (with the same action and PR requirements from above).

Here’s the enhanced optional formula.
[(S/10 x S/10 x S/10 x S/10 x S/10) + E/10] x 1/2 Weight = Carrying Capacity.

S = 20, E = 10, CC = 3,300 lbs.
S = 30, E = 10, CC = 24,400 lbs.
S = 40, E = 10, CC = 102,500 lbs.
S = 50, E = 10, CC = 312,600 lbs.
S = 90, E = 10, CC = 5,905,000 lbs.

« Last Edit: Oct 25th, 2009 at 3:08am by polarboy »  

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Re: Optional Carrying Capacity Calculations
Reply #1 - Oct 19th, 2009 at 12:27pm
Print Post  
Wow. Great, simple, elegant solution!

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #2 - Oct 19th, 2009 at 12:59pm
Print Post  
Sounds nice and simple. Have you play tested to see how it works in gameplay?

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

STORMDANCE
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #3 - Oct 19th, 2009 at 1:05pm
Print Post  
This is slightly off topic. It always bugged me that to reach the major levels of Strength you needed something to greatly increase weight or have many applications of Heightened Str +End or a Mutant/Body Power. Wonder Woman is under 200 LBS and Superman is about 210.

Here's another method you can use which would allow characters of low endurance or weight to possess top tier strength. Add a new power or Body Power/Mutant power category and eliminate the CC formula completely.

All characters multiply their strength score by 10 for CC in Lbs. which gives a normal range of 10 -180 lbs.
this can be augmented by the following:

Heroic Strength:

Enhanced Strength:CC= STR x 250
Exceptional Strength:CC=STR x 500
Superhuman Strength:CC=STR x 750
Titanic Strength:CC=STR x 1000
Godlike Strength:CC=STR x 2000

Only one form of Heroic Strength may be possessed by a Character.

If choosing powers you could also require the top 2 tiers of Strength to cost 2 or 3 power slots to keep it from being abused if necessary.

Since weight is no longer a factor of CC you could change the Size Change Larger power to grant the Enhanced Strength level of Heroic Strength for free.

This gives a pretty good range of lift and HTH damage without having characters weigh 1000 lbs and having a ton of basic hits/HP. This tends to make the 6D10 HTH range the Top Tier of strength as getting above 200,000lbs of CC is very unlikely.If the GM allows the character can use a Body/Mutant power to increase his CC further by doubling it.

IP Logged

Hammer
Justice Leaguer

Stranger in a Stranger
Land

Reply #4 - Oct 19th, 2009 at 3:18pm
Print Post  
Cool idea, though without the HP modifier of the weight/STR, your MegaMan, might not be able to withstand his own punch...

Definitely something to think about.

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #5 - Oct 19th, 2009 at 4:12pm
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Oct 19th, 2009 at 12:59pm:
Sounds nice and simple. Have you play tested to see how it works in gameplay? 

In my own campaigns I've always used the standard rules. But for those so inclined, these options from the start of this thread help bump up the carrying capacity of existing "bricks" (either randomly rolled or from published sourcebooks) without disrupting the overall game dynamics/balance.

These options also help bring published comic book characters into V&V.

Example:

Let’s say you want to build Ben Grimm, as described in the original edition of Marvel Universe. His entry says that he weighs 500 lbs., can hold his breath for 9 minutes, and can lift/press up to 85 tons

Following the traditional model...
Thing would have these stats in V&V.

Strength: 88, Endurance: 36
Carrying Capacity: 171,268 lbs. (85 tons)
Basic HTH Damage: 6d10 (three times as powerful as Power Blast)

Using the Marvel method from above...
Thing would have these stats.

Strength: 51, Endurance: 36

Carrying Capacity: 34,063 lbs. (17 tons) in standard combat, with the potential to lift/press 170,031 lbs. (85 tons) with extra effort.

Basic HTH Damage: 4d10 (twice as powerful as Power Blast)

« Last Edit: Oct 19th, 2009 at 4:39pm by polarboy »  

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #6 - Oct 19th, 2009 at 6:13pm
Print Post  
Hammer wrote on Oct 19th, 2009 at 3:18pm:
Cool idea, though without the HP modifier of the weight/STR, your MegaMan, might not be able to withstand his own punch...

Definitely something to think about.

I've always liked one mechanic of the Mutants and Master Minds game. You can buy Super Strength. Super Strength gives you extra carrying cap/lifting, but it doesn't allow you to do any additional HTH damage.

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Carrying Capacity and Movement Rate
Reply #7 - May 26th, 2010 at 8:39pm
Print Post  
Lifting heavy objects slows you down. So here's an idea I just posted on my blog that links Carrying Capacity to Movement Rate.

The 1982 rules explain that Carrying Capacity is the "maximum amount of weight in pounds a character can lift and remain standing" (p. 7)

But how does using Carrying Capacity influence Movement Rate?

I suggest that while lifting an object, a character should lose a percentage of Movement Rate equal to the percentage of the character's Carrying Capacity the lifted object weighs.

Let's say a character has a Carrying Capacity of 400 lbs. and a Movement Rate of 50". While the character lifts 40 lbs. (10 percent of Carrying Capacity), the character loses 5" of speed (10% of Movement Rate).

When characters use 100% of their Carrying Capacity, they remain standing but also lose 100% of their Movement Rate.
« Last Edit: May 26th, 2010 at 9:12pm by polarboy »  

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #8 - May 27th, 2010 at 11:42am
Print Post  
polarboy wrote on May 26th, 2010 at 8:39pm:
Lifting heavy objects slows you down. So here's an idea I just posted on my blog that links Carrying Capacity to Movement Rate.

The 1982 rules explain that Carrying Capacity is the "maximum amount of weight in pounds a character can lift and remain standing" (p. 7)

But how does using Carrying Capacity influence Movement Rate?

I suggest that while lifting an object, a character should lose a percentage of Movement Rate equal to the percentage of the character's Carrying Capacity the lifted object weighs.

Let's say a character has a Carrying Capacity of 400 lbs. and a Movement Rate of 50". While the character lifts 40 lbs. (10 percent of Carrying Capacity), the character loses 5" of speed (10% of Movement Rate).

When characters use 100% of their Carrying Capacity, they remain standing but also lose 100% of their Movement Rate.

This is a pretty simple formula that makes logical sense.  As long as people have a calculator handy, it's easy enough to do.

I'm pretty sure we've got some rules that spell out some movement minuses depending on how encumbered one is as well (I think it's part of a magazine article that dealt with a number of things like this), but I'm going to have to double-check to make sure.

IP Logged

>