Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Crossover Rules (Read 2352 times)
eLock
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Crossover Rules
Oct 21st, 2009 at 1:30am
Print Post  
Has anyone ever incorporated rules from other games into V&V? Which games tend to fit the best with the V&V game system?

I'm primarily looking for games with detailed rules about spies and detective work (James Bond to Philip Marlowe) that would be easy to adapt into V&V.

But information about games from other genres that might fold well into V&V would be helpful to.

Thanks in advance for any ideas you might have.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Re: Crossover Rules
Reply #1 - Oct 21st, 2009 at 12:09pm
Print Post  
Welcome to these forums, eLock (I thought at first you might have been one of my players, as his first name starts with "e" and last name starts with "Lock", but I don't think you're him.    Smiley

As for converting other games, your post (by mentioning James Bond) reminds me that I have incorporated elements of the James Bond RPG (Mayfair Games) into at least one of my adventures.  I actually converted over an entire James Bond RPG adventure (Goldfinger II) to V&V, simply running the adventure with the V&V system (adding in my own supervillains, making V&V versions of the James Bond adversaries, etc.).  The one thing that the JB game system had that V&V didn't was a section on "Chases", so I used their system for a cool chase (with boats).

IP Logged

eLock
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #2 - Oct 22nd, 2009 at 12:19am
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Oct 21st, 2009 at 12:09pm:
Welcome to these forums, eLock (I thought at first you might have been one of my players, as his first name starts with "e" and last name starts with "Lock", but I don't think you're him.    

Funny. Well, you can rest assured that my real name is not E. Lock.... My handle is a camel-cap hybrid of two terms.

You're right about chase rules. They're an element missing from V&V. The might require breaking down movement by phase. I'd have to give it more thought.

If you have easy-to-follow rules, please put them up on the forum. I always learn a lot from your posts.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #3 - Oct 24th, 2009 at 1:09pm
Print Post  
I took a lot from the AD&D second edition pcionics rule book.  They had a great system for making rolls.     Say you wanted to use your mental ablities for something you roll vs your Intellegence  on a d 20.    You take the roll and subtract it from your intellegence and that tells you how well you succeeded.

Like this;  your Int is 12.  You roll a nine.  12-9=3.  You succeeded by three.   So the higher your score, the better your chance to succeed.  I incorporated that system into my V&V game.  It works pretty well I think.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #4 - Oct 24th, 2009 at 4:21pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Oct 24th, 2009 at 1:09pm:
I took a lot from the AD&D second edition pcionics rule book.  They had a great system for making rolls.     Say you wanted to use your mental ablities for something you roll vs your Intellegence  on a d 20.    You take the roll and subtract it from your intellegence and that tells you how well you succeeded.

Like this;  your Int is 12.  You roll a nine.  12-9=3.  You succeeded by three.   So the higher your score, the better your chance to succeed.  I incorporated that system into my V&V game.  It works pretty well I think.

The James Bond RPG system (IMHO the best RPG system ever made, though it works best for only a single player) uses this concept as well, although everything is done on percentiles.

In that game, about 10% of your base chance at anything gives a quality rating of "1" (the best result), as an example, if your character had a 70% to pick a lock, the chart would give you something like this:

01-07: 1
08-22: 2
23-40: 3
41-70: 4

When you get a "1", that means you do things exceptionally well, do it in half the time, etc.  Every time you get a "1" you gain a Hero Point, too, which you can use to improve future rolls or save you from danger.

Your version for V&V sounds similar.

IP Logged

Aramax
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #5 - Nov 17th, 2009 at 3:28pm
Print Post  
Ive been using the concepts of daily and encounter powers from 4th ed D&D  in everything,(especially w/my latest version of Batman and the Flash)

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #6 - Nov 25th, 2009 at 3:46pm
Print Post  
I've been debating using V&V powers in Top Secret SI for supers.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #7 - Nov 25th, 2009 at 4:58pm
Print Post  
Imaginos wrote on Nov 25th, 2009 at 3:46pm:
I've been debating using V&V powers in Top Secret SI for supers.

So how do you like Top Secret SI?  I used to love the original Top Secret, but never tried the SI version.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #8 - Nov 25th, 2009 at 4:59pm
Print Post  
That reminds me; I once converted a Top Secret published adventure (from a Dragon magazine) over to V&V as well.

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #9 - Nov 25th, 2009 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
I've never played the original Top Secret, but I really like SI.  From my understanding, there are a lot of differences in the systems.  I keep meaning to turn SI into a generic rules set as a sort of plug-n-play system.  I just never make myself sit down and do it.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #10 - Nov 26th, 2009 at 1:44pm
Print Post  
Imaginos wrote on Nov 25th, 2009 at 5:06pm:
I've never played the original Top Secret, but I really like SI.  From my understanding, there are a lot of differences in the systems.  I keep meaning to turn SI into a generic rules set as a sort of plug-n-play system.  I just never make myself sit down and do it.

Cool.  You'll have to check out the old skool Top Secret if you ever get the chance (if you see it cheap in a bargain bin or wherever).  It's still a very cool system (though combat is a bit clunky) and a lot of fun if you like the genre.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #11 - Dec 4th, 2009 at 3:07pm
Print Post  
I think the Psionic powers from PSI World can easily be incorporated into V&V.

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

Hammer
Justice Leaguer

Stranger in a Stranger
Land

Reply #12 - Dec 7th, 2009 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
Always thought that looked like a cool game, and it makes sense there might be some similarities as it comes from the same publisher as V&V, though as far as I know Dee and Herman had nothing to do with it.

IP Logged

>