Normal Topic Top Levels: Heroes and Villains (Read 1732 times)
polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Top Levels: Heroes and Villains
Nov 24th, 2009 at 3:08am
Print Post  
The thread about published hero stats http://www.villainsandvigilantesforum.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1258423413 got me thinking about how few of the NPC heroes in published modules survive beyond Level 6.

HIGHEST LEVEL HEROES
Level 7
Imperial, captured in Devil's Domain
Telecomm, captured in Devil's Domain

Level 10
Meganaut, 150-year-old robot, captured in Devil's Domain
Sensei, semi-retired martial artist

Since many criminal leaders and assassins in the modules are levels 7-10, I've recorded only those villains with more experience than any of the published heroes.

HIGHEST LEVEL VILLAINS
Level 11
Bennet Morrow, evil genius (Mad Scientist)
Contessa, member of the Primevils (Pre-Emptive Strike)
Rocker, member of the Primevils (Pre-Emptive Strike)
Spyder, leader of the Inhuman League (Most Wanted Vol. 3)
Tower, villain recruited into Tarot Masters (Pentacle Plot).

Level 12
Force, in his sequel appearance (Assassin)
Shee-Ariel, described as a world-known, world hated villain (Dawn of DNA)
Simon Shrew, the assassin extraordinaire (Most Wanted Vol. 3)

Level 13
Dowager, Japanese crimelord (Search for Sensei)
Overseer, crazed demon (Devil's Domain)
Purple Mask, U.S. crimelord (TOTEM)
Shugin, Japanese crimelord (Search for Sensei)

Level 15 (or higher)
Dr. Apocalypse

Level 17
Motivator, earth's most powerful telepath (Most Wanted Vol. 3)
Nostpheratau, vampiric villain (Most Wanted Vol. 1)

Level 19
Baron Victor Von Heinrich, 473-year-old vampire (Terror by Night)

Level 20
Devil, extradimensional villain during his sequel module (Devil's Domain)
« Last Edit: Nov 24th, 2009 at 3:14am by polarboy »  

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Re: Top Levels: Heroes and Villains
Reply #1 - Nov 24th, 2009 at 10:09am
Print Post  
More context...

LEVEL 10
Amos Jackson, psychic detective and leader of the mostly good organization PSI in the original rulebook

LEVEL 13 (or higher)
The leader of CHESS, first referenced in the revised rulebook. We can infer that she is higher level than the CHESS bishops, which are up to Level 12.

When Jack Herman translated the New Teen Titans into V&V in the Sept. 1983 issue of Different Worlds magazine, they were relatively high level when compared with the published V&V heroes and villains. Here's how things broke down.

LEVEL 2
Terra, shortly after joining the team

LEVEL 7
Cyborg
Raven

LEVEL 9
Changeling

LEVEL 10
Starfire
The DNAgents also are this level in their V&V sourcebook

LEVEL 11
Kid-Flash
Wonder Girl

LEVEL 17
Robin

LEVEL 20
Terminator
« Last Edit: Nov 24th, 2009 at 11:47pm by polarboy »  

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #2 - Nov 25th, 2009 at 4:27pm
Print Post  
polarboy wrote on Nov 24th, 2009 at 3:08am:
The thread about published hero stats http://www.villainsandvigilantesforum.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1258423413 got me thinking about how few of the NPC heroes in published modules survive beyond Level 6.

I don't view it as they don't "survive beyond Level 6" so much as the vast majority of people (just like in real life) rarely earn that much experience over their lifetimes.

I mean, I'm sure a few don't make it along the journey, but there's probably quite a few that quit or retire as well.

IP Logged

Rick
Apprentice

Reply #3 - Nov 25th, 2009 at 5:00pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Nov 25th, 2009 at 4:27pm:
I don't view it as they don't "survive beyond Level 6" so much as the vast majority of people (just like in real life) rarely earn that much experience over their lifetimes.

I mean, I'm sure a few don't make it along the journey, but there's probably quite a few that quit or retire as well.
A guy stats out forty-eight characters, tacks on a book of the dead, and you're getting into to-may-to vs. to-mah-to.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #4 - Nov 26th, 2009 at 7:21pm
Print Post  
Rick wrote on Nov 25th, 2009 at 5:00pm:
Majestic wrote on Nov 25th, 2009 at 4:27pm:

A guy stats out forty-eight characters, tacks on a book of the dead, and you're getting into to-may-to vs. to-mah-to.

Rick, it somehow seems you're assuming that there's some hostility or antagonism meant by my previous post, where I was simply attempting to continue the conversation about more experienced characters.

I know there are some that view the much higher, experienced characters as extremely rare.  And I agree that - from what we see in the published adventures - they tend to be that (pretty rare).

OTOH, when you run a long campaign, the heroes and villains tend to gain lots of experience and the Level (i.e., "experience point") curve starts getting higher and higher as the campaign continues.

So that's all my post was referring to - continuing the discussion about more "experienced" characters.  I think in real life, there would likely be VERY FEW "experienced" people (some SWAT-type police, grizzled detectives, and others might get up to Level 4-5, etc., but I think it's pretty rare).  But in a world of superheroes, or larger-than-life characters (even a Sherlock Holmes or James Bond) a few of them start getting pretty high on the old experience chart as they succeed on adventure after adventure.

IP Logged

Hammer
Justice Leaguer

Stranger in a Stranger
Land

Reply #5 - Nov 26th, 2009 at 7:31pm
Print Post  
In our first campaign, we played the same characters for about 3 years, and we were in the 12th level range.  We played other games as well, but V&V was always our "main" game.

In the past year that I've been playing again, I've seen some characters get very tough after third level with training and inventing points...

I can't imagine what it must be like in some of you guys campaigns that have been going on for more than 10-20 years.

Unless you kill off your PCs every now and then like John evidently does.  Grin

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #6 - Nov 26th, 2009 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
Hammer wrote on Nov 26th, 2009 at 7:31pm:
In our first campaign, we played the same characters for about 3 years, and we were in the 12th level range.  We played other games as well, but V&V was always our "main" game.

In the past year that I've been playing again, I've seen some characters get very tough after third level with training and inventing points...

I can't imagine what it must be like in some of you guys campaigns that have been going on for more than 10-20 years.

Unless you kill off your PCs every now and then like John evidently does.  Grin

Yeah, we tend to have numerous heroes retire.  New PCs are pretty routine for a number of my players.  Only a few characters get up past 16th (we keep it as per the rulebook, with a huge expanse that you have to make your way through), but a few have.

So we've got a few 17th and 18th Level characters, but most are nowhere near that high.

Once the Levels of your heroes gets up there, it becomes tough to suddenly have villains showing up that are Level 12 or Level 15 ("who's this 15th Level guy we've never heard about?") so we have to use care to make it make sense.

If they don't come from another world or dimension, then our most likely high Level villains tend to be ones that we've had around the campaign for some time.  Every once in awhile a villain is introduced that is high Level that nobody's heard of, but it's pretty rare (and we try to use a good explanation).

IP Logged

Rick
Apprentice

Reply #7 - Nov 27th, 2009 at 4:15pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Nov 26th, 2009 at 7:21pm:
Rick, it somehow seems you're assuming that there's some hostility or antagonism meant by my previous post, where I was simply attempting to continue the conversation about more experienced characters.

No sweat. I just meant that the choice of words--survive/retire/whatever--was arbitrary in looking at the big picture.

Jack Herman had the New Titans like Cyborg and Raven skyrocket to 7th level after maybe 30 issues--probably only a year of time within the comic.

But in Devil's Domain we know that Imperial and Telecomm have been active for several years to reach that same level.

Terminator was surely a formidable opponent at 20th level. But the V&V villains who you'd think would be at his level of noteriety are about level 12-13.

I can't make sense of the disconnect. But it's there.
« Last Edit: Nov 27th, 2009 at 4:20pm by Rick »  

IP Logged

Rick
Apprentice

Reply #8 - Nov 27th, 2009 at 11:56pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Nov 26th, 2009 at 7:21pm:
I think in real life, there would likely be VERY FEW "experienced" people (some SWAT-type police, grizzled detectives, and others might get up to Level 4-5, etc., but I think it's pretty rare).  

I'd give you that. In Battle Above the Earth, the security chief, Commander Hugh Manning, is Level 3.

In the modules, thugs often are levels 1-2, with the more experienced goons/ninjas up to level 4. We see that in Sensei, Organized Crimes, Greater Good, and Assassin. Probably more.

IP Logged

>