Normal Topic Heightened Speed and Initiative Inconsistencies (Read 1194 times)
polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Heightened Speed and Initiative Inconsistencies
Dec 5th, 2009 at 6:24pm
Print Post  
To paraphrase the calculations from p. 13, the rulebook tells us that characters with Heightened Speed receive an initiative bonus equal to 1/30 their final movement bonus (round up).

And yet...

V&V co-creator Jack Herman's Dragon magazine article featuring the character Maxima gave her Heightened Speed: +1000", +33 initiative (rounded down from 33.33).

Jack Herman's Different Worlds magazine article about the Teen Titans gave Kid Flash the power Heightened Speed: +1000", + 33 initiative (also rounded down from 33.33).

Using the printed rules, both of those characters should have +34 initiative (rounding their initiative scores up). Either the same mistake appeared in both write-ups, or Jack Herman has a house rule that limits initiative bonuses to +33.

Most of the characters with Heightened Speed in the modules and sourcebooks have movement additions that cleanly divide by 30. The exceptions treat the number-rounding inconsistently.

Siren from Super-Crooks has Heightened Speed: +580", +19 initiative (rounded down from 19.33)

Sabredance from Great Iridium Con has Heightened Speed: +950", + 32 initiative (rounded up from 31.67).

On a related topic...
The hero Meganaut from Devil's Domain has this related Invention: Cybernetic Initiative Implant: +1 per Power point spent on initiative.
« Last Edit: Dec 5th, 2009 at 7:19pm by John »  

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Re: Heightened Speed and Initiative Inconsistencies
Reply #1 - Dec 6th, 2009 at 1:33pm
Print Post  
I hesitate to add this but one of the villains from the module Honor has the power Flight and Speed Bonus: +40 mph flying.

It's the only time I've seen Speed Bonus officially used in mph.

IP Logged

Justice
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Dec 7th, 2009 at 12:23pm
Print Post  
Chalk it up to errata my friend.

Jeff and Jack knew their creation was a bit hot to press. I think they had different thoughts later and made some choices that didn't quite follow 'official' rules.

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #3 - Dec 7th, 2009 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Jeff and Jack knew their creation was a bit hot to press. I think they had different thoughts later and made some choices that didn't quite follow 'official' rules.

From the examples at the beginning of this thread, perhaps the unofficial revised rule is to round initiative to the nearest integer.

When the decimal is .67 (Sabredance), round up.
When the decimal is .33 (Siren, Maxima, Kid-Flash), round down.

That would bring consistency to the chaos.

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #4 - Dec 7th, 2009 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
Technically, that is following standard rounding rules.  So maybe they just did that?

IP Logged

>