Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) What is V&V? (Read 5470 times)
AslanC
Ex Member

What is V&V?
Dec 13th, 2009 at 5:55am
Print Post  
So I need to ask you all a question...

What is V&V?

By that I mean, what are the elements of the V&V system that give it its' flavour?

If someone wanted to modernize the system, what would they absolutely have to make sure remains to the game so that it is still V&V at the heart of it all?

I look forward to your responses Smiley

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Re: What is V&V?
Reply #1 - Dec 13th, 2009 at 9:40am
Print Post  
Quote:
If someone wanted to modernize the system, what would they absolutely have to make sure remains to the game so that it is still V&V at the heart of it all?

Power Points remain at the heart of V&V.  The game would have a very different feel without them.

V&V was 1 part D&D, 1 part comic books, 1 part Jack Herman, and 1 part Jeff Dee. Over the past 30 years, many games borrowed aspects that were unique to the game (which itself adapted significantly betweent he original and revised editions).
« Last Edit: Dec 13th, 2009 at 9:42am by polarboy »  

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #2 - Dec 13th, 2009 at 11:32am
Print Post  
I think it is kind of hard to quantify, as that varies from person to person.  Dee feels that Living Legends is the successor to V&V, and it is how he wanted to shape it.  I feel that LL is clearly NOT a successor, has none of the flavor, and was overly bland.  I got rid of my copy as a toss in when I made a trade of RPGs with another person (I just gave it to them as a surprise freebie).

Power points?  Yeah, I'd say they are critical.  I also think the random generation is as well.  And personally, I feel the combat table is pretty tied in.

IP Logged

The Cougar
Avenger

Roll 1d20 against ...

Reply #3 - Dec 13th, 2009 at 2:01pm
Print Post  
To me, V&V combat is about putting yourself in the best position to hit (because hitting is hard) and when you hit, it is meaningful.

V&V character creation is too much fun.
                                     - Doctor Foom

Megalopolis PBEM
http://vav-megalopolis-pbem.blogspot.com/

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #4 - Dec 13th, 2009 at 3:16pm
Print Post  
Power points.  That is the heart of V&V.  And it is what seperates this game from most others.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Rick
Apprentice

Reply #5 - Dec 13th, 2009 at 4:37pm
Print Post  
After Power Points and the mutlifaceted attack/defense chart (already noted above), two more things stand out.

Hit Points based on character stats--which was a fresh idea when the game was introduced.

Stock descriptions, game dynamics, and standard damage rates for common powers.  Characters follow the rulebook description of most powers unless stated otherwise.

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #6 - Dec 13th, 2009 at 5:34pm
Print Post  
Agree with the above and would add the initiative process of counting down by phase. That's pretty uniquely V&V.

IP Logged

AslanC
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Dec 14th, 2009 at 11:39am
Print Post  
Let me ask the question a different way;

What would make you scream if someone were to update the game and leave out X?

IP Logged

Rick
Apprentice

Reply #8 - Dec 14th, 2009 at 11:47am
Print Post  
Quote:

Nothing would make me scream. I'd just keep using the same rules I have been.

I actually had the same experience Eric had with Living Legends. I wanted to like it, felt it was inferior to V&V, and got rid of it.

Was I angry about it? No.

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #9 - Dec 14th, 2009 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
That's the thing with a game like V&V - it's been around so long on the same edition that most folks still playing it have their own house rules.  There was some discussion a while back on a different forum about making a V&V update, and the general consensus was that people would just use what they already have.

V&V has enough for me to like it with fairly minor houserules in place.  At one point or another, I've owned the majority of the supers systems that have been written.  I'm still going back to V&V.  Something would have to be pretty special to remove it from that spot (and M&M was not the pony).

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #10 - Dec 14th, 2009 at 2:52pm
Print Post  
Quote:

I'd have to say Jeff Dee's (and Bill Willingham's) art!

IP Logged

AslanC
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Dec 14th, 2009 at 9:19pm
Print Post  
Love your handle Doctor Foom!

Well I am rereading V&V right now and I have to say that I love the old school feel, but it is very very clunky.

I truely feel there are ways to streamline it and it was my hope to solicit input and even advice from the people who have carried the torch, unlike myself who dropped it for MSH.

I hope I didn't offend anyone, and I apologize for any ruffled feathers.

IP Logged

Rick
Apprentice

Reply #12 - Dec 14th, 2009 at 9:22pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Love your handle Doctor Foom!

Well I am rereading V&V right now and I have to say that I love the old school feel, but it is very very clunky.

I truely feel there are ways to streamline it and it was my hope to solicit input and even advice from the people who have carried the torch, unlike myself who dropped it for MSH.

I hope I didn't offend anyone, and I apologize for any ruffled feathers. 

To be honest, one-third the guys on this site have more house rules than you can shake a giant stick at--so I don't think you'll be offending anyone's feathers by offering up your own take on thing or asking for input.

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #13 - Dec 15th, 2009 at 11:02am
Print Post  
Thanks, AslanC.

And Rick's right. It's a 30 year old game and the mechanics could use some cleaning up. Gravity Control is something that always ground our games to a halt.
But the feel and spirit of the game is tough to beat.

IP Logged

Justice
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Dec 15th, 2009 at 11:17am
Print Post  
I asked this question myself back over on the old forum - for probably the same reasons! I WANT TO SEE A REAL "THIRD EDITION"! Cheesy

It did not occur to me that Power Points were so intrinsically V&V until now. The do a lot and can help equal the playing field between the Super strong and the super smart, for instance.

V&V is a high-maintenance car, that you HAVE to tune-up for each GM, each PC.

The formulas, the 15 second turn, the 4.4 calculation for converting useless inches per turn into real-world mph, all of these make the system 'feel' legitimate. There are no 'generalities' in V&V measurements, but there are in 'powers.' That's a great way of grabbing the 'comic style', that OHOTMU verisimilitude you want.

[For an example of what I mean, the OHOTMU would tell you PRECISELY how much force Cyclops optic blast had - but the explanation of how Scott Summers had this power was a bit wonky - power from an extra-spatial dimension??? WHA????(IIRC)]

But the fact is, once gameplay begins, esp. combat, detail bogs it down. So he looks great on paper, my beloved PC, but he is hard to use!

V&V also allows multiple Mega-Powers or "package deals" on a single roll. This is pretty cool but can be a terror to the unsuspecting GM.

Player: "Hey! I just rolled Animal/Plant Powers, Bionics, Ice Powers, Absorption, Armor B and Mutant Power!" Whaddaya think?!"

GM: "I think you ain't playing in my campaign...."

However, I think that making ALL powers/abilities a la carte choices would be a mistake.

I think Random Creation is essential (with modification to fit the PC as the rules suggest). Far too often we can get in a rut as creatives. Random Generation is often inspirational.

Lastly, I think V&V should have Hit Points. It seems obvious, but other systems don't use them and I can see that, but V&V is  - well -  "D&D with superpowers" - and an old dog like me enjoys that.

Oh - on the same note: HP modifiers are DEFINITELY "V&V" to me!

peace
justice

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #15 - Dec 15th, 2009 at 2:54pm
Print Post  
Wow!  You guys have already summed up so well what makes V&V distinctive (and gives it it's flavor) that it will be hard to add to it.  Like Justice, I hadn't given as much thought to Power, until it was pointed out here (and now I agree).  In addition to Power, and the 15 second turn with phases (and initiative with your character moving every 15 phases) and Hit Points and the Combat Chart and Random Powers (random charts truly do lend inspiration) and the other things listed, I'll add:

- The unique way of figuring out Carrying Capacity (and the way it gets exponentially larger as Strength scores go up)
- The open-endedness of so many powers (especially Mutant Power, Body Power, Special Weapon, etc.)
- Levels (and the ability of characters to progress as they go up Levels)
- The very visual look of the game (markers, illustrations, drawings for every main adversary, etc.)
- The opportunity to use all kinds of dice (it's fun to sometimes do 2d8 or 1d4 as opposed to doing everything based off of 6-sided die or d20)
- Quickness of character creation (a huge plus that makes it fun to crank out new characters!)

I'm sure there's many more things, and I'm not sure which of them I would die without, but they're some of the things unique to the game that make it special, in my view.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #16 - Dec 15th, 2009 at 3:09pm
Print Post  
You know, if I had to pick ONE thing that made V&V unique (and this will kind of be multiple things piled into one, and a combination of some things said already), I think I would go with:

- The freedom and ability to make a character you want based on random rolls.

One of my friends/players is a big fan of Champions.  What is ironic (and he has mentioned this a few times) is that I'm much more of a detail-oriented, anal retentive, specifics, 'crunchy' kind of person.

He is not; he's much more open-ended, loose, less-detailed, and not as into crunching numbers.

For some strange reasons, even though Champions seems like it would be a better fit for me (and V&V for him) we were drawn to the opposites.

And analyzing that leads me to realize that one of V&V's big strengths (and thing that gives it it's unique flavor) is the way you can pick a chart (like Magic/Psionic Items, or Skills, or whatever) and you can then fine-tune that character (with many open-ended powers) to get what you're looking for.

That's not to say that the things like Power score, Hit Point modifiers, and so many other great things make it unique and special.  Just that this feature - the ability to use a random chart that will inspire and lead into making a unique and creative character - is what I think is the most special thing about the game.

IP Logged

AslanC
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Dec 15th, 2009 at 3:18pm
Print Post  
Well I thank you all for your input on this so far, it has given me some insight for sure.  Here's where it stands for me.

1] The Power is a given, but in a much better way than the End from Champions.

2] The powers themselves are very much a big part of V&V for me

3] The fact that your character doesn't get new powers as they grow (always hated that in M&M) but instead just becomes better at using them (something my go-to game MSH was missing).

4] The comparison defense idea, though I think it would better if powers were lumped into 4 or 5 categories, so that way it would be Power Type A vs Power Type B requires a roll of X.

5] The presentation of the original books cannot be beat for classic Smiley

Things I would definitely change if I were updating/revising V&V

A] Hit Points would be gone.  I would certainly use a wound/condition track, I just never have been a fan of hit points in roleplaying games.

B] I would though keep Basic Hits and use that as a measure of how many wounds someone could take.

C] The varying types of dice for everything.  I am one of those people who prefers a singular mechanic in my games, and having them either be a roll over or roll under mechanic.  For me I would chose a d20 (easily covers percentiles chances in 5% increments) and roll over.

D] Ways to better make the random characters.  Perhaps a "Roll for Type" first and then a "Roll For Powers on Table X and Y" thing.  I would also allow up to two or three powers to be rerolled if they didn't make sense.  Sometimes I don't want to play the shape-changing-psionic-cyber-cucumber Wink

That's all I have other than going into the powers themselves and seeing what needs to be tweaked or is utterly broken.

Cheers, keep it coming Smiley

IP Logged

Rick
Apprentice

Reply #18 - Dec 15th, 2009 at 3:28pm
Print Post  
Quote:
3] The fact that your character doesn't get new powers as they grow (always hated that in M&M) but instead just becomes better at using them (something my go-to game MSH was missing).

Ditto. Just about everyone I know rolls there eyes when a character in comics suddenly gets a brand new ability out of the blue. Jack Herman and Jeff Dee were wise for discouraging that element in the game instead of adding it into the rules. When I audition new players, anyone who has that munchkiny "when do I get to buy new powers" attitude doesn't join the game. This isn't kindergarten, folks.
« Last Edit: Dec 15th, 2009 at 3:29pm by Rick »  

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #19 - Dec 15th, 2009 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
Quote:
A] Hit Points would be gone.I would certainly use a wound/condition track, I just never have been a fan of hit points in roleplaying games.

WHAT?!?! <smashes beer bottle on bar to make a jagged edge weapon>  Them's fightin words.

Just kidding.

IP Logged

AslanC
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Dec 15th, 2009 at 8:32pm
Print Post  
Well the way I was seeing it is that Basic Hits could be would levels, or the number of which you have.  For each one you lose, you take a cumulative -1 penalty.

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #21 - Dec 15th, 2009 at 11:04pm
Print Post  
I had suggested long ago on Critical Fumble, I think, to use basic hits to show how many levels of hit points you had.  So that was sort of similar to what you are suggesting.

Essentially, you get your hit point multiplier in hit points for each basic hit.  In the end, you have the same number of hit points, but there are wound levels involved.

For example, a character with hit mods of 1.6 * 1.8 * 1.2 * 1.0 has 3.456 hit point multiplier.  Round this up to 4.  So if the character has 4 basic hits, for every 4 points of damage they take to hit points, they have a wound level.

Not much reception to the idea.

IP Logged

AslanC
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Dec 15th, 2009 at 11:10pm
Print Post  
How does that compare to the normal amount of hit points a character has?

Is it more, less or roughly the same?

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #23 - Dec 16th, 2009 at 12:25am
Print Post  
I personally am a big fan of Hit Points, and - though I admit it is far more realistic (and I'm cool with it in other games) - I very much like the idea that you don't get big minuses as you get pulverized in V&V.

I think of the guy we see in Rick's icon (Bruce Willis in Die Hard); he just keeps getting pounded, but - despite the fact that he should be at a -6 to do everything - he becomes even more heroic and pulls off even more amazing feats!!!    Shocked

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #24 - Dec 16th, 2009 at 12:28am
Print Post  
Okay, apologies for blatantly ripping off someone else's words (eclecticscholar from the Yahoo group), but I thought this summary (which I discovered tonight as I was cleaning up old emails) summed up perfectly what makes V&V unique.

This was originally written in February of 2008 and before I deleted it I thought I would post it here for all here to appreciate (hopefully the original author won't mind).  Keep in mind this was in the midst of a discussion about "mythic" and the differences between V&V and M&M.

Also, though this comes from a heated debate about V&V and M&M, I'm really not trying to relay the author's comments about M&M here.  Others on the list chimed in saying that the opinions expressed about M&M's "unflexibility" are untrue, and - as I've never played it - I don't mean to pass along anything untrue.  I keep the entire post intact so that you can see the whole thing in context (and it will make more sense, hopefully).  Rather than focusing on any unflexibility on M&M's part, I wanted to focus on how much creativity and flexibility V&V has:

In comic books and in V&V both, most shapeshifters can
assume any form, even forms they had never considered
or encountered until that moment.

In M&M, a shapeshifter can never improvise. The
ability to change size, or to include plasticity, etc.
must be all be arranged and purchased from the very
start.

In comic books and in V&V both, most speedsters can
improvise a large number of superspeed tricks.

In M&M, again, a speedster can only do what was
purchased from the very start. No improvisation. No
organic flow.

This facility for improvisation and for fluidity of
powers is what makes V&V mythic.

Because in modern mythic tales, whether space opera or
fantasy or superhero, heroes are able to improvise
beyond their strict by-the-numbers abilities to
accomplish more when the moment is right.

Because in modern mythic tales, what matters is
creativity and energy, not strict adherence to a
pre-set and unchanging set of statistics.

V&V provides that improvisational breadth and has
built into its rules those openings for creativity and
energy.

M&M lacks such fluidity and openness to improvisation.
Because of M&M's inherited D20 crunchiness, an M&M
hero is incapable of going significantly beyond what
has been pre-set from the start. In any M&M game run
by the M&M rules, strict by-the-numbers adherence is
the rule of the day.
« Last Edit: Dec 16th, 2009 at 12:35am by Majestic »  

IP Logged

AslanC
Ex Member

Reply #25 - Dec 16th, 2009 at 12:32am
Print Post  
Interesting post, but Hero Points allow for exactly what he is saying M&M doesn't do.  Unless my understanding of Hero Points is way off base.

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #26 - Dec 16th, 2009 at 1:18am
Print Post  
Quote:
How does that compare to the normal amount of hit points a character has?

Is it more, less or roughly the same?

You come out with slightly more hit points because of the rounding up.  In the example I gave, the character ends up with 16 hit points.  The actual character had 14 hit points (3.456 * 4 = 13.824 ^ 14).

IP Logged

AslanC
Ex Member

Reply #27 - Dec 16th, 2009 at 1:36am
Print Post  
I see what you mean.  Interesting, now in your wound levels, what does that mean?  If I lose a wound level what are the results?

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #28 - Dec 16th, 2009 at 1:45am
Print Post  
That was a bone of contention.  You want it to be significant enough that it is a penalty, without crippling the character.  A straight -1 doesn't end up meaning a lot in the long run to a power blaster, but to a melee fighter, it would be crippling.

I never figured out what would be a suitable penalty.  I did consider just increasing PR costs (maybe double, triple, etc) with each level.

IP Logged

AslanC
Ex Member

Reply #29 - Dec 16th, 2009 at 1:49am
Print Post  
I think increasing the PR would address that and Majestic's issue.  Because we did see old John McClane getting very very tired by the end when he kills Hans.

Hmmmm... was making a character tonight BTB and ran into size change.  I had larger at 3 levels and did not relish the idea of making 3 extra character sheets.

IP Logged

AslanC
Ex Member

While I Am Not Running V&V Right Now...
Reply #30 - Dec 28th, 2009 at 12:19am
Print Post  
...let me say something about it.

I think that when people try to make point buy systems for V&V they are killing the most creative and fun part of the game.  Trying to make sense of your powers.

I often wondered if they rolled the villains from the Most Wanted books and then came up with concepts for them.

Certainly there needs to be house rules to smooth out the rough spots, but in the end if you want point buy, M&M or Champions pretty much have it covered quite well.

V&V is a different flavour and a darn good one at that.

So what are your favorite parts of the V&V rules?

IP Logged

>