Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) My Thread For Rules Questions/Clarifications (Read 3223 times)
AslanC
Ex Member

My Thread For Rules Questions/Clarifications
Dec 15th, 2009 at 11:14pm
Print Post  
Rather than start a whole new topic each time I have rules questions, I will just add to this one as I go.

So to start;

1] Levels.  What are the real benefits of going up levels and what is the real difference between say a 1st level character and a 9th level character?

2] If you wanted to have a magical power that allowed yu to essentially try anything, or duplicate any power, in the form of spells, what would it be or how would you do it?

Thanks in advance for the answers

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Re: My Thread For Rules Questions/Clarifications
Reply #1 - Dec 16th, 2009 at 1:15am
Print Post  
1 - Not to be flip about this, but the book lays out 5 points.  Training, Combat level, Security clearance, Inventing points, and salary.  Now, of those, the ones I've seen a real benefit and use from are Training, combat level, and inventing points.  Depending on a particular character, their powers might get stronger as several powers have level in their calculations.

Going back to some of these, a 9th level character is +4 to hit a 1st level character.  A 1st level character is -6 to hit a 9th level character.  To top it off, the 9th level character may have invested his training in Accuracy every level, so now he is +8 to hit with a specific attack.

And having played a gadgeteer (mystical gadgeteer in an awesome PBEM game that I regret ended), inventing points are sooooo nice to have.

2 - This one is trickier, if only because the rules give specific lines about magical spells.  Mind you, the book even says toss it out if you want to.  But following the guidelines in the book, magical spells should be nearly as powerful as a regular superpower.  Also, you have individual spells instead of a broad power.

Alternatively, do it like this:

Magical Cosmic Power (cause it has to have cosmic in there with your request).  The character has access to great magical power and can channel this cosmic energy into various forms as he sees fit.  He can fashion the energy into any attack, defense, or movement form he can conceive.

PR cost for attack and defense are doubled from the base PR cost, or PR = 5 per use at a minimum, whichever is greater.  This applies even if a power does not typically have a PR cost.  For powers where movement is normally used to sustain, the PR cost is applied as well as movement.

That would be my take on it.  I hit it with the high PR cost since you have basically asked for a power to let you have any superpower.  I wouldn't change the statistics that the powers use because the cosmic energies would use the body as a channel in different ways.

That's my 2 cents.  Smiley
« Last Edit: Dec 16th, 2009 at 1:16am by Imaginos »  

IP Logged

AslanC
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Dec 16th, 2009 at 1:35am
Print Post  
Thanks for the answer.

Okay those are both fine, let's move on.

Size Change:  "You may want to make character sheets for each level of size change as it affects..." Really?  I mean really?  That's a bit much no?  Jimmy get's really lucky and has the maximum about of both Growth and Shrinking, that's like 14 character sheets.  Um.. there's gotta be an easier way to do this no?  Is there a House Rule or something?

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #3 - Dec 16th, 2009 at 9:58am
Print Post  
I've never been much of a fan of size-changers in the comics, so I've never played one.  In the old days (pre excel), size change was an auto drop.  However, with my auto-figuring character spreadsheet, it is not such a problem to make a sheet for each different size.

It would still require a bit of work, and I'd be more likely to just add a second page where I show what is affected by the size change instead of making totally new character sheets.
« Last Edit: Dec 16th, 2009 at 9:59am by Imaginos »  

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #4 - Dec 16th, 2009 at 11:15am
Print Post  
Quote:
Size Change:"You may want to make character sheets for each level of size change as it affects..." Really?I mean really?That's a bit much no?Jimmy get's really lucky and has the maximum about of both Growth and Shrinking, that's like 14 character sheets.Um.. there's gotta be an easier way to do this no?Is there a House Rule or something? 

Good point.

I had a guy who could shrink to multiple sizes. He only had one sheet, normal and "small" because once you've gained the +8 agility mod from weight, and altered the basic hits (if you play that way), the rest can fit.
You can comfortably fit two sets of hit points, power points on one sheet. And many sets of range, movement, carry cap, etc. in the notes section or on the back

Multiple sizes larger or both ways would be rough.

A way to run Size Change: Larger with multiples might be to only have one sheet with normal stats. Then when he does hth damage, multiply the rolled damage by the height factor. And divide incoming damage by the height factor.
Likewise multiply range, movement, etc. by height factor on the spot. And multiply carry cap by weight factor on the spot.
Hmm. I dunno. One sheet, but a lot of math on the fly.

IP Logged

AslanC
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Dec 16th, 2009 at 12:40pm
Print Post  
I think this is what people mean when they say a mechanic is "broken".

Now when I say there has to be a better way to do this, all I am thinking is either remove the size changes effect on hit points or something like that.

I don't know.

IP Logged

Hammer
Justice Leaguer

Stranger in a Stranger
Land

Reply #6 - Dec 16th, 2009 at 2:06pm
Print Post  
OK, I started off on a rant to disagree with both of you, as I've seen similar scenarios where you end up with a PC doing 6d10 HTH and having 18 HP, but as I read your posts again, I caught the dividing incoming damage by the heights factor which takes that into account.

I'd have to play test it, but it sounds like it might work. 

Like Eric, I'm hooked on excel, and I have done the multiple character sheets for a PC many times with little difficulty.  I actually had a character that could boost his ability scores, basically a variable heightened ability.  I had him roll for each ability both at the Heighted A and B levels, and he had character sheets for whichever stats he modified.  I beleive there is a villain Boosterman (Opponents Unlimited I think) that has a similar ability.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #7 - Dec 16th, 2009 at 4:53pm
Print Post  
You're right, Hammer, Boosterman is similar (in having multiple character sheets).

To me it's a simple fix.  Definately not something that's 'broken' (though Size Change IS broken when combo'd with some other powers).  One member in our group had Size Change, and he simply did as you guys are mentioning (multiple character sheets in Excel).  I suppose it really comes down to this: players who enjoy (or can handle) multiple character sheets will go for a character like this, and ones who want the streamlined simplicity of one character sheet won't.  Some people enjoy making character sheets (or making new characters) enough that I can see them making up a dozen character sheets for one PC.  Others have trouble remembering to bring their one character sheet when they play, and they wouldn't be the right person for this power!   Smiley

Another thing worth noting (I've done this before - as GM helping players figure out which sizes they will use and with NPCs): Once the numbers are finally crunched, players will find that - even if they have a dozen different 'sizes' to choose from - there are only a couple of 'optimum' ones.  One of our PCs has numerous forms (and character sheets) with a character that absorbs abilities/powers (so very similar in the multiple character sheet arena).

Players will usually hone things down to "small form", "medium form", and "large form" (or something similar).  While the forms in between might have some nice features, the reality is that the extremes usually maximize the benefits.

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #8 - Dec 17th, 2009 at 12:22pm
Print Post  
More questions please, AslanC!

IP Logged

AslanC
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Dec 17th, 2009 at 12:28pm
Print Post  
Okay Doctor Foom;

Why are Ice Powers and Super Speed a deadly combination?  I have seen people refer to it but no one has really explained it.

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #10 - Dec 17th, 2009 at 1:02pm
Print Post  
For one, you will ALWAYS have 100 armor - assuming you roll at least a 10 on your Ht Speed roll (which = 100").  You have 100" of movement to spend on creating and maintaining ice armor.  Then you have your regular movement on top of that.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #11 - Dec 17th, 2009 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Okay Doctor Foom;

Why are Ice Powers and Super Speed a deadly combination?  I have seen people refer to it but no one has really explained it.

Eric explained it well; allow me to elaborate (as I witnessed it firsthand in our campaign).

This actually ties in a little bit with that thread about female players, as one of my long-time friends got his wife to join us.  She had a character, White Leopard - who had both Heightened Agility (really, really high), possibly a Speed Bonus (definitely lots of Movement), and Ice Powers.  We soon found how problematic this was (that's a nice way of saying that it's completely broken), but the dynamics were such that she didn't enjoy playing that much anyway, and the concern was that nerfing her character (or bringing it more into balance) would have potentially chased her out of the group.  They're now long ago divorced (and he's not even a part of the group except rarely as he moved out of state), but that was the dynamics of what we were dealing with.

See, the defensive abilities in V&V (most of them anyway - Invulnerability being somewhat the exception, though it sometimes might not work against every form of damage) have a downside, and end up being double-edged swords.

Armor (as has been written about here extensively) is supposed to have a chance of systems failure when it takes damage.  It's also really expensive to repair.

Force Field, one of the most powerful ways of avoiding damage, can end up taking double hits, costing damage to your Power AND your HP.

Evasion costs an Action, so it makes one sacrifice some of your offensive capabilities.

Ice Armor, especially when combined with any kind of speed or movement bonus (even high Agility) becomes problematic because the character could do something like this:

37: Character saves their action (sitting there with 100 Armor)

22: Character saves their action (still at 100 ADR).

20: Character gets hit by opponent; let's suppose it's a big hit and takes away 20 points of Armor, so now they've got 80.

20: The Ice character retaliates, using Movement to immediately bump their Armor back to 100, then attacks their opponent normally.

Note they STILL have a saved action (so can bump their armor to an impregnable 100 at any time) and they will still move twice again before the end of the turn.

The ability to constantly keep one's Armor at 100 (with no chance of it "getting through"), combined with no chance of damage to that Armor and no cost, makes this extremely abusive (read=broken).

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #12 - Dec 17th, 2009 at 5:27pm
Print Post  
Yep, and you have a 91% chance with Heightened Speed to have enough movement on top of your regular movement to keep your armor at 100.  As long as you roll at least 10 on the % roll for Heightened Speed, you will have 100" of movement minimum.  You could take 100 points of armor damage, and be back up to full, while still having movement left.

IP Logged

AslanC
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Dec 17th, 2009 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
So what's the fix for all this broken?

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #14 - Dec 17th, 2009 at 6:06pm
Print Post  
A simple one would be only allowing it to be regenerated 1 time per turn.  Then the hero has to decide if going back from 80 to 100 is worth it now, or regen it when it goes down to 40.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #15 - Dec 17th, 2009 at 6:47pm
Print Post  
Or make a maximum allowed to be regenerated per turn, or making it have a much higher cost (an Action or PR).

Or simply not allowing that combo.   Smiley

IP Logged

Hammer
Justice Leaguer

Stranger in a Stranger
Land

Reply #16 - Dec 17th, 2009 at 7:59pm
Print Post  
I've experienced this in my group as well, in several threads I have stated that ice powers is an uber power, you get soo much for so little.  I know the damage is not that great, but you are a tank, and I don't think the power was necessarily intended to be that way.  I think John says when his characters create ice armor, their movement is permenantly reduced by the amount of movement they use (like creating a mound of ice around them).  I'd argue that the character would also have to deal with the weight of that mound.  at 50#/inch, unless they have a lot of strength, it's going to be difficult to "ice up" to 100 ADR.  There can definitely be limits implied that do not go against the rules, but again, is that what was intended... I'm not so sure.  I don't remember Ice Man being the behemoth tanker of the X-Men... and yet he still had those slides to provide movement.  I'd have to agree, best bet is to nix the pair.

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #17 - Dec 17th, 2009 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
Quote:
So what's the fix for all this broken? 

Only use basic ground movement (Str + End + Ag) for the number of points that can be regenerated each turn, which was the intention of the rule.

Or lose ice armor entirely from Ice Powers. Ice Powers is supposed to emulate Iceman all in one power, but Bobby Drake can't withstand a hundred points of damage in the comics, like Hammer said.
'Icing up' could just be him turning on his Ice Powers defense, like Torch's 'flaming on' just activates his Flame Powers defense.

What else ya got, AslanC? 
Great thread!
« Last Edit: Dec 17th, 2009 at 8:11pm by Doctor Foom »  
IP Logged

AslanC
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Dec 17th, 2009 at 8:10pm
Print Post  
Other projects are distracting me right now, let me get back to you on this one.

Oh and I agree with Doctor Foom's fix.

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #19 - Dec 17th, 2009 at 8:20pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Other projects are distracting me right now, let me get back to you on this one.

Fair enough. Thanks.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #20 - Dec 18th, 2009 at 3:48pm
Print Post  
Quote:

Oh and I agree with Doctor Foom's fix.

I like Doctor Foom's fix as well, and am going to suggest it to my group.  It's one I never thought of before.  Alternately, imposing a penalty based on weight and the bulk the ice armor causes (as Hammer suggested) makes a lot of sense, too.

IP Logged

Hammer
Justice Leaguer

Stranger in a Stranger
Land

Reply #21 - Dec 19th, 2009 at 10:19pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Dec 18th, 2009 at 3:48pm:
Alternately, imposing a penalty based on weight and the bulk the ice armor causes (as Hammer suggested) makes a lot of sense, too. 

That was actually me quoting John from another posting...

Thanks for the credit though. Smiley

IP Logged

>