Poll
Poll Question: What class helps you the most in RPGs?

« Created by: Captain Kurt on: Dec 20th, 2009 at 2:19am »
Normal Topic What class helps you the most in RPGs? (Read 688 times)
Captain Kurt
Sidekick

Gone Fishing

What class helps you the most in RPGs?
Dec 20th, 2009 at 2:19am
Print Post  
Which class helps you the most when you play V&V and other RPGs? I didn't list lesser-known classes, just the core areas. If there's another class that helps you most, check Other and tell us what it is.

I'm voting for Math! Especially when we covered geometry and statistics. Algebra? Not so much.
« Last Edit: Dec 20th, 2009 at 2:20am by Captain Kurt »  

IP Logged

Hammer
Justice Leaguer

Stranger in a Stranger
Land

Re: What class helps you the most in RPGs?
Reply #1 - Dec 21st, 2009 at 7:10pm
Print Post  
I went with English Lit/Writing, you've got to be able to put together a good story or it's just number crunching.  My wife's a mathmetician, and it is nice sometimes to have her around.   Wink

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #2 - Dec 24th, 2009 at 12:27am
Print Post  
As much as I'd like to vote for Science, it's probably more helpful in RPGs to understand the way science works in the gameworld than the way science actually works. Even the most realistic superhero campaign requires a reasonably strong suspension of disbelief.

So I voted for English lit., but strongly recommend learning more about science to understand how the laws of superhero physics often deviate from real world physics (and chemistry, and biology, etc.).

IP Logged

Justice
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Dec 26th, 2009 at 12:38am
Print Post  
I went with Art/Music and would have voted for Drama if it were offered.

Those disciplines are about Form, Structure and Emotional Resonance - communicating through sound and visuals for great impact on the observer/viewer/participant.

You think you have to "know" a thing or two to run a successful RPG, and IMHO, you have to know how to touch the player's imaginations and heart - otherwise it becomes dull and uninteresting.

Obviously, this IS multi-disciplinary in bringing an exciting experience to the table.

But I can quote facts, let scientific principles be understood from other media - yet when I have to RUN the game and get the PCs palms sweating or have a thrilling chase to catch a villain, I need to know how to embrace, cradle and magnify all their fears, hopes and weaknesses for gripping drama.

Art helps me do this. So does Music - simply by having to learn the power of tempo and rhythm.

The rest is good, but the question was "What class helps you the most in 'role-playing games'?

I would say anything increasing role-playing of the PCs by a bunch of bored gamers!

And when you start out a super-spy game with THIS, you can't keep them uninterested for long!

Cheesy
« Last Edit: Dec 26th, 2009 at 12:53am by »  

IP Logged

>