Normal Topic Music Soundtracks! (Read 1533 times)
Captain Kurt
Sidekick

Gone Fishing

Music Soundtracks!
Dec 19th, 2009 at 1:51am
Print Post  
What music does everyone like. Do you ever try playing music in the background during gaming sessions? It's like having a soundtrack for a movie.

One of my friends got us hooked on classical music by playing that in the background when he was DM. You don't want the lyrics to interfere with the gaming.

Although sometimes just the right song at the right moment works. My uncle was a huge KISS fan. He even had the KISS comics when they were superheores. I like to play that in the background.

My character's wife in the game is named Beth. When my player has to miss dinner to fight crime, we play Peter Chris' song "Beth, what can I do. do-do-do. Beth what can I do..." it's a classic.

Plus, playing music gives everyone something to do when they're waiting to roll their turn.

One of the game groups that meets at a coffehouse in my neighborhood lets players bring laptops and text during gaming. I think that's lame. The JSA don't text the Avengers in the middle of a battle, and neither should players! Cool

« Last Edit: Dec 19th, 2009 at 1:53am by Captain Kurt »  

IP Logged

Justice
Ex Member

Re: Music Soundtracks!
Reply #1 - Dec 19th, 2009 at 2:46am
Print Post  
Yes - I have definitely used music to either set the mood for the game - Mission: Impossible movie theme for 'super-agent' campaign - or something more atmospheric for a revelation scene [I used the soundtrack for Blade Runner which has Decker's photo analysis as a sound byte - I played this at a Con when the heroes found a robotic head identical in design to one of their heroes... and were examining it as it began speaking.]

I think a gaming session should function as a 'create as you go' movie - and if I can be prepared enough, I LOVES me some appropriately dramatic background music!
« Last Edit: Dec 19th, 2009 at 2:47am by »  

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #2 - Dec 19th, 2009 at 1:25pm
Print Post  
Absolutely!  When we play Lord of the Rings RPG, I put on Lord of the Rings soundtracks; for Star Wars or Star Trek gaming, I put on CDs with the appropriate soundtracks as well.

For Supers, I put on any of the above, or other movie soundtracks.  Often I've just put in three discs and put it to shuffle (random).  It's amazing how often the timing of a particular song hits at just the right dramatic moment!

On a related note, the first RPG session I ever GMd was Top Secret.  I had a record (that really dates me, doesn't it?) with James Bond music (I'm pretty sure it was the soundtrack from For Your Eyes Only) playing in the background), and it was playing just the perfect music when we wrapped that first session, just as the player's table at a cafe was sinking down into an underground level.  I couldn't have possibly planned it as perfect!    Smiley

I have to agree about texting (and other like behaviors).  I've even recently realized that having the TV on in the background (even with just a sporting event) is not a good idea, as it is too distracting for the players.

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #3 - Dec 22nd, 2009 at 3:21pm
Print Post  
Agree with the above. The Star Trek 2, Wrath of Khan album was a favorite. Also, the soundtrack to the Heavy Metal movie.

Also, using hero-themed music for V&V, like "Captain America Calling" and "Wish I Could Fly Like Superman" by the Kinks.

IP Logged

Captain Kurt
Sidekick

Gone Fishing

Reply #4 - Dec 22nd, 2009 at 3:38pm
Print Post  
Anotehr classic we've used is "We don't need another hero" by Tina Turner.

One of my friends likes the Superman song that goes "I can't stand to fly, I'm not that naive ... I'm more than a bird, more than a plane, more than some pretty face beside a train."

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #5 - Dec 22nd, 2009 at 5:33pm
Print Post  
The problem I've always had with soundtracking a game is that you either:
a) have everything queued up and read to go at a specific keypunch
b) just have the music playing and try to have somewhat appropriate music
c) just play music and don't worry about coordinating music with activity in game

We always did C back in the old days, but found it more disturbing to our focus these days.

IP Logged

Captain Kurt
Sidekick

Gone Fishing

Reply #6 - Dec 22nd, 2009 at 5:38pm
Print Post  
If it's distracting, definitely don't use music. It's got to enhance the mood, not mess with it.

Classical music is really good, though. I didn't get into classical music until we started playing it during games.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #7 - Dec 23rd, 2009 at 5:09pm
Print Post  
Agree about Classical music, and soundtracks from many sci-fi/fantasy movies and shows often have that same feel.  You definitely want to make sure to use stuff without lyrics, as that can be distracting.

IP Logged

Justice
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Dec 23rd, 2009 at 11:56pm
Print Post  
Another great soundtrack: Star Trek VI The Undiscovered Country.

And of course, the THOR song!!

Grin

If you really want some "just for the minute" themes I suggest Two Steps From Hell's collection - which alas is on the internet but NOT commercially available to the common folk...

I was SO going to use this for the Guardian's at GC 2009, but I chickened out.

Another good choice is Brian Tyler's soundtrack for Children of Dune - this part will sound VERY familiar...

« Last Edit: Dec 24th, 2009 at 12:19am by »  

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #9 - Dec 26th, 2009 at 12:39pm
Print Post  
   Glenn Millers " In the Mood" and " Golden Slumbers" by The Beatles.

IP Logged

>