Normal Topic My House Rules (Read 1881 times)
John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

My House Rules
Feb 28th, 2010 at 1:59pm
Print Post  
  I have just finished writing up all my house rules into one document.    If you click the banner you can go to it, or you can  click here.

The numbers are point you to the section of the Villains and Vigilantes rulebook that is altered.
« Last Edit: Feb 28th, 2010 at 2:29pm by John »  

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Hammer
Justice Leaguer

Stranger in a Stranger
Land

Re: My House Rules
Reply #1 - Feb 28th, 2010 at 4:47pm
Print Post  
Awesome, thanks for sharing!

I'm trying some modification of Armor, using Invulnerability vs. ADR for Ice Armor... bascally ADR/3 Invulnerability, replaced by expending movement, 3"/pt. Max 30, but I haven't been able to work out the weight aspect.  I have started limiting ADR to Str+End+Agility, which I think was something I got on this board, basically ADR is limited to your base " in move.  I like the idea of adding the wt. for the armor to the character wt. for Agility Mod purposes.

Ice powers are just tough, I mean many powers are, but this is really one I've struggled with, and it seems like every campaign one of the PCs gets it.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #2 - Feb 28th, 2010 at 7:31pm
Print Post  
I have a lot of reading to do. As soon as I got to the section about losing aspects of a power to gain in other aspects of the same power I figured I would have to read this very carefully.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #3 - Mar 1st, 2010 at 7:25pm
Print Post  
Has anyone read them besides Oni?  I am asking because I would like to know if they make sense to you.  Sometimes I am not the most eloquent person.

And if anyone else has tried my rules,  I would love some feedback.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #4 - Mar 1st, 2010 at 8:04pm
Print Post  
I know there was a whole thread regarding Ice Powers. Why not make it simple and if a character comes up with Ice powers they can take Armor as an option and drop another power? Limit it by not giving them the extra weight but make the ADR equal to their base movement rate and one action per turn to keep it up.

IP Logged

The Cougar
Avenger

Roll 1d20 against ...

Reply #5 - Mar 1st, 2010 at 11:20pm
Print Post  
I have read over it and it seems pretty clear, but I plan on spending the month of March to really go over it in depth.

Who knows maybe I can convince Hammer to playtest them with me.  Wink

V&V character creation is too much fun.
                                     - Doctor Foom

Megalopolis PBEM
http://vav-megalopolis-pbem.blogspot.com/

IP Logged

Hammer
Justice Leaguer

Stranger in a Stranger
Land

Reply #6 - Mar 2nd, 2010 at 6:20pm
Print Post  
I read them all, and I really like a lot of the stuff.  I'm torn with the "gain additional powers" part.  PC's tend to go up in level faster at lower levels to me... maybe not soo much, but I do like the balance of level vs. # of powers. 

I've played around quite a bit with allowing the PCs to "develop" powers, using training/inventions, and they do tend to get a lot tougher pretty quickly... I did almost exactly what you did with Telepathy, allowing a PC to develop other powers. 

Thanks so much for posting this!

IP Logged

Lord Inar
Justice Leaguer

Reply #7 - Apr 16th, 2010 at 11:56am
Print Post  
Hi John,

I read parts of your house rules and I see a lot of neat stuff in there, so just take any suggestions I have as wanting to improve it rather than criticizing it

Exertion:
I think it should be "You take the extra weight, subtract from it the normal carrying capacity..." instead of "You take the extra weight, subtract it from the normal carrying capacity..."

Another way to word it might be:
"You subtract the character's normal carrying capacity from the weight lifted; the character takes damage based on this weight using the brawling weapons chart."

My personal bias is to simplify things like experience and such, but that's just me.
Why not just every # powers level they can "train" a new power instead of the usual training?
So, like your example, a character with four powers and one weakness can choose at second level to start "Training" a new power, which they will then get at third level (4 powers-1weakness = 3).
That way, the low-powered guys have a chance to catch up. Of course if the small number of powers have lots of perks (like armor) the GM should feel free to limiting it to a skill or something like that.

Skill rolls
Do they start with any skills? (Maybe I missed it)
If you want them to, how about they start with a number of skills equal to their Int damage bonus to keep it from getting out of hand

I'll probably have more later.

- Marc
« Last Edit: Apr 16th, 2010 at 11:57am by Lord Inar »  

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #8 - Apr 16th, 2010 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
Damn typos.  Feel free to let me know about any typos in my house rules.  I meant pretty much what you said.

Your system of gaining new powers is pretty neat.  I like it.   Good idea.

And  skills and knowledge areas are pretty much the same thing in my game.  So they don't start out with skills unless they spend their start up points on them.    Let me know if this clears up your question or just muddies it even more.

IP Logged

>