Poll
Poll closed Question: How powerful is Paralysis Ray?
bars   pie
*** This poll has now closed ***

Too Powerful: I have house rule changing it    
  3 (42.9%)
Powerful: It is a last resort power.    
  0 (0.0%)
Strong: I have to increase villains to compensate    
  3 (42.9%)
Balance: Inability to hit with it offsets power    
  1 (14.3%)
Weak: Roll against End means minimal impact    
  0 (0.0%)

Total votes: 7
« Created by: The Cougar on: Mar 3rd, 2010 at 9:17am »
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) How powerful in Paralysis Ray? (Read 2831 times)
The Cougar
Avenger

Roll 1d20 against ...

How powerful in Paralysis Ray?
Mar 3rd, 2010 at 9:17am
Print Post  
Again I was reading Opponents Unlimited, studying the Tarot Masters.

For such a great concept there are fundemental weaknesses in them I keep wanting to strengthen.  In looking at the Swords part of the Minor Arcana, I noticed their swords had a Paralysis carrier attack.

This brought to mind the question?  How powerful is that?  Would that make the Swords too powerful?  Able to go toe-to-toe with the best of the heroes.

I like the GM rule of 3 thugs to every average powered hero.  Would the sword with paralysis carrier attack elevate all of the Swords out of thug category?

I am wanting to structure it where the Ace, King, Queen, and Knight equal a Crusader level hero and the rest of the Suite are thug level.  So on average a team of 7 heroes would be able to fight a suite straight up.

Thanks for your help.

V&V character creation is too much fun.
                                     - Doctor Foom

Megalopolis PBEM
http://vav-megalopolis-pbem.blogspot.com/

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Re: How powerful in Paralysis Ray?
Reply #1 - Mar 3rd, 2010 at 10:19am
Print Post  
If you think this version of Paralysis Ray is powerful, you should have seen the 1st edition version.

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

Hammer
Justice Leaguer

Stranger in a Stranger
Land

Reply #2 - Mar 3rd, 2010 at 10:36am
Print Post  
This is a tough one, I've used Paralysis Ray as a plot device to get the PCs to a certain point in the plot, but generally speaking, it's one tough power. 

I'd drop it from the listing if you want them to be thug level.  I think the HTH to hit with swords would limit the number of times they would hit, but the possibility that any hit could drop a hero is a little unbalancing.  Also, once they are down, it's not usually a quick wake up, % saves are difficult for most PCs whatever the case.

I actually have a PC with Paralysis Ray, a taser gun, and I always use it as a weapon of last resort, to prevent unbalancing things.

IP Logged

STORMDANCE
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #3 - Mar 3rd, 2010 at 3:13pm
Print Post  
I think a simple solution would be to limit the duration of the Paralysis to one turn. The target misses one turn and then are back in action, no wake up roll required. My character Scion that I run in John's campaign has an HTH Paralysis carrier attack that works this way. Helps a lot if the HTH hit lands or penetrates the target's defenses and can help when the party is in danger of being overwhelmed but it is definitely not too powerful this way.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #4 - Mar 3rd, 2010 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
Did anyone read John's take on it in his new Rules update?

Paralysis Ray: Pr=7  takes 1d20 +modifiers off of targets movement and initiative.   If initiative is reduced to zero, target can not act.

IP Logged

Hammer
Justice Leaguer

Stranger in a Stranger
Land

Reply #5 - Mar 3rd, 2010 at 9:57pm
Print Post  
I missed that, I'll go back and read it again.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #6 - Mar 5th, 2010 at 3:36pm
Print Post  
THE ONI wrote on Mar 3rd, 2010 at 8:17pm:
Did anyone read John's take on it in his new Rules update?

Paralysis Ray: Pr=7  takes 1d20 +modifiers off of targets movement and initiative.   If initiative is reduced to zero, target can not act. 

I like this!  To me, Paralysis Ray - as written - is too powerful to be in the hands of a PC or standard NPC.  I've written a house rule that it should be used sparingly, such as by GMs effectively using it as a plot device (to get all the heroes to a particular place).

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #7 - Mar 5th, 2010 at 6:26pm
Print Post  
I agree with Hammer and Majestic. Paralysis Ray is a plot device.

At least with Ratman it was a carrier attack off a HTH hit, iirc.
« Last Edit: Mar 5th, 2010 at 6:48pm by Doctor Foom »  
IP Logged

Troy
Teen Titan

Reply #8 - Mar 5th, 2010 at 6:31pm
Print Post  
I've seen paralysis ray work if you have a team against a team, or if there's a hero fighting thugs. But it doesn't work as well if you have a team against one foe, unless the foe has a defense against it.

Way back when, when the Rangers were fighting Hulk, one of the heroes in the group had a paralyzing gun. It effected Hulk only briefly. In game terms, it'd be like he was paralyzed at the end of one turn, then made his saving throw to recover right afterward.

IP Logged

Troy
Teen Titan

Reply #9 - Mar 5th, 2010 at 6:33pm
Print Post  
Another consideration is that ultimately transmutation can be just as tough as paralysis ray if you can turn someone into a statue, etc. (as often is the case with the published NPCS). And the PR cost is about the same, 8 instead of 7.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #10 - Mar 7th, 2010 at 12:16am
Print Post  
Troy wrote on Mar 5th, 2010 at 6:33pm:
Another consideration is that ultimately transmutation can be just as tough as paralysis ray if you can turn someone into a statue, etc. (as often is the case with the published NPCS). And the PR cost is about the same, 8 instead of 7.

That's true, and I hadn't thought of it initially.  Transmutation - for whatever reason - doesn't come up that often; maybe it's not as common on the various charts.

Transmutation also says that the GM can make it standard wake-up rolls or set a time limit for it.

You're right, though, it can be just as nasty.

IP Logged

The Cougar
Avenger

Roll 1d20 against ...

Reply #11 - Mar 7th, 2010 at 10:05am
Print Post  

So true the White Witch's wand in the The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe was one of the most powerful weapons in all of Fantasy Literature.

V&V character creation is too much fun.
                                     - Doctor Foom

Megalopolis PBEM
http://vav-megalopolis-pbem.blogspot.com/

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #12 - Mar 7th, 2010 at 12:08pm
Print Post  
I agree with Transmutation that is why I modified the power like this.  It can be found in my house rules.

Transmutation: same as the rules but it only fully transforms a living thing when all its basic hits gets changed .Structures are changed piecemeal. Ex:  Transmuto  blasts Meta Man with a transmutation ray.  He hits and rolls 20 damage.   Meta Man’s invulnerability deals with ten, and he rolls with seven more.  So he only takes  3 damage. This is nowhere near enough to turn him to stone, so all that happened was some hair on his arms turn to stone and fall off.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #13 - Mar 13th, 2010 at 6:04pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Mar 7th, 2010 at 12:08pm:
I agree with Transmutation that is why I modified the power like this.  It can be found in my house rules.

Transmutation: same as the rules but it only fully transforms a living thing when all its basic hits gets changed .Structures are changed piecemeal. Ex:  Transmuto  blasts Meta Man with a transmutation ray.  He hits and rolls 20 damage.   Meta Man’s invulnerability deals with ten, and he rolls with seven more.  So he only takes  3 damage. This is nowhere near enough to turn him to stone, so all that happened was some hair on his arms turn to stone and fall off. 

I really like this, and may propose to my group that we adopt this method!  Good work, John!

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #14 - Mar 13th, 2010 at 6:04pm
Print Post  
The Cougar wrote on Mar 7th, 2010 at 10:05am:

So true the White Witch's wand in the The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe was one of the most powerful weapons in all of Fantasy Literature.

This is the reason she's the deadliest piece on the board in Narnia Stratego as well!    Cheesy

IP Logged

>