Normal Topic Here There Be Dragons (Read 1884 times)
John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Here There Be Dragons
Mar 28th, 2010 at 12:36pm
Print Post  
  For every place you can go, there is a path.  Some paths are safe, others not so.  And some are guarded by dragons.   It is not known who discovered the Serpent's Path, or the Wyrm's Way, or the Dragon's Corridor, but it is old, and it goes everywhere.   
    This place is a space between spaces.  It is a place of perpetual dusk, with ruddy skies and dust.   The main features are burial mounds and sky.   Who is buried, and who buried them is also not known.  An occuasional dead tree also litters the landscape.
   Inbetween mounds, if one knows how to look, is a path of slightly different color dust then the rest.  If you follow this path, it will take you to where you need to go.  Step off this path, and you might just befacing a dragon.
   The path will lead you to a burial mound with a cave.  Inside the cave is your destination.    A journey that can take days, weeks or years can be taken in a matter of minutes.  If one wants to risk the dragons, or worse, the unknown horrors.
   So Hell's Hallway is waiting for you.   Are you sure you are willing to risk it?
« Last Edit: Mar 28th, 2010 at 12:45pm by John »  

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Re: Here be Dragons
Reply #1 - Mar 28th, 2010 at 12:45pm
Print Post  
  If one knows the proper spell and one possesses knowledge of where the doorways are,  one can use the Dragon's Corridor for fast transport.  Think of it as a hyper tube between many places.     There is a catch.   You just might encounter a dragon, or worse.

Dragon's Corridor: (Conjuration, Enchantment) Pr= all the basic hits of the matter ( people and equipment) being transported.
     Once the doorway is located * the spell is cast.   The caster will have a tugging feeling of which way to go.  The caster is the only one that will instinctivily know the path.  Everyone else will have to follow the dusty path.  Roll detect hidden d20 per turn to stay on the path if something happens to the caster.
    On the path, you should be safe.   Roll the party's basic hits (total people and equipment) d20 twice.  Once at the beginging of the trip, once when the destination is reached.  If the roll is over the basic hits, then you encountered a dragon.   If  you rolled under the basic hits, you are safe.   The roll is modified by adding one to the party's basic hits per trip you have taken in the past year.  The more you use it, the more dangerous it gets.
    If you rolled a 20,  you have encountered something worse than a dragon.
   If you rolled exactly your basic hits, you have encountered a sleeping dragon.   It may wake...
   If you rolled a 1,  you just might find something very usefull.

Also, making noise adds penalties to the die roll.

Once needs a compass made of dragon's scales to find the doorway.  This is resusable.  These are very rare and very valuable!  Making them is a nearly lost art.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Re: Here There Be Dragons
Reply #2 - Dec 29th, 2012 at 1:01pm
Print Post  
  Glad I was re reading older posts today. This could be useful to Dick if he happens to survive the next few minutes of his life

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #3 - Oct 19th, 2014 at 4:24pm
Print Post  
Of course, there is always more than one path.  Many who have sailed the seas know how to sail the Secret Sea, the Mother Ocean, the Serpent Seaway.   Many pirates have found access to this water way, and have buried their gold in places where Ley Lines intersect.  They have even marked the doorways to such places on old maps in plain site...hence "Here there be dragons."

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #4 - Oct 20th, 2014 at 8:36am
Print Post  
Quote:
Many who have sailed the seas know how to sail the Secret Sea, the Mother Ocean, the Serpent Seaway

I read this in my head sounding like a pirate and for some strange reason I got really aroused.  Is that wrong?

Huh

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself -- Steven Segal

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Graak kill Blue Skins! />

Reply #5 - Oct 20th, 2014 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
Paul wrote on Oct 20th, 2014 at 8:36am:
I read this in my head sounding like a pirate and for some strange reason I got really aroused.  Is that wrong?

Huh

Only if you're a Johnny Depp fan and a guy  Wink

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #6 - Sep 2nd, 2016 at 3:21pm
Print Post  
New Rules for Dragon's Corridor

First, one must find an entrance to the Dragon's Corridor.  They typically are near Soft Places, that is places where the fabric of the Multiverse is weakened due to natural or unnatural means. 

once found, the spell is cast.    You need a Dragon Scale which are reusable unless the caster rolls 20 with their skill save. 

(Conjuration, enchantment) VSM

The power is the basic hits of all the matter being transported, people and equipment.

The caster than makes three saves. Once at the beginning,  once at the middle,  and once at the end.  The lower the better, a natural 20 means a dragon is awake and angry!

You start with a 20 then subtract the basic hits.  The difference is the number for a safe journey.  This means the more you transport, the more dangerous the journey.

Example:  You and your friend walk the Dragon's Corridor.  You both are 200lbs which means the basic hits are 8.   So 20-8=12.   So you save d20.  A 12 or lower means you do not encounter any dragons.  13 or higher, watch out!

If you rolled a natural 1, you just found something that just may be helpful.  2-equal to your save number, you encountered nothing.  That is good.

equal to your save, you stumbled upon a sleeping dragon.  Becareful!

over your save to 19, you found a wide awake dragon.

20, not only is the dragon awake, but its pissed!

IP Logged

>