Poll
Poll Question: Who was your favorite "classic" V&V writer?
bars   pie

Bill Willingham: Destroyers, Dr. Apocalypse    
  12 (54.5%)
Jack Herman: Most Wanted 1, cowrote Crisis, etc.    
  3 (13.6%)
Ken Cliffe: Alone..., Honor, Super Crooks    
  3 (13.6%)
Stefan Jones: Deeps of Space, Opponents, Pentacle    
  0 (0.0%)
Stephen Dedman: Great Iridium, Pre-Emptive    
  1 (4.5%)
Steve Crow: Battle Above, Terror by Night    
  1 (4.5%)
Troy Christensen: Devil modules, Most Wanted 3    
  0 (0.0%)
Tom Dowd: Force, Assassin    
  2 (9.1%)

Total votes: 22
« Last Modified by: Troy on: Apr 2nd, 2010 at 7:30pm »
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Who was your favorite "classic" V&V writer? (Read 3400 times)
Troy
Teen Titan

Who was your favorite "classic" V&V writer?
Apr 2nd, 2010 at 5:09pm
Print Post  
Which "classic" V&V adventure writer do you like best?

I've listed only those who wrote more than one published adventure.

Here's a link showing all the modules: http://paratime.ca/v_and_v/vav_covers.html

Dave W. and Stacy S. of course are the best modern V&V adventure writers!

IP Logged

Hammer
Justice Leaguer

Stranger in a Stranger
Land

Re: Who was your favorite "classic" V&V writer?
Reply #1 - Apr 2nd, 2010 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
I loved FORCE and Assassin!

Second would be Death Dueal and Dr. A, but they seemed shorter and not as fleshed out as Tom's stuff.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #2 - Apr 2nd, 2010 at 6:10pm
Print Post  
Great question, Troy!

Dave and Stacy definitely win right now (though technically there haven't been much in the way of "adventures"), but hopefully there will be a whole new slew of V&V adventures, such that at least there will be a bunch of names on a poll (like we have for the 'Classic' group).  Here's hoping, anyway!    Smiley

IP Logged

8675309 Jenni
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #3 - Apr 2nd, 2010 at 6:12pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Apr 2nd, 2010 at 6:10pm:
Great question, Troy!

Dave and Stacy definitely win right now

DITTO

IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #4 - Apr 2nd, 2010 at 6:20pm
Print Post  
Thanks guys but I personally bow out... I don't stand a chance against the Masters of the era. Truthfully, I'm ever grateful that you people appreciate our work but I could never hold a candle to the folks that originally made this happen.

As for adventures... they are coming.... eventually.  Wink

"If The Truth Can Be Told, So As To Be Understood, It Will Be Believed."- Terence Mckenna
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #5 - Apr 2nd, 2010 at 6:33pm
Print Post  
You're too humble, Dave.  While they might not technically be adventures, you're writing has been enjoyable so far.  There are little touches that have made things fun, which reminds me of the modules of old.

IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #6 - Apr 2nd, 2010 at 7:19pm
Print Post  
Majestic,
I want to personally thank you from the bottom of my heart, and again, I truly appreciate your words of kindness... its words such as you have expressed that truly keep the freebies and even commercial products pushing their way out the door... but I want to say that I honor those that have created the beginnings of this experience that we share together first and foremost... I am merely but a talented afterthought, at best.

Herman, Dee, Cliffe, Crow, Willingham, etc... these are the guys that deserve the credit, and honestly, in any way you can... your money. Granted, I wish that you buy from FGU when you can because I work on the side for FGU but these are the guys that you should take the special time and money to support... they are they guys that against all odds made this gaming experience happen for us.

If I can be allowed the chance to be in an odd philsophical mood... as you all will find as time goes by I do from time to time... and start rambling... and please forgive me for that...

This is a great deal like my experiences in "professional wrestling". In my years of growing up I've been through many changes (David Bowie would be so jealous... LOL!... note his song Changes for that matter), I've been a webmaster, a bass player in a punk band, a game designer, a writer, an illustrator, fortune teller of sorts, an electronica music producer (we actually have a V&V original music soundtrack in the plans for the rave club project btw... in the meanwhile, a search on internetdj.com for Tree Dweller or Culthedral will reveal my pitiful past efforts), a this, a that... whatever.... I must tell you, that despite all my efforts and grasps towards what I originally thought was 15 minutes of fame but later recognized as 15 minutes of recognized and appreciated creativity, I have realized that it is your elders of the scene and the fans that made all of it possible... not you (or rather, in this case, me) in the center of the spotlight that made it happen.

I would like to take this time to share a story....
Approximately 10 years ago I took a break from my entry efforts into game design (which ironically happened a vey few years later with my entry into Dark Quest Games (Neal Levin publisher gave me my entry, I will forever thank him for that)), I did a brief stint as a part of the independent, third party professional wrestling scene.... backstage I was Dave Woodrum the webmaster, the designer, the creative control, the guy that came up with the show posters, the mini posters, the photographer, the person that was one half of a small but rapidly growing and attention getting promotion called "GRR" Global Roughhouse Rasslin' (We were one of the few efforts that didn't have a "W" in our name... I created the name at Bob Picklesimer's (aka The Fabulous Candyman, aka Eric Stroheim, aka, Col. Bob Douglas) request... something without a W in the middles).....
We were growing, and we had a few old talents from back in the day, that made their selves legends before wrestling was mainstream, recognized, and cool....
one of the legends in our group was a guy I'll just simply call by his real first name of Larry. Larry was one of the original two Assassins (of the notorious tag team The Assassins)... Larry, along with my mentor Bob, had worked a whole ton of different people... from the Iron Sheik to the famous early midget wrestlers and beyond.... Larry was in short the elder of legends before legends could become legends... he was before NWA.  Larry was a bit of a costume nut in his time, an obsession that cost him everything... until his friend Randy stepped in and helped Larry out by breaking his habit and buying his stuff... you know Randy best as the in ring identity of Randy Savage.
I had the chance to work Larry a couple of times in the ring... "work" is a word that we insiders to the game use when it means going up against a wrestler, tagging with him, etc.... my end of working Larry was usually taking a beating from him... under one identity or another.
Most people didn't like to work Larry... he was old school and he was also not in the best of his abilities due to advanced diabetes... Larry couldn't move the best anymore, and his experience back in the old days meant that he hit somewhat for real and the moves had a bit of effort behind them... aka they hurt at times.  Wink
A great deal of the newcomers didn't want to work the ring with Larry... they likened him to be an era gone by... and them their own selves an era yet to come... but that was all they were... an era yet to come. Myself, I practically begged my other half of the promotion starter, Bob, to work Larry... Bob and Larry both was thrilled to know someone was willing to work him openly in the ring... I myself was thrilled to be a very tiny small chapter in a ring legend's history...
and I must tell you... yes, Larry's chokes, grabs, slams, hits, etc. were a wee bit rougher than most.... but nothing than I couldn't survive... goodness knows that I did far worse to myself when I was younger on my skateboard.
I simply felt honored to be in the presence of a legend, and to be a part of their living history.
Growing dis-illusioned about the whole wrestling scene later on I shed few tears or had any regrets about leaving... except for working with Bob (another legend) as my manager in the ring and another thing... Larry.
Towards the end Larry asked me if he could get a mask just like mine (the Slik Slander mask)... my mask (which I appear as in dsumner's Empire City campaign, btw) is a copyrighted affair, and my own mask maker from way back rejects making requests of producing the mask for anyone else... even at my own request. Larry had the idea of us working as a tag team... as he a member of the "Slander family" (we had him worked out as an uncle)... I tried with my mask maker and didn't push hard enough.. he held back primarily because my mask maker wanted me to think it over before I released my custom Slik Slander mask design to be used by someone else. A short while later on diabetes did the best of Larry's feet and he lost a leg and wound up in a nursing home... he's dead now. We never had that moment in the ring together as the Slander family..... of all things I could shed a tear about in regards to my extremely brief wrestling days this is it.
This is why when I say I have a chance to work with the masters of anything... in this case the Masters of V&V... I ask anyone halfway interested in my work to please respect those that made it happen first... please, respect the masters... they are the ones that paved the way to where we are now... the Dees, the Hermans, the Cliffes... whoever, they are the ones that deserve the credit for making it happen, not me.

In that conclusion may Larry enjoy happiness in his days beyond his suffering... whatever that may be.... for while he was here he influenced at least me, if not thousands of others as well....
Cry

"If The Truth Can Be Told, So As To Be Understood, It Will Be Believed."- Terence Mckenna
IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #7 - Apr 2nd, 2010 at 7:28pm
Print Post  
I couldn't help but laugh when I read your Bowie reference. It's one of my favorite songs of that era:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCgzX7vwlFk

It's a nicely appropriate, as I like all of the ch-ch-ch-changes that are moving forward with your new V&V resources that still capture the original spirit of the classic game.
« Last Edit: Apr 2nd, 2010 at 7:34pm by polarboy »  

IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #8 - Apr 3rd, 2010 at 8:47am
Print Post  
polarboy,
Ironically, while I was working on another project, David Bowie's "Oh You Pretty Things!" was playing in my head.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #9 - Apr 3rd, 2010 at 1:25pm
Print Post  
Great stuff, Dave - thanks for sharing those memories with us!

I don't know about the rest of you, but to me V&V somehow conjures up memories of the 80's.  Perhaps it's because of all of those early days when the game was new.  To this day many 80's songs often remind me of V&V.

IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #10 - Apr 3rd, 2010 at 2:51pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Apr 3rd, 2010 at 1:25pm:

I don't know about the rest of you, but to me V&V somehow conjures up memories of the 80's.  Perhaps it's because of all of those early days when the game was new.  To this day many 80's songs often remind me of V&V.

Majestic- yes, I get a bit overly sentimental when I play V&V  Grin

And I'm glad that you said that, because I've been wondering what everyone tends to listen to when they play V&V!

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #11 - Apr 3rd, 2010 at 3:22pm
Print Post  
Hmmm...that's a tuff choice, as I really like a lot of the material. But I had to go with Ken Cliffe, as I've used more of his material. I loved Super Crooks & Criminals, as well as his stuff from Alone into the night. Next up would be Tom Dowd with Herman, Dr. Dedman, and Bill Willingham tying for 3rd.

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #12 - Apr 3rd, 2010 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
I went with Willingham, though I too was torn.  Cliffe did outstanding stuff as well, and there's stuff about almost all of them that I really liked.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #13 - Apr 3rd, 2010 at 5:48pm
Print Post  
davew wrote on Apr 3rd, 2010 at 2:51pm:
Majestic wrote on Apr 3rd, 2010 at 1:25pm:

Majestic- yes, I get a bit overly sentimental when I play V&V  Grin

And I'm glad that you said that, because I've been wondering what everyone tends to listen to when they play V&V!

I tend to listen to stuff I like, occasionally the radio, but often CDs, when I'm working on V&V stuff.

When we play, I will often put in general adventure music.  In other words, CDs (usually three discs, on random) from assorted fantasy or sci-fi soundtracks.  Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Star Trek, etc.

IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #14 - Apr 3rd, 2010 at 6:08pm
Print Post  
I know this sounds kinda strange, but back in the day I would play some of the lesser known tracks from a couple of Thomas Dolby cds, and a lot of punk rock and Devo. Later on it was techno and rave, and now its a mixture of all of the above.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #15 - Apr 4th, 2010 at 8:55pm
Print Post  
davew wrote on Apr 3rd, 2010 at 6:08pm:
I know this sounds kinda strange, but back in the day I would play some of the lesser known tracks from a couple of Thomas Dolby cds, and a lot of punk rock and Devo. Later on it was techno and rave, and now its a mixture of all of the above.

I loved "She Blinded me with Science!" and could listen to it all day long, but I wasn't as fond of his other stuff.

IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #16 - Apr 9th, 2010 at 10:23pm
Print Post  
Majestic...
I really liked that one at first but as time went on I actually preferred the obscure stuff... the rest of the tracks on Dolby's albums. Interestingly, Dolby had a trend through a good part of his career that his most light hearted song on an album was his radio hit... the rest of the tracks were more deep, and probably not really all that radio ready... kind of strange stuff.... very good but different.
On the same album as She Blinded Me With Science... which was The Golden Age Of Wireless... the two tracks I probably like the best are Flying North (#1) and Cloudburst On Shingle Street (2nd)
Probably one of his best of that era, though, was Screen Kiss (off of Flat Earth... same album as Hyperactive).

Although I've got to say that the all time most favorite of his stuff for me was the album Astronauts and Heretics... its a very deep, serious album overall. Good later fall weather stuff.
« Last Edit: Apr 9th, 2010 at 10:25pm by davew »  

IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #17 - Apr 9th, 2010 at 10:24pm
Print Post  
Music for me right now for V&V has been a mixture of early to mid techno, some punk rock, and some alternative... I've got Sonic Youth's Dirty Boots playing in my head as we speak.

IP Logged

iggy rock
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #18 - Apr 14th, 2010 at 9:39pm
Print Post  
It's hard to decide.

The Destroyers were amazing. But the Island of Dr. Apocalypse was a downer. That takes Billy W. out of the running.

I want to vote for Jack Herman. Crisis was an amazing module. But his Mad Scientist adventure was a tad too goofy.

I liked going Alone into the Night with Ken Cliffe's solo adventures, but Honor was a little too pro forma.

Crow and Christensen's adventures had their ups, and their downs.

Jones didn't take the game seriously.

And I'm among those who didn't feel any love for Force or Assassin.

Stephen Dedman was creative, thorough, and steady. I wish some of the world-building ideas he tried to set up had been further explored. He wins my vote!

Honorable Mention goes out to Patrick Zircher (a Silver Medal V&V artist, next to Jeff Dee's Gold), for his great job on This Empress Earth!

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #19 - Apr 15th, 2010 at 2:18pm
Print Post  
Great analysis, Iggy!  While I may not agree 100%, I like the specificity you put into your thoughts!    Smiley

IP Logged

>