Normal Topic Heightened physical abilities (Read 1945 times)
Lord Inar
Justice Leaguer

Heightened physical abilities
Apr 12th, 2010 at 12:04pm
Print Post  
I was trying to think of the best way to incorporate the idea of the well-rounded physical hero (very common in comics) without completely redoing the random tables or requiring Body Power or Mutant power to do it.

Here's what I came up with (others may already do something like this, which I'd love to see as well):

This works for Str, End and Agi:
Hgt X (A):
+2d10 X
OR
+1d10 X and +1d10 one other

Hgt X (B):
+3d10 X
OR
+2d10 X and +1d10 one other
OR
+1d10 to Str, End and Agi

Willpower: Power as listed OR Permanent +5 Str, +5 End, +5 Agi

I could also see it working with Int and Cha grouped, although there would be no third option for the B version.

Finally for those who want some security in rolling, but at the expense of really high numbers, they could choose to roll 1d6+2 instead of 1d10 for heightened abilities. This chops off the lowest two and the highest two numbers possible, but keeps the mean the same. This should be chosen up front and then apply to all Hgt X rolls.
« Last Edit: Apr 12th, 2010 at 12:04pm by Lord Inar »  

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Re: Heightened physical abilities
Reply #1 - Apr 12th, 2010 at 12:14pm
Print Post  
Lord Inar wrote on Apr 12th, 2010 at 12:04pm:
Here's what I came up with (others may already do something like this, which I'd love to see as well):

This works for Str, End and Agi:
Hgt X (A):
+2d10 X
OR
+1d10 X and +1d10 one other

Hgt X (B):
+3d10 X
OR
+2d10 X and +1d10 one other
OR
+1d10 to Str, End and Agi

I use a similar system as an option for Willpower B: As a skill, you can add 1d10 to two abilities; as a power you can add 1d10 to three separate abilities.

This could work for Body Power too.
« Last Edit: Apr 12th, 2010 at 12:15pm by polarboy »  

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #2 - Apr 12th, 2010 at 2:22pm
Print Post  
I've been messing with this too, called Heightened Physique. You roll 3d10 or 2d10 depending on whether it's a power or skill respectively. The resulting roll creates a pool of points you can add to any stat.

For every stat beyond one that you add to, you subtract a point from your pool.

So, if your pool is 15 points:
Added to one stat, you get all 15 points, like a normal Heightened Stat.
Dispersed across two stats, you have 14 points to distribute.
Dispersed across three stats, you have 13 points to distribute.
Etc.

Like you say, Inar, the all-round athlete is common in the comics but hard to reproduce in V&V. Given the nature of what we're trying to approximate, this might be more common as a skill than a power.
« Last Edit: Apr 12th, 2010 at 2:54pm by Doctor Foom »  
IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #3 - Apr 12th, 2010 at 3:08pm
Print Post  
Slight tangent here, but I have a question about the way you do this.  The skill character already maxes out at a 2d10 to an ability.  Powers have the chance at 3d10, but are you giving all powers a 3d10, or giving them a chance of 3d10 (since they could get Ht A or Ht B)?
« Last Edit: Apr 12th, 2010 at 3:09pm by Imaginos »  

IP Logged

Lord Inar
Justice Leaguer

Reply #4 - Apr 12th, 2010 at 3:29pm
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Apr 12th, 2010 at 2:22pm:
Like you say, Inar, the all-round athlete is common in the comics but hard to reproduce in V&V. Given the nature of what we're trying to approximate, this might be more common as a skill than a power.

Dr. FOOM, I like that way too! Since I'd want to preserve the random table, would you let them take their choice of Heightened Physique or Hgt Str, End, Agi?

As to power vs. skill, it makes it easier to justify Cpt America's ability as a Power (which it really is, in my mind) if you can distribute points over Str, End & Agi through either method.

Imaginos, which method were you referring to, Dr. FOOM's or mine?

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #5 - Apr 12th, 2010 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
Lord Inar wrote on Apr 12th, 2010 at 3:29pm:
Dr. FOOM, I like that way too! Since I'd want to preserve the random table, would you let them take their choice of Heightened Physique or Hgt Str, End, Agi?

As to power vs. skill, it makes it easier to justify Cpt America's ability as a Power (which it really is, in my mind) if you can distribute points over Str, End & Agi through either method.

You could do that to preserve random generation.
Cap is a great example of someone who has this as a Power.

IP Logged

Greyven
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #6 - Apr 12th, 2010 at 6:55pm
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Apr 12th, 2010 at 6:41pm:
You could do that to preserve random generation.
Cap is a great example of someone who has this as a Power. 

Considering how low Cap's starting stats were, I'm actually okay with him getting the regular bonuses for Heightenened Strenghth, Endurance, and Agility. He was a weakling.

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #7 - Apr 13th, 2010 at 11:10am
Print Post  
Lord Inar wrote on Apr 12th, 2010 at 3:29pm:
Imaginos, which method were you referring to, Dr. FOOM's or mine? 

Your method is distinguishing Ht A and Ht B.  I'm referring to Dr Foom's method.  Just wondering if he's still keeping the A/B, or if he just made powers B and skills A.

IP Logged

Greyven
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #8 - Apr 13th, 2010 at 1:50pm
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Apr 12th, 2010 at 2:22pm:
I've been messing with this too, called Heightened Physique. You roll 3d10 or 2d10 depending on whether it's a power or skill respectively. The resulting roll creates a pool of points you can add to any stat.For every stat beyond one that you add to, you subtract a point from your pool.So, if your pool is 15 points:Added to one stat, you get all 15 points, like a normal Heightened Stat.Dispersed across two stats, you have 14 points to distribute.Dispersed across three stats, you have 13 points to distribute.Etc.Like you say, Inar, the all-round athlete is common in the comics but hard to reproduce in V&V. Given the nature of what we're trying to approximate, this might be more common as a skill than a power.

Me confused? Does your game use random generation? You've posted in other threads how you assign character ability scores.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #9 - Apr 13th, 2010 at 9:42pm
Print Post  
I've used a couple of different methods. The one I've been using lately is Heightened Physique. Basically there are three levels. A, B, C (their not listed that way, but I know what they are). Each one assigns a set number (would be +6, B would be +8, and C would be +10), the the character's STR, END, and AGL scores. It's worked out pretty well so far (I've got a coupe of characters posted that use it), but I'm open to suggestion on how it could be improved.

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

>