Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Vigilantes & Villains: Reverse World Campaign (Read 6225 times)
Mike
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Vigilantes & Villains: Reverse World Campaign
Apr 24th, 2010 at 3:54pm
Print Post  
For variety, we're going back and reworking classic V&V adventures in a mirror universe where all of the established heroes are villains, and a few other NPCS are redressed.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Re: Vigilantes & Villains: Reverse World Campaign
Reply #1 - Apr 24th, 2010 at 5:31pm
Print Post  
Interesting!  You'll have to keep us posted on how things turn out!

Welcome to these boards, Mike!    Smiley

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #2 - Apr 24th, 2010 at 5:50pm
Print Post  
Is there a Tantalus Field?  Do they all have goatees?

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Mike
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #3 - Apr 24th, 2010 at 6:24pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Apr 24th, 2010 at 5:50pm:
Is there a Tantalus Field?  Do they all have goatees?

You know it!

The first session involved the heroes getting a tip that the costume of arch-villain Manta-Man was kept inside the office of entrepreneur Carter Manning.

Searching Manning's office also uncovered evidence that he and the other criminal "Crusaders" were secretly renting four floors of the Harmon Building.

This led to a battle against Manta-Man, ex-agent Enforcer, Laserfire, Blizzard, Evergreen, her boytoy Shocker, and Dreamweaver.

Held captive in the Citadel was psychology student Lynda Turner (the only one who knew Dreamweaver's true identity). It was Turner who tipped off the authorities as she disapproved of her friend's evil way of life.

I call this adventure: There's a Crusader at Crisis Citadel
« Last Edit: Apr 24th, 2010 at 6:41pm by Mike »  

IP Logged

The Cougar
Avenger

Roll 1d20 against ...

Reply #4 - Apr 25th, 2010 at 12:20pm
Print Post  
Impressive, sounds like to was really fun and different spin on it.

Did you make Bokyo as gang leader as well?

V&V character creation is too much fun.
                                     - Doctor Foom

Megalopolis PBEM
http://vav-megalopolis-pbem.blogspot.com/

IP Logged

Mike
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #5 - Apr 25th, 2010 at 1:42pm
Print Post  
The Cougar wrote on Apr 25th, 2010 at 12:20pm:
Impressive, sounds like to was really fun and different spin on it.

Detective Broyko is the heroes' liaison to the government. So far he seems good.

Session Two was a Post-Crisis aftermath:
With the seven Crusaders apprehended, the PCs were cleaning-up the Citadel after the battle.

When they entered the trophy room, the T-Rex came back to life. It turned out that the dinosaur wasn't dead but kept in a temporal stasis (controlled by TEACHER).

Once TEACHER concluded that the Crusaders were captured and not coming back to the Citadel, the computer freed the dinosaur to wreck havoc on the building--until the PCs stopped it.

As a result, the Citadel is in pretty rough condition. No one's going to be staying there for a while.
« Last Edit: Apr 25th, 2010 at 1:43pm by Mike »  

IP Logged

Mike
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #6 - Apr 26th, 2010 at 10:03pm
Print Post  
Here are some more notes from our Reverse World campaign.

With the exception of Shocker (who's a member of the villainous Crusaders), to the best of our knowledge most of the other Crushers from the original module don't exist in the campaign world (or perhaps they never got powers)--with one possible exception...

Our still-unnamed supergroup is getting a financial backer. It's Stanislas Laird (who never became Stormlord in our reality). As the descendant of the supervillain Excalliber (a weather-controlling British villain who fought against the Allies during WWII) becoming the benefactor to a super-team is his way of paying familial penance.
« Last Edit: Apr 26th, 2010 at 10:22pm by Mike »  

IP Logged

Mike
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #7 - May 2nd, 2010 at 4:19pm
Print Post  
In Session Three the heroes were ambushed by Lightning-Fist and his gang, the Nicotines--along with their newest associate, Mammoth (who added some muscle to the group).

(This was fun because none of the players had fought these characters before in previous campaigns since Lightning-Fist was a hero and Mammoth was in Limbo following the rulebook scenarios.)

The ambush took place after the heroes spoke at a children's hospital. Some interrogation uncovered that the gang was tipped off by "Heater" Jenkins, a disgruntled hospital employee with underworld contacts. The villains wanted to get rid of the still-unnamed superteam before they got too experienced/prominent.

The GM says that Nomad from the rulebook does not exist in our Reverse World campaign (or at least he has never visited our dimension).
« Last Edit: May 2nd, 2010 at 4:21pm by Mike »  

IP Logged

Clangador
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #8 - May 4th, 2010 at 11:24am
Print Post  
This sounds interesting...

~Clangador

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #9 - May 4th, 2010 at 3:54pm
Print Post  
I love write-ups like this: short and concise, but they give the meat of what happened.  Well done, Mike!

The campaign does indeed sound interesting.  Sort of like a Mirror Universe of the official V&V world.    Smiley

IP Logged

Mike
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #10 - May 4th, 2010 at 6:28pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the kind words everyone. So far the new game has been fun.

I should add that the Tabloid pdf from the FGU site has already been incorporated into the campaign. Players have those articles as background. Everyone's been warned that it doesn't mean any of the tabloid articles are necessarily accurate (or that anyone mentioned in the tabolids necessarily exists in the Reverse World campaign)--but it gives us a frame of reference as to the general public's perceptions of super-beings and the paranormal. I'll post more summaries as the game continues.
« Last Edit: May 4th, 2010 at 6:30pm by Mike »  

IP Logged

Mike
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #11 - May 8th, 2010 at 1:27pm
Print Post  
Session four was more irreverent than usual. Back in the trophy room of the Crusader Citadel was a steel girder from a battle with Magnet-Man (whose stats were never published). So heroes decided to track down this elusive costumed character.

It turned out that Magnet-Man had once been a hero but now went by the side-changing name of Professor Polarity (from Super Crooks). And he now had an evil sidekick ... that bratty Wonder Boy. That dynamic magnetic duo wasn't too hard to stop.

Afterward the heroes encountered Wereworg lurking in the shadows. The kind-hearted werewolf (reverse-adapted from Super-Crooks) confessed that during full-moons he reverts back to his original self: the evil Dr. Ray Timmins. So even though his wolf-form was good, the heroes apprehended the lupine loner.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #12 - May 8th, 2010 at 3:56pm
Print Post  
Too funny, Mike.  Especially how the werewolf is good and the doctor evil.  Love how you're putting a twist on these familiar characters!    Grin

IP Logged

Mike
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #13 - May 8th, 2010 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on May 8th, 2010 at 3:56pm:
Too funny, Mike.  Especially how the werewolf is good and the doctor evil.  Love how you're putting a twist on these familiar characters!    

Wonder Boy was a lot more interesting with the personality of Jason Todd and the Hellions than as a whiny hero-wannabe. I'd recommend making this change to anyone. The Wereworg switch kind of worked too (making Dr. Timmins like an evil Mr. Hyde instead of like a goody-two-shoes Dr. Jeckyll).

IP Logged

Mike
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #14 - May 16th, 2010 at 9:23pm
Print Post  
Session Five brought the heroes to Washington, D.C., after a U.S. missile silo was severely disabled by an attack within.

Soon after the heroes arrived, but before they could thoroughly investigate or were fully briefed, an energy portal opened up--almost like clockwork.

Out walked Voltroid and a pair of Trojan robots, the signature mechanical mercenaries of CHESS (Criminal Headquarters for Evil Sabotage and Savoir-faire). The heroes are now second level, but this was no easy battle.

CHESS was last heard from several years ago, when the mind-controlling villain called Rook seized control of then-President Homer Grimsby, turning him into a de facto operative of CHESS. The mysterious vigilante-archer known as Diana exposed the conspiracy at that time and assassinated Rook. Afterward, vice-president Alexandria Huntington became Commander-in-Chief.

« Last Edit: May 16th, 2010 at 9:36pm by Mike »  

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #15 - May 17th, 2010 at 9:20pm
Print Post  
Mike wrote on May 8th, 2010 at 4:31pm:
Majestic wrote on May 8th, 2010 at 3:56pm:
Too funny, Mike.  Especially how the werewolf is good and the doctor evil.  Love how you're putting a twist on these familiar characters!    

Wonder Boy was a lot more interesting with the personality of Jason Todd and the Hellions than as a whiny hero-wannabe. I'd recommend making this change to anyone. The Wereworg switch kind of worked too (making Dr. Timmins like an evil Mr. Hyde instead of like a goody-two-shoes Dr. Jeckyll). 

I've never actually used either of those characters before, though I have considered using both of them.  I just came across their markers this morning (as I've been reorganizing them) and thought about each of them, too.

Good point on Wonder Boy; will have to remember that when I use him someday.

IP Logged

Mike
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #16 - May 24th, 2010 at 8:49pm
Print Post  
Mike wrote on May 16th, 2010 at 9:23pm:
Session Five brought the heroes to Washington, D.C., after a U.S. missile silo was severely disabled by an attack within.Soon after the heroes arrived, but before they could thoroughly investigate or were fully briefed, an energy portal opened up--almost like clockwork. Out walked Voltroid and a pair of Trojan robots, the signature mechanical mercenaries of CHESS (Criminal Headquarters for Evil Sabotage and Savoir-faire). The heroes are now second level, but this was no easy battle.CHESS was last heard from several years ago, when the mind-controlling villain called Rook seized control of then-President Homer Grimsby, turning him into a de facto operative of CHESS. The mysterious vigilante-archer known as Diana exposed the conspiracy at that time and assassinated Rook. Afterward, vice-president Alexandria Huntington became Commander-in-Chief.

Session Six: With some hard-earned Inventing Points, the heroes managed to recreate the energy portal the droids had used, and trace its location to a spaceship camouflaged within the asteroid belt.

On board, were four villains who had been trained by the Rook: the square-jawed Conductor, Hummingbird, Katana, and Powerpath. This assortment of foes got really pissed when one of the heroes called them "the Rookies."

Accompanying the villains was Alexander Tissaveerasinghe. "Lex" (as the heroes called him) was a future descendant of the Rook who brought his Aristotle starship back through time to use as the secret headquarters for CHESS.

After the fight, the heroes re-opened the energy portal to bring the captured villains back with them to Earth when ... something suddenly came up ...

To be continued!
« Last Edit: May 24th, 2010 at 8:59pm by Mike »  

IP Logged

Mike
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #17 - May 30th, 2010 at 8:16pm
Print Post  
The cliffhanger I left at the end of last post was unintentionally misleading. Suffice to say, the PCs returned home safely with the captured villains.

A new PC wanted to join our group--but with some experience and history under his belt, not as the runt of the litter. So, what I'm calling Session Seven was essentially a flashback to....

1933 .... when the citizens of Center City were in a panic over the 20 murders attributed to the serial killer Garrote.

On a solo mission, the new PC (the Reverse World's first real, super-powered, costumed hero) patrolled the streets at night until he met the deadly foe, who was unmasked to be Zeke Simmons.

Putting a first-level PC through Night of the Garrote had its advantages because a) it's one of the best adventures, and b) since the adventure is potentially fatal, it's easier to lose your hero on his first mission (and then roll up a new one to take over) then to lose him after a few adventures.

Eventually this hero will get to the present and join the other PCs.
« Last Edit: May 30th, 2010 at 8:23pm by Mike »  

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #18 - May 30th, 2010 at 8:28pm
Print Post  
Mike wrote on May 30th, 2010 at 8:16pm:
Eventually this hero will get to the present and join the other PCs.

That's a cool way to introduce a grizzled veteran into a campaign.  Well done, Mike!    Smiley

IP Logged

Mike
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #19 - May 30th, 2010 at 8:35pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on May 30th, 2010 at 8:28pm:
That's a cool way to introduce a grizzled veteran into a campaign.  Well done, Mike!    

Thanks. If the hero had died (which is very possible in that adventure), the player would have rolled up a new hero to avenge the first one's death. But I'm glad that didn't have to happen. Speaking of avenge, the idea of bringing back an established hero from the past came from thinking about Captain America's reintroduction in the pages of the Avengers in the 1960s.
« Last Edit: May 30th, 2010 at 8:38pm by Mike »  

IP Logged

Mike
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #20 - May 30th, 2010 at 10:13pm
Print Post  
Here are some world-building decisions in place for the campaign.

For the time being, the heroes are staying active in the States. But to prevent the world from being Americentric, we're basically saying that some of the heroes listed in modules/adventures have been active as villains in other part of the Reverse World game. This doesn't mean the heroes will encounter these characters, though. For some of them we don't even have stats.

Devil's Domain: Gravitron (a hero referenced in the module) was a villain in the Russia of our campaign.

Great Iridium Con: The Ring of Saturn, including Epsilon and possibly Serena (heroes in the module) may have been active as villains in Reverse Europe.

This Empress Earth: The team of Canadian heroes in this magazine adventure may have been Canadian villains.

Search for the Sensei: Shiro Kenogoki and Rising Star may have been active in Japan as Reverse Wrold villains.

Some of the heroes from the modules or magazine articles definitely won't exist--either because they don't fit well into the campaign or because I persoanlly don't like them no matter what side of the law theyre on.

I could post some more world-building notes down the road if anyone would like.
« Last Edit: May 30th, 2010 at 11:30pm by Mike »  

IP Logged

Hammer
Justice Leaguer

Stranger in a Stranger
Land

Reply #21 - May 31st, 2010 at 10:26am
Print Post  
Any thoughts of using the misguided Hero group from Assassin?

IP Logged

Mike
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #22 - May 31st, 2010 at 11:20am
Print Post  
Hammer wrote on May 31st, 2010 at 10:26am:
Any thoughts of using the misguided Hero group from Assassin?

We've decided not to use them.

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #23 - Jun 1st, 2010 at 9:55pm
Print Post  
Hey Mike,
This reverse approach is really inventive.
Also, it lets you run modules that your PCs already know. In fact, it's better if they do know them. Very cool.

IP Logged

Mike
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #24 - Jun 2nd, 2010 at 8:49pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on May 30th, 2010 at 8:28pm:
That's a cool way to introduce a grizzled veteran into a campaign.  Well done, Mike!    

The new guy might not bee too girzzled--just established.

Session Eight (actually another solo-hero session) adapted Battle Above the Earth.

The National Inquisitor Newspaper offered to donate $5000 to charity if the new hero in 1933 agreed to investigate the legendary Wisconsin Lizard Man! Instead of the alien invasion described in the module, the hero went face to face with the real creature (from the optional encounter in the module).

Gamewise this was a good choice because a) the Lizard Man is more than 500 years old and would have been around in 1933, b) the Lizard Man is Neutral, and disinclined to kill the hero (like evil Garotte), c) for the rest of the campaign (set in the present) we're using the current tabloid office from the FGU pdf, and d) we have absolutely no plans to use the rest of Battle Above the Earth. The only extraterrestrials who are definitely in the gameworld are the Greys from Dave and Stacy's tabloid office pdf.

Defeating Garotte, Lizard Man, and earning the charitable money takes the world's first hero to 2nd level. We're not running any more solo stories. He's coming to the present to join the established campaign.
« Last Edit: Jun 2nd, 2010 at 9:21pm by Mike »  

IP Logged

Mike
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #25 - Jun 5th, 2010 at 12:23am
Print Post  
Opponents Unlimited gives an encounter idea about a crackpot declaring that a pothole in Main Street is an interdimensional gateway to another world.

In our Reverse World campaign, the scientist actually is legitimate and the pothole is a gateway through time--from 1933 to the present, which is how our first hero came to 2010. The one-way portal closed once the hero came through.

IP Logged

Mike
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #26 - Jun 5th, 2010 at 10:48pm
Print Post  
Pre-Emptive Strike, the last module adapted for our group, made reference to a heroic, dimension-traveling magician named Mythryl. Some of the players have long wanted a D&D vs. V&V crossover, so I turned Mythryl into a classic D&D wizard who decided to come to the V&V universe because it's a lot less fatal here (with the addition of power points)!

Using V&V rules I randomly rolled his level and stats, then raised his abilities following V&V rules.

Because classic D&D characters have the starting equivalent of a 10 to-hit base (instead of 5 in V&V), I rule that D&D characters have Heightenened Expertise with approved weapons.

Because he ended up with 7 Hit Points in V&V, and at 15th level D&D would give him 11 + 4 Hit Dice, I gave him Willpower B: + 10d4 Hit Points (which turned out to be +25)

MYTHRYL
Sex: Male
Side: Evil (Chaotic Evil in D&D)
Level: 15
Training: Agility

Powers:
1. Heightened Expertise: +4 to hit with daggers.

2. Willpower B: +25 Hit Points

3. Magical Spells (variation): 5 first-level spells, 5 second-level spells, 5 third-level spells, 5 fourth-level spells, 5 fifth-level spells, 3 sixth-level spells, 1 seventh-level spell. Spells function as they do in D&D; opponents make D&D saving throws as Fighters when applicable.

4. Special Requirement: Mythryl must spend one hour each day memorizing his spells before he can recast them.

Weight: 100 lbs.,
Basic Hits: 2
Agility Mod. +2

Strength: 10 (raised from 7)
Endurance: 18 (raised from 17)
Agility: 14 (raised from 9)
Intelligence: 15 (raised from 10)
Charisma: 15 (raised from 12)

Hit Points (7): 32
Power: 57

Origin: (Extra-Dimensional) Mysticism, Scholar. Fluent in gnome, goblin, halfling, salamander, and common tongue.

Common tongue in Mythryl's dimension is equivalent to the Old English heard in American movies. I randomly rolled the other languages from the chart published in the original Dungeon Master's Guide.
« Last Edit: Jun 6th, 2010 at 1:30am by Mike »  

IP Logged

Mike
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #27 - Jun 12th, 2010 at 12:36am
Print Post  
The Cougar wrote on Apr 25th, 2010 at 12:20pm:

Here's what finally panned out at the end of Session Nine.

The Det. Broyko of our Reverse World had been an evil CHESS double agent who died unexpectedly (and was discreatly burried)--so CHESS replaced him several years ago with a life-like android to do their bidding.

In the standard rulebook, the good organization CHESS sometimes uses android duplicates, which have a 1% of going wonky on assignment.

But in our Reverse campaign, that Broyko android went wonky, and started acting wholeheartedly on the side of good.

So all this time, the heroes' chief government liasion has been an android that had been created by an evil organization.

The engineers at GIANT are now dismantling the Broyko-bot to see what made him tick.

« Last Edit: Jun 12th, 2010 at 12:38am by Mike »  

IP Logged

The Cougar
Avenger

Roll 1d20 against ...

Reply #28 - Jun 12th, 2010 at 9:28am
Print Post  
The Broyko back story is true genius.  I love it!  This is a very special campaign you have going.

V&V character creation is too much fun.
                                     - Doctor Foom

Megalopolis PBEM
http://vav-megalopolis-pbem.blogspot.com/

IP Logged

Hawk
Avenger

Reply #29 - Jun 12th, 2010 at 12:25pm
Print Post  
I love the campaign you are running! Keep posting the updates. They are really interesting! Smiley

IP Logged

Mike
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #30 - Jun 12th, 2010 at 2:00pm
Print Post  
Cougar and Hammer, thanks for the kind words. The next adventure is going to use a great idea from the Tabloid pdf on FGU's site.

One of our PCs is from the Prohibition Era and got his powers by drinking a secret serum (think Hourman or Captain America).

Now, 77 years later, townsfolk have found a not-quite-right backup supply of the super formula, and started drinking, with super-powered results ...

This will leave the hero team up against the Moonshine Mutants, a randomly generated horde of intoxicated super-opponents!
« Last Edit: Jun 12th, 2010 at 2:04pm by Mike »  

Picture_1.png ( 35 KB | 23 Downloads )
Picture_1.png

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #31 - Jun 12th, 2010 at 2:51pm
Print Post  
Very cool idea, Mike!  As usual, your twist on something familiar is really awesome!    Smiley

IP Logged

Mike
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #32 - Jun 13th, 2010 at 12:32am
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Jun 12th, 2010 at 2:51pm:
Very cool idea, Mike!  As usual, your twist on something familiar is really awesome!    

Thanks, Majestic. To jump ahead, I've decided that the Moonshine Mutants will keep their powers only for short periods of time (even though the original hero's powers are permanent). That faux-beer went unpredictably stale after all these years! This will treat Session Ten as the day a town got drunk with super powers rather than a way to introduce another super-team.

But with several batches of super-villains in custody since our Reverse campaign started this spring, it's time to formalize that Wonder County Penitentiary from the back of the rulebook is open. The warden at the super-security prision is Frank Streeter (developer of the prototype FIST armor). Of all the Crushers from the classic Crusader module, FIST was the best fit to revamp into this role.

FIST stays at the prison at all times--he doesn't go on adventures.
« Last Edit: Jun 13th, 2010 at 12:41am by Mike »  

IP Logged

Mike
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #33 - Jun 14th, 2010 at 10:41pm
Print Post  
Hawk wrote on Jun 12th, 2010 at 12:25pm:
I love the campaign you are running! Keep posting the updates. They are really interesting! 

Thanks, Hawk.

Here are some more NPC notes.

Most of the villains from the Most Wanted volumes probably won't appear in our campaign. But I've always liked Shortstop from Vol. 3. and decided to reverse his back story. So in our world, shortstop Wilie Thorton was not ousted from professional baseball when his heightened agility and speed were disclosed--but instead became the most sought-after athlete in history.

IP Logged

>