Poll
Poll Question: In V&V, which attribute is LEAST important?
bars   pie

Strength    
  4 (36.4%)
Endurance    
  1 (9.1%)
Agility    
  0 (0.0%)
Intelligence    
  0 (0.0%)
Charisma    
  6 (54.5%)

Total votes: 11
« Created by: Mike on: May 22nd, 2010 at 1:35am »
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) In V&V, which attribute is LEAST important? (Read 2749 times)
Mike
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

In V&V, which attribute is LEAST important?
May 22nd, 2010 at 1:35am
Print Post  
I have my own ideas, but I'm interested in hearing which of the five SEAIC attributes others think is LEAST important in V&V.

Which ability come up the least, or is the most forgettable, or has the least impact in the game?

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Re: In V&V, which attribute is LEAST important?
Reply #1 - May 23rd, 2010 at 12:21am
Print Post  
It's not a clear winner for me in our games (as we have lots of house rules), but Charisma wins by a nose over Endurance.  E factors into Hit Points, which is a fairly important stat, and Endurance is also really important when you're knocked out and waiting to wake up.

Charisma - especially as straight from the rules - can often be a "dump stat".  I don't personally view it so much that way, but many (especially munckins) do.  I added a lot of importance to Charisma in our games when I made it a critical part of Perception (reasoning that your awareness of surroundings and confidence in social situations are linked).  And we use Perception a lot (far more than Detect Hidden).

Still, a lot of GMs don't roll initial reactions (I don't always either).  And once a character is a hero for long enough we find that their Charismas become almost interchangeable.  Other than the super-high C characters (like of 25-30+) they all end up somewhere in the 17-21 range.

I think the fact that it doesn't factor into HP (or other things like Damage Modifier) is part of why I think it's a little less important as well.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #2 - May 23rd, 2010 at 1:02am
Print Post  
I know this is going to be odd, but I would say Strength is the least important.  Unless you are super strong, like say 30 or 40 and above, then strength doesn't really do much for you in my game. 
  Sure, it gives you hth, but without a high aglity your base 5 to hit, and with so many defences that are just so good against HTH, your mighty punch missing more often than not is not a great deal of help.
   Even  Paulie's fabled Magnun character, with his 6d10 punch only became superbad ass because I stupidly let him drop three other powers and have FOUR doses of heightened expertise.  That means he had a +16 to hit with his punch!
   He had a lousy aglity and so if i was on the ball, the legendary Magnum, who crushed every opponent with ease, would have been the strongest  guy to swing and miss 80% of the time.

The newest characters in my game all seem to put Intellegence as their highest rolled stat, with aglity second.  They love the detection that intellegence gives them. What good is being able to beat up your opponent when you are too stupid to find out the clues so you cand find them?  And what they really desire are all those juicy inventing points!   They have become what magic items were for D&D.   
    Sure, Strength gives you carrying capacity and hit points, but Endurance gives you more hits, and Aglity gives you hits AND intitiative AND accuracy ( what good is throwing 20 missed super strong punches?) AND damage modifiers!    Go first and  hit better.  A few hits for less damage is better than not hitting for a lot!
     Even the dump stat of Charisma is given more respect by my players when they role up their characters.    Who doesn't want their commands obeyed right away.   How many times has the hero yelled to the crowd, " Disperse, citizens, there is nothing to see here!" and actually have them listen?
   Or getting information from contacts?   Or intimidate the quivering henchman?   Charisma also fuels the house rule for karma in my game.  So having a high charisma is very helpful.    I think more players have trained in charisma in my game, then have trained in strength.
    So unless you are playing the super strong guy,  strenght seems to be the dump stat in my game.

Hell, my own, very first player character that I have made in years, Silent Fury's strenght is low.   He is a hand to hand fighter too.   What is the difference between a 1d6 with a good damage modifer and a 1d8 with out one?    I would rather hit more often with a 1d6 and some extra points for speed and accuracy, then miss more often with an unmodified 1d8.

Edit- I see someone else has put Strength.   Can I ask who voted with me, and why?
« Last Edit: May 23rd, 2010 at 1:03am by John »  

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #3 - May 23rd, 2010 at 12:12pm
Print Post  
I did. Same basic reasons. That would have been The Oni Character who trained in Charisma and Dick Dante only in Int. Will and Cha.

Silent Fury should however train in Str and End to round him out based off the fact that he can hit just about all the time already.

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #4 - May 24th, 2010 at 5:11pm
Print Post  
I think, with the flexibility of Charisma, especially in regards to the more static nature of other stats, that Charisma is the least important.  I'm defining this from a starting character with nothing rolled yet.

With the rules as written, there are obvious builds that would take better advantage of a high charisma, but most do not need it.  And with the ability to donate $ to charity or whatnot and gain CHA, it becomes a low value stat.

IP Logged

Lord Inar
Justice Leaguer

Reply #5 - May 25th, 2010 at 4:07pm
Print Post  
I would have probably been more likely to agree with John if I hadn't switched the HP factor for Str and Agi, and gotten rid of the damage bonus for Agi as well (now using that value as a bonus to evasion,) which makes Str more important as well for HTH fighters.

IP Logged

The Cougar
Avenger

Roll 1d20 against ...

Reply #6 - May 27th, 2010 at 7:28am
Print Post  
I voted for Strength because the key in V&V for making super powerful HtH fighters is either Weight or Agility.

Loading up on Agility get extra damage modifiers

Loading up on Weight maximizes Carry Cap the most.  That is why Androids/Robots are so prevalent in the game.

V&V character creation is too much fun.
                                     - Doctor Foom

Megalopolis PBEM
http://vav-megalopolis-pbem.blogspot.com/

IP Logged

Hammer
Justice Leaguer

Stranger in a Stranger
Land

Reply #7 - May 27th, 2010 at 7:58am
Print Post  
Maybe I'm not doing things right, but Charisma has always been our "dump" stat.

It doesn't impact combat, much, against certain attacks it impacts to hit rolls, but not many and not by much. 

Also, Charisma improves through game play, without having to train.

And lastly, it doesn't impact hit points, to hit, or damage scores.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #8 - May 27th, 2010 at 12:01pm
Print Post  
Hammer wrote on May 27th, 2010 at 7:58am:
Maybe I'm not doing things right, but Charisma has always been our "dump" stat.

It doesn't impact combat, much, against certain attacks it impacts to hit rolls, but not many and not by much. 

Also, Charisma improves through game play, without having to train.

And lastly, it doesn't impact hit points, to hit, or damage scores.

You're not doing anything wrong, Hammer.  All of those factors are true.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #9 - May 27th, 2010 at 12:11pm
Print Post  
One interesting thing about Strength, as I think about it.  Strength does happen to be one of those things that could be used - independent of anything else - as a story factor for a critical scene in a comic or game session to help someone else or do something heroic.

In other words, Endurance and Agility are often used by a character to benefit themself (the hero grits his teeth and takes the punishment or he carefully and nibly scrambles across the tightrope).  Intelligence and Charisma are often used in a way that benefits everyone (the hero brilliantly hacks into the computer and reprograms it to shut off the nerve gas or she makes an impassioned speech that sways the crowd to put down their torches and pitchforks).  Strength can often be used in a very altruistic way, completely to help others (the hero strains but is able to push the train out of the way before it smashes into the crowd, the heroine lifts the plane off of the helpless civilians before they are crushed, the hero heroically hefts the massive door on his shoulders as the rest of the team races out of the crumbling mountain fortress).

Just an interesting thought.  I would agree that Strength is one of the least used of the Basic Characteristics.  And probably none of us use Strength much in the way I've outlined above (I know I don't as much as I'd like to).  But I have done scenes like the above before, and Strength IS a trait that can be used in a really cool, superheroic way to save others dramatically.

IP Logged

Lord Inar
Justice Leaguer

Reply #10 - May 27th, 2010 at 12:58pm
Print Post  
The Cougar wrote on May 27th, 2010 at 7:28am:
Loading up on Weight maximizes Carry Cap the most.  That is why Androids/Robots are so prevalent in the game.

Yes and it was obvious they (or at least Bill Willingham) knew that right from the start.

1) There is no way that Behemoth should weigh only 299 pounds. With the size he is in pictures, he should be called the Stay-Puft Behemoth.

2) The androids in Doctor Apocalypse specifically state they use a much lower CC (1/3, 1/4 I can't remember) specifically to counter the weight issue.

I modified weight's effect on CC, but then gave a Str bonus based on wgt (1/2 of the Agility penalty) to help move it back into line.

IP Logged

Lord Inar
Justice Leaguer

Reply #11 - May 27th, 2010 at 2:25pm
Print Post  
My modified CC uses Square Root of (Weight x 10) and multiplied by 2 instead of divided by 2.

(I think that's right)

IP Logged

>