Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Possible new play-by-post game (Read 22252 times)
The Cougar
Avenger

Roll 1d20 against ...

Re: Possible new play-by-post game
Reply #105 - Jun 13th, 2010 at 6:03pm
Print Post  
Awesome stuff!  It is amazing what you have developed DSumner.

I would be glad to guest star.  Send me an email when you are ready to create the character and what parameters there are so the character will fit the role.

Thanks

V&V character creation is too much fun.
                                     - Doctor Foom

Megalopolis PBEM
http://vav-megalopolis-pbem.blogspot.com/

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #106 - Jun 13th, 2010 at 7:07pm
Print Post  
The Cougar wrote on Jun 13th, 2010 at 6:03pm:
Awesome stuff!  It is amazing what you have developed DSumner.

I would be glad to guest star.  Send me an email when you are ready to create the character and what parameters there are so the character will fit the role.

Thanks

Feel free to shoot me a PM, with a basic character concept, whenever you ready. We can work out the baiscs now, and a more detailed character sheet later.

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #107 - Jun 13th, 2010 at 10:07pm
Print Post  
A couple of quick requests, if you haven't sent me your contact info, could you try to get it out to me this week? Also, if possible, I'd at least like to get a basic character draft from everyone. So far, I've gotten about half the group.

YIM  
IP Logged

Hawk
Avenger

Reply #108 - Jun 13th, 2010 at 10:21pm
Print Post  
If anyone drops out, I would be intersted in joining, guesting or what-ever. Let me know if something becomes available. Smiley

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #109 - Jun 13th, 2010 at 11:03pm
Print Post  
Hawk wrote on Jun 13th, 2010 at 10:21pm:
If anyone drops out, I would be intersted in joining, guesting or what-ever. Let me know if something becomes available. Smiley

I can see about working you in. Shoot me a PM with your contact info, and I'll help you work out a character.

YIM  
IP Logged

The Cougar
Avenger

Roll 1d20 against ...

Reply #110 - Jun 14th, 2010 at 9:12am
Print Post  
Would you send me the different House Rule powers would wanting to game test with this group.

Thanks

V&V character creation is too much fun.
                                     - Doctor Foom

Megalopolis PBEM
http://vav-megalopolis-pbem.blogspot.com/

IP Logged

Draconis
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #111 - Jun 14th, 2010 at 12:41pm
Print Post  
I am assuming that you did get the pdf file I linked in here a while back, D?

RWOOOAAR!!!!!

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #112 - Jun 14th, 2010 at 1:27pm
Print Post  
I got White Lightning's stuff. I'll be dropping you a note with some questions about him over the weekend.

YIM  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #113 - Jun 15th, 2010 at 12:46am
Print Post  
A few quick questions. Any of you guys planning on integrating the history into your characters background story?

How much more detail do you want to see, as I'm deliberately trying to leave some stuff vague, so I can fill it in as the game goes.

How much info do you want on things like other dimensions, planets, and the rest of the world. I've got some ideas for some time travel that could pop up at some point.

And a few quick notes

Time travel exists, but it's kind of funky, don't plan on making any major changes to world history, as things might not work out the way you planned.

Magic is alive and well, but the general public doesn't really believe in its existence.

Aliens are amongst us, and have been visiting Earth of and on for thousands of years. Some of the first genetic mutations of humans, were the results of ancient aliens tinkering with human DNA.

Other dimensions exist, and when dimensional barriers weaken, they're occupants may interact with the denizens of this one, and not always with the best results. Many of the stories of myth, are the results of some of these meetings.

While certain technology exists, things like lasers, space transports, teleporation, FTL travel, etc. Its not common place, and tends to be restricted to governments, and the PCs. Joe public isn't going to be able to stroll down to Radio Shack and pick up a hand held mutant scanner, or swing by the gun store for a plasma rifle, and ion cannon.

Super powers have existed for quite some time, and the general public tends to except the existence of super beings. While there are good little number of villains, most people tend to view the heroes as beneficial to the world. However there are exceptions.

I expect characters to generally behave in a heroic manner, so if you go around killing and maiming, expect consequences.

That'll about do it for the moment, as I'll add additional info as I work all of this out.

YIM  
IP Logged

Avenger

I Love Comic's and RP.
V&V got me started

Reply #114 - Jun 15th, 2010 at 6:04am
Print Post  
personally I like as much background as you can get. But since I will be a 'guest appearance' I guess my vote isnt as important. For those who have yet to play with dsumner i suggest you read his blog for current game get a real feel for it you'll like it

If something seems to good to be true, it's best to shoot it,just to be safe
IP Logged

Draconis
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #115 - Jun 15th, 2010 at 7:14am
Print Post  
D...  Just a word of warning.  don't ask open ended questions when thunderhead is on your boards.  The questions will never stop!!!

I'm kidding!  Sort of......   Huh

I plan on altering White Lightning's history to flow with the world's history.  If his accidental time travel is an issue, then it can be changed.  I'm not married to it.

Just let me know what you need!!!

RWOOOAAR!!!!!

IP Logged

Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

"Justice Like Lightning!"

Reply #116 - Jun 15th, 2010 at 8:30am
Print Post  
I heard...er read that... Dracomic!!!  Smiley

Now integration issues.  Thunderbolt and his sister are important to the future...in some unspecified way.  Is there a 'Villain' time traveler who is from the ...not so distant future who is interested in changing the present to proceed along course that will change his past...our present in some fashion?

This 'Time Traveler' is not interested in killing Thunderbolt or his sister - far from it, but making sure Thunderbolt does actions that will lead to the future 'his present' that is more desirable to him.  It seems as if Thunderbolt and his sister are going to be in some pivotal role in the future.  Indeed Thunderbolt will potentially gain the power and recognition similar to 'Magneto' in his ...development as a hero {though not the villain status... which is my plan, at least}.  This 'Villain' would by necessity be powerful...but not really 'known' as a time-traveler' it would defeat the purpose of his deeds here in our present.  Though he is known to make remarks when he has been seen in action like - "So that's how that happened!", "...just as scripted.", or more often than not in the case of Thunderbolt, "...you were not supposed to be here ...this changes everything!"  I say 'Villain as he may seem as such to outside observers but his motivations are a mystery to all... some times he helps the heroes...and sometimes he helps the villains make good their escape...no one really knows what he's after.

I do not know if you have a villain to match such motivations or capabilities.  So I'd like to integrate Thunderbolt  into the future...not necessarily the past... he is new to the superhero world and still has much growing up to do.

Also on non-heroic actions, as I said...Thunderbolt has a harsh but fair hand.  Villains and criminals who employ lethal force or are known to have murdered people can expect him to pull no punches in apprehending them, as would any police officer - though his expressed intention is NOT to kill them...but he cares little if they are seriously injured in his taking them down.  You petty criminals - thieves, muggers, or just violent bullies can expect a more 'gentle' hand but he will not hold back from bringing them to justice. 
One case in point...

Thunderbolt's sister knows he has weird electrical powers she saw them when they escaped the junk-yard at the advent of of their powers...whatever her's may be, but she has never seen Thunderbolt in action and has not quite put two and two together to figure it out, but that will change I expect {despite her deliquent and rebellious attitudes... Sarah is very smart... in-fact she is smarter than her big brother... INT 16.  She WILL figure it out - 'how many white-haired  black men with lighting powers can their be anyways?'}.  But one evening when Thunderbolt was out on patrol he spotted a group of young men chasing a young teenage black woman into an ally...obviously intent on having their way with her.  He moved in from above to find the best way to get her out of harms way while he dealt with the potential rapists.  Then he realized ...the young woman was his sister Sarah as the young men cornered her and one of them grabbed her tank top expecting to pull it off her.  Shawn went into a rage... drew his katana and that young man will never touch any woman, against her will, with that hand again.  Thunderbolt beat the tar out of those young men...but killed none of them...save lopping the hand off of one of them he turned them all over to the police ...though ALL of them went to the hospital first - some for longer stays than the rest.  His sister fainted when coming down from above a man in a cloak and duster arcing lighting and yelling in fury laid into the attackers. 

This is probabaly the most 'violent' Thunderbolt has ever been...he does not go out of his way to 'maim' but murderers and villains who threaten women with cruel or wicked delight... had better be wary of him... his hand is harsh sometimes.

It is my hope that the events of the game will allow him to grow out of his rage issues.
« Last Edit: Jun 15th, 2010 at 12:18pm by Thunderbolt »  

"...No amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."
GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #117 - Jun 15th, 2010 at 9:35am
Print Post  
Draconis wrote on Jun 15th, 2010 at 7:14am:
I plan on altering White Lightning's history to flow with the world's history.  If his accidental time travel is an issue, then it can be changed.  I'm not married to it.

Just let me know what you need!!!

Time travel is a bit funky. If you travel to the past, it tends to create a new/alternate time line, instead of actually altering events. If you move forward, you'll end up in  one of many "possible" time lines, so there's no guarantee what you see is what's actually going to happen (I don't want to get locked into a certain event).

YIM  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #118 - Jun 15th, 2010 at 9:41am
Print Post  
Thunderbolt wrote on Jun 15th, 2010 at 8:30am:
I heard...er read that... Dracomic!!!  Smiley

Now integration issues.  Thunderbolt and his sister are important to the future...in some unspecified way.  Is there a 'Villain' time traveler who is from the ...not so distant future who is interested in changing the present to proceed along course that will change his past...our present in some fashion?

All I'll say is yes, there are several time traveling villains. The primary one being Lord Null.

As for the rest of his history, powers, etc. shoot me a PM, as I want to work out a few things with you.

YIM  
IP Logged

Draconis
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #119 - Jun 15th, 2010 at 1:46pm
Print Post  
The Prosecution rests, Your Honor.

Simply mentioning time travel and you get a four page disertation on the subject relevant to whatever...

Cheesy

Thunderclappper, we has been gaming buddies a LONG time.  I has the right to Hair-Ess (cuz you cant say Her-Ass anymore) you any time that I feels it necessary!!!

LOL!!!!  Grin
« Last Edit: Jun 15th, 2010 at 1:50pm by Draconis »  

RWOOOAAR!!!!!

IP Logged

Draconis
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #120 - Jun 15th, 2010 at 1:55pm
Print Post  
Thunderclap's time enemy - The Temporal Messer-Upper.

RWOOOAAR!!!!!

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #121 - Jun 15th, 2010 at 3:20pm
Print Post  
A few more notes.

In general, the government tends to give heroes free reign,  (as long as they don't get out of hand), and provides official sanction to the members of the Sentinels (they have full arrest powers and can enforce any federal law). While there have been a few attempts to force all supers to register, especially during the 90s, they've all failed, as the public sees the situation as beneficial.

There are several government agencies task with monitoring super human activities (I'm still playing with names), one is a civilian law enforcement/para-military organization, one's a civilian intelligence agency, and the other run by the US military. The law enforcement agency tends to work with supers advising them, and supporting them. The intel agency takes a back seat, monitoring their activities, as well as those of beings they consider threats, and the US military tends to keep to itself.

In general, the media, or at least the US media, tends to treat supers like rock stars and celebrities. There are multiple magazines, websites, and TV shows dedicated to them, covering everything from who's dating who, to who's got the most fashionable costume. It's not unusual for one of the more popular supers to make an appearance on one of the weekly talk shows, or news network to answer questions, or to be grilled over their actions.

As with anything, the man on the street is going to want to emulate what he sees as being popular. As a result, there have been multiple attempts to artificially create super beings. The US government has funded a number of such projects with varying levels of success. One failed project resulted in the creation of the designer drug Boost (which temporally boosts the users abilities to superhuman levels).

Cybernetics (also known as Bionics), have grown by leaps and bounds over the past few decades. While the general population is just beginning to see the benefits of this, many super beings make use of them.

Alien tech, is known to exist, but is kept out of the hands of the public for both safety and security reasons. Most national governments have facilities to study any new tech that comes into their hands (the US facility is located near Area 51 in the deserts of Nevada).

I hope you guys are enjoying this stuff. I'll try to get a little more history posted by the weekend, as well as some info on the current membership of both the Sentinels and Young Sentinels.

YIM  
IP Logged

Avenger

I Love Comic's and RP.
V&V got me started

Reply #122 - Jun 15th, 2010 at 3:29pm
Print Post  
good stuff
Now I cant wait for this one to start

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #123 - Jun 15th, 2010 at 9:52pm
Print Post  
As the 90's wound down, cooler heads began to prevail, and the more violent heroes found themselves under the treat of a government crackdown. The two seemed to provide the spark needed to force the more blood thirsty members of the hero community to curb their activities.

The Sentinels took the time to reflect back on the previous decade, and decided to they needed to spend more time helping to shape the heroes of the future. They began spending more time working with young heroes, especially the Young Sentinels. New heroes, were contacted and offered the opportunity to train with more seasoned members of the hero community. Heroes who began to wander down the wrong path, were mentored, and gently guided back into the mainstream.

The US government, wishing to show support for the Sentinels, offered land for the construction of a new base of operations. A small island, located off of the East Coast, formerly the site of a Navy bombing range, was cleaned up, and given to the team. Now know as Sentinel Base, it serves as the team's formal headquarters, as well as home to several of its members.

Using state of the art technology, the base was constructed in less than a year, and was fully operational by early 2002. In addition to the team's offices, the island has an airfield, hanger facilities, dining halls, docks, several research labs, and other facilities for use by the team, support staff, and guests.

It's also equipped with a wide variety of security systems to prevent unwanted "guests" from arriving uninvited. Anyone trying to sneak, or force their way onto the island is in for some very nasty surprises, courtesy of Mother, the A.I. mainframe that's responsible for the day to operations of the island.

More later.

YIM  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #124 - Jun 15th, 2010 at 10:10pm
Print Post  
I'll be out of town for a few days, but I'll be back by Saturday. Feel free to post any questions or comments you might have. If I've missed any questions, let me know, and I'll do my best to answer them the end of the weekend.

YIM  
IP Logged

Draconis
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #125 - Jun 16th, 2010 at 7:11am
Print Post  
You have a great back plane for the up coming story.  I look forward to playing.  Here is a free offering for your campaign, take it or leave it.

TIRED OF HIRING MINIONS THAT ONLY WIND UP RATTING YOU OUT WHEN THEY EVENTUALLY FAIL AND ARE CAPTURED? 

I was too.  So I set about to solve this very inconvenient problem.  My solution?  May I present the robotic minion of the future, iCon.

These futuristic, android, minions are perfect for security, tactical, and offensive operations.  They are manufactured with the highest grade, unmarked parts to limit back tracking.  The AI (Artificial Intelligence) of these units allow them to carry out complex commands without the pesky threat of self awareness.

Remember, iCon is the wave of the future.  Contact Destoiker Industries today!

RWOOOAAR!!!!!

IP Logged

Hawk
Avenger

Reply #126 - Jun 17th, 2010 at 10:43pm
Print Post  
I was wondering if major historical events occured? Was J.F.K assassinated, Nixon brought down by Watergate,Twin Towers destroyed, or pop cultural events happened. Was Lennon killed? Iwas wondering how the presence of heros affected events.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #127 - Jun 17th, 2010 at 10:55pm
Print Post  
Hawk wrote on Jun 17th, 2010 at 10:43pm:
I was wondering if major historical events occured? Was J.F.K assassinated, Nixon brought down by Watergate,Twin Towers destroyed, or pop cultural events happened. Was Lennon killed? Iwas wondering how the presence of heros affected events.

With the exception of some things like alien invasions, and the Lunar landings finding evidence of aliens, the timeline is pretty similar to ours. For the guys who've sent me characters, I'll get to each of you over the weekend with some comments, so stand by.

YIM  
IP Logged

Draconis
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #128 - Jun 18th, 2010 at 6:33am
Print Post  
*Jitters impatiently*  Cheesy

RWOOOAAR!!!!!

IP Logged

Hawk
Avenger

Reply #129 - Jun 19th, 2010 at 7:16pm
Print Post  
What are the  parameters for character construction? Is it like the other campaign?

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #130 - Jun 19th, 2010 at 9:17pm
Print Post  
Hawk wrote on Jun 19th, 2010 at 7:16pm:
What are the  parameters for character construction? Is it like the other campaign?

Yep, although I'm still tinkering with skills.

YIM  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #131 - Jun 20th, 2010 at 7:00pm
Print Post  
Ok folks, here's some info on character creation. They're the same rules I'm using in the Empire City game I'm running. If you've got any questions, feel free to ask.

Characteristics

You've got two choices for the way you determine your character's stats. I don't care which method you choose to use, but once you've made your choice, that's what you're stuck with.

1) Roll four dice, and drop the lowest roll.
2) You get 60 points to spread between your five primary stats, with no stat below an 8.

Characteristic Maximums

The maximum stat a unaugmented/non-powered, or “normal”, human can attain is 23. The only exception to this rule is the Intelligence score, which I'll allow you to cap out at 28.

Weight & Basic Hits

**Note** The following info on weight and Basic Hits was posted on the old V&V boards, and I liked them. So like any good GM, I stole the ideas and made them my own.

Weight

When determining a character’s weight use the following:

Males: Roll 1d10 x 10 + 150
Females: 1d10 x 5 + 100

Basic Hits

Use the following table when determining the character’s Basic Hits:

Basic Hits Modification Table

100 lbs. = 2.0 basic hits
110 lbs. = 2.2 basic hits
120 lbs. = 2.4 basic hits
130 lbs. = 2.6 basic hits
140 lbs. = 2.8 basic hits
150 lbs. = 3.0 basic hits
160 lbs. = 3.2 basic hits
170 lbs. = 3.4 basic hits
180 lbs. = 3.6 basic hits
190 lbs. = 3.8 basic hits
200 lbs. = 4.0 basic hits
Etc.

When determining Hit Points, flip/flop the HP mods for STR and AGL.

YIM  
IP Logged

Draconis
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #132 - Jun 22nd, 2010 at 2:57pm
Print Post  
I know everyone wants to ask but doesn't want to seem rude.  So I'll risk being rude.

Do you know when we might start the new campaign? Wink

RWOOOAAR!!!!!

IP Logged

Hawk
Avenger

Reply #133 - Jun 22nd, 2010 at 3:49pm
Print Post  
From what I have read so far the campaign world seems to be very interesting. Smiley I for one cannnot wait. Smiley

IP Logged

Avenger

I Love Comic's and RP.
V&V got me started

Reply #134 - Jun 22nd, 2010 at 7:08pm
Print Post  
I enjoy his current and look forward to the new campaign making guest appearances

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #135 - Jun 22nd, 2010 at 9:27pm
Print Post  
Draconis wrote on Jun 22nd, 2010 at 2:57pm:
I know everyone wants to ask but doesn't want to seem rude.  So I'll risk being rude.

Do you know when we might start the new campaign? Wink

As soon as I can get everyone's character worked up (hint, hint).  Wink

YIM  
IP Logged

Draconis
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #136 - Jun 23rd, 2010 at 7:12am
Print Post  
You heard him folks!! 

HOP TO IT!!!

This is an attempt to collect your character sheets.  if you have been reached in error, get out of the way and lets us PLAY!!!

LOL!!!

RWOOOAAR!!!!!

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #137 - Jun 24th, 2010 at 5:37pm
Print Post  
Gents, if possible, I'd like to get your characters by next week, so I can get them back to you by next weekend.

YIM  
IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #138 - Jun 25th, 2010 at 10:31am
Print Post  
Dom, I'm sticking with Imaginos, so is there anything else you need from me?

IP Logged

Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

"Justice Like Lightning!"

Reply #139 - Jun 28th, 2010 at 11:05pm
Print Post  
So... ... ... ? ?? ???

Whats the hold up?  If people are not producing characters for the GM..GM...pick other players!  We do have a list of interested alternates.

"...No amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."
GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 
Topic Tools

>