Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Hello forum. You're who --? (Read 11101 times)
Troy...
Apprentice

Re: Hello forum. You're who --?
Reply #35 - Jul 1st, 2010 at 8:37pm
Print Post  
Lord Inar wrote on Jul 1st, 2010 at 12:29pm:
But seriously, in my world Helen Retro is still a very active and viable villain and any presence or absence of the word "official" won't change that!Besides,  there's never an issue if two characters have the same name... or is there? http://www.thetick.ws/car7.html

Speaking of Rocket Ma'am, there are two villains in the FGU published adventures with the name Rocker: one of them is in Most Wanted 3 and the other is a member of the Primevils from Pre-Emptive Strike. That's the only duplication I've found so far.

IP Logged

Black Bolt
Avenger

Leader of the Inhuman
Debating Society

Reply #36 - Jul 1st, 2010 at 8:43pm
Print Post  
Allen Shock wrote on Jul 1st, 2010 at 6:09pm:
There's nothing preventing that as an unofficial fan project.

For a good start I recommend Joe Littrell's excellent V&V timeline. Unfortunately his site was on geocities but here is the archive of his site.
http://web.archive.org/web/20091024012720/http://geocities.com/agent-13/canontim...

Cheers,
Tim

IP Logged

Allen Shock
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #37 - Jul 1st, 2010 at 9:13pm
Print Post  
Black Bolt wrote on Jul 1st, 2010 at 8:43pm:
Allen Shock wrote on Jul 1st, 2010 at 6:09pm:
There's nothing preventing that as an unofficial fan project.

For a good start I recommend Joe Littrell's excellent V&V timeline. Unfortunately his site was on geocities but here is the archive of his site.
http://web.archive.org/web/20091024012720/http://geocities.com/agent-13/canontim...

Cheers,
Tim

That's awesome! Thank you!

Allen

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #38 - Jul 2nd, 2010 at 12:37am
Print Post  
I have to admit that I'd not noticed the duplications mentioned here before (the ones in the FGU stuff).  We've had a bit of duplication (two PC heroes named Enigma, three villains named Death, etc.) in our campaign before, but it's been rare, and I could give you explanations for why.  I suppose it's possible for the same name to be used (in the same world), especially for lower level characters that aren't that well known outside of a geographical area.

IP Logged

Allen Shock
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #39 - Jul 2nd, 2010 at 1:13am
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Jul 2nd, 2010 at 12:37am:
I have to admit that I'd not noticed the duplications mentioned here before (the ones in the FGU stuff).  We've had a bit of duplication (two PC heroes named Enigma, three villains named Death, etc.) in our campaign before, but it's been rare, and I could give you explanations for why.  I suppose it's possible for the same name to be used (in the same world), especially for lower level characters that aren't that well known outside of a geographical area.

There's an amusing idea..two villains with similar names find out about each other and start a battle to see who gets to keep the name Smiley

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #40 - Jul 3rd, 2010 at 1:32pm
Print Post  
Allen Shock wrote on Jul 2nd, 2010 at 1:13am:
Majestic wrote on Jul 2nd, 2010 at 12:37am:

There's an amusing idea..two villains with similar names find out about each other and start a battle to see who gets to keep the name Smiley

I've thought about doing that before, actually!    Smiley

We've had two PCs named Enigma.  One was a one-time player (so nothing was ever really done with the character after the single time he played), and then - years later - another player chose that name for a secondary/tertiary character.  I assume that the first one is Enigma and the second one is Enigma II.

About a year ago my brother-in-law talked me into rolling up some characters for his kids; I went ahead and ran them through a makeshift, impromput session while we were camping (good thing I had my rulebook with me!)  My brother-in-law had played a character named Spectre for years, and that famous and heroic hero had died at the end of the module Assassin (when the nuclear sub exploded).

So when his kid got some cool powers that were fairly close to Spectre, we decided to go with the same name.  So now his son plays a youngster named Spectre II (technically that would be his name, though to everyone he meets he will simply be Spectre).  That's a facet of comics (a new hero taking on the name of an old, retired or deceased hero) that you don't often see in gaming, and I thought it was pretty sweet.

For the characters of Death, I don't see them ever conflicting over the title.  One of them was one of the Four Horsemen (from Super Crooks & Criminals), another was a strange being from another dimension (that spent months possessing the body of a PC) that we'll supposedly never see again, and the third is a member of the Tarot Masters (who took that name to fit the names of the Major Arcana).
« Last Edit: Jul 3rd, 2010 at 2:00pm by Majestic »  

IP Logged

Cat Lord
Sidekick

Saving the world from
itself since 1985.

Reply #41 - Jul 15th, 2010 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
Just weighing in...

As with any other game system or campaign I GM, canon is what I say it is. If I'm running a Star Trek campaign and I decide that every episode of the animated series is canon and that Enterprise isn't, then what Paramount, Eugene Wesley "Rod" Roddenberry, or anyone else has to say in the matter is irrelevant.

As it happens, back in the day, I did build a continuity (as I said, I had almost all the adventures) that tied everything together and merged with events in our own universe. By way of example, F.I.S.T. was dead, having been killed by one of the heroes (accidentally, of course).

If I were to participate in some other campaign, then I would expect canon to be that particular GM's interpretation of events to that point.

My two cents.

IP Logged

Madquest8
Sidekick

Why so serious?

Reply #42 - Jul 18th, 2010 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
LOL

I have a universe full of heroes and villains (200+) and take no notice whatsoever of 'canon' in this setting (and especially not with fantasy settings).

Arguing over canon is for the creators/publishers, the players and GM's just use whatever they like without paying any attention to that, half of us must have run Marvel or DC games or integrated their characters as canon into ours.

In fact with the original game, that I played over twenty years ago, no one played themselves or paid any attention to 'official characters', we were far too busy converting the Avengers or the X-men to V&V stats  Grin

As for characters with the same name, I had a new player recently make up a character with the same name as a Villain LOL

It was simply good fun as mistaken identities and the Villain trying to kill the hero to 'get his name back' were the order of the day!

IP Logged

Gigglestick
Sidekick

"Laugh-a while you ken,
munkey boy!"

Reply #43 - Jul 18th, 2010 at 8:22pm
Print Post  
We've had fun when someone makes a hero with the same name as a villain.  Or a hero takes the name of an obviously popular comic character.

"Wait, you're THAT woverine?!?!?"

And so on.

And we have a very popular villain named Enigma in one of our V&V campaigns...

IP Logged

Masked Marvel
Sidekick

First Appearance: Amazing
Adventures #1

Reply #44 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 11:24pm
Print Post  
I also tend to ignore established continuity and characters.  I have a character called The Phantom (no relation to the character in Charelton Comics).  He is in the mold of DC's The Specter -- a supernatural hero with ties to the "Netherworld".

Just curious...any other "Phantoms" out there?

I didn't know it was impossible when I did it!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools

>