Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) A new house rule! (Read 2414 times)
John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

A new house rule!
Jul 3rd, 2010 at 12:28am
Print Post  
  A new house rule, to be implemented immediatley;   No sugar or caffeine for Marshal Strong!

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

The Cougar
Avenger

Roll 1d20 against ...

Re: A new house rule!
Reply #1 - Jul 3rd, 2010 at 11:20am
Print Post  
lol
Smiley

V&V character creation is too much fun.
                                     - Doctor Foom

Megalopolis PBEM
http://vav-megalopolis-pbem.blogspot.com/

IP Logged

Duroon
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #2 - Jul 3rd, 2010 at 11:56am
Print Post  
This is more along the lines of my kind of house rules lol!

1. If you spend all of someone else's turn in combat telling them what they should do when your turn comes up you are considered to have been too busy to have prepared an action of your own and get skipped.

2. No arguing rules at the table with the GM. Argue about it after the game, or between sessions via email.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #3 - Jul 3rd, 2010 at 1:39pm
Print Post  
The "no arguing" rule reminds me of a method I used once to cut down on the arguing.  One of our players (we call him Argument Man occasionally) was constantly bickering about various rules.

I came up with an "Argument Card" (a simple 3x5 card) that was given to each player.  Much like the little red flag in football, each player got one opportunity to contest a ruling.  If they contested and got shot down, then they've used up their one opportunity.  Of course most players (nearly all?) didn't use theirs at all, and it made players think twice before squawking.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #4 - Jul 3rd, 2010 at 2:56pm
Print Post  
I am pretty lucky,  I can't recall the last time there was an argument over rules.  I would like to think its due to my fair and consistant GMing... Tongue

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #5 - Jul 3rd, 2010 at 5:40pm
Print Post  
Duroon wrote on Jul 3rd, 2010 at 11:56am:
This is more along the lines of my kind of house rules lol!

1. If you spend all of someone else's turn in combat telling them what they should do when your turn comes up you are considered to have been too busy to have prepared an action of your own and get skipped.

2. No arguing rules at the table with the GM. Argue about it after the game, or between sessions via email.

I like these, alot.  Wink

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #6 - Jul 3rd, 2010 at 6:45pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Jul 3rd, 2010 at 2:56pm:
I am pretty lucky,  I can't recall the last time there was an argument over rules.  I would like to think its due to my fair and consistant GMing... Tongue

You're probably right, but I think it comes down to the players.  In most circumstances, and with most games, I/we don't have any arguments.

But with V&V - probably because so many things are wide open and open to interpretation - certain personalities are prone to question everything.  "But I don't think that's the way my Gravity Control works when it interacts with..."

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #7 - Jul 3rd, 2010 at 6:57pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Jul 3rd, 2010 at 6:45pm:
John wrote on Jul 3rd, 2010 at 2:56pm:

You're probably right, but I think it comes down to the players.  In most circumstances, and with most games, I/we don't have any arguments.

But with V&V - probably because so many things are wide open and open to interpretation - certain personalities are prone to question everything.  "But I don't think that's the way my Gravity Control works when it interacts with..."

I think a lot of people forget that 1) it's only a game 2) it's supposed to be fun, and that arguing takes the fun out of it 3) sometimes just go along with it, if it helps move the storyline along. If they're going to get all bent out of shape about "losing" then perhaps they should look for a different type of genre, as superheroes do loose battles, as part of the story.

YIM  
IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #8 - Jul 3rd, 2010 at 8:58pm
Print Post  
John, in my opinion, every time one of my characters died,  you screwed up a rule.

Cool

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself -- Steven Segal

IP Logged

Duroon
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #9 - Jul 4th, 2010 at 12:52am
Print Post  
I have a group of players, not my V&V group, that always questions rules that they feel don't fit in with how things really work. I didn't ask any of them to join my V&V group when I started it of course. I did just run them through the adventure Secret in the Swamp to give our regular GM a bit of a break. We stretched it out by about three hours with constant arguments about how things work of course but managed to get through it. Two of those players also have no clue how to act like a superhero.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #10 - Jul 4th, 2010 at 1:33am
Print Post  
Duroon wrote on Jul 4th, 2010 at 12:52am:
I have a group of players, not my V&V group, that always questions rules that they feel don't fit in with how things really work. I didn't ask any of them to join my V&V group when I started it of course. I did just run them through the adventure Secret in the Swamp to give our regular GM a bit of a break. We stretched it out by about three hours with constant arguments about how things work of course but managed to get through it. Two of those players also have no clue how to act like a superhero. 

Apparently they have no clue about suspending reality, and just going with the flow. It's a FANTASY game,  where people shoot lasers out of their eyes, at 60 foot tall alien monsters. People shouldn't worry to much about reality, as long as it makes for a good story, and fun gaming session.

YIM  
IP Logged

Duroon
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #11 - Jul 4th, 2010 at 11:38am
Print Post  
There are players from my GURPS group of course, If your not familiar with GURPS it is a super number crunching ultra realistic system. Combat rounds last one second, and there are skills for everything.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #12 - Jul 4th, 2010 at 2:05pm
Print Post  
Duroon wrote on Jul 4th, 2010 at 11:38am:
There are players from my GURPS group of course, If your not familiar with GURPS it is a super number crunching ultra realistic system. Combat rounds last one second, and there are skills for everything. 

I'm quite familiar with it, and don't particularly like the system for certain genres, super hero gaming being one of them. But they did put out some fun little GURPS Supers source books. Super Scum being one of them (you can pick it up on the cheap, and the power levels are pretty easy to convert over to V&V).

YIM  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #13 - Jul 4th, 2010 at 2:17pm
Print Post  
Wow, lots of responces for me just goofing on Marshal Strong! Cheesy

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #14 - Jul 5th, 2010 at 12:46pm
Print Post  
Paul wrote on Jul 3rd, 2010 at 8:58pm:
John, in my opinion, every time one of my characters died,  you screwed up a rule.

Cool

Yes if you mean ignoring the actual die rolls, and from behind the screen claiming it was another "1, double damage", then yes, I screwed up.  Lots!

IP Logged

>