Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) A Deep Study: Willpower (Read 3308 times)
John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

A Deep Study: Willpower
Jul 17th, 2010 at 3:08pm
Print Post  
  Willpower is one of my favorite powers in the game.  I didn't realise it untill the hitpoint thread, that I may be using it differently then most.  So I thought I would write a post about how I use it in my game.
   I always took this power to be the character can take control of all the automatic body functions and make their own body do what he wants as long as he has power points.
   Kind of like a super powered Guru, or Monk.
   It works as a defence as the player can ignore some pain and keep on going.  This is why the to hit roll is slightly lower for some attacks.
    The hero can over ride and take control of any and all body functions at will.  This means, out of phase, or when being attacked.  Anytime, except when suprised. 
    A player with will power can spend a point of power to instantly recall information, speed read,  hold his breath, lower their heart rate,  stay concsious when they failed the knock out roll, or when at zero hits*.
     I had a player drop their body temperature so that the infrared scanner couldn't pick him up, or stay lucid when under mindcontrol.  Another player used willpower to create "false thoughts" to trick a telepath.   
   In comics,  Robot Man was drugged and he made his brain secret more thorazine to counter the drug.  I aways thought this was a use of willpower. 
   A character with Willpower can resist torture,  keep calm if they fail a moral roll, stay in control when attacked my emotion control, etc...
   Keep in mind these bonuses only work when a point of power is spent per turn, per effect wanted.  So if a player is mind contolled, they have to spend a point of power per turn to remain in control of themselves.  If they are knocked out, or drop the willpower, or run out of power, then they succumb to the mindcontrol and act accourdingly.
   If a player is hit and fails his knock out roll, they can remain awake as long as they spend power to do so.   They must still save every turn to see if they "wake up".  Until they make their save, they must spend power to use willpower to stay up.
   Also,  in my game, I have a critical hit rule.  So you can bleed out if your wound is bad.   With willpower, you can stop the blood flow so you will stop bleeding out hit points as long as you keep your willpower on this. 
   So willpower is one of the more sought out powers in my game.  Its uses are almost limitless.

* you still die, even if you have willpower if your hits are at zero and your power is at zero, so when doing this, be very careful, and watch your power score!

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Re: A Deep Study: Willpower
Reply #1 - Jul 17th, 2010 at 3:21pm
Print Post  
I've got a list of potential uses for Will Power, if you're interested, I can post them. And while I'm thinking about it, I've also got a list for additional things Telepaths can do. It's still in a rough form, but I'm thinking that as the player progresses, they can spend an inventing point to gain an additional ability.

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #2 - Jul 17th, 2010 at 3:22pm
Print Post  
Cool post away.

Did you see my house rules on telepathy?   Telepaths can do a bit more than just read minds.

If not, click on the banner for a pop up with my house rules  and see the new telepathy rules that I use.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #3 - Jul 17th, 2010 at 3:30pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Jul 17th, 2010 at 3:22pm:
Cool post away.

Did you see my house rules on telepathy?   Telepaths can do a bit more than just read minds.

If not, click on the banner for a pop up with my house rules  and see the new telepathy rules that I use.

I think I glanced over them, but I'll do a copy and paste so i can print them out. I'll post the Willpower stuff in a few.

YIM  
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #4 - Jul 17th, 2010 at 4:21pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Jul 17th, 2010 at 3:08pm:
It works as a defence as the player can ignore some pain and keep on going.This is why the to hit roll is slightly lower for some attacks.

Wow!  You really do make Willpower desireable!  I've always viewed Willpower (in V&V) in a different way, at least as it regards this (and how it interacts with other attack powers on the Combat Table).

- When a player gets the -5 vs. HTH, I've always thought of this as the "Jaws" defense (or other James Bond villains, like Oddjob).  Bond would punch them (in the chin, or the gut), and they would just....slowly....smile (showing that the punch didn't really hurt them).    Cool

- For Emotion Control and Mind Control, I've always thought that it reduces the base chance to hit to 0 to reflect that the person can use that willpower to resist the effect.  So if a Mind Control villain (as an example) has a Base Chance to Hit of 12 (after factoring in Accuracy and whatnot) - and assuming no plusses or minuses from Level and/or Intelligence or Charisma - then it would go down 9, so I'd write that as a 3(12).  That means that - due to the resistive mind the Willpower hero has - the villain has to roll a 3 or less to "hit" with their Mind Control.  If he rolled a 4-12, then the Willpower guy/gal would spend a point of Power to resist the effects.  A 13 to 20 would just be a straight miss.  So, in other words, it greatly enhances your ability to resist (in my games Willpower characters very rarely get Mind Controlled or Emotion Controlled), but it doesn't make it impossible.

Our most common use of Willpower - by characters with Willpower and even by characters who don't have it - is by one of our players when somebody cracks a joke or says something funny at the table.  He tries to hold back his laugh, and always says "A point of Willpower to resist laughing!"    Grin

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #5 - Jul 17th, 2010 at 5:01pm
Print Post  
Here's a list of possible uses for Willpower. I got the idea for most of them, after reading over a copy of FGU's Psi-World (I picked it up on the cheap from Ebay). The number of uses a character can apply is dependent upon the GM. I tend to allow characters with fewer powers more options. Another suggestion is to have characters spend inventing points, as they advance in level, to develop more abilities, simulating them becoming more experienced with their powers.

POSSIBLE USES FOR WILLPOWER

Feign Death: The character can enter a death like trance. Only a trained medic (EMT, Doctor, or nurse) will be able to detect the deception. The user must state the time duration of the trance before entering this state. While in the death trance, the user is not aware of anything happening around him/her. Trance will be broken if the character suffers any form of harm.

Stasis: Places the character in deep suspended animation. While in this state he/she will not age, and progressive damage (such as blood loss, disease, or severe wounds) will be stabilize. A person in Stasis requires little air and no food and water. The stasis will be broken if the character receives damage while in this state. Before entering the trance, the character must state the duration of the trance.

Speed: Allows the character to double his/her movement rate.

Forced March: Allows the character to double the amount of ground covered in a single day. To accomplish this, the character enters into an active trance state and sets out towards a stated destination. The character will ignore all outside stimuli that do not pertain to reaching his/her goal. Upon reaching the stated goal, or 24 hours has passed, the trance will terminate.

Go without food/water: Allows the character to ignore the body's need for food and water for a maximum of three consecutive days. If the character tries to go beyond this limit, he/she will lose 1 point of Power per hour of the fourth day. Should the character's Power score reach zero, the character will fall into a coma, and will require medical attention and intravenous feeding. 

Go Without Sleep: The character can ignore his/her body's need for rest or sleep for up to three consecutive days. The consequences of trying to push beyond this three day limit are identical to those stated above for 'go without food or water'.

Resist Heat: The character can ignore the effects of working in an unusually hot environment. Note that the ability will not prevent the character from suffering burn damage, but he/she will not be aware of it until the duration of the ability expires.

Resist Cold: Same as resist heat, except that the effects of cold is ignored.

Resist Pain: Allows the character to ignore the effects of pain upon the body. Limbs may be forced to function normally after a major wound or being broken.

Let me know what you think, of these, as I might be able to come up withe a few more.
« Last Edit: Feb 24th, 2011 at 4:54pm by dsumner »  

YIM  
IP Logged

The Cougar
Avenger

Roll 1d20 against ...

Reply #6 - Jul 23rd, 2010 at 8:02am
Print Post  
Great translation,  these really fit well with willpower

V&V character creation is too much fun.
                                     - Doctor Foom

Megalopolis PBEM
http://vav-megalopolis-pbem.blogspot.com/

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #7 - Jul 30th, 2010 at 6:31pm
Print Post  
These are great!
John, when you force a saving throw for a stunt, what is the player saving against?
Thanks.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #8 - Jul 30th, 2010 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
inventing,  as they are making up something new right on the spot.

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #9 - Jul 30th, 2010 at 6:57pm
Print Post  
Thanks,

IP Logged

Galaxy Boy
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #10 - Aug 17th, 2010 at 10:44pm
Print Post  
Speaking of Willpower, can someone please explain to me what EXACTLY is Type B of Willpower? It says it is some kind of permanent power of ability increase? Can someone give me an example?

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #11 - Aug 17th, 2010 at 11:15pm
Print Post  
Its one of the wildcard powers.  You can make up anything you want.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #12 - Feb 24th, 2011 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
Bumping these up, as I really like to know what you guys think of them, and if anyone's used them in a game.

YIM  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #13 - Aug 22nd, 2016 at 6:56am
Print Post  
Other uses for Willpower:

Focus on a search: you make your detection rolls on a d20 that action rather than d20.*

Combat: you can redirect your bonuses. This means for each action you can take your accuracy mods and turn them into damage mods for one attack or your damage mods to accuracy.

If you have regeneration, I would allow you to force your body to heal faster but I would treat each extra healing as a seperate action. This is a tiring way to heal, but it's the player's choice. This, I think, simulates Wolverine's healing nicely.

* mean D100 ( Majestic is a jerk! Cheesy)
« Last Edit: Aug 22nd, 2016 at 8:53pm by John »  

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #14 - Aug 22nd, 2016 at 5:18pm
Print Post  
Focus on a search: So a d20 instead of a d20?  I'd always choose the d20!  Cheesy

IP Logged

>