Poll
Poll Question: Enter the Gene Pool: favorite villain?
bars   pie

Drifter    
  1 (25.0%)
Invisible Menace    
  0 (0.0%)
Persephone    
  0 (0.0%)
Professor Phylum    
  1 (25.0%)
Roadkill    
  1 (25.0%)
Serenade    
  0 (0.0%)
Sunscar    
  1 (25.0%)
the hippogriff    
  0 (0.0%)

Total votes: 4
« Created by: Troy... on: Jul 22nd, 2010 at 12:25pm »
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Enter the Gene Pool: favorite villain? (Read 2865 times)
Troy...
Apprentice

Enter the Gene Pool: favorite villain?
Jul 22nd, 2010 at 12:25pm
Print Post  
Say, I've got all the 2010 releases from both companies and just realized that Enter the Gene Pool might be the first full-fledged super-villain team we've seen. (No disrespect is meant to the other sources that feature criminal organizations, gangs, or solo foes.)

Of the Gene Pool crew, who is your favorite member?  Cheesy

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Re: Enter the Gene Pool: favorite villain?
Reply #1 - Jul 22nd, 2010 at 1:42pm
Print Post  
Off the top of my head, Id say that Drifter and Persephone are my personal favorites.

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #2 - Jul 23rd, 2010 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
That's a hard question, as I think all of them are pretty cool!  I really like Drifter, but I voted for Sunscar (just because his powers are so cool and creative!)

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #3 - Jul 27th, 2010 at 11:28am
Print Post  
This doesn't count as an official vote, but one of my friends just sent me the following message:

I have to say, "Roadkill" is one of the best villain names I've heard in a long time.

For those who haven't purchased Enter the Gene Pool, here's a piece of Roadkill trivia from the published adventure:

Roadkill has recently taken to painting a large red cross mark on his chest after each successful job. This is best understood as being a "checking off a box" on a score sheet or card.

The red mark is partially visible on the cover. The illustrator deserves credit for that piece of check-box characterization!
« Last Edit: Jul 27th, 2010 at 11:30am by polarboy »  

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #4 - Jul 27th, 2010 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
I have to say (again) that all of the villains are really cool.  Drifter probably looks the best, but they've each got something unique and special about them.

We were watching Percy Jackson a couple of nights ago, and I was able to say "Hey, I know what Persephone can do, and I couldn't have told you that a week ago!" (unfortunately, in the movie she didn't have an icy stare)    Smiley

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #5 - Jul 27th, 2010 at 2:22pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Jul 27th, 2010 at 2:04pm:
We were watching Percy Jackson a couple of nights ago, and I was able to say "Hey, I know what Persephone can do, and I couldn't have told you that a week ago!" (unfortunately, in the movie she didn't have an icy stare)    

A few weeks before publication (well after the Gene Pool manuscript was submitted), I saw a rerun of Law & Order SVU in which Olivia went under cover using the name Persephone. But no cold-blue skin, no icy stare. All mythological names have a tendency to be used in different media!

More trivia: An early draft of the manuscript called the Gene Pool villain Demeter, but I settled on Persephone before submitting the manuscript to FGU. It was the right decision. That insgnia she wears is a modified version of one of the symbols for Hades. Illustrator James Bishop gets credit for adding that shiny touch to Persephone's costume.
« Last Edit: Jul 27th, 2010 at 3:23pm by polarboy »  

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #6 - Jul 27th, 2010 at 5:48pm
Print Post  
polarboy wrote on Jul 27th, 2010 at 2:22pm:
Majestic wrote on Jul 27th, 2010 at 2:04pm:
We were watching Percy Jackson a couple of nights ago, and I was able to say "Hey, I know what Persephone can do, and I couldn't have told you that a week ago!" (unfortunately, in the movie she didn't have an icy stare)    

A few weeks before publication (well after the Gene Pool manuscript was submitted), I saw a rerun of Law & Order SVU in which Olivia went under cover using the name Persephone. But no cold-blue skin, no icy stare. All mythological names have a tendency to be used in different media!

More trivia: An early draft of the manuscript called the Gene Pool villain Demeter, but I settled on Persephone before submitting the manuscript to FGU. It was the right decision. That insgnia she wears is a modified version of one of the symbols for Hades. Illustrator James Bishop gets credit for adding that shiny touch to Persephone's costume.

I noticed that and wondered what symbol it was; it is indeed a very nice touch!    Smiley

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #7 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 10:19am
Print Post  
Strange as it sounds, I'm kinda partial to Invisible Menace... Watching movies like Hollow Man show just how scary an invisible opponent can be... Invisible people need love too Smiley.

If it's not fun, we're not doing it right.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #8 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 10:50am
Print Post  
AlabasterKnight wrote on Jul 28th, 2010 at 10:19am:
Strange as it sounds, I'm kinda partial to Invisible Menace... Watching movies like Hollow Man show just how scary an invisible opponent can be... Invisible people need love too Smiley.

Single, White, Male, looking for single female for long term relationship. Must be willing to overlook slight medical condition, and willing to assist in medial research program. Contact I.M.@Genepool.com  Wink

YIM  
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #9 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
I found it interesting that a marker was made for IM (or that markers are made for any invisible characters), especially since he's permanently invisible.

My main PC right now has Invisibility, so I deal with this issue a lot.  What I like to do for characters with this power is to make two markers.  One completely normal, and a second one that is ghosted (easy to do in Microsoft Word), to indicate when they're invisible.  This helps to show where they are, but subtly reminds everyonet that they can't be seen.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #10 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 1:49pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Jul 28th, 2010 at 1:22pm:
I found it interesting that a marker was made for IM (or that markers are made for any invisible characters), especially since he's permanently invisible.

Well he does have the ankle bracelet, so you could just have that on the marker.  Wink

YIM  
IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #11 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 1:58pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Jul 28th, 2010 at 1:22pm:

I'm glad we did make a marker for Menance in the even that he is detected under standard rules (or by other abilities that PCs might have).  Smiley

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #12 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 2:11pm
Print Post  
Yeah, it's good to have a marker for those cases (when one is detected).

The ankle bracelet is a neat touch (I'm sure once somebody spots him, they then have a way to continually keep him in view, too).  It's almost a Vulnerability (but one he could remove anytime he wants to).    Smiley

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #13 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 6:45pm
Print Post  
So, any of you guys run the adventure yet? Or plan to do so in the future?

YIM  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #14 - Oct 31st, 2010 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
Just checkign in to see who's run this? Personally, I think it be god module for a relatively new group of hears, say a follow up to Crisis, as they'd have little media exposure, an adventure or two, but are still trying to get their legs.

YIM  
IP Logged

>