Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Heroic Portland (Read 12467 times)
Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Re: Heroic Portland
Reply #35 - Dec 31st, 2010 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
Duroon wrote on Dec 30th, 2010 at 8:24pm:
In the lower level there are only three rooms, all Dr. Glisan's of course. The tunnels connecting the three rooms are only two and half feet wide. As a head in a jar atop a robotic body that flies this poses no problem for Dr Glisan, most heroes will have to crawl through. Some heroes may find that difficult.

Great maps, sir!  And a very cool idea on how to make things tough for the heroes (based on something unique to the villain)!    Cool

IP Logged

Duroon
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #36 - Dec 31st, 2010 at 6:06pm
Print Post  
Alrighty then, the final battle with Dr. Glisan!

Into the lair of Dr. Glisan!

IP Logged

Duroon
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #37 - Dec 31st, 2010 at 6:08pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Dec 31st, 2010 at 5:39pm:
Great maps, sir!And a very cool idea on how to make things tough for the heroes (based on something unique to the villain)!

Unfortunately the heroes never made it downstairs! They set off an alarm early in the infiltration and had the battle royale in the storage area just past the hanger on the first level.

IP Logged

Duroon
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #38 - Jan 3rd, 2011 at 9:42pm
Print Post  
I have been reworking some of the maps in campaign cartographer. Some of them I had never actually done in CC3, and now that I have some practice under my belt with the program I figured I would go ahead and get cracking on that at least. Here is a quick pic of the bank map that was the location for my groups initial adventure together. The bank actually has a second floor but so far this is just floor one and the parking lot around it of course.
« Last Edit: Jan 4th, 2011 at 2:35am by Duroon »  

Gresham_Bank.PNG ( 532 KB | 3 Downloads )
Gresham_Bank.PNG
IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #39 - Jan 4th, 2011 at 12:10am
Print Post  
I love this progam your using. Beats the hell out of the old days, using  a dry erase marker and some vinyl map with squares on one side and hexes on the other.

Hey! I had an ideal. No, no, Im okay really it only hurt a little bit. Your parking lot - it needs a lamp post or two for the bricks to swing at each other with after all the cars are smashed Cheesy

aka Dracos aka DarkStar aka Star Guard

IP Logged

Duroon
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #40 - Jan 4th, 2011 at 12:46am
Print Post  
I will see if I can find some clip art for a lamp post lol!

Edit: Found some!
« Last Edit: Jan 4th, 2011 at 2:34am by Duroon »  
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #41 - Jan 4th, 2011 at 3:27pm
Print Post  
I really like this, too.  Do you end up printing them out with your printer at home, Duroon?

Yesterday I spent some time looking at Dundjinni (http://www.dundjinni.com/) and Paizo Flip-Mats (http://paizo.com/gameMastery/maps/steelSqwireFlipMats).

Most of the time I end up using the white/off-white vinyl maps with squares on them, as Ranger made reference to.  I'd love to use some better, more colorful stuff like this!    Smiley
« Last Edit: Jan 4th, 2011 at 3:28pm by Majestic »  

IP Logged

Duroon
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #42 - Jan 4th, 2011 at 3:48pm
Print Post  
I print them out through the local Fed-Ex/Kinko's usually. It can be a bit spendy I am afraid! The print shop can't print all the way to the edge of the paper, most modern printers won't do this anyway, but I add in a 5% over printing to each page so the borders can be cut off and the map pieced together even though part of each page gets cut off by the printer. The other option would be to have them printed on 11x17 paper and then "cut to bleed" as they put it. That would enable me to get rid of the 5% overlap for each page but cost more in paper and they would still need to be trimmed.

I will be posting some of these maps to the yahoo group as they get finished, without any key text or anything. They will be in PDF form so they may be printed and assembled as game mats.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #43 - Jan 4th, 2011 at 6:34pm
Print Post  
Duroon wrote on Jan 4th, 2011 at 3:48pm:
I print them out through the local Fed-Ex/Kinko's usually. It can be a bit spendy I am afraid! The print shop can't print all the way to the edge of the paper, most modern printers won't do this anyway, but I add in a 5% over printing to each page so the borders can be cut off and the map pieced together even though part of each page gets cut off by the printer. The other option would be to have them printed on 11x17 paper and then "cut to bleed" as they put it. That would enable me to get rid of the 5% overlap for each page but cost more in paper and they would still need to be trimmed.

I will be posting some of these maps to the yahoo group as they get finished, without any key text or anything. They will be in PDF form so they may be printed and assembled as game mats. 

That's really incredible, and I am impressed by all the work you put into your game (I think we're similar in that regard).  About how much $ do they run at Fed-Ex/Kinko's?

IP Logged

Duroon
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #44 - Jan 4th, 2011 at 8:32pm
Print Post  
For full color printing $10-$15 for a map. The larger the map the more expensive of course. Black and white printing would be much cheaper of course. It's cheaper to print them out yourself but with as much ink as one map would use you will run out of ink quickly and the pages get saturated (and wrinkly). I am looking at buying a color laser printer, which would be the cheapest option for mass producing these myself. The new color laser printers run $300-$400 and I can get hundreds of pages from the toner cartridges before needing a refill, plus no wrinkling from over saturated pages.

If I had the bucks I would just buy a projector and use something like maptool to project the maps down to the table (serious money to get set up but never have to print any of the maps again).
« Last Edit: Jan 4th, 2011 at 8:34pm by Duroon »  
IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #45 - Jan 4th, 2011 at 10:01pm
Print Post  
Duroon wrote on Jan 4th, 2011 at 12:46am:
I will see if I can find some clip art for a lamp post lol!

Edit: Found some!

Dude that's awesome fast edit Smiley

Majestics right. You really go all in for the hobby Cool

aka Dracos aka DarkStar aka Star Guard

IP Logged

Duroon
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #46 - Jan 4th, 2011 at 10:13pm
Print Post  
I found a new feature with the program, the ability to add lighting effects! This really adds to the atmosphere of a night scene!

Gresham_Bank_lights.PNG ( 141 KB | 5 Downloads )
Gresham_Bank_lights.PNG
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #47 - Jan 5th, 2011 at 1:51pm
Print Post  
Duroon wrote on Jan 4th, 2011 at 10:13pm:
I found a new feature with the program, the ability to add lighting effects! This really adds to the atmosphere of a night scene!

These get cooler and cooler!

One guy on an email list I'm on had the full set-up, with a projector and full set up in his man-cave.  It would indeed be pretty darn cool to be able to have something like that!   Smiley

IP Logged

Duroon
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #48 - Jan 5th, 2011 at 2:46pm
Print Post  
I uploaded pics of both floors to the yahoo group and placed links in their descriptions for download of the PDF's The current ones up do not have the lighting effects, I will add copies with lighting when I get them done. The yahoo group is at 85% of it's allotted file space and I didn't want to clog up the rest as these can be pretty big.

There are no room descriptions or keys to the maps, there is also no logo's from any company. They can be used in any game that you feel might benefit from them.

IP Logged

Duroon
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #49 - Jan 5th, 2011 at 2:55pm
Print Post  
Here is a look at the second floor with light effects.

Gresham_Bank_Floor_2_lights.PNG ( 427 KB | 2 Downloads )
Gresham_Bank_Floor_2_lights.PNG
IP Logged

Duroon
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #50 - Jan 16th, 2011 at 4:24pm
Print Post  
Been awhile since I posted a map so here is the "Dixie Southern Comfort Beds" store. I am changing the name of the store, when I ran my players through this I used the businesses real name "Dixie Mattress Company". Of course that is a real business here in town.

IP Logged

Duroon
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #51 - Jan 16th, 2011 at 8:57pm
Print Post  
The basement of the store.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #52 - Jan 16th, 2011 at 9:14pm
Print Post  
As always, these look amazing!  That one bed with the cobwebs hasn't been seeing much use lately, I gather.    Grin

IP Logged

Duroon
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #53 - Jan 16th, 2011 at 11:45pm
Print Post  
The Dixie Mattress Company is a rather infamous store here in Portland. No one is ever seen going in or out, the place is dirty and grimy, and yet the owner insists it is a valid business and has refused to sell the property for years. The neighborhood is very trendy and has been undergoing urban renewal the last few years. The sign out front has two Confederate flags on it. It's a pretty bizarre place.

I found an actual photo of the sign on the internet.

dixiemattress2.jpg ( 86 KB | 1 Download )
dixiemattress2.jpg
IP Logged

Duroon
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #54 - Jan 21st, 2011 at 8:06pm
Print Post  
I have decide to go with black and white maps for the adventure itself. I will make color maps for supplements to go with the adventure when it is finished. Thankfully I can make all maps at the same time, just add different effects for rendering as B&W or color.

« Last Edit: Jan 21st, 2011 at 8:11pm by Duroon »  
IP Logged

Duroon
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #55 - Oct 22nd, 2011 at 12:33am
Print Post  
A wee bit of thread necromancy....

Hey folks, I am still alive and kicking. And so is my campaign group for that matter. We ran through a couple of pre made adventures over the summer and are now back into my home brew stuff. I have also been quite busy over the summer, laid off from work with the family biz and now doing volunteer work at the Community Cycling Center in Portland.

Oh yeah, I have lost 120 pounds since last October too.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #56 - Oct 22nd, 2011 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
Wow - congrats on the weight loss, Duroon!    Smiley

Would love to hear how your group did with the pre made adventures, when you get the time!

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Graak kill Blue Skins! />

Reply #57 - Oct 23rd, 2011 at 3:37am
Print Post  
those maps are awesome looking! Funny enough, I am looking at Portland as a possible place to move to once we sell the family house. If I do, I'll have to see if you have room in your group for one more player  Wink

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #58 - Oct 23rd, 2011 at 10:07am
Print Post  
Yes, certainly congratulations on the weight loss; quite amazing. I hope it has lent to a better state of health in general as well.
I also hope the economics of your situation are able to recover; tough times we live in with some uncertain mood in the country...

... and of course the maps look good!

If it's not fun, we're not doing it right.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #59 - Oct 24th, 2011 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
If you move out to the Left Coast, Gerry, you'll have to keep in mind that we have an annual convention with loads of V&V (and other games) every June.  This year will be our 10th one, and Portland is only about 3 hours away.   Smiley

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #60 - Oct 24th, 2011 at 7:38pm
Print Post  
Well it's confirmed yet, and Portland is one of two cities I've narrowed it down to currently. As I don't drive, I'm mainly restricted by public transportation and my bicycle, so that might be a trip I can't make. Of course this is a ways off.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #61 - Oct 24th, 2011 at 8:38pm
Print Post  
Sorry for not responding sooner, but the internet over here leaves lot to be desired (it's VERY expensive, and goes out a lot). The maps look great, and I'm glad to hear about the weight loss. Are you exercising?

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #62 - Oct 25th, 2011 at 12:58pm
Print Post  
Gerry wrote on Oct 24th, 2011 at 7:38pm:
Well it's confirmed yet, and Portland is one of two cities I've narrowed it down to currently. As I don't drive, I'm mainly restricted by public transportation and my bicycle, so that might be a trip I can't make. Of course this is a ways off.

Well there's always carpooling (others come up from Portland, and maybe even Duroon could make it), as well as some good public transportation (there's a train that goes between the two cities that I've used; it's pretty inexpensive and decent).  Portland is one of the better cities for public transportation, I hear (Seattle, not so much).

IP Logged

Duroon
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #63 - Oct 29th, 2011 at 1:19pm
Print Post  
Portland is an awesome city if you are a bike commuter as well.

Things have been going pretty good. I am doing a lot of volunteer work while I search for a job. Mostly at the Community Cycling Center, a non profit that refurbishes bicycles and gives them to children and adults as well. The kid's bikes are for children whose parents aren't able to afford to give them one and the adult bikes are for folks who can't afford any sort of transportation. It has been very fulfilling plus a lot of on the job training for me as I am searching for a job at a bike shop. I attended United Bicycle Institute and became a certified bike technician in May. Unfortunately most bike shops only hire in the spring but my unemployment benefits are keeping us going in the meantime.

Health wise things are looking great, I was pre diabetic and had other issues with my blood work a year ago when I started this diet. I am happy to say all of those issues have cleared up. I average 30-40 miles a week on my bicycle and just this last Thursday I did 21 miles in one day (the most I normally do in a day is 8). My wife has lost 130 pounds in the same amount of time and my son, who wanted to join the army, managed to lose the 60 pounds he needed to sign up. He just graduated basic training at Ft Benning and is now off to his tech school at Ft Lee.

Gerry, if you wind up in Portland I am sure we could squeeze you in to the game, currently I have four players and my max is 6. I will warn you that some of the players are still having difficulty with the concept that my game is not an arms race to see who can develop the most offensive abilities.

AK, the pre made adventures were OK but I definitely prefer my homebrew style to running something someone else has written. I ended up making a lot of changes to the adventures as I just didn't like how some of it was "supposed" to play out. That is the beauty of RPG's though, no one is standing over your shoulder telling you you must do things as written. Spoiler alert! If you haven't run through In Broad Daylight and don't want anything ruined for you stop reading now!

I think the biggest change I made was allowing the heroes to actually rescue the supermodel at the end of In Broad Daylight instead having her turn on them and become a super-villain, just more satisfying to me that way.
« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2011 at 1:20pm by Duroon »  
IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #64 - Nov 7th, 2011 at 5:27am
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Oct 25th, 2011 at 12:58pm:
Gerry wrote on Oct 24th, 2011 at 7:38pm:

Well there's always carpooling (others come up from Portland, and maybe even Duroon could make it), as well as some good public transportation (there's a train that goes between the two cities that I've used; it's pretty inexpensive and decent).  Portland is one of the better cities for public transportation, I hear (Seattle, not so much).

I'll keep that in mind then. It will likely be a while before I have to decide, as we haven't even had a broker look at the house so we can put it up for sale. But it seems to be the most likely spot, with Omaha a close second. The reason Portland is in the lead is because I at least know someone who lives there (ie Duroon, with you being close by), and the fact that Portland has the HP Lovecraft Film Festival, which I've been wanting to go to for about 10 years or so. If I move there, I can actually go for a change!
« Last Edit: Nov 7th, 2011 at 5:53am by Gerry »  

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #65 - Nov 7th, 2011 at 5:52am
Print Post  
Duroon wrote on Oct 29th, 2011 at 1:19pm:
Portland is an awesome city if you are a bike commuter as well.

That's excellent news! As I said, I don't drive, but the site I work at is close to home, so my commute is 10-15 minutes, depending on traffic. I ride until it's too cold for me to do so (which is usually sometime in December)

Things have been going pretty good. I am doing a lot of volunteer work while I search for a job. Mostly at the Community Cycling Center, a non profit that refurbishes bicycles and gives them to children and adults as well. The kid's bikes are for children whose parents aren't able to afford to give them one and the adult bikes are for folks who can't afford any sort of transportation. It has been very fulfilling plus a lot of on the job training for me as I am searching for a job at a bike shop. I attended United Bicycle Institute and became a certified bike technician in May. Unfortunately most bike shops only hire in the spring but my unemployment benefits are keeping us going in the meantime.

I wish you luck with that. These days, having a job is a blessing. I'm going on 7 years at my current job, so I'm happy.

Health wise things are looking great, I was pre diabetic and had other issues with my blood work a year ago when I started this diet. I am happy to say all of those issues have cleared up. I average 30-40 miles a week on my bicycle and just this last Thursday I did 21 miles in one day (the most I normally do in a day is 8). My wife has lost 130 pounds in the same amount of time and my son, who wanted to join the army, managed to lose the 60 pounds he needed to sign up. He just graduated basic training at Ft Benning and is now off to his tech school at Ft Lee.

That's awesome! As someone who is diabetic, it's not something you want to wish on someone. I need to exercise more, but riding isn't always something I can do as much as I'd like.

Gerry, if you wind up in Portland I am sure we could squeeze you in to the game, currently I have four players and my max is 6. I will warn you that some of the players are still having difficulty with the concept that my game is not an arms race to see who can develop the most offensive abilities.

I don't think you'll have that problem with me. I only recently improved my character in John's game, as for quite some time, I was barely even attacked by villains. They had bigger fish to fry in Dark Warrior and Modi, so Glare tended to hang back and just blind people. He's a lot tougher than he was when he started, but that's only because I gained a lot of XP in short order from being a low level character teaming up with guys much higher than me. Honestly, and John can attest to this, I'm one of the lease aggressive characters. I tend to go for blinding attacks first, and only use the light attack when I need to. I tend to let the other characters dish out damage if I can blind them. My current character is more a scientist, so he's more like Reed Richards as Iron Man than Tony Stark as Iron Man.

If all goes well, I will likely fly out there to look at a work site my company has in Portland. If it's a good fit, I'll probably look for a place to live. If I do come out, maybe we could meet up or something. When do you normally have your game?

I think the biggest change I made was allowing the heroes to actually rescue the supermodel at the end of In Broad Daylight instead having her turn on them and become a super-villain, just more satisfying to me that way. [/quote]

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools

>