Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Comic book tropes and superhero campaigns (Read 1539 times)
Ultra Malcolm
Sidekick

I like V&V but I wouldn't
say I love it

Comic book tropes and superhero campaigns
Sep 13th, 2010 at 10:55pm
Print Post  
I was talking the other day with someone about types of storylines that are common in comics, and we got to talking about how some tropes that work well in comics don't necessarily work well in an RPG campaign. Or at the very least are very hard to pull off.

I was wondering if anyone else had any thoughts about storylines and plot threads that make for great comic book reading but that are either difficult to pull off in a campaign--or that aren't a lot of fun.

For me, a lot of personal life and romantic hang-ups in comics are hard in a game. For instance, the romantic triangle between Lois Lane and Clark Kent/Superman is great reading, but would be complicated and even boring to me as a GM or player.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Re: Comic book tropes and superhero campaigns
Reply #1 - Sep 13th, 2010 at 11:00pm
Print Post  
One thing that I haven't been able to get in a game ( as gamemaster) is when the heroes ( players) set up an elaborate ruse to con the villains, ala Batman or Reed Richards.   

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #2 - Sep 14th, 2010 at 11:06pm
Print Post  
Probably depends on the general life experiences and group you play with. I could easily imagine trying things in a game these days I would have been to "macho" or embarrassed to have tried  in my younger days. As I got older the depth of the story became more important than just knocking bad guys around.

As a GM too often I've had players who wanted to play the "popular" anti-hero (not one of my favorites) or just out smart their fellow players Roll Eyes than humanize their characters Sad

I think too many players and GMs tend to think if it doesnt have a die roll, that a character doesn't have the "ability". For example you could have the skill: Interrogation 13+ or  . . . you could just roleplay and ask the GM some questions Wink

aka Dracos aka DarkStar aka Star Guard

IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #3 - Sep 17th, 2010 at 8:48am
Print Post  
I think of the things that can make it hard is that some elements work better when you are a solo adventurer or a crime fighting duo... although these parts might work best if the GM can convince the players to "split up" a bit....

In the light of what John said, getting the players to "set up" the villains would be a very tricky thing... for one, in order to get the full role playing feel, it would be more desirable to somehow get the player characters to stumble on the idea their own selves (and that is harder to work up and guarantee), and second, many players often fully fall into the "chivalric" aspect of the being a super hero... the flawless champion that relies on power over cunning.... which is neither good or bad, just makes it harder to get the players to be a little tricky their selves for a change.  Wink

"If The Truth Can Be Told, So As To Be Understood, It Will Be Believed."- Terence Mckenna
IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #4 - Sep 17th, 2010 at 11:00am
Print Post  
That's an interesting perspective, because ever since the late 80's I've found the "boyscout" has become increasingly less popular a character. In his place are the "badboy" anti-hero types. One would think these dark and gritty types would be more prone to setting traps and ganging up on the bad guys. Which isn't to say characters playing a Captain America type wouldn't set traps or diversions, after all that's just good tactics and teamwork. I just find it surprising the "dark hero" wouldn't be more prone to make it part of his modus operandi.

Excellent point on solo/duo adventurers versus standard team campaign games. It's difficult (not impossible) to have an arch-nemesis when 4 other heroes are beating on the guy. As  GM I've always tried my best to develop a rogue's gallery for characters who enjoy such a thing, as I do myself as a player. Unfortunately teamwork can really cut into that aspect and a lot of players just don't care to develop that as part of the game. And  to one of Malcolm's points, with all due respect . . . but if I want domestic drama on a Saturday night, I'll stay home with my wife instead of getting together with guys and role-play the same thing (love you honey) Wink

PS: Why would anyone spend multi-millions building a supersuit to rob a bank? Why would anyone perform superpower giving experiments on criminals or mental patients. Why would a convicted felon bother with a mask? Why would anyone wear tights Cheesy
« Last Edit: Sep 17th, 2010 at 11:05am by Ranger »  

IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #5 - Sep 17th, 2010 at 12:53pm
Print Post  
Okay, look, I'm not going to explain why I had the mask and tights on again, nor those smashing boots!  Cheesy

"If The Truth Can Be Told, So As To Be Understood, It Will Be Believed."- Terence Mckenna
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #6 - Sep 17th, 2010 at 5:18pm
Print Post  
Ranger wrote on Sep 17th, 2010 at 11:00am:
Why would a convicted felon bother with a mask?

I agree with your other ones, but for this one it's quite simple: either they don't want to be recognized (if they are notorious enough) or they want to disguise/hide their identity so that it makes it more difficult to identify them later (just like they typical bank robber who disguises their features with panty hose or a motorcycle helmet).    Smiley

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #7 - Sep 17th, 2010 at 5:23pm
Print Post  
Great question, Malcolm!

One thing I have found difficult to implement is a character who is really good at strategy/tactics.  How does this really translate to an RPG?  Does the GM tell the player what the bad guys are going to do?  How to best ambush them?  Too often nobody (even the GM) knows how everything is going to shake out (at least before the battle has begun), so it's tough to convey this information to the player whose character is a tactical genius.

Likewise if a character has a form of Precognition, it's tough for even the GM to know how it will all end (especially a large battle), so it makes it tough to tell the player ahead of time.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #8 - Sep 17th, 2010 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Sep 13th, 2010 at 11:00pm:
One thing that I haven't been able to get in a game ( as gamemaster) is when the heroes ( players) set up an elaborate ruse to con the villains, ala Batman or Reed Richards.   

We'll try to work on that one for you. I may have the perfect Character in mind......

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #9 - Sep 17th, 2010 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
Well I suppose it helps to have someone who has actually either been trained in or studied tactics. Military, SWAT, or History Majors all might make for a player who could play these kind of Characters. I also have found that players who are also good GM's are pretty good at this kind of stuff.

PS: oh the mask thing. It kind of occurred to me a mask wearing villain would be easy to "set up" if he had been caught and exposed. Not so easy with a Hero or Villain who hasn't had his ID made public. It's one of those twisted legal issues that crosses my cluttered mind from time to time. On one hand he could claim "The guy's in a mask that could be anybody" Roll Eyes "Yeah right Destroyer, we're gonna buy that one." Where as if he foregoes the mask he could claim "but I haven't worn a mask in years - it's an obvious set up" Grin
« Last Edit: Sep 17th, 2010 at 8:27pm by Ranger »  

IP Logged

BouncingBoy
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #10 - Sep 21st, 2010 at 9:01am
Print Post  
davew wrote on Sep 17th, 2010 at 12:53pm:
Okay, look, I'm not going to explain why I had the mask and tights on again, nor those smashing boots!  Cheesy

Could you at least explain the dress? J/K

IP Logged

Avenger

I Love Comic's and RP.
V&V got me started

Reply #11 - Sep 21st, 2010 at 9:58am
Print Post  
Okay, look, I'm not going to explain why I had the mask and tights on again, nor those smashing boots! 

Could you at least explain the dress? J/K

Maybe it's a kilt!

If something seems to good to be true, it's best to shoot it,just to be safe
IP Logged

>