Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Mutant Power: Super! (Read 3184 times)
John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Mutant Power: Super!
Dec 20th, 2010 at 4:36pm
Print Post  
  I was trying to come up with a way to stat out Superman or Captain Marvel, or even the Flash.  Seems that DC's heroes are a bit out of  V&V range.   Then I had an idea.   
   What if they only have a  Super enhanced power when they needed it, and the rest of the time  they had normal, statable powers?

So I came up with this.   

Mutant Power:  Super!     This power increases a secondary characteristic to near infinite levels.     So if a chracter picks Super Strength, then their carrying capacity ( not hits, not HTH) increases to Super Levels.  That means, they have enought strength as is required.   
     The airplane is falling out of the sky?   Activate your Super Strength and you can catch it and bring it to safty.
    Need to out race a lighting bolt?  With Super Speed you would be able to with nanoseconds to spare.

Note that you don't increase your stats ( your strength, Intellgence, aglity, endurance or charisma) you increase their secondary characterisics.

You can super your movement rate, ( move at infinte velocity)   your initiative, your carrying, your inventing  chance,  your healing...

I would say that this great power would cost about 25 power and last for one turn, like evastion.   
    Need to armwrestle Hercules... superstrength.
    Need to out draw Mercury....super initiative.
    Need to heal, super healing ( one healing rate per phase)
    Need to fly to the other side of the galaxy  super speed ( as applied to a movement rate, in this case flight)
   Need to invent the Ultimate Nullifier?  Superinventing  ( your percentage to invent would jump to.... infinity!
   Want to wow the world?  Super Reaction!
   Want to hear what they are saying, in Antartica?  Super Detect Hidden! 

This power should be extremly rare, and only given to players with strong role playing skills and a very good concept.
   The player and GM would have to pick what their particular Super  modifier is.  One power means only one thing can be Super, so they pick Super Speed, Super Strength, Super Reflexes...you get the point.

Unless they have the variant.

Mutant Power: Super B.  Same as above but they can change what is super with each use.    Thing of Ultra Boy from the Legion of Super Heroes.
« Last Edit: Dec 20th, 2010 at 5:45pm by John »  

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Re: Mutant Power: Super!
Reply #1 - Dec 20th, 2010 at 5:02pm
Print Post  
Just seems it could be used to do some massive damage to someone. Lets say I'm a run of the mill superhero and have a carrying capacity of 500 pounds. I use Super Speed (or whatever) to throw a 5 pound rock at someone. Would the rock travel at light speed? If so, the damage on that, which is not based on HTH or stats per say, would be greatly increased due to velocity damage.

Easier example would be a hero with invulnerability or something similar, who picks Super movement, and runs into somone at light speed.

You get the point. Just playing devils advocate to see how someone could use this to their advantage.

Also, check your PM.
« Last Edit: Dec 20th, 2010 at 5:04pm by Paul »  

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself -- Steven Segal

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #2 - Dec 20th, 2010 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
That is fine,  move at light speed, but don't expect to hit as you get a negative modifier on your to hit roll based on how fast you are moving and how fast your target is moving.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #3 - Jan 1st, 2011 at 10:48pm
Print Post  
I was thinking about this today and I think this power perfectly explains a lot of DC heroes.

Look at the Flash.  He doesn't battle as "super" speed, but mostly at  regular Heightend Speeds  (V&V wise).
The Flash would burst into super speed to power his cosmic treadmill, or to vibrate through time and space.   He also goes super speed for power stunts, but how often does he really move at light speed?
   Green Lantern would "super" his ring to do really way out stuff, or power stunts.  But I think he does things way to powerful to say were power stunts.   I guess its splitting hairs.

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #4 - Jan 2nd, 2011 at 12:44am
Print Post  
I agree this power level would definitely be more of a DC thing as opposed to Marvel, but should be applied judiciously.

For instance I thnk you could easily do Flash with standard V&V powers. Starting with Flight (only when running on ground or water as a power limitation) throw in Heightened Speed or two, and a couple other powers to boot.

Green Lanterns "might" be explained as a form of a Psionic or Willpower. Boosting the Solid Light Illusions a certain amount based on the PR associated with the boost.

I always thought of Marvel's characters being more well-rounded with heightened stat powers than DC's, and DC's more powered up like somekind of one trick ponies. Obviously there are exceptions on each side but that's always the feel I got.

Paul's example might not be perfect, but he's right about one thing. This kind of guy could dominate a game like Maxima. Which of course makes him a Superman (mutant guy not Paul)

aka Dracos aka DarkStar aka Star Guard

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #5 - Jan 2nd, 2011 at 12:32pm
Print Post  
Quote:
makes him a Superman

Only in the bedroom.

Cool

« Last Edit: Jan 2nd, 2011 at 2:04pm by John »  

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #6 - Jan 2nd, 2011 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
Paul wrote on Jan 2nd, 2011 at 12:32pm:
Quote:
makes him a Superman

Only in the bedroom.

Cool

That is where you use your superspeed!
« Last Edit: Jan 2nd, 2011 at 2:04pm by John »  

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #7 - Jan 2nd, 2011 at 8:05pm
Print Post  
Well at least one of us is supersatisfied!

Grin

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #8 - Mar 25th, 2016 at 7:59am
Print Post  
If you Super-ed your carrying capacity and punched someone, I , after much thought and intense advanced math, have determined that infinite strength translates to 25d10.  Same with super speed.

Someone smarter and more patient than me once calculated that the velocity damage of light speed is 20d10. So five more dice then that is enough to simulate infinity.

IP Logged

Shadow-Dragon15
Sidekick

Reply #9 - Mar 25th, 2016 at 4:19pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Mar 25th, 2016 at 7:59am:
If you Super-ed your carrying capacity and punched someone, I , after much thought and intense advanced math, have determined that infinite strength translates to 25d10.  Same with super speed.

Someone smarter and more patient than me once calculated that the velocity damage of light speed is 20d10. So five more dice then that is enough to simulate infinity.

I just saw this thread and really like the concept to use if running a near-cosmic level N/PC. I do have a question about the above statement, however. In your original post you said that Super Strength would push Carrying Capacity but not HTH (or hits). Wouldn't you need to "Super" something else, say specifically HTH Damage (exclusive of CC) in order to get the 25d10? Or am I not following the examples you gave?

Shadowdragon

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #10 - Mar 26th, 2016 at 10:56am
Print Post  
Yeah, it changed over time.  I would let the HTH and Carrying Capacity get the benefit with Super.

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #11 - Apr 11th, 2016 at 5:41pm
Print Post  
I'd consider something like this as the guys primary power, so I'd probably base the power cost off of that.  If the character is mostly ordinary, but has this, then 25 power is a huge swipe of his power and he's out of doing stuff until he can recover his power.  That seems overly limiting, so I'd probably use the GM adjustification to modify as needed.

IP Logged

>