Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) 52 in Review (Read 10006 times)
John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

52 in Review
Jan 1st, 2012 at 11:42pm
Print Post  
  I finally got around to reading the new DC 52 titles.   I have all of them up to issue four thanks to the tremendous bundle deal at the DCBS.  All 52 issues each month for 79 dollars!  So I have a bunch of comics that I wouldn't have normally picked up if that deal was not offered.

So I reached for my stack, and I am reading them in no particular order.  I will post my thoughts on them up to issue three.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Re: 52 in Review
Reply #1 - Jan 1st, 2012 at 11:48pm
Print Post  
Mr. Terrific:  I liked it.  The art was good, the story run of the mill superhero.  The reboot was pretty soft.  Not much of a change, except he seems to be the original Mr. Terrific of this new universe.   There doesn't seem to be any JSA so far.   Karen Star is his girlfriend, and yes, it seems forced, and she is not Power Girl. 

My only complaint is that the T Spheres are the Deux Ex Machina that solves all his problems.

I would give the first three issues a C+

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #2 - Jan 1st, 2012 at 11:52pm
Print Post  
Men of War: This is an anthology series about soldiers.   I love the art in both stories and the stories were pretty good, especially the back up, which I really liked.

The first story is about soldiers fighting normals with some supers fighting back, and he is the grandson of Sgt. Rock.   That, I am not too sure about how I feel about this.

The second story is a more realistic story about  how fast soldiers have to react to the situation.  Without spoilers, I think it show show fast a bad decision can be made.

I give this series  a B.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #3 - Jan 1st, 2012 at 11:55pm
Print Post  
Legion of Super Heroes:  This is not a reboot at all, its a continuation of the last series,  they even reference the Flashpoint and how it blocks off their access to time travel to modern Earth.   I always loved the Legion so I may give this a higher grade than it deserves.   I give it a B.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #4 - Jan 1st, 2012 at 11:58pm
Print Post  
Grifter:  This is a hard reboot.  This is his first apearence.  I liked it more than I thought, and they are trying to fit it into the DCU proper what with the story leading them to Gotham City.  Its classic Grifter stuff, him vs Daemonities so I guess they brought his back story to the table also.  I would give it a B.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #5 - Jan 2nd, 2012 at 12:00am
Print Post  
Green Arrow:  This comic is the opposite of Grifter.  With Grifter they took a Wildstorm comic and turned it into a DC comic.  With this, they took a DC comic and made it an Image comic.   This one, so far, is the one I liked the least.   I love the Dan Jurgeons, George Perez art, but  the story is pretty so so.  Grade C.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #6 - Jan 2nd, 2012 at 12:03am
Print Post  
Green Lantern:  I am liking this.  Its not a reboot at all.  It continues right from the last Green Lantern series, and so do the other Green Lantern titles.     Which begs the question,  why did they reboot some of the comics and not others?   They will create the same problems that the Crisis did when they did the exact same thing.
    Anyway, Sinestro is the star of this comic, with  Hal Jordan as his reluctant side kick.    Anything else would be spoilers.     I would give this a good B+.
« Last Edit: Jan 2nd, 2012 at 12:04am by John »  

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #7 - Jan 2nd, 2012 at 12:05am
Print Post  
Green Lantern Corps:  Nothing new hear.  It takes place right after the last series so its not a reboot at all.   The thing is, its breaking no new ground, so unless you are a Green Lantern fan, there is nothing to offer.  Same old,  aliens are killing Green Lanterns, and  Jon Stewart and Guy Gardner team up to solve the crimes.   C+.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #8 - Jan 2nd, 2012 at 12:07am
Print Post  
Green Lantern The New Guardians:  The creepy blue guardians are being creepy.   The seven different color rings are being mysterious.   Ho Hum.

C-

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #9 - Jan 2nd, 2012 at 12:11am
Print Post  
Resurrection Man: Abbet and Laning are back on one of the great short lived series of the 90's.   Not a reboot, just a continuation of the last series.  So far its the best of the new comics.

A.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #10 - Jan 2nd, 2012 at 12:15am
Print Post  
Red Lanterns:  Again, not a reboot,  continues from the Green Lantern series pre Flashboot.
     Can't say much without spoilers.  I will just say,  I love Peter Milligan's writing, so I  trust him to make it worth while.  It should be fun and the art is good superhero quality.   I like it but I know its more of a guilty pleasure than anything else.   

C+

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #11 - Jan 2nd, 2012 at 12:18am
Print Post  
Red Hood and the Outlaws:  Jason Todd,  Roy Harper and Koriandar are a super team chock full of sex and violance.   You can't get more 90's Image Comics than this.    It could fit into the old DCU with microscopic changes.   I like it despite what I just said.   I would not collect it if not for the bundle deal.

C

IP Logged

PulpCitizen
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #12 - Jan 2nd, 2012 at 11:31am
Print Post  
John wrote on Jan 1st, 2012 at 11:48pm:
Mr. Terrific:  I liked it.  The art was good, the story run of the mill superhero.  The reboot was pretty soft.  Not much of a change, except he seems to be the original Mr. Terrific of this new universe.   There doesn't seem to be any JSA so far.   Karen Star is his girlfriend, and yes, it seems forced, and she is not Power Girl. 

My only complaint is that the T Spheres are the Deux Ex Machina that solves all his problems.

I would give the first three issues a C+

I have not been a fan of this reboot. I like the writer from other work, but this just hasn't worked me so I dropped it after 4 issues.

IP Logged

PulpCitizen
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #13 - Jan 2nd, 2012 at 11:33am
Print Post  
John wrote on Jan 1st, 2012 at 11:55pm:
Legion of Super Heroes:  This is not a reboot at all, its a continuation of the last series,  they even reference the Flashpoint and how it blocks off their access to time travel to modern Earth.   I always loved the Legion so I may give this a higher grade than it deserves.   I give it a B.

I strongly think and feel that DC should have actually opted for a reboot in this case; the large cast has never been new reader friendly and compound that with starting a new series, while trying to attract new readers, with both a large cast and a feeling of in media res storytelling was a mistake in my opinion.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #14 - Jan 2nd, 2012 at 12:27pm
Print Post  
The Fury of Firestorm  A reboot, but without Dr. Stein.  Its Ronnie and Jason Rusch as Firestorm.   Standard superhero stuff, more like its retreading than anything else.

C.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #15 - Jan 2nd, 2012 at 12:29pm
Print Post  
The Flash: If its a reboot, they concealed it pretty well.  Its the same team from the last Flash series, so the claim of the new DC is being bold and such is a hard pill to swallow when  the same people that made the old DC boring are the same people that are trying to make it bold and new...
     Anyway, I love the art, but the story is lacking.    Seems like it is  reboot as Barry is not  yet married to Iris.

I give the art a B but the story a C so it comes out to an average of C+.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #16 - Jan 2nd, 2012 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
John, what do you think of the reboot over all?

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #17 - Jan 2nd, 2012 at 2:47pm
Print Post  
Over all, I am not too impressed.  More ticked off.  Why are some comics starting over, while others are intact?  That just makes the need for another reboot nessessary.

I am sure I will have a better grasp as I read more of the big comics like Batman, Superman and Justice League.    So far I am reading the C and B teams.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #18 - Jan 2nd, 2012 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Jan 2nd, 2012 at 2:47pm:
Over all, I am not too impressed.  More ticked off.  Why are some comics starting over, while others are intact?  That just makes the need for another reboot nessessary.

I am sure I will have a better grasp as I read more of the big comics like Batman, Superman and Justice League.    So far I am reading the C and B teams.

I'll wait for you to read over the other books before I post my  comments on them, as I don't want to spoil them for you.

YIM  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #19 - Jan 5th, 2012 at 8:24pm
Print Post  
Hawk And Dove:  Awful.  The worst so far.   I never bagged on Rob Leifield's art before, but I just have to say,  he is an amature.  Just terrible.   And the writing, come one.  I realise that all the comic writers lean towards the left politically, but can't one of them write a conservative that isn't a total jack ass?

D.

Edit- Forgot to mention, this is not a reboot at all.  It mentions all the other Dove's and  talks about stuff from Pre Flashpoint and talks about the Crisis on Infinite Earth.   So I am a bit confused.
« Last Edit: Jan 5th, 2012 at 8:26pm by John »  

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #20 - Jan 5th, 2012 at 8:28pm
Print Post  
Wonder Woman:  So far its excellent.  I am loving it.  I love that they are keeping it very close to Mythology.  And with some minor tweaks, it isn't really a reboot.  So far the only difference is that Hyppolyte is back to being a blond.     This could easily be the Pre Flashpoint Wonder Woman.

A.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #21 - Jan 5th, 2012 at 8:32pm
Print Post  
Frankenstein:  I love the character and I love that he is the super agent of a government agency. However I will say that this comic suffers from what I call the Morrison Syndrome.  In that it tries to be too cool, and name drops too much super technology.    I mean, its hard to buy into a world with problems that require superheroes to solve when there are microscopic flying cities that wisk super agents around, and  guys like Mr. Terrific with super dimensional bases and flying magic problem solving balls.
    If they turned SHADE into a more traditonal, less magical technology, the tension would be more, and the comic would be the better for it.

B-

IP Logged

Hawk
Avenger

Reply #22 - Jan 5th, 2012 at 9:47pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Jan 5th, 2012 at 8:24pm:
I realise that all the comic writers lean towards the left politically, but can't one of them write a conservative that isn't a total jack ass?

It doesn't appear so. That is what they think a conservative is like.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #23 - Jan 6th, 2012 at 11:05pm
Print Post  
Catwoman:  I love it.  One of their best.  Its everything I want from Catwoman, sex, violence and stealing. I don't like it when she is the reluctant hero.  She is a villian, she is a cat burglar.  She steals.    The only rebooty thing here is that she doesn't know who Batman is, otherwise its the same Selina.
A.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #24 - Jan 6th, 2012 at 11:07pm
Print Post  
Deadman:  I thought the first three issues could have been told in one issue, but that is the way comics are done these days.  Its kind of gimmicky, in that it sounds like a pitch for a tv show, " Boston Brand is dead, and he must help others or loose his soul.."  By the third issue, it snuck up on me and I started to like it.  It doesn't seem like a reboot, except for the way Rama Kirishna is portrayed.

B

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #25 - Jan 6th, 2012 at 11:09pm
Print Post  
Captain Atom:  I like that they are trying to give him a unique set of powers, and I like that the weakness actually makes a bit of sense given that set of powers.   But I can't help but think its  Dr. Manhattan.  I know he was the inspiration for the Doctor, but still.    I think he is too powerful, but different than Superman, and I think that is what they are going for.   I have to say, its not great, but I am intrigued.

B

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #26 - Jan 6th, 2012 at 11:10pm
Print Post  
Deathstroke:   Doesn't seem to be much of a reboot.   Doesn't seem to be very interesting either.   

C-

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #27 - Jan 6th, 2012 at 11:12pm
Print Post  
Nightwing:  He is not Batman any longer so the last continuity is still in play.  Or is it?  You know what?  I don't care.  This comic is just filler,  sorry, but I only read it because I paid for it.      I am not really interested in the character,  so I have to admit,  the comic didn't hold my interest much either.

C-

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #28 - Jan 6th, 2012 at 11:15pm
Print Post  
Omac:   First off,  Keith Giffen is the worst.   Second,  Keith Giffen is not funny.  Third,  Keith Giffen is the worst.    Having said that,  I still found myself wanting to like this book.   Keep in mind that I didn't say I liked it, just that I wanted to like it.  I like the pseudo Kirby art, and the use of Kirby's characters,  and I liked that Giffen didn't put any of his grating "Bwahaha" humor in this.       It felt like an actual love letter to Kirby's DC stuff, so that helped it alot.   Still, I don't see a second year for this comic. 
   C+

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #29 - Jan 6th, 2012 at 11:43pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Jan 6th, 2012 at 11:15pm:
Omac:   First off,  Keith Giffen is the worst.   Second,  Keith Giffen is not funny.  Third,  Keith Giffen is the worst.    Having said that,  I still found myself wanting to like this book.   Keep in mind that I didn't say I liked it, just that I wanted to like it.  I like the pseudo Kirby art, and the use of Kirby's characters,  and I liked that Giffen didn't put any of his grating "Bwahaha" humor in this.       It felt like an actual love letter to Kirby's DC stuff, so that helped it alot.   Still, I don't see a second year for this comic. 
   C+

Why don't you let us know how you really feel?  Cheesy

YIM  
IP Logged

PulpCitizen
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #30 - Jan 7th, 2012 at 7:08am
Print Post  
John wrote on Jan 6th, 2012 at 11:09pm:
Captain Atom:  I like that they are trying to give him a unique set of powers, and I like that the weakness actually makes a bit of sense given that set of powers.   But I can't help but think its  Dr. Manhattan.  I know he was the inspiration for the Doctor, but still.    I think he is too powerful, but different than Superman, and I think that is what they are going for.   I have to say, its not great, but I am intrigued.

B

I really wanted to enjoy Captain Atom, but it was pretty undefined within itself. After two issues I was thinking: who is this character? What is the direction of this series?

It felt like a mash-up of Captain Atom, Dr. Manhattan as you mention, and Captain Adam (Superman Beyond/Final Crisis), so much so that I think story and character felt like an after thought to a somewhat ill-defined high concept.

I dropped it after 2 issues.
« Last Edit: Jan 7th, 2012 at 1:15pm by PulpCitizen »  

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #31 - Jan 7th, 2012 at 12:48pm
Print Post  
Thats a good way to put it.

IP Logged

PulpCitizen
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #32 - Jan 7th, 2012 at 1:15pm
Print Post  
I believe I have my moments!  Cheesy

On Captain Atom and the scene-setting in most of the few 'New 52' titles I read; as far as I am concerned too few of the books I read had a strong #1.

To me a strong #1 says exactly who the cast is, pitches their personalities, and importantly sets a tone and direction for the series in question. At the price point of comics today, that is the least to expect in my opinion.
« Last Edit: Jan 7th, 2012 at 1:18pm by PulpCitizen »  

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #33 - Jan 7th, 2012 at 1:36pm
Print Post  
PulpCitizen wrote on Jan 7th, 2012 at 1:15pm:
To me a strong #1 says exactly who the cast is, pitches their personalities, and importantly sets a tone and direction for the series in question. At the price point of comics today, that is the least to expect in my opinion.

I also don't expect the "origin story" to be spread out over 6 or 7 issues. 2 or 3 at the max. Decompressed story lines are killing comics.

YIM  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #34 - Jan 7th, 2012 at 1:43pm
Print Post  
I agree with that 100%.   Lee and Kirby told a great story in one issue most of the time.  Hell, Eisner did it in 8 pages!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Topic Tools

>