Normal Topic A Campaign with my Kids (Read 1327 times)
Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

A Campaign with my Kids
Jan 19th, 2012 at 5:59pm
Print Post  
Some of you may have already seen this (as I posted this over on the MHG forums), but a few months ago I started up a new V&V campaign with my kids.  It started out being just my three youngest, but during the last session my oldest son joined us.  I'm hoping eventually to have my oldest daughter join us as well, and even my wife (at least once).

We played through "Crisis at Crusader Citadel", and on Monday we finished up "Death Duel with the Destroyers".  I'll post some summaries for the play sessions as well, eventually.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Re: A Campaign with my Kids
Reply #1 - Jan 19th, 2012 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
There's some other good stuff over at MHG, but here's the summary of our battle on Monday with the Destroyers.

This first one shows more of an overview of early on in the session.  You can see Condor's character sheet (who I was playing, before he got TKO'd) on the left, as well as how I had the entire floor of the Destroyers' base mapped out (that I've kept from when I made it over 20 years ago).

This overview allows you to see the overall layout a little better than some of the close-ups do.  Gunslinger and Artemis are in an elevator just arriving on that floor, while the others have engaged the Destroyers in battle in the hangar.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #2 - Jan 19th, 2012 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
Here's a close-up of the action inside the hangar.  Tank (the one with the hazmat helmet) is battling Behemoth and is also being attacked by (from left) Shapeshifter (disguised as a blue tiger), Ratman, and Iron Maiden.  Electrocutioner is already knocked out, as is Condor for the good guys.  If you look really close you can see Ozai in the thick of things, too (he's invisible).

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #3 - Jan 19th, 2012 at 6:03pm
Print Post  
An even closer shot of the central fight:

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #4 - Jan 19th, 2012 at 6:03pm
Print Post  
At this point Artemis and Gunslinger have made their way around to the entrance into the hangar, while the other Destroyers continue to battle Tank and Ozai.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #5 - Jan 19th, 2012 at 6:04pm
Print Post  
Shapeshifter takes off to deal with the new arrivals, and Ozai engages Ratman.

That gray square (with the grids) you see in the bottom of the picture is the lift (in the hangar) that rises up from the level below it (this is how the reinforcements came for the Destroyers).
« Last Edit: Jan 19th, 2012 at 6:05pm by Majestic »  

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #6 - Jan 19th, 2012 at 6:04pm
Print Post  
One by one the bad guys fall, until only Behemoth remains (and he ended up surrendering).

IP Logged

Captain Obvious
Sidekick

Shaken not stirred!

Reply #7 - Jan 20th, 2012 at 9:44am
Print Post  
Sounds like great fun! Can't wait until my kids get older.

"I do nothing that a man of unlimited funds, superb physical endurance, and maximum scientific knowlege could not do" - Batman

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #8 - Jan 20th, 2012 at 11:58am
Print Post  
Teach'em right/young! Smiley

If it's not fun, we're not doing it right.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #9 - Jan 25th, 2012 at 7:37pm
Print Post  
As many of you know, I type up short summaries that give an idea of the basic plot, whot the villains were, etc., as if our game sessions were made into an actual comic.  Here's the summaries for the first five issues for this (still unnamed) group:

#1 – Crusher Crimewave – New superheroes Leonidus, Artemis (with her pet Tasmanian tiger Actaeon), Ozai, and Condor visit Crusader Citadel in Indianapolis, Indiana as potential new applicants.  The heroes learn that the Crusaders are gone and that their arch-enemies, the Crushers, have been on a crimewave in their absence.  Working with Detective Victor Broyko, they stake out Manning Enterprises and take down Crushers F.I.S.T., Temper, Vulture, and Bull in the parking lot.

#2 – Crisis at Crusader Citadel – Leonidus departs and new vigilante Gunslinger joins the heroes.  Dr. Ernst Patrovich suggests that the Crushers are likely after TEACHER, the Crusaders’ computer system.  Crusaders Manta-Man and Blizzard break free from their own headquarters, where the Crushers held their entire team captive.  They join the others as the group invades the top floor of the Harmon Building, swiftly taking out Shocker.  The team races upstairs to the hangar, but are nearly all taken out by the diminutive Marionette before they are able to defeat her.  The two Crusaders rescue their companions (Evergreen, Enforcer, Dreamweaver, and Laserfire), while Artemis, Ozai, Condor, and Gunslinger take down Mocker, Mace, and Hornet.  The villain Stormlord stays out of the combat and uses the wind to fly away.

#3 – Terror in Times Square! - The entire East Coast is buffeted by an unnatural, powerful storm.  Depression and hysteria grip the populace and near martial law conditions are imposed all over amidst riots, crime, and violence.  C.H.E.S.S. Bishop Stevens transports Ozai, Gunslinger, and Artemis to Queens, New York, where they take down the cybernetic criminal A.C.E. after he robs a small store.  Later, Gunslinger and Artemis assist emergency personnel, but are stymied by disappearing victims and vanishing phantoms of Mace and Mocker.  On the fifth day of the storm, a villain named Doctor Apocalypse ends the tempest and issues a threat to the country, demanding that Manhattan be deeded over to him.  The next day he sends a gigantic Doomsday Robot to rampage in Times Square as an example of his technological might.  The three heroes batter the powerful automaton, eventually making their way inside and defeating the human crew that operates it.  The robot self-destructs, but with police help the vigilantes are able to corral most of the crew.

#4 – Death Duel with the Destroyers – The Doomsday Robot crew reveal that Doctor Apocalypse has an advance force in Manhattan, a team of supervillains known as the Destroyers.  Coordinating with Special Agent Holiday of F.I.S.H. and joined by Condor, the group invades the enemy’s headquarters in the top floors of the Montuori Trade and Industries skyscraper.  They engage the Destroyers: Annihilator, Shapeshifter, Behemoth, Ratman, Iron Maiden, and Electrocutioner, in a vehicle hangar, and their more experienced adversaries soon gain the upper hand.  After everyone else is felled, an invisible Ozai grabs the unconscious bodies of Condor and Actaeon and flies to safety.

#5 – The Rematch – After providing medical care to Condor and Actaeon, Holiday introduces the group to new hero Tank.  Joined by their new ally, the heroes make another assault on the Destroyers’ Headquarters, while in the training room below malfunctions in the suspended animation booths holding Gunslinger and Artemis allows them to escape.  The two vigilantes, now fully healed, race upstairs to join their teammates, who ambush the Destroyers in the hangar.  One by one the villains fall, until finally only Behemoth remains.  The lone Destroyer surrenders unconditionally.

IP Logged

>