Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) A possible fix for Size Change (Larger)... (Read 2937 times)
xhaosdaemon
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

A possible fix for Size Change (Larger)...
Mar 20th, 2012 at 12:26pm
Print Post  
I have come to the conclusion that Size Change (larger) can be pretty whoppingly overpowered, ESPECIALLY if the player also rolls Heightened Strength and/or Agility, Natural Weaponry, and Heightened Expertise. A substantially Heightened Agility can effectively negate the Agility penalty for increased weight and Heightened Strength can put the carrying capacity/base HTH off the charts.

So I have been thinking about this somewhat extensively for a few days (off and on) and here is something I came up with to balance Size Change (Larger):

The height and weight of the person change as noted in the rulebook. They do NOT take an Agility penalty for the increased weight (likewise smaller people do not take a bonus for decreased weight). Hit Points are calculated as for the regular height then multiplied by the Height Factor. Carrying Capacity (and HTH damage) is calculated as follows: Height Factor x Normal CC + ((Height Factor -1) x 1000). The person receives Invulnerability per ATTACK equal to the Height Factor – 1 rounded up (to reflect proportional increases in thickness of skin, muscle, bone, and other tissue).

Here is an example of how it would look:

Base Stats: Str 15, End 15, Int 12, Agi 12, Weight 180, Height 6 ft (HPM 3.8)

Normal Size: CC 439 lbs, HTH 1d6, HP 16

1.5 Size: CC 1159 lbs, HTH 1d10, HP 24, Invulerability per Attack 1, (wt. 612) 9 ft

2x Size: CC 1878 lbs, HTH 1d10, HP 32, Invulnerability per Attack 1, (wt. 1440) 12 ft

3x Size: CC 3316 lbs, HTH 1d12, HP 48, Invulnerability per Attack 2, (wt. 4860) 18 ft

4x Size: CC 4756 lbs, HTH 2d8, HP 64, Invulnerability per Attack 3, (wt. 11520) 24 ft

5x Size: CC 6195 lbs, HTH 2d8, HP 80, Invulnerability per Attack 4, (wt. 22500) 30 ft

6x Size: CC 7684 lbs, HTH 2d10, HP 96, Invulnerability per Attack 5, (wt. 38880) 36 ft

7x Size: CC 9073 lbs, HTH 2d10, HP 112, Invulnerability per Attack 6, (wt. 61740) 42 ft

I felt this was a good compromise to still allow for those with Size Change (Larger) to benefit from it but not to the ludicrous levels of HP from how it is as written. Likewise it counters the penalty to Agility that is the bane of some of the larger/heavier types.

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Re: A possible fix for Size Change (Larger)...
Reply #1 - Mar 20th, 2012 at 5:12pm
Print Post  
When I first read the title of the thread I thought it was a spammer touting some penis enlarging magic pill.

I'm a little disappointed it's not that....

Cry

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself -- Steven Segal

IP Logged

xhaosdaemon
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #2 - Mar 30th, 2012 at 9:36am
Print Post  
Aside from the penis enlarging concerns, anyone else interested in putting forth an opinion/critique on my adjustments to Size Change (Larger)?

One big reason for the change for me was because I thought it was a bit ridiculous for someone to be able to take 3 large nukes simultaneously and still live to tell about it. (One character would have had 1300+ hit points. Each large nuke does 20d20 so a max of 1200 damage. Yes, the character would be unconscious by RAW but still alive. I know there is a lot of suspension of belief in supers but that was just too much)

IP Logged

Bill Kropp
Justice Leaguer

Great. Its That Guy.

Reply #3 - Mar 30th, 2012 at 3:11pm
Print Post  
well, keep in mind your PR will actually DECREASE when you grow (representing Pym and especially Barton's side effects from becoming Goliath) and rolling w damage is a less attractive prospect

IP Logged

Bill Kropp
Justice Leaguer

Great. Its That Guy.

Reply #4 - Mar 30th, 2012 at 3:13pm
Print Post  
another agility mod variation would be not to alter the agility stat, but to make the resulting Agility Mod from new wt a penalty to initiative when grown and a bonus to be hit due to bigness.

IP Logged

xhaosdaemon
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #5 - Mar 30th, 2012 at 6:59pm
Print Post  
Actually with my proposed fix if you notice the Agility does NOT decrease based on the new height and weight so you don't lose power or accuracy. The balance is that your damage does not scale up nearly as nasty as the way it is in the book. Applying that formula to the character that had over 1300 hit points it dropped them down to 225 which is a much more managable number. Scaled up to Size 7 using the RAW that same character would have had over 11,000 hit points and a carrying capacity of over 2 million pounds. Using my variant at Size 7 the character has 525 hit points and a carrying capacity of about 61,000 pounds. Significantly more managable. I will say adding a modifier to be hit based on Size does make some sense (it isn't hard to hit someone as big as a barn) and would balance with the Invulnerability per attack.

Oh, and by the way that character who would have 11,000+ hit points at Size 7? He would still have a 12 Agility (started at 30) so he'd still have a +1 accuracy to go with Heightened Expertise and Natural Weaponry as well as 10d10 damage in HTH.  Shocked

IP Logged

Bill Kropp
Justice Leaguer

Great. Its That Guy.

Reply #6 - Mar 31st, 2012 at 1:55am
Print Post  
true... but at that size, how often is he going to have 1)room to fight at full size without destroying all nearby property and 2) something that can support his mass to stand on?

IP Logged

Bill Kropp
Justice Leaguer

Great. Its That Guy.

Reply #7 - Mar 31st, 2012 at 1:58am
Print Post  
a lot of v&v overpowered power combos (like sc:Large plus HAgilityB) are best dealt with by a GM on a case by case basis before the 1st session begins. i tell players that what they rolled is nice, but comes second to the game as a whole.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #8 - Mar 31st, 2012 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
That's a good general rule of thumb for the GM to have.

IP Logged

Bill Kropp
Justice Leaguer

Great. Its That Guy.

Reply #9 - Mar 31st, 2012 at 5:31pm
Print Post  
definitely. honestly, Ive been shocked during recent organized games (at shops, etc) at how The Golden Rule of RPGs has fallen by the wayside. people arguing loudly, SCREAMING at a gm about rulings... at convention games, even. if i had to suggest why...

IP Logged

Bill Kropp
Justice Leaguer

Great. Its That Guy.

Reply #10 - Mar 31st, 2012 at 5:33pm
Print Post  
id guess a combination of 1) more gamers started through warhammer and even more so ccgs 2) the competitive rather than cooperative spirit of the above and 3) online gaming means if you piss everyone off, you can still game online

IP Logged

xhaosdaemon
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #11 - Mar 31st, 2012 at 5:44pm
Print Post  
Bill Kropp wrote on Mar 31st, 2012 at 1:58am:
a lot of v&v overpowered power combos (like sc:Large plus HAgilityB) are best dealt with by a GM on a case by case basis before the 1st session begins. i tell players that what they rolled is nice, but comes second to the game as a whole.

Well, consider me to have dealt with Size Change (Larger) for this particular case's basis.  Grin

IP Logged

Bill Kropp
Justice Leaguer

Great. Its That Guy.

Reply #12 - Mar 31st, 2012 at 7:48pm
Print Post  
true. now you just have to make sure every adventure you run can handle a 50 foot tall hero whose weight alone can sink a battleship... stats aside, it may be more hassle than u want to wrestle with.

IP Logged

xhaosdaemon
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #13 - Mar 31st, 2012 at 11:26pm
Print Post  
Actually the character in question that got me thinking about this could only go to Height Factor 3. That being said though a 62,000 lb super wouldn't sink a battleship, much heavier jets come off of aircraft carriers. Also although he would probably fall through most building floors he could walk around on hard-packed earth, concrete, or pavement without issues. But yeah, the hero in question could only go to 18 feet in height. Smiley

IP Logged

Bill Kropp
Justice Leaguer

Great. Its That Guy.

Reply #14 - Apr 1st, 2012 at 2:05am
Print Post  
as long as he isnt near a sewer or going anywhere w subways or basements

IP Logged

SuperWannabe
Teen Titan

Reply #15 - Aug 11th, 2012 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
I quite like this new formula and take on Size Change Larger.  I have a player who just rolled it and I'll suggest it to him.

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #16 - Aug 13th, 2012 at 11:14am
Print Post  
I'm in agreement with Bill.  It's a case-by-case basis and the rules even talk about modifying powers and characters through discussion between player and GM.  It's cool that you have a formula that works for your game.  House rules make the world go round!

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #17 - Aug 13th, 2012 at 3:29pm
Print Post  
I like the variant here. I think your short changing the carry capacity a bit, but the hit points thing is a great mod.

If it's not fun, we're not doing it right.

IP Logged

xhaosdaemon
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #18 - Aug 20th, 2012 at 11:26pm
Print Post  
AlabasterKnight wrote on Aug 13th, 2012 at 3:29pm:
I like the variant here. I think your short changing the carry capacity a bit, but the hit points thing is a great mod.

I kind of look at part of the lost carrying capacity as being used to counter the dramatically increased weight of the character. I think it also balances out with the invulnerability per attack not to mention the fact that someone at a higher size can punch someone further away than the adjacent 5 foot area. At 42 feet tall being able to punch someone 15-20 feet away from you is pretty badass nevermind picking up a car and swatting someone with it for that extra damage. Smiley

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #19 - Aug 20th, 2012 at 11:50pm
Print Post  
Yes, but a proportional strong 42 foot tall individual human  could lift (X)? Smiley

IP Logged

SuperWannabe
Teen Titan

Reply #20 - Aug 21st, 2012 at 6:33pm
Print Post  
No 42' tall perfon could lift my X....  she's just tooooo heavy  Grin

IP Logged

xhaosdaemon
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #21 - Aug 21st, 2012 at 8:37pm
Print Post  
AlabasterKnight wrote on Aug 20th, 2012 at 11:50pm:
Yes, but a proportional strong 42 foot tall individual human  could lift (X)? Smiley

Well a person who is 7.5 feet tall doesn't automatically lift 1.5 times more than someone who is 5 feet tall if they have the same strength, but I am curious as to your thoughts on what you would change in my Carrying Capacity rules. I came up with those off-the-cuff to address the issue of giant-sized supers having ridiculous carrying capacities, such as the aforementioned one that would have had a 2 million pound CC using the current rules as written. Smiley

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #22 - Aug 21st, 2012 at 10:03pm
Print Post  
xhaosdaemon wrote on Aug 21st, 2012 at 8:37pm:

Well a person who is 7.5 feet tall doesn't automatically lift 1.5 times more than someone who is 5 feet tall if they have the same strength, but I am curious as to your thoughts on what you would change in my Carrying Capacity rules. I came up with those off-the-cuff to address the issue of giant-sized supers having ridiculous carrying capacities, such as the aforementioned one that would have had a 2 million pound CC using the current rules as written. Smiley

Maybe they do lift 1.5 times as much, maybe not.
I think that the strength/carry boost should still be based on weight, but maybe the problem is inherently there because of the weight increase begin ascension of cubes?
Also, a GM who gives/allows a character Heightened characteristics for Strength or Endurance is asking for trouble if the character already 'grows'; growth is supposed to be what gives the character those advantages.
Let me crunch a little and help figure this out. Smiley

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #23 - Aug 22nd, 2012 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
With more than a few years under my belt training for martial arts boxing and college football, I have to agree with AK that a bigger person of equal fitness is practically guaranteed to lift a proportional amount based on their mass/weight.

How we simulate a super power we've all read in comics for 50 yeas is anothe thing altogether of course. This power is absolutely one of the toughest for a GM to make playable and keep the characters power level balanced with other players in the campaign

IMO
« Last Edit: Aug 22nd, 2012 at 2:29pm by Ranger »  

aka Dracos aka DarkStar aka Star Guard

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #24 - Aug 22nd, 2012 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
I've always balanced by letting it shine at times, and make it so it was not usable at times.  Big battle downtown, ok.  Big battle in the secret base, probably not (unless in a hangar).

IP Logged

PulpCitizen
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #25 - Aug 23rd, 2012 at 4:45am
Print Post  
xhaosdaemon wrote on Aug 21st, 2012 at 8:37pm:

Well a person who is 7.5 feet tall doesn't automatically lift 1.5 times more than someone who is 5 feet tall

Taking the difference for human norms (which could encompass people at 5' and 7.5') is not the same as scaling up a 5' person to 7.5' in V&V terms, which V&V does by linking volume (mass) to area while ignoring the square cube law (which would limit the effectiveness of muscles). But if applying those kind of limits, then don't forget to add all the other square-cube law types of weaknesses.

I think mechanically (as opposed to biomechanically!), that V&V has a nice simple and comic-book-y rules framework for size change, perhaps with some reservations about Agility, but that is for another time and discussion, and that the major problem are in rules interactions rather than the rules themselves.

The rules interactions problem can be applied across many 'sets' of powers that could easily be problematic: for example Heightened Attack + Heightened Expertise (taken on Power Blast) + Power Blast is a very dangerous 3-power combo arguably.
« Last Edit: Aug 23rd, 2012 at 8:31am by PulpCitizen »  

IP Logged

>