Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Saracens and Sorcery (Read 4848 times)
John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Saracens and Sorcery
Jul 13th, 2012 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
Tuesday, 29 May 1453 Constantinople fell to the Ottomans.  The greatest treasure of all time has fallen to the Saracens.   No, not the Empire,  no not the Hagia Sophia, but what it held.
    The hidden secret, guarded by first the Christians, then the Romans, and latter the Byzantines, has been taken by the heathen.

I am talking about the treasure of the Knights Templar, the guarded secret of the Freemasons.   Oh woe, oh curse the day that the Turk has taken the HEAD OF JOHN THE BAPIST!

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Re: Saracens and Sorcery
Reply #1 - Jul 13th, 2012 at 6:03pm
Print Post  
Players in this story are Freemason spy/magicians.   They are Harry Dresden meets James bond on a mission to recover the still talking head of St. John the Bapists.    Hurry, it still whispers secrets in Aramaic, and without care, it is prone to decay.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #2 - Jul 14th, 2012 at 10:27am
Print Post  
OK. I get the other two Posts for Japan and Rome. You have mentioned that before. I guess on those we will roll up characters as we did in the other non powered adventures.

Are you treating these characters as you do other Spellcasters??? Train in all the basics before getting any Spells???

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #3 - Jul 31st, 2012 at 5:04pm
Print Post  
Game over. Diego Montoya is already all powerful and we didn't even start playing yet.

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself -- Steven Segal

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #4 - Aug 3rd, 2012 at 2:25am
Print Post  
Post your characters, with a bit a of backstory, and I will assign you your spells.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #5 - Sep 4th, 2012 at 9:23pm
Print Post  
I guess no one wants spells?

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #6 - Sep 4th, 2012 at 9:51pm
Print Post  
No spells for my character. Did not have enough points.

He is simply "Toad". I like him though.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #7 - Sep 4th, 2012 at 10:13pm
Print Post  
Post backstory for Toad and his character sheet.   

Anyone else,  if you want spells, tell me about your personality and how you want to play him.  I will edit your backstory to fit the campaign.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #8 - Oct 7th, 2012 at 10:25am
Print Post  
Re Created as Brother Bufu

Identity: Brother Bufu                   Level:1 (+1-1)
Side: Free Masons                           Sex: Male
Age: 30                                            Training: Cha
Experience:0                                  Occupation: Monk
Skills:                                              Clearance:0

Abjuration
Alteration
Conjuration
Divination
Enchantment
Evocation
Necromancy
Occult
Mysticism
Religion
Spell Craft
Prestidigitation +2 Casting
Dodge
Tumbling
Focus +2 Will Sv. if interrupted
Staff +2 -2
Aramaic
Latin
German
English
Survival
Teratology
Charm

Weight: 200            Basic Hits: 4            Agility Mod:0
Strength:11                                           Intelligence:17
Endurance:12                                       Agility:13
Charisma:11                                         Will:15
Hit Mods: (1 )x(1.4 )x(1.2 )x(1.2 )x(1.3)=2.6  Hits:10
Healing:1.2                                             Power:68
Inventing: 1.7 Pts. 51%                         Movement:36
Carrying:253                                           HTH:1d6
Damage Mod:+1+1+1=3                                    Accuracy:+1+2=3

Det. Hidden:14%                                      Det. Danger:18%
Height: 5’10”                                              Wealth:0
Knowledge Areas: See above

Backround: Not much is known about Brother Bufu. He was literraly left at the Doorstep of an Austrian Monastary. Yes with a note attached to his cradle "Bufu". The name stuck. He was raised by the Monks and at age 10 began his training. For ten years he was told not to speak, only listen and learn. At 20 he was granted permission to speak. He had questions. So many questions about all the things he heard and was taught. Being a Monk though he must still learn to curb his desires. He was taught so many things. Monkish and not so Monkish. At 30 he is now getting on in years but so much knowledge cannot be passed on in such a short time.

« Last Edit: Oct 7th, 2012 at 11:11am by THE ONI »  

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #9 - Jan 12th, 2013 at 4:19pm
Print Post  
Here are the spells that you have in your spelbooks.

Veil of Fear: Enchantment VS
Attacks as Emotion Control/Fear, the spell caster generates an aura that will cause those coming into contact with it, to recoil in fear. C range , PR=5+5 per turn.

Confusion
(Enchantment) VS Target attacked as emotion control. If hit, the target looses next action.  Pr=3+1 per target

Cure Poison  SM

Pr=50. (Necromancy/enchantment) This spell removes all poisons from a target. Caster needs honey to cast this spell. Target must eat the honey.

Cure Dieasse (Necromancy, Alteration, Enchantment)  Cures all contagions in a patient. Save Ld20     Caster needs expensive incense, and old bread.

Command: (Enchantment)  V  Attacks as Mind Control. The spellcaster may issue a specific verbal command such as “Run away”, attack your friend, etc. The victim must save vs. INT, or will be forced to comply with the spellcaster’s wishes. C foot range  PR=12.

Detect Magic ( Divinination) VS
Pr=5  Caster can instantly see magic auras. Detect Hidden x3. If the roll is under caster’s intelligence, the circle of magic can also be gleaned.

Demon's Breath: (Evocation) SM
The caster can breathe fire with a range of 37" (S+E), does 2d12 Damage, PR 4 per attack. Requires a chili pepper to be put in castor's mouth.

Dispel Magic:  VS ( Abjuration)
Pr=5+1 per extra % point of success.  This spell negates magic that is targeted.  A magic Item can not be dispelled, just go dormant for as many days as level of the caster.  The chance of success is the level of the caster pluse the extra power  MINUS the level of the orginal magic's level.

Fires of Hell  VSM
(enchantment/necromancy) Attacks as paralysis. Pr=4. 1d12 off power, and then target must save vs. Ed20 or be forced to tell the truth to a question. Caster needs some blood scrapped off a torture device and sulfur.  Range is W in feet.

Fireball  (Evocation) VSM
Attacks as Flame Control doing 1d12 damage. Range is equal to Intelligence + Endurance. PR=3 per an attack. Caster needs a small bead of sulfur or saltpeter.

Frenzy  ( Alteration, Enchantment)
For the next two rounds, for the caster's initiative roll an additional 3D10.  Also his intellegence is halved and the amount he lost is his new temporary Invulerablity.  He can not roll with attacks, nor hold back and all who are attacked by him who would get a cool roll suffer the same minus as the caster lost in Intellegence. Pr=7 Caster needs the teeth or claws of a fearsome predator.  Can be cast on some one else, but if they resist, the caster must touch them AND make a mind control attack.

Find Familiar  VSM
Pr=25+ (Conjuration, divination, evocation) This spell summons a small animal, commonly a bird or cat. This creature can communicate with its summoner, either via language or telepathy. The mage can use his familiar to act as his agent in other worlds, planes or simply other locations. The familiar will gather information and or act as the mage’s representative as needed. A mage with a familiar will gain +10% more experience as the familiar roams about gathering data. A mage can override his familiar’s mind and take him over. They can use all or none of the animal’s senses.
A Mage can use his training to train his familiar. All familiars are considered “metas” for purposes of buying powers, even if the mage is not!
A mage can have one familiar per 5 levels.
To cast Find Familiar, the mage spends 25 power points and 25,000exp. Also the ceremony costs about $20,000. The caster then rolls Id20. If he makes it, he finds a familiar. For each extra $1000 spent, the mage gets a modifier of one to the die roll. On a natural roll of 1, a special familiar is found. Special familiars can be almost anything! If the familiar is killed, the caster takes 25 damage that can not be rolled with.

Heal ( necromancy)
This spell maximizes the target's healing rate (healing rate x3). This spell costs 3 PR to cast and takes five minutes to complete. The recipient must be touched by the caster or the spell cannot take effect, and must be reapplied each day to have effect for that day.

Identity Artifact ( Divination)  VSM
Pr=5+5 per hour. This spell is what a Mage uses to find out what a magic artifact does. There is a 10% cumulative chance per hour to divine what the item does. The caster needs a silver mirror, and a small glass lens.

Light (Evocation)
Pr=1+1 per hour This spell creates a ball of light that will illuminate a 50’radius. It also causes invisible beings to cast shadows. A dead glow bug is needed to cast.

Levitate ( Enchantment)  VSM
This spell causes things to float at the casters will at a rate of W in inches per turn.   The caster must see the thing to make it move.   PR=3+1 per basic hit of the object*.  Caster needs a feather to cast this spell.
*Caster must estimate the weight of the thing he wishes to levitate.

Mirror Image (Enchantment) VS
This spell creates a mirror image of the spellcaster. Treat as Illusions Range = Wx2, PR=2+2 per each additional  image created.

Read Magic  (Divination)
Pr=5 per turn  Caster can read any Magically obscured language. A perfectly ground lens must be used, and is consumed by the spell. Success is L+ID100.  Can be cast more than once on a particular item if failed the roll.

Omerta ( Enchantment) VM
Prevents use of Sonics, Spells, Command words, etc. in a sphere of up to W inch radius by creating a zone of silence.  Pr=5+1 per turn.  Caster needs a cork.

Sparks (Evocation) vsm
Pr=1 + 1 per target. Does 1d4 flame damage in a 50 radius. Doesn’t need to hit all targets for spell to work.  There needs to be a source of fire or electricity for this to work.

Sleep VSM
Pr=15. (enchantment) Target is attacked by paralysis. It attacks all within 50’ radius except those named by the caster. Each turn the targets save Ed20 per turn. Caster must sprinkle sand in the area.

Soul Burn

Pr=15 (Necromancy) as devitalization. Does 2d10 off the power score of the target and they also must make a cool check.
Must make eye contact with target. C feet range.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #10 - Jan 12th, 2013 at 4:38pm
Print Post  
Postcognition:  Divination.  Pr=5  Dectection x4 to see into the immediate past of an area.   Range is Cxlevel in feet. VSM  Needs a small lens.

Magic Circle: (Abduration) S,M  A magic circle is a useful spell for defining the boundries of magic.   This is useful in two ways; either keeping magic OUT of the circle, or keeping magic CONTAINED in the circle.
  The magician draws the circle.   For each foot radius of the circle, it cost 1 power.  It will automatically work against ambient, unfocused magic.  If the circle is challanged, then the wizard must roll I+Ld20.  The challanger rolls the same.   Whomever has the higher success roll, is the winner.  If the caster of the circle wins, the circle contains the magic, if the challanger wins, the circle is broken.

Eavesdrop:  (Enchantment) SM Pr=3/turn.  Increases the caster's sense of hearing by a factor of three.  So their detection score triples.   Lasts as long as the caster spends the power.

Fulmination:  (Evocation) VSM Pr=4  Caster summons a lighting bolt to attack their target.  2d8 damage as lighting control.  Caster needs a bit of amber.

Tracking ( Conjuration, Enchantment, Divination) VSM   The caster needs something of the target to make this spell work.  Something like blood, hair, fingernails, etc...    Pr= 10.  Make a detect hidden roll if nothing but a name is known.   If some blood or such is used, make a detect obvious.   It will last one minute per level of the caster.

Unlock: (enchantment) VSM Pr=3.  Unlocks one lock.  I+leveld20 for it to work.  If the lock is magically locked then the caster rolls I+leveld20 vs the I+level of the locking wizard.  Whomever has the higher succes score wins the contest.

Create Fire: (evocation) Pr=2 VS  Creates a small fire, equal to a match.

Veil Magic: ( Enchantment)  Pr=3 per hour.  Caster rolls Id20 and compares against any challenged roll.  This spell hides auras of the magic, so that it can't be found via Detect Magic or such.   It doesn't make your fireball invisible, it just hides the magical "residue" of such magic.   VSM  Requires a black silk hanky that is not consumed.

Wizard's Word: (enchantment) Pr 15 per person involved.  This spell creates a bond between two people.   This makes the oath sword between them sancrosanct.   That means that they can not break their word to each other.   There is no condition, they simply can not break their word.

Blood Oath: (Enchantment) VSM Pr=25 per person involved.  An oath is sworn and a condition is made.  If the oath is broken, then that condition falls upon the oathbreaker.
   "If I don't get you tickets to see Pearl Jam, then I will just drop dead."   This spell is also sworn over a spell book, that will also be destroyed if the spell is broken.

Commune: Pr=3 turn (Divination)  This spell permits telepathic comunication with a willing target.

Shield: (Aburation)  VSM   This spell creates  a magical shield that gives the caster a - to be hit.   Pr=5+2 per minus to be hit+ 1 per level.   Caster needs a small metal square.

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Graak kill Blue Skins! />

Reply #11 - Jan 12th, 2013 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
I need to finish my character for that game, as well as The Ravenswood, and for Oni's supers game too.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #12 - Jan 12th, 2013 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
Awesome Spells John. Too bad Brother Bufu reduced his wealth to zero to beef up other things. He won't be able to buy any spell components. Maybe he can beg, borrow or steal them. He's a Monk, not a Saint after all.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #13 - Jan 12th, 2013 at 6:48pm
Print Post  
Three had to be on that list; Detect Magic,  Read Magic, and what mage would be caught dead without Fireball?

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #14 - Jan 12th, 2013 at 7:25pm
Print Post  
  Hey, I always liked Mystic Bolt but that was a long time ago in another Universe.......

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #15 - Jan 12th, 2013 at 7:32pm
Print Post  
It nearly made the list, but then I thought all you guys would do would be to basically powerblast all the bad guys.  And then you would just be superheroes.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #16 - Sep 22nd, 2013 at 11:50am
Print Post  
John,

Bringing this up since you asked about the spells. I never made a post for Bufo and left Him here so we have all the Spells from our Book.

Also noted there are new spells here which is a help

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #17 - Apr 8th, 2017 at 11:59am
Print Post  
Bumpification

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #18 - Apr 22nd, 2017 at 6:01pm
Print Post  
Yoshi, Dan, Donna, feel free to make up characters.

IP Logged

>