Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Catch a falling plane??? (Read 7878 times)
SuperWannabe
Teen Titan

Catch a falling plane???
Aug 2nd, 2012 at 4:32am
Print Post  
How would this work?

Scenario:  There is a falling plane weighing 2200 lbs (Dawn of DNA).  It's still in the air several miles up (or meters perhaps).  Either way it's beyond the range of the character who wants to catch it using his Magnetic Powers.  This character can't fly so he's being carried aloft by another who can fly but who has a CC enough to carry this character but leave 100lbs left of his CC.

When they get within range the Magnetic character uses his magnetic powers to grab the plane and the begin to halt it's fall and lower it to the ground.

Will the supporting character who is flying have to have enough CC to support the plane as well?

Opinions?

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Re: Catch a falling plane???
Reply #1 - Aug 2nd, 2012 at 9:03am
Print Post  
I was thinking about almost this exact scenario the other day!?

The character in my scenario had flight/super strength/Magnetic Powers.  His super strength wasn't enough by itself, and neither was the Magnetic Powers.  But together they could work.

Also consider that the plane is only designed to withstand support from the wheels.  This means if the player attempts to catch it like Superman usually does it might damage the plane.

My conclusion was that the Magnetic Powers could support the front wheels while the player supports the back wheel.  Otherwise it could take up to three players/characters to pull this off.

As a side note, I've asked about carrying capacity vs flight before and I think the general answer was: percentage of carrying capacity was the percentage of movement rate lost of flight.

IP Logged

Avenger

I Love Comic's and RP.
V&V got me started

Reply #2 - Aug 2nd, 2012 at 10:31am
Print Post  
In Superman's defense, they used to state that one of his less know powers was a form of "tactile telekinesis"  So that when he applied his strength to lift large objects, his strength "spread out" over the object.

If something seems to good to be true, it's best to shoot it,just to be safe
IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #3 - Aug 2nd, 2012 at 11:41am
Print Post  
In Secret Wars 1 (issue #2) Magneto captured the Wasp by encasing her in scrap metal.  I'm not sure how much this weighed, but I assume it was greater than his normal carrying capacity.

It affected his movement rate (but this might be due to him splitting his magnetic powers between movement and carrying the metal).

Magneto.JPG ( 61 KB | 1 Download )
Magneto.JPG

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #4 - Aug 2nd, 2012 at 11:54am
Print Post  
Without over analysis this to death I would say simply YES this should work.  Magnetics has it's own carrying capacity and does it's own damage. It is not interlinked with the player's normal cc in any way, therefore the way to think about it is the plane becomes weightless in the magnetic field, as long as the cc of magnetics can support the plane.

Also, that seems like a really light plane!  My tiny car weighs 2500lbs, how can a plane weigh less?

With regards to the other comment about just controlling the front wheels....I believe as long as the range of the magnetics is big enough to engulf the entire plane, there should be enough metal in the plan to control it safely to the ground without further damage.

In your scenario, all should work well but I can see him making the flying character make an agility roll once the plane is supported within the other character's magnetic field.

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself -- Steven Segal

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #5 - Aug 2nd, 2012 at 12:36pm
Print Post  
What would happen if the flying character failed the Agility roll?

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #6 - Aug 2nd, 2012 at 1:02pm
Print Post  
Up to the GM, but Im sure some percentile chance he drops the character for a second and has to use an action to take hold again or something.

I am not nor have ever been a GM so really can't answer.

But if the agility roll fails with a 20 roll, then according to John like everyone just dies!   Cool  (he's going to hate me for that comment)

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #7 - Aug 2nd, 2012 at 1:29pm
Print Post  
Thanks, Paul.  Your idea will also mesh with the example I used above with Magneto because it can be assumed that his magnetic powers were split between flying and carrying the scrap metal.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #8 - Aug 2nd, 2012 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
I'm pretty liberal in allowing superpowers to do just about anything, and for us I'd have the character do a "Spectacular Maneuver" (which covers using one's powers for something other than what is defined in the rulebook).

But just ruling off the top of my head for this case, I don't know that I'd allow the character to do this.  Certainly I agree that he can grab the plane (with his Magnetic Capacity), but I'd view it no different than if he were grabbing the plane himself (with his own Strength).  I try to view all of the powers with 'X Capacity' in this way.  In other words, I'd view it like this:

Johnny Storm is flying Ben Grimm through the air (his arms and hands aren't flamed on).  They fly up to the plane, and Ben has the CC to be able to catch it.  However, the Thing isn't the one doing the flying in this case.  Since the Human Torch doesn't have the CC to carry the plane, they would both start falling to the ground (as if Johnny were trying to carry both the Thing and the plane).

That's how I'd do it, anyway...

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #9 - Aug 2nd, 2012 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
That is different compared to my example. The specifics around magnetics is that it has it's own cc and doesnt combine with the players cc.  Your example has Ben holding the plane with his own cc (not magnetics) so I would agree with your assessment.

To take it a step further, let's assume the plane's weight was 5000 pounds and the characters cc on magnetics was 4000 pounds.  In order to full stop the plane, the characters HTH would have to make up for the 1000 pounds, but he would only be "lifting" 1000 pounds and not the full 5000.

Honestly this is one thing I do enjoy about the game, the creativity around how to use the powers and how GM's can decide how it works.  Honestly even though I feel confident about my answer, if Majestic was my GM and decided against it I would accept that.

« Last Edit: Aug 2nd, 2012 at 2:43pm by Paul »  

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #10 - Aug 2nd, 2012 at 3:02pm
Print Post  
Yeah, I allow people "combining" their powers to gain the most lift (like with TK and HTH), as that makes sense to me.

The reason I view this differently is because I view those other "Capacities" very similarly to how I view the amount one can lift with HTH (similar to their CC, then).  The only thing different (in my mind) is the mechanism used to lift/hold something.

So in this case, I would view it that the Magnetics character could lift it no problem (and hold it in the air).  The problem is that the person holding the Magnetics person (just like Johnny Storm holding the Thing in the example I posted) can't hold/lift that same weight, so thus I'd have them go plummeting to the Earth.

But like you said, I can appreciate the creativity and different viewpoints, too, and I wouldn't be upset if a GM ruled it differently when I was a player.  It's hard to get down to the nitty-gritty sometimes with superhero physics.  Smiley

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #11 - Aug 2nd, 2012 at 3:04pm
Print Post  
Well if a little girl can lift 20 tons with magnetics, but only 100lbs with her Carrying, no one would have a problem with her magnetically lifting a plane, right?   Superpowers defy the real world.  So a guy carrying Magno Boy's carrying capacity is only supporting Magno Boy.   Then Magno Boy's magnetic feild is supporting the plane.        The plane is magetically levitating, no matter what Magno Boy is standing on, right?  If Magno Boy was on the roof of a shack, no one would question how the plane was supported, would they?   Now when the plane lands, and the magnetic feild is remove, then we worry about the supports.

Also,  I have a mutant power called Intrinsic Feild.  This is the power that spreads your powers over what ever you many touch up to your carrying capacity.  So if you can lift 20 tons and lift a car by the fender, then your strength is spread evenly through out the car and it is supported without damage.   Without this power, then you would just rip the fender off the car.
   Also, this car would  spread your flame defence over what ever you are touching for free up to your carrying capacity as the intrinsic field makes everything essentially part of you for purposes of your power.
   So If you had this power,  I wouldn't penalise you for carrying very heavy things when flying, as they are intrinsicly part of you.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #12 - Aug 2nd, 2012 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
I'm with John except I'd award Ben Grimm the intrinsic field stunt from the get go. I like some good science in my comics like anyone but I'm not going to let it interfere with simulating basic long standing comic book stunts.

aka Dracos aka DarkStar aka Star Guard

IP Logged

SuperWannabe
Teen Titan

Reply #13 - Aug 2nd, 2012 at 6:14pm
Print Post  
Excellent comments Smiley

I'll go with Paul's version.  The Magnetic CC being the main thing.  As long as the person flying can support the weight of the person he's carrying then all should be fine.  I do think I'll up the weight of the plane though as I agree, it's weigh (heheheh) too light.  Considering that it's also carrying a few people I think they might have made a typo with the weight of it in the module.

The intrinsic field power sounds interesting as well.  I bought a book called "The Science of Super Heroes".  It's a cool real and takes a few well know Superheroes and points out what is possible, what is impossible and what could work with some tweaking.  Really enjoyable Smiley

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #14 - Aug 2nd, 2012 at 6:51pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

SuperWannabe
Teen Titan

Reply #15 - Aug 3rd, 2012 at 4:42am
Print Post  
Now that's a light plane  Grin

Another thing I thought of....

Am I right in the way I'm reading the combat table for V&V.

If Adaptation is used as a defence the is 0 chance of some attacks working against it or is that 0 plus whatever attack bonus a character has?

EG.  Player 1 using adaptation for a defence.  Player 2 attacks with Sonic abilities.  0 chance to hit but since player has +2 to attack due to agility they need a 2 or less?
« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2012 at 4:45am by SuperWannabe »  

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #16 - Aug 3rd, 2012 at 10:37am
Print Post  
There are two approaches to this, depending on your preference.  Both approaches are used, depending on who is the GM.

0 = immunity
This means that a Noncorporeal character can never be hit by a HTH attack.  Ever.  I think John does this, right?

0 + bonuses
This is the way the rules were intended.  I forget exactly where in the rulebook it specifies this, though (Majestic?)

Both approaches have advantages/disadvantages, but the "0 = immunity" is a higher level of difficulty.

Critical Fumble had a couple of threads about this:
http://www.criticalfumble.net/forum/showthread.php?t=35996

And the original (longer):
http://www.criticalfumble.net/forum/showthread.php?t=38537
« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2012 at 10:38am by Display Name »  

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #17 - Aug 3rd, 2012 at 2:16pm
Print Post  
I've never understood the confusion with this

It clearly states in 3.2 of the Basic Combat rules that the numbers given on the chart are "The initial base chance to hit . . . "

After the 'initial' base chance to hit is determined, then all other modifiers apply as normal. Zero in this instance is just a starting point like any other number given on the chart. Any other thought process is a House Rule or wishful thinking.  :)
« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2012 at 3:40pm by Ranger »  

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #18 - Aug 3rd, 2012 at 2:57pm
Print Post  
No confusion at all, Ranger.  Everyone who uses "0 = immunity" is house ruling.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #19 - Aug 3rd, 2012 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
I use the 0 means immunity thing, with a few exceptions.   Willpower towards HTH being the first one I can think of.    It makes things more difficult I know.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #20 - Aug 3rd, 2012 at 3:40pm
Print Post  
Display Name wrote on Aug 3rd, 2012 at 2:57pm:
No confusion at all, Ranger.  Everyone who uses "0 = immunity" is house ruling.

My bad I read your question wrong Smiley

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #21 - Aug 3rd, 2012 at 3:59pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Aug 2nd, 2012 at 3:02pm:
Yeah, I allow people "combining" their powers to gain the most lift (like with TK and HTH), as that makes sense to me.

If I'm not mistaken, part of Gladiator's (Shi'Ar) strength is explained in at least one place as being partially psionic and not his actual strength at all...

The I.F. (Intrinsic Field) house rule is handy, and could be very cool for shrinking powered characters with super strength who need it for obvious reasons, but it could also negate role play in that if I have the CC in any respect and support the plane from the underbelly of the fuselage then I really don't need the I.F. power.
And if I grab the plane by the wing, it might be problematic ...
And if I grab the landing gear ... fuhgettaboutit.
I should have to think it through. If I'm to pick up the VW, why would I think the bumper can support the weight of the car? I think I'd deserve for John to look at me, rolled some dice and tell me that the bumper rips off...so I grab the chassis.

If it's not fun, we're not doing it right.

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #22 - Aug 3rd, 2012 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
Just for the record, after I magnetically control the plane and everyone safely departs, I will be throwing it at a bad guy anyway thus destroying it.  So at the end of the day, the plane doesn't survive anyways.

Cool

Next case I can solve?
« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2012 at 4:26pm by Paul »  

IP Logged

SuperWannabe
Teen Titan

Reply #23 - Aug 3rd, 2012 at 6:48pm
Print Post  
Paul wrote on Aug 3rd, 2012 at 4:26pm:
Just for the record, after I magnetically control the plane and everyone safely departs, I will be throwing it at a bad guy anyway thus destroying it.  So at the end of the day, the plane doesn't survive anyways.

Cool

Next case I can solve?

The case of the "who started to take a bite out of my apple at work and put it back in my lunch box with teeth marks on it" LOL

Now that's evil villainy Smiley

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #24 - Aug 3rd, 2012 at 8:41pm
Print Post  
After reading John's explanation above, I revise my answer (and how I view this going forward), as that makes sense.  If somebody has the Capacity to contain/hold something, then they're just able to do that.

I do agree that - when picking something up - regardless of the method (HTH, Magnetics, whatever), it makes sense to do so carefully (as that bumper could just rip off).  The intrinsic field idea is cool, but I can't see applying that to every character.

AK, that does sound familiar for Gladiator, and - as was stated - the same thing has been said about Superman (who Gladiator is of course patterned after).

As for the 0 defense thing, probably the part of the rulebook that makes that clearest is the entry for Force Field.  And yes, SuperWannabe, that character would have a 2 or less to hit, modified (as always), by things like Level, range (which hardly ever matters), and facing.  Some characters have other powers or factors (Heightened Expertise, training, etc.) that might add to their total as well.

IP Logged

SuperWannabe
Teen Titan

Reply #25 - Aug 4th, 2012 at 6:20am
Print Post  
Thanks Smiley 

Making sure I've got everything right in my head before we start playing.  Been 20 years since I've GM'd and played V&V so bit of catching up to do.

IP Logged

Isungr
Apprentice

Defender of Paragon

Reply #26 - Aug 5th, 2012 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
Slightly off topic, this is at the top of my "best supers scenes evah!" list.

The other two in the top 3 (all jockeying for the top spot) are the Nite Owl/Silk Spectre alley fight in Watchmen and is the final fight with Batman versus the SWAT team and the Joker in Dark Knight.

EDIT: Oh, and I have to mention, #4 is Hancock using the police car as a shield when he rescues the wounded police officer during the bank robbery.
« Last Edit: Aug 5th, 2012 at 6:36pm by Isungr »  

"It's not about where you were born. Or what powers you have. Or what you wear on your chest. It's about what you do....It's about saving others."
Isungr to other Paragon heroes during the Cataclysm
WWWGTalkFacebookYIM  
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #27 - Aug 6th, 2012 at 2:35pm
Print Post  
Those are some good ones, but here's some of my favorites (now we're getting really O/T).  Grin

1) Nightcrawler taking out the Secret Service agents at the start of X2.

2) Black Widow showing off her martial arts prowess in Iron Man 2.

3) Spider-Man barely holding back the subway in Spider-Man 2.

Wow, all of those are from the second movies in the respective series!

I got chills during The Dark Knight Rises last night, and I could throw out a whole lot of scenes from Avengers that are right up there as well!

IP Logged

SuperWannabe
Teen Titan

Reply #28 - Aug 6th, 2012 at 6:21pm
Print Post  
Anything from Mystery Men for me Smiley

Mr. Furious vs Cassanova Frankenstein Smiley

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #29 - Aug 7th, 2012 at 2:15pm
Print Post  
Don't know if you ever heard, Super, but I ran a Mystery Men event at one of our local cons.  I statted out all of the characters for V&V (even rarely mentioned ones like Armagezzmo).  Smiley

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #30 - Aug 7th, 2012 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Aug 7th, 2012 at 2:15pm:
Don't know if you ever heard, Super, but I ran a Mystery Men event at one of our local cons.  I statted out all of the characters for V&V (even rarely mentioned ones like Armagezzmo).  Smiley

When did you say you were posting them?

IP Logged

SuperWannabe
Teen Titan

Reply #31 - Aug 7th, 2012 at 6:17pm
Print Post  
Display Name wrote on Aug 7th, 2012 at 5:35pm:
Majestic wrote on Aug 7th, 2012 at 2:15pm:

When did you say you were posting them?

Good idea Smiley

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #32 - Aug 8th, 2012 at 5:41am
Print Post  
Yet another project to add to the stack.  I looked, but I've never scanned them before (which is too bad, because the current program I've been scanning with doesn't have very good results).  Anybody know of any quality (and cheap, or free) scanning software?

IP Logged

Hammer
Justice Leaguer

Stranger in a Stranger
Land

Reply #33 - Aug 11th, 2012 at 3:45pm
Print Post  
I'd love to see the Mystery Men statted out...

I loved that movie, was hoping for a sequel that I guess will never happen. Sad

IP Logged

Isungr
Apprentice

Defender of Paragon

Reply #34 - Aug 19th, 2012 at 12:47am
Print Post  
Yes, but there will be a sequel to Kick Ass, at least.

"It's not about where you were born. Or what powers you have. Or what you wear on your chest. It's about what you do....It's about saving others."
Isungr to other Paragon heroes during the Cataclysm
WWWGTalkFacebookYIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools

>