Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) A Bored Veteran OR Combat Maneuvers (Read 4301 times)
Nemo_the_Clown
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

A Bored Veteran OR Combat Maneuvers
Sep 21st, 2012 at 6:21pm
Print Post  
Hello all,

I am an 11 year V&V Veteran, and I play in Majestic's campaign as well as hosting my own.

I absolutely love V&V. As a storyteller, the sky is the limit, and it's wonderful how you can mix and match a story with literally anything.

As a descriptive person, one can only throw so much detail into a scene. "His axe bears down on your left shoulder, slashing it open for 19 points of damage!" and then, "You counter with a solid kick under his right armpit. He goes flying back 20", crashing into a potted plant. You're pretty sure you heard a rib or two crack."

Eventually, it's "okay, Zapzoid's turn. What do you do?"
*Anticipation*
"I hit him with lightning!"

Big surprise.

So. Although I have learned/taken many ideas from Majestic (who has played MUCH longer than I have), I still have my own quarrels with the mechanics. You need to balance the rules with the confusion and complexity to the newer players, with the boredom and expertise of the veterans.

So, here is my take on Combat Maneuvers. Constructive Criticism and praise are welcome.
(I should note my players use COURAGE, a secondary stat used purely for initiative. It is taken by averaging Agility and Charisma).

Evasion: (As per Majestic's rules. 1/5th your agility is subtracted from your chance to be hit. -1 per 20 power lost to reflect fatigue).

Also, my head shots will from now on be 2X chance to knockout, instead of 4X as I believe that is ridiculous.

I've finally gotten it down to 16 moves. Mind you, a character using Flame power cannot use "Bullrush" with it. Use your head when allowing players to use certain powers with certain maneuvers.

1) Bearhug: Attacks just as a normal grab, however half damage is inflicted with the grab. -2 To hit, still a special attack. Target is considered grabbed.

2) Bullrush: Attacks as a tackle, but instead of taking a target to the ground, the intent is to knock him out of the way. Knockback is calculated using the formula DMG - Basic Hits instead of Hit point Damage - Basic Hits.

3) Cheapshot: Generally used outside of combat to START a combat. Kidney shots, poking in the eyes, kicking in the groin, sucker punch, etc. -4 to hit. For every 1 damage done, there is a 5% chance that the defender is stunned and loses his next action.

4) Coup De Grace (This one will probably get the most negative feedback. I understand how lethal it is. However, I believe it will add an element of fear and realism to the game. The fact that aunt may can survive a nuclear blast at point blank range is silly).
Can only be used on a defenseless opponent (handcuffed on knees, unconscious, etc); Attack as normal with a -10 to hit (stationary targets are struck with anything except a 20). Damage x5% chance to instantly kill the target. Damage x10% for lethal weaponry (guns, knives, etc).

5) Blind: Special attack. Throwing dirt, sand, or another attack to the target's eyes. Special attack. For 1D4 rounds, the target is -4 on all his attacks, perception rolls, and -15% to detects.

6) Disarm: Special Attack. There is a 5% chance per point of damage inflicted to disarm the target.

7) Taunt: Having trouble with this one. Base it off of Charisma? Emotion Control? Help!

8) Flurry: up to 4 attacks made at half damage (round down). 5 PR for this maneuver, and if you miss one, you miss them all.

9) Haymaker (Once per session only): -5 to hit. 5 PR. 2X damage.

10) Headbutt: Attacker takes half damage. Knockout is increased to 3x.

11) Sweep: Special Attack. 5x% chance per point of hit point damage given to knock the opponent to the ground, giving allies a +4 to hit.

12) Power Strike: -2 to hit but +3 damage.

13) Precise Attack: +2 to hit but -3 damage.

14) Defensive Strike: Cannot make any other attacks except defensive strike for the rest of the round. -2 to hit. Grants the hero a -2 to be hit as long as he is awake and mobile.

15) Cut throat: Special attack and -4 to hit. Hit point damage x5% chance to cause heavy bleeding. Hit point damage x10% if the target was surprised.

Heavy Bleeding: Character loses 1/10th of maximum hit points every 15 seconds until the wound is cauterized or treated.

Non Capes lose 15 hit points/round.
« Last Edit: Sep 21st, 2012 at 6:23pm by Nemo_the_Clown »  

IP Logged

Thunderbolts
Avenger

"Justice Like Lightning!"

Re: A Bored Veteran OR Combat Maneuvers
Reply #1 - Sep 21st, 2012 at 6:49pm
Print Post  
Hmmm... Very interesting!

Have you had any chance to play test this with characters that could potentially combine powers like an electrified body  {from lighting control} and say a Haymaker?

Just curious! Smiley
« Last Edit: Sep 21st, 2012 at 6:49pm by Thunderbolts »  

"...no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free.  No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."
GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Nemo_the_Clown
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #2 - Sep 21st, 2012 at 7:14pm
Print Post  
Nope. No play testing thus far. However, since a haymaker is a once per session deal, I'm not too worried about it. It's really about each character getting a cool chance to shine. That's the concept behind haymaker.

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #3 - Sep 21st, 2012 at 8:29pm
Print Post  
The tough part of looking at this list is the exact thing you said about the mechanics and interpretations of them...
This is strictly opinion and I wouldn't tell anyone they have to run anything as suggested below; I understand you'll do as you do, no badmouth on that from here, but you asked for critique:

1) Bearhug: If a victim/character is considered grabbed, then the grabber should be able to exert full strength anyway. What is the mechanic I would worry about here is how much can the victim mitigate through opposed STR and if the grabbed is stronger than it doesn't matter because the next move is an escape attempt anyway (again opposed STR).

2) Bullrush: Whenever I see this mentioned, I always think of the last conversation Majestic and I had about 'passing' strike maneuvers and velocity damage and hit modifiers. 

3) Cheapshot: Any surprise attack is a 'cheap' shot imo. The mechanic this brings to mind is the difference again for the victim between active defenses and passive defenses. If Sneaky Pete launches a Brooklyn hook at unsuspecting IronHulk who is in his iron form, a cheap shot might be moot...

4) Coup De Grace: Interestingly this one seemed to beg a lot less drag out of me. This shouldn't be a 'maneuver' as much as a role playing moment. If your players are heroes the decision to take a life when all the other players know it's possible, plausible and unopposed speaks volumes to the group about the 'character' of the hero...

5) Blind: This is one of the most sensible ideas imo; but it's effect is going to be based on materials and applicability, so it too is more a role-playing moment to buy time or advantage and shouldn't really be hard coded to any numbers game.

6) Disarm: Opposed STR/damage versus victim STR again... attacker should have to make a called shot with a minus to hit for range, surprise and specific location at least. The % for success the way you've written it takes too much control of the situation away from the victim.

7) Taunt: Emotion Control without actually having the power I believe would become attacker's Charisma versus a victim's Intelligence. Maybe a modifier for factors for victims' possible frustration with successive taunts, otherwise if the victim saves versus the taunt, he or she blows off the insult/goad/taunt...

8 & 9) Flurry & Haymaker: so we're going to offer players more damage for expenditure of PR... not a fan of these kinds of modifiers. I might rule that 1 extra PR on a normal HTH attack allows only the upper echelon of damage available. The extra Oomph for a 1d6 for example allows the hero to score only 4, 5, or 6 on his roll for damage unmodified. Something like that, but truly a character shouldn't be allow to become more than their write-up in exchage for PR.
And I see where you're going with haymakers, but usually a haymaker is just a punch that has time to land properly and usually exposes its maker to being in a bit less of a defensive posture. And it's not that the punch is anything more than the maker is capable of, it just usually lands in a place that hurts like the nose, under the chin, solar plexus, the groin (haymaker kick)... if it went this way, you wouldn't have to limit the attempt to once per session

10) Headbutt: Knockout is increased to 3x for who? The attacker? There is no inherent advantage using a headbutt in this regard; it's not more devastating to get headbutted unless the person is also charging. And then only NFL guys ever seem to do this and they have head gear and still suffer concussions.
Headbutt is also something I would require a character to have Natural Weaponry (Some sort of HTH fighting style) to use properly, the half damage should only be applied to someone untrained.

11) Sweep: This is an attack that does knockdown and should be ruled on as if its an attack doing knockback, the intent being to bring an opponent off their balance or footing. Now if this is being used against a trained HTH combatant, then would they get an opposed check?

12, 13 & 14) Power Strike, Precise, Defensive Strike: See Haymaker.

15 & 16) Cut throat & Heavy Bleeding: see Cheap Shot. The concept of bleeding is already covered in the rules mechanics. Normal people who are damaged by blades, clubs, bullets and bombs already bleed out pretty quick. Having a special maneuver or explanation seems kinda redundant.

I totally understand wanting to make the game more exciting though, I just don't think this list does that anymore than the normal game mechanics.
« Last Edit: Sep 21st, 2012 at 8:36pm by AlabasterKnight »  

If it's not fun, we're not doing it right.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #4 - Sep 21st, 2012 at 8:51pm
Print Post  
AlabasterKnight wrote on Sep 21st, 2012 at 8:29pm:
The concept of bleeding is already covered in the rules mechanics. Normal people who are damaged by blades, clubs, bullets and bombs already bleed out pretty quick.

You sure on this, J?  The only place I can remember reading about this in V&V is one of the Dragon magazine articles.

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #5 - Sep 21st, 2012 at 9:08pm
Print Post  
I don't remember a bleeding mechanic either.

Did someone say magazine articles?  Magazine articles related to V&V can be found here:
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/vnvrpg/files/

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #6 - Sep 21st, 2012 at 10:39pm
Print Post  
LOL! DN, you're going to become known as "The V&V Magazine Guy"!  Cheesy

You know, as I've reflected on the OP I've realized that perhaps we play with a mechanic that might lead to the issues Nemo posted.

Another player was just telling me about something from Nemo's game last night, reflecting on how he picked up this giant ogre and was getting ready to throw him when he got him and knocked out.

How would most of you handle that situation?  Would you rationalize that as a single HTH attack and have the player roll once?

The reason I ask is because - as we've defined things - this takes three separate attack rolls and two actions!  Two to grab the giant ogre (a special attack), followed by a second action and another attack roll (HTH again) for the throw.

The difficulty of doing this might lead to the desire of having these other combat maneuvers, as many of them seem very specific to HTH.
« Last Edit: Sep 21st, 2012 at 10:40pm by Majestic »  

IP Logged

Thunderbolts
Avenger

Reply #7 - Sep 21st, 2012 at 10:52pm
Print Post  
Why would it be three attack rolls?  One to grab, then an opposed strength test to hod on to him and then an attack roll to throw him... assuming you have the strength to lift and throw him?

I'm new to this game system so forgive my ignorance if I'm missing something... obvious.

"...no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free.  No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."
GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #8 - Sep 21st, 2012 at 11:16pm
Print Post  
I believe grabbing someone is considered a Special Attack.  This is covered in section 3.4 (page 26 of the Revised Edition rules and page 28 of the 2.1 rules).

Grabbing is not listed under Special Attacks and I don't know where in the rulebook it states this (if at all).  I've always thought of grabbing as a special attack, also.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #9 - Sep 22nd, 2012 at 12:49am
Print Post  
Display Name has it right, though I concede that this is something that we've articulated in our own homebrew rules, rather than being from the rules themselves.

Display Name, do we have the full rules for "Villains and Variants" now in the magazine collection (I can't access it right now, for some reason)?  I'm buddies with the author, John Polojac, and might be able to score you a full copy, if we haven't added that yet.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #10 - Sep 22nd, 2012 at 12:52am
Print Post  
Disregard that last, as I just was able to go there and check (though I see that we're missing at least a few lines at the start).

AK, that article ("Villains and Variants", from Dragon #105) was the one that spells out lethal attacks.
« Last Edit: Sep 22nd, 2012 at 12:55am by Majestic »  

IP Logged

Nemo_the_Clown
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #11 - Sep 22nd, 2012 at 3:28am
Print Post  
1) I think you misunderstand. The Bear Hug move would be instead of a standard grab. The Bear Hug is harder to perform, however it gives you half the damage initially (instead of just a grab, which would be a special attack and no damage). Even if the victim is stronger, that doesn't necessarily mean he won't be hurt by the squeeze, imo. Nor will he guarantee the breakout just by being stronger.

2) Okay?

3) Obviously depending on situation it might be moot point. However, it is a good general rule.

4) This is mainly to force the PC's to think twice/use tactics when there is a hostage situation, making rescues tougher.

5) Again, a general rule. It would change based on situation, what is used to blind, etc.

6) I agree. I'll re work this one.

7) That looks pretty good.

8-9) We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one. I think pushing yourself is a cool mechanic, and a hard decision (not a no brainer) especially for long combats.

10) Maybe the half damage to someone untrained sounds good. I didn't think of a different positive end besides an increased knock out percentage but wanted to add the maneuver. Maybe a high chance to break a nose?

11) I like the idea of it being based on knockback (i.e. Basic Hits counting, as it WOULD be harder to knock down a super large foe).

15-16) I wanted to make it harsher for not just a bleeding wound, but a throat cut. Also gives a little bonus to those who have high detect danger (or train in it), as no one would want to get snuck up on with the ability to get your throat cut!!

Thanks for all the feedback, I do appreciate it. Anyone else?

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #12 - Sep 22nd, 2012 at 7:22pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Sep 21st, 2012 at 8:51pm:
The concept of bleeding is already covered in the rules mechanics. Normal people who are damaged by blades, clubs, bullets and bombs already bleed out pretty quick.

You sure on this, J?  The only place I can remember reading about this in V&V is one of the Dragon magazine articles.

The expression of 'bleeding' or lethality is generalized throughout the basic combat. Blood/bleeding and cardiovascular reactions to severe blows are as defined through the expression of total hit points and power/rolling with a punch as anything else. There's not any practical reason to try to equalize one pint of blood to a certain amount of hit points or basic hits. Some creatures, villains, androids, etc. would be immune to this mechanic and create an unnecessary liability for all characters with actual physiology, players and NPCs alike.

Knockout is already there to address sudden trauma causing unconsciousness. If a character doesn't/isn't able to roll with damage (this could also be seen as deflecting a knife or leaping out of the direct path of a bullet to force a 'graze'), then the resultant loss in hit points/power from a successful opponent hit would be apparent as 'blood loss' or even loss of a limb, or death complete with signs of fatigue where applicable.
« Last Edit: Sep 22nd, 2012 at 7:25pm by AlabasterKnight »  

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #13 - Sep 22nd, 2012 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
The concept of bleeding is already covered in the rules mechanics.

...is a bit different from:

AlabasterKnight wrote on Sep 22nd, 2012 at 7:22pm:
The expression of 'bleeding' or lethality is generalized throughout the basic combat.

Let me ask it to you more directly:
Is there a specific mechanic that allows a villain to say "Your friend is dying.  You can either capture me or rescue him/her!"

Bleeding out usually means taking additional damage after a wound(s) is inflicted.

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #14 - Sep 22nd, 2012 at 10:00pm
Print Post  
Display Name wrote on Sep 22nd, 2012 at 8:11pm:

The expression of 'bleeding' or lethality is generalized throughout the basic combat.

Is there a specific mechanic that allows a villain to say "Your friend is dying.  You can either capture me or rescue him/her!"

Bleeding out usually means taking additional damage after a wound(s) is inflicted.

No, of course not as specifically stated as a rule, but it's non-sensical too.
IMO, the only way to have a fair 'bleeding out mechanic would be for every person who can bleed out to have Weakness: Character bleeds.
Why? Because some characters don't bleed at all.
But now we're getting into a minutae where the character has that weakness in the first place.
And would they have to take more hit points than their Basic Hits plus some modifier based on Endurance for the GM to know it is a severe enough wound to continuously bleed? No one seems to be accounting for the global expression of hit points, power and rolling with the punch also as mitigating factors that prevent a severity of further wounding.
What about the body's ability to mitigate trauma on its own?
Are we assuming a big wound means automatic blood loss?
Why aren't we assuming that the damage inflicted is a turn based expression that includes blood loss/systemic damage to the body?
Friends dying out as a choice is likely a roleplaying scenario that a player shouldn't be able to count on mechanically and also that the hero doing the saving should have NO idea if they will act in time.
« Last Edit: Sep 22nd, 2012 at 10:01pm by AlabasterKnight »  

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #15 - Sep 22nd, 2012 at 10:07pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Sep 22nd, 2012 at 12:52am:
Disregard that last, as I just was able to go there and check (though I see that we're missing at least a few lines at the start).

AK, that article ("Villains and Variants", from Dragon #105) was the one that spells out lethal attacks.

Ah yes, the one written by Greycrusader from the MHG forum. Although it covers an interpretation of lethality, it isn't too much more straight forward than section 3.4 already is. The need for that lethality still doesn't account for bleeding out, does it?
Maybe Greycrusader should come over here and discuss it a bit/shed some light on his thoughts then and now... that'd be pretty cool Smiley
« Last Edit: Sep 22nd, 2012 at 10:07pm by AlabasterKnight »  

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #16 - Sep 22nd, 2012 at 10:29pm
Print Post  
Nemo_the_Clown wrote on Sep 22nd, 2012 at 3:28am:
1) I think you misunderstand. The Bear Hug move would be instead of a standard grab. The Bear Hug is harder to perform, however it gives you half the damage initially (instead of just a grab, which would be a special attack and no damage). Even if the victim is stronger, that doesn't necessarily mean he won't be hurt by the squeeze, imo. Nor will he guarantee the breakout just by being stronger.

2) Okay?

3) Obviously depending on situation it might be moot point. However, it is a good general rule.

4) This is mainly to force the PC's to think twice/use tactics when there is a hostage situation, making rescues tougher.

5) Again, a general rule. It would change based on situation, what is used to blind, etc.

8-9) We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one. I think pushing yourself is a cool mechanic, and a hard decision (not a no brainer) especially for long combats.

10) Maybe the half damage to someone untrained sounds good. I didn't think of a different positive end besides an increased knock out percentage but wanted to add the maneuver. Maybe a high chance to break a nose?

11) I like the idea of it being based on knockback (i.e. Basic Hits counting, as it WOULD be harder to knock down a super large foe).

15-16) I wanted to make it harsher for not just a bleeding wound, but a throat cut. Also gives a little bonus to those who have high detect danger (or train in it), as no one would want to get snuck up on with the ability to get your throat cut!!

Not being snarky but,
1) I think you misunderstand. A 'Bear Hug' move is a standard grab that isn't really harder to perform unless being attempted head on, just requires both arms. Usually someone will try this from the rear and by surprise to gain a to hit bonus, but it doesn't do any more damage than the normal HTH limit of the character applying the hug/grip.
You're right if the victim is strongerthat doesn't necessarily mean he won't be hurt by the squeeze, but his opposed Strength may negate any damage. There is no guarantee that he or she will breakout either just by being stronger, but the chances are much better. The special effect of a bear hug is not damage, but immobilization.

2) It's a HTH attack while moving and doesn't confer any special bonus not already covered in the rules... no need for a mechanic, but if you want to call it a bullrush, okay.

4) Agreed. But if a victim/person is vulnerable to this, it becomes a roleplaying moment; you don't need a hard fast set of numbers that the player's can rely on to prevent you from punishing them when they do something stupid. If the players have a plan, then initiative and guile will be the winners in a hostage situation.

5) It also depends on the opponent's sight sense, how it functions and whether it needs to be protected.

8-9) Pushing yourself is a cool mechanic, but it doesn't make you more than you are, just allows you to focus what you have or endure where you should not..

10) Someone who is trained doesn't worry about damage to their self because they are trained and know how to do the maneuver without messing it up, just like any other martial strike.

15-16) The bleeding thing is the problem, the cut is just a wound. The effect your looking for is that coup-de-grace in your other -- a cut throat is a coup-de-grace maneuver...

The main thing about the things you propose (obviously, this is opinion and in your house, you are king!) is that you are introducing extra damage and opportunity where there shouldn't be any, and in the bear hug, you're actually introducing a limit (half damage first round?)

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #17 - Sep 23rd, 2012 at 2:51am
Print Post  
AlabasterKnight wrote on Sep 22nd, 2012 at 10:00pm:
IMO, the only way to have a fair 'bleeding out mechanic would be for every person who can bleed out to have Weakness: Character bleeds.
Why? Because some characters don't bleed at all.

If the default house rule is that characters bleed, than bleeding wouldn't require a special weakness. Rather, not bleeding would be a special power.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #18 - Sep 23rd, 2012 at 4:48am
Print Post  
Completely agree, polarboy.

I think the desire (by some) to see some sort of lethality is more to indicate that some types of damage should be different.

In other words, if a person takes 8 points of damage from a punch, that could be viewed as different from 8 points of damage from a bullet to the stomach.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #19 - Sep 23rd, 2012 at 6:30am
Print Post  
AlabasterKnight wrote on Sep 22nd, 2012 at 10:29pm:
1) I think you misunderstand. A 'Bear Hug' move is a standard grab that isn't really harder to perform unless being attempted head on, just requires both arms. Usually someone will try this from the rear and by surprise to gain a to hit bonus, but it doesn't do any more damage than the normal HTH limit of the character applying the hug/grip.
You're right if the victim is strongerthat doesn't necessarily mean he won't be hurt by the squeeze, but his opposed Strength may negate any damage. There is no guarantee that he or she will breakout either just by being stronger, but the chances are much better. The special effect of a bear hug is not damage, but immobilization.

Well, remember that - per the rules (p. 44) - a person only does half damage when bending/pushing/pulling, at least towards inanimate objects.  It would certainly be reasonable (by that logic) that a person who is successfully held (by an attacker) would only do half damage.

But then V&V doesn't really give us an "opposed roll" mechanic as you seem to imply, AK, though I imagine most people have their own house rules for such a thing (which I'm totally cool with).

Curiously - and regarding the "pushing oneself" concept (a rule I'm not crazy about myself) - one thing that Jeff and Jack seem to have used  (as their own house rule) is the ability of any character to simply do a "double-shot".  In other words, when my character with Power Blast wants to do a double-shot, they can spend double Power and do a 2d20 Power Blast (all with a single action, and at a single target).  Personally, I don't find that very fair, since Power Blast is so much cheaper than, say, Lightning or Magnetics or so many other powers, so doubling Power Blast lets you get that 2d20 for only 2 Power, where doubling a Magnetic Blast would cost you 10.  Then of course there's the whole issue of power creep...
« Last Edit: Sep 23rd, 2012 at 6:33am by Majestic »  

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #20 - Sep 23rd, 2012 at 11:44am
Print Post  
AlabasterKnight wrote on Sep 22nd, 2012 at 10:00pm:
Display Name wrote on Sep 22nd, 2012 at 8:11pm:

No, blah, blah, blah

This is all that we were asking.
« Last Edit: Sep 23rd, 2012 at 11:45am by Display Name »  

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #21 - Sep 23rd, 2012 at 1:10pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Sep 23rd, 2012 at 4:48am:
I think the desire (by some) to see some sort of lethality is more to indicate that some types of damage should be different.

I agree, but as an aspect of realism, not just typed damaged for its own sake.

This whole thread is about opinion; I just believe that the GM can have a limited set of practices behind the shield to introduce this realism without altering the offering of mechanics to players to further complicate balance issue the GM already is responsible for in this game. I suppose that's a style issue. I think there's a lot more GM control inherently in V&V and most other games give way too much mechanic to the players to meta game with. (all IMO_ I am a storyteller GM and not a 'simulationist'...)

---
On another note... blah blah? really?

Display Name: Is there a specific mechanic that allows a villain to say "Your friend is dying.  You can either capture me or rescue him/her!"

AK: Yes. It's called player makes a choice, GM rules accordingly. In that situation the player shouldn't have a game metric to measure whether they have time to make the choice. It's lame and a cop out that relieves the tension of having to play the moment.
This what roleplaying is for in the RPG. The GM is going to determine whether the player has the initiative, skill, power, and plan to pull it off and the player is going to roll his or her dice and role-play the scenario, right?  Smiley

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #22 - Sep 23rd, 2012 at 1:15pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Sep 23rd, 2012 at 6:30am:
Well, remember that - per the rules (p. 44) - a person only does half damage when bending/pushing/pulling, at least towards inanimate objects.  It would certainly be reasonable (by that logic) that a person who is successfully held (by an attacker) would only do half damage.

if of course they were inanimate~

Quote:
But then V&V doesn't really give us an "opposed roll" mechanic as you seem to imply, AK, though I imagine most people have their own house rules for such a thing (which I'm totally cool with).

(Majestic, turn off your sarcasm detector:)
... 2.1 update for opposed tasks and skills?
(~I don't agree with how they defined it, but I agree with the concept of having this type of sensible mechanic therefore, the opinions expressed here reflect that I too have it as a house rule.)

IP Logged

Nemo_the_Clown
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #23 - Sep 23rd, 2012 at 5:16pm
Print Post  
AlabasterKnight wrote on Sep 22nd, 2012 at 10:29pm:
Nemo_the_Clown wrote on Sep 22nd, 2012 at 3:28am:

2) Okay?

Not being snarky but,

2) It's a HTH attack while moving and doesn't confer any special bonus not already covered in the rules... no need for a mechanic, but if you want to call it a bullrush, okay.

4) Agreed. But if a victim/person is vulnerable to this, it becomes a roleplaying moment; you don't need a hard fast set of numbers that the player's can rely on to prevent you from punishing them when they do something stupid. If the players have a plan, then initiative and guile will be the winners in a hostage situation.

5) It also depends on the opponent's sight sense, how it functions and whether it needs to be protected.

8-9) Pushing yourself is a cool mechanic, but it doesn't make you more than you are, just allows you to focus what you have or endure where you should not..

10) Someone who is trained doesn't worry about damage to their self because they are trained and know how to do the maneuver without messing it up, just like any other martial strike.

15-16) The bleeding thing is the problem, the cut is just a wound. The effect your looking for is that coup-de-grace in your other -- a cut throat is a coup-de-grace maneuver...

The main thing about the things you propose (obviously, this is opinion and in your house, you are king!) is that you are introducing extra damage and opportunity where there shouldn't be any, and in the bear hug, you're actually introducing a limit (half damage first round?)

I think a wrap around would be harder than say, the hulk snatching someone up by the foot. You could do a normal grab with one hand, as opposed to the bear hug (an obvious two). Which would reflect the -2 to hit. Adding another mechanic for someone who is strong to negate damage will just make combat run even slower. I don't feel its necessary.

There's a mechanic? For my formula I invented? This is news to me. Seeing as how you missed it, I'll re share: "Knockback is calculated using the formula DMG - Basic Hits instead of Hit point Damage - Basic Hits."

4) As a player, I'd much rather know what I was up against, instead of it just being "the almighty GM's call." Number/rules help the GM when he is overwhelmed with other crap.

Pushing yourself absolutely DOES make you more than you are. Have you never been to the gym, sir? That's the mechanic behind it. There is a plot line in Teen Titans where Cyborg goes through depression because, after his cybernetics were implanted, he actually had limitations. You can always push yourself beyond your ability.

The reason for these mechanics isnt to bog the game down, it's to give players the ability to do their own thing, and have every combat a little different. When characters have only one attack form, combat can get boring pretty quickly.

Ever done one of these? In the words of Paul Blart; "Nobody wins with the headbutt." Although it helps a lot if you hit your opponent right at the bridge of the nose, it mostly backfires when you miss your strike, or go skull to skull.

How is the bear hug a limit? It's giving a "higher risk = higher damage" option for grabs. And it's purely opinion that I shouldn't introduce higher damage. Some groups have PC's with 100+ is most stats. Some play low powered. Most, to my knowledge, are mid level. I don't mind throwing a tiny bit more damage in order for PC's to get more fun and versatility out of combat.

I appreciate the input. Actually, believe it or not AK, you've helped immensely. You're showing me that 80% of the problems that might come up with these, are stuff I can deal with. And the other 20% will be tweaked and modified.

Anyone else?

IP Logged

Nemo_the_Clown
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #24 - Sep 23rd, 2012 at 5:30pm
Print Post  
When talking it over with Majestic, I think I misunderstood you AK on Bullrushing. I'm aware there is a mechanic for instituting velocity damage, however that is not the goal with this maneuver. The point is say (someone blocking a doorway), and a hero/villain wants to knock that person aside. By using a bullrush, his knockback will be much greater, knocking the other guy out of the way. Still a special attack, but I'm contemplating ways to allow the character to move a small amount after the attack is finished.

IP Logged

Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

Reply #25 - Sep 23rd, 2012 at 11:31pm
Print Post  
Hey guys here are Dsummers critical hit/injury rules... what do you think?

3.6b Critical Hits
        Some hits cause damage so sever that the wound continues to bleed. When ever a hit point is lost by a character there is  a chance that the wound can be critical.  Critical hits can not be healed by normal means.  Critical hits must be tended to by a doctor.   A wound is critical if the knockout roll is 01-05 AND the roll is not over the amount of damage taken by that attack in hits.   For example,  Bob takes 3 points of damage from his hits.  The knockout rolls is 04.  While it is within that range,  Bob only took 3 damage so the wound is not critical.
           Ok, now these things modify the critical hits.

Punches: Normal.  01-05
Blunt Weapons:     01-10
Sharp Weapons:     01-15
Guns:                      01-20
Explosions:              01-25
Energy:                   01-15

Now the body part also modifies the critical hits.

Body Shot: normal
Arm, leg:   normal
Head, Heart:  x4
Groin:            x3

So if a gun is used an a called shot to the head is made, then  the wound is critical if the knockout rolls is between 01-80!

To heal from a critical hit, surgery is required.  Getting surgery causes 2d8 damage to the patient, which they, of course, can not roll with.  This damage is modified by the surgeon's skill.   You take the damage modifier of the surgeon and subtract it from the 2d8 damage of the procedure.

Also the surgeon needs to roll Id20  ( I is his intelligence score) to see if he is successful.  It is not successful, then the damage is taken but no positive results are gained.   It needs to be done again, and with more risk, as the patient has less hits!

After each surgery the patient rolls Ed20.  If he fails the roll he permanently loses a point of Endurance.    This simulates wear and tear.   Its best to avoid injuries after all.

And then,  don't forget to roll to see if the damage taken from the surgery is critical!      If it is, treat this as complications from the surgery.

...Perhaps some variation on this might be useful to consider for some of the damage effects your going for?

Also, I was pondering this the Bleeding rules... of which there are not any really, you could say that anytime a hero/villain/npc takes a number of damage in hit points or power points {from rolling with blow} equal to their Endurance in one singular attack... there is a chance of a 'Bleeding Wound' being inflicted.  The change is say... 100% - the Victim's Endurance in % {say a 16 endurance yields a 84% change of inflicting a Bleeding wound} rolled on a d100.  From that point on a victim looses 1 power point or maybe 1 point of endurance every number of rounds equal to the victim's endurance {yes this speeds up if the victim loosed endurance points from bleeding} until it is medically treated, bound, staunched or the victim dies.  The victim may not even realize they are bleeding ... it could be internal hemorrhaging. 

{ Poor Roy Folker! Sad }

This is just off the top of my head and will likely have to be modified or overuled its just a thought... what do you think?
« Last Edit: Sep 24th, 2012 at 12:06am by Thunderbolt »  

"...No amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."
GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #26 - Sep 23rd, 2012 at 11:49pm
Print Post  
Losing Endurance sounds interesting.  Temporarily, of course.

IP Logged

Nemo_the_Clown
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #27 - Sep 25th, 2012 at 3:57pm
Print Post  
I like the idea for a critical hit. It sounds very interesting.

Anyone else?

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #28 - Sep 25th, 2012 at 9:08pm
Print Post  
Nemo_the_Clown wrote on Sep 23rd, 2012 at 5:16pm:
4) As a player, I'd much rather know what I was up against, instead of it just being "the almighty GM's call." Number/rules help the GM when he is overwhelmed with other crap.

Ah, well there it is. As a GM and player, in some situations the player should have to face complete uncertainty where they don't know what mechanic the GM is going to install and there is no predictable range of numbers to calculate the outcome or chance thereof. IMO, that's one of 'em. And the minute we label the GM 'almighty' with any degree of serious, we have indicated that the players have lost a certain level of trust that again, imo, is part of the covenant of what roleplaying is all about.

On another note.
I have been to a gym, and those results never come instantly, so the correlation to pushing one's self for a phase in the game for some extra PR isn't quite sync'd for that analogy. Yes in the gym we push ourselves to try and do our best, but the results in that effort do not reflect 5 mins later, they occur over time.
A push mechanic that does increase attributes, capacities or damage classes - that is always available when the player wants to spend some extra PR - unbalances some things, let alone implies that the way a character's powers are written in the rules doesn't already reflect that character's current limits.

As far as making the game more interesting with maneuvers, they too will become routine by the same logic.
I just think the descriptive actions of roleplay can make every punch kick or maneuver different and there are already parallel mechanics to build in maneuvers if we really want them without creating new ones that stand apart from the rules we're given.
For example: Martial Arts could be rolled like Animal Powers, except that the base power is Natural Weaponry and the special effects maneuvers are other powers that are shaped from effects of existing powers, i.e. Stunning Blow would attack as a Paralysis Ray, Quivering Palm might be Death Touch, you get the idea...
« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2012 at 12:19am by AlabasterKnight »  

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #29 - Sep 26th, 2012 at 12:41am
Print Post  
I think the GM should kill 'em all and let the dice sort 'em out!

IP Logged

Nemo_the_Clown
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #30 - Sep 26th, 2012 at 5:03pm
Print Post  
AlabasterKnight wrote on Sep 25th, 2012 at 9:08pm:
Nemo_the_Clown wrote on Sep 23rd, 2012 at 5:16pm:

Ah, well there it is. As a GM and player, in some situations the player should have to face complete uncertainty where they don't know what mechanic the GM is going to install and there is no predictable range of numbers to calculate the outcome or chance thereof. IMO, that's one of 'em. And the minute we label the GM 'almighty' with any degree of serious, we have indicated that the players have lost a certain level of trust that again, imo, is part of the covenant of what roleplaying is all about.

On another note.
I have been to a gym, and those results never come instantly, so the correlation to pushing one's self for a phase in the game for some extra PR isn't quite sync'd for that analogy. Yes in the gym we push ourselves to try and do our best, but the results in that effort do not reflect 5 mins later, they occur over time.
A push mechanic that does increase attributes, capacities or damage classes - that is always available when the player wants to spend some extra PR - unbalances some things, let alone implies that the way a character's powers are written in the rules doesn't already reflect that character's current limits.

As far as making the game more interesting with maneuvers, they too will become routine by the same logic.
I just think the descriptive actions of roleplay can make every punch kick or maneuver different and there are already parallel mechanics to build in maneuvers if we really want them without creating new ones that stand apart from the rules we're given.
For example: Martial Arts could be rolled like Animal Powers, except that the base power is Natural Weaponry and the special effects maneuvers are other powers that are shaped from effects of existing powers, i.e. Stunning Blow would attack as a Paralysis Ray, Quivering Palm might be Death Touch, you get the idea...

There should be a level of uncertainty. I am just trying to implement at least a probable outcome that the players could potentially put their money on... as opposed to just a shot in the dark.

The gym I'm going to have to disagree with you. Results can come instantly. You can push yourself further than you are capable of right then and there, especially with a workout buddy. I go 5 times a week, and pushing yourself is going just beyond your limits.

Although that is cool, it's just an alternate method for what I am already suggesting. I don't think a little extra damage will wreck my campaign. If I did, I would agree that I could just have things attack as other methods.

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #31 - Sep 26th, 2012 at 8:20pm
Print Post  
Nemo_the_Clown wrote on Sep 26th, 2012 at 5:03pm:
You can push yourself further than you are capable of right then and there, especially with a workout buddy. I go 5 times a week, and pushing yourself is going just beyond your limits.

No, you're just putting yourself through the immense strain of reaching your peak right then and there. You didn't suddenly grow the ability to add 50% to your lift capacity in the gym by pushing yourself, you just reached into your gut and found your true limit that you were capable of the whole time. Same thing I was trying to tell you: Pushing yourself with some extra PR (representing the pain) you would eliminate the less-than-optimal results:
I have 1d8 HTH damage plus whatever other modifiers, we'll say +2. If I push myself (spend the xtra PR) I will ensure the focus that my potential could be reached in that moment (GM says my exertion is clean and he'll let me only roll 7s or 8s for that phase). It hurt, it's not a random less than focused result, and represents your exertion in game terms.

Over time with the right regimen (IE the gym), your Strength, Agility and Endurance attributes could increase (Training at the next XP level!) and now your capacities change permanently until you repeat the cycle.

But again tomayto/tomotto Smiley

Nemo_the_Clown wrote on Sep 26th, 2012 at 5:03pm:
There should be a level of uncertainty.

This
Quote:
I am just trying to implement at least a probable outcomethat the players could potentially put their money on... as opposed to just a shot in the dark.

is an oxymoron...
« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2012 at 8:22pm by AlabasterKnight »  

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #32 - Sep 26th, 2012 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
I started typing out a response at work, but the computer I was using got snatched up (with a virus) and removed, so I lost the post.  I think AK more or less said what I was going to say to clarify his perspective.

My view of V&V Basic Characteristics (what many people refer to as "Stats" or "Attributes" or what-have-you) is this:

Let's say a character can bench press 200 lbs.  He goes to the gym and his workout partner/buddy/trainer pushes him and he finds himself able to bench 220.

My interpretation of that is that that character's Carrying Capacity (in V&V terminology) is 220.

Most days he could only lift around 200, but if pushed, say via adrenaline or by whatever other means, he would/could max out at 220.

Thus artificially inflating that amount puts all of the other numbers out of whack (it raises the cap on every other statistic).

And with this we're really only talking about Strength (and CC).  But it applies to all of the stats, both the BCs and the attributes/stats derived from them.

I think many players tend to view the BCs as the average of what people are on a given day.  "That guy is pretty average in smarts, so he's about a 10 in Intelligence".  But the stats more accurately reflect the maximum that any person/character can obtain, even when they're pushed.

Even then, no matter how good they are, there's always the chance they'll be having a bad day (i.e., roll a "20").  Wink

IP Logged

Nemo_the_Clown
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #33 - Sep 28th, 2012 at 8:02pm
Print Post  
I believe we are going to have to agree to disagree.

Playtesting day 1: Sweep was used I believe twice, once successful, the other he missed with (so 1/1 on the %, and he only hit for 5 points, pretty cool IMO).
Cheapshot was ALMOST used at one point.
Headbutt was used once by Armstrong (our tank, guy with size change). He had no problem taking the damage, although he becomes a nervous wreck every time he needs to make a roll for unconsciousness. He ended up KOing the villain with the headbutt.
One hero really liked using Disarm (used it 3 times, hit every time, and it worked 2/3 times).

Power Shot and Precise Shot were used numerous times, by several players.

They all really like them so far.

IP Logged

>