Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) From the journal of John Q. Public (Read 2656 times)
Marshal Strong
Teen Titan

\m/ All hail the Metal!

From the journal of John Q. Public
Oct 17th, 2012 at 8:07pm
Print Post  
From the Journal of John Q. Public

I don’t dwell on the horrific beating I took the night they robbed me.  At least, I don’t think I do.  Of course the image is still crystal clear - vibrant- and hangs in my mind like a painting.  I mean, it’s there, it’s not like I need to dig it up or comb through my memories to find it.  I’m not going to pretend I don’t see it or that the image has somehow faded over time.  That would be crazy.  I’m not in denial.  It’s there.  I see it.  It’s ever present in the forefront of my mind.  Why dwell on it? 

The important thing is that mentally, I’m fine.  Stable.  But because of the responsibilities I’ve taken on, and the function I serve in the community, I feel it is incumbent upon me to monitor my mental health and make sure that I’m A-Okay.  And fortunately, so far, so good.  And to make sure that it stays that way, I’ve recently taken to reading psychological literature.  This allows me to accurately analyze myself and make sure that none of this daily carnage that has become my life, is effecting me.  I don’t pretend to know everything there is to know about psychology - but if I can make use of a helpful analogy here - it’s like my mind is a tool, for example- a knife, and psychology is like a sharpening stone. As I increase my awareness I sharpen my knife (mind).  I’ve become more attuned to my motivations, patterns of thought, and the language of my subconscious mind.

The other night I had a dream, can’t remember the main part - something about riding an elephant into battle (kind of fuzzy), but at one point in the dream my mother told me that there were bananas I could cut up for my morning cereal.  Seemed so real.  Boy was I disappointed when I woke up and realized that I’d have to have my cornflakes plain.  I knew the elephant part was a dream, I mean I’ve never even seen an elephant in person (I was afraid of going to the circus as a kid - so creepy), but for some reason I was still looking forward to the bananas. Go figure.  Anyway, to tie it in to all the psychology stuff, I like to use theses moments to evaluate my subconscious mind.  This dream was a little tricky, but it’s meaning slowly became clear to me.  My mother was kind and her gesture in the dream was of a nurturing nature.  She represents goodness.  Milk also represents nurturing and goodness.  Bananas could represent being crazy, but in this context it comes form the nurturer, which tells me that my mother (goodness) was letting me know that I’m still okay and I don’t need to doubt myself.  I’ve been hurting the right people for the right reasons.  I feel sharp and focused.  I’m still not sure what the elephant means.  This may be unrelated, but lately I’ve been thinking about the ways I could use an ordinary plastic comb to surprise and neutralize a target.  It could be incredibly effective against the soft tissues of the neck or across the eyes, or even thrust into the windpipe to stun.  I don’t think my recent musings on the comb tie into the dream, though technically, elephants do have hair…
« Last Edit: Oct 17th, 2012 at 8:25pm by Marshal Strong »  

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Re: From the journal of John Q. Public
Reply #1 - Oct 17th, 2012 at 9:09pm
Print Post  
Um, I am backing out of this room, very, very slowly and quietly.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #2 - Oct 18th, 2012 at 6:44pm
Print Post  
My craziest Characters do not hold a candle to this guy.

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #3 - Oct 18th, 2012 at 10:35pm
Print Post  
Oh I don't know. From what I've seen you wouldn't want to give odds either way  Wink

aka Dracos aka DarkStar aka Star Guard

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #4 - Oct 19th, 2012 at 7:23pm
Print Post  
It's the clear Face Mask he wears that really freaks me out.

IP Logged

Marshal Strong
Teen Titan

\m/ All hail the Metal!

Regular guys (From the journal of John Q. Public)
Reply #5 - Mar 10th, 2013 at 11:49am
Print Post  
I’ve been spending a lot of time thinking about plastic combs lately.  The damage a simple plastic comb can do to soft tissue, when properly applied, is staggering. The wound particularly horrendous, even grotesque.  Guns, on the other hand, have always been foreign to me.  I’m not a cop or a soldier.  I don’t hunt. I don’t even fish for that matter.  Actually, I can remember throwing a fish back the one time I fished as a kid.  I was so happy to set it free.  But when my dad put it back in the water it just lied there, looking dead, floating on the surface.  Poor innocent fish.  My father explained to me that it takes a moment or two for the fish to regain it’s senses and swim away.  When I looked back it was gone, so I guess my dad was right.  But I didn’t actually see him swim away, and that moment haunted me for a long time.  I felt like a no good killer.  Like I was the bad guy.  That’s how I’d feel if I used a gun.  Just a killer, a professional killer.  But that’s not me.  I’m just a regular guy.  Regular guys don’t carry guns.  Regular guys carry combs.  My grandfather did.  He always carried a handkerchief and a comb.  He worked hard and took care of his family.  He never bothered anyone.  He was a good neighbor, a good man.  He gave me my first comb.  He brought it for me at the barbershop.  I felt so proud when the barber took it down from the display on the wall.  The sign on the display said “Unbreakable”.   I was just old enough to read it.  In my excitement I didn’t even notice the barber trying to hand me a lollipop.  Fortunately, Grand Pa did and held onto it for me.  Why?  Because he was kind.  Because that’s what regular folk do.  They look out for one another.  They don’t hurt people, or rob them.  They don’t join gangs.  They don’t prey on the weak. They just go about their day trying to earn a living, make ends meet, take care of the ones they love.  That’s all I ever wanted.  I can’t have that anymore.  They changed me.  But I can look out for the regular people.  And that starts with my hands around the neck of the criminal scum who are always looking for their next victim.  Remember my face, it’s the face of every Tom, Dick, and Harry you thought you could walk over.  Well, we’re no longer lying down.  It’s not about waiting for you to throw the first punch anymore.  It’s about me burying my thumb an inch deep in your eye socket.  It’s about me tearing you open from the carotid to the point of your chin before I snap your neck and drop you to the floor like garbage.  The lucky  ones will get to live out what’s left of their lives in a homeless shelter for the disabled.  I’m not a crime fighter, I’m John Q. Public, and we’re turning back the clock, taking back the power, one broken body at a time.

Yeah, there’s two types of people in this world.  I’m the type that carries a comb.   
« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2013 at 6:54pm by Marshal Strong »  

IP Logged

Marshal Strong
Teen Titan

\m/ All hail the Metal!

Re: Regular guys (From the journal of John Q. Public)
Reply #6 - Mar 10th, 2013 at 11:52am
Print Post  
« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2013 at 11:56am by Marshal Strong »  

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #7 - Mar 10th, 2013 at 2:34pm
Print Post  
Mike,

I am absolutely humbled every time I read one of your posts.

And being as my hair is only about 1/4" long I don't use a comb but I dread the Man who does.

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #8 - Mar 10th, 2013 at 4:51pm
Print Post  
Dude you need a therapist . . . a publisher and a therapist. I'm not sure which first.  Wink

Nice character development  Cool

aka Dracos aka DarkStar aka Star Guard

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #9 - Nov 23rd, 2014 at 12:08am
Print Post  

A rare photo of C. Quain.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #10 - Nov 23rd, 2014 at 11:08am
Print Post  

Here is a photo of a young  Colbanus Quain off to  a Jr High School Dance.  He was a bit shy as  youth and wore the mask as a means to distance himself from the girls he was so terrified of.   In retrospect, a bigger deal should have been made of this incident.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #11 - Nov 23rd, 2014 at 11:13am
Print Post  
Holy Shit.......

IP Logged

>