Normal Topic Uhm... Thats Illegal Too you know! (Read 906 times)
Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

"Justice Like Lightning!"

Uhm... Thats Illegal Too you know!
Oct 23rd, 2012 at 11:40am
Print Post  
Hey, I don't know if I'm missing this but I've noticed something ...left out of Chapter 5, Section 5.5 'Trials and Tribulations' in the V&V Revised Edition Core Rules. 

They spent and entire chapter on laws and regulations but completely ignored ANY ordinance on sexual assault?  Is this intentional or an oversight?  That's illegal too you know!!! 

I know this is a game and supposed to be at least PG-13 but it seems ...a slight to the seriousness of rape and sexual exploitation to not even hint at such crimes ... even in a 'say no more' tame regulation like part of the assault regulations.

Its a glaring omission - if they are going to write an ENTIRE CHAPTER on crime regulations!  Heck they even include Gambling offenses... but no prostitution or exploitation of a minor?

If I were female I'd kinda feel slighted its not even 'tamely' addressed as illegal!  Its like its not a crime at all ... not that ONLY females are subject to sexual assault but it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth that its not even slightly 'say no more' even addressed.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it or am I missing the four-color rule that there is no sex and certainly no illegal or forced sex in the silver age-comic code?

Some of the NPC's that have been published as free downloads from the FGU site... have some unhidden sexual overtones.  So I'm not seeing a comic code from them.  What is the message FGU is sending?
« Last Edit: Oct 23rd, 2012 at 11:43am by Thunderbolt »  

"...No amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."
GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Re: Uhm... Thats Illegal Too you know!
Reply #1 - Oct 23rd, 2012 at 1:34pm
Print Post  
Thunderbolt wrote on Oct 23rd, 2012 at 11:40am:
Its a glaring omission - if they are going to write an ENTIRE CHAPTER on crime regulations!  Heck they even include Gambling offenses... but no prostitution or exploitation of a minor?

Hi T-bolt, let me explain something about the 'laws' section, some little-known kibitzing:
*The rules in the Revised Edition for the statutes, etc., in that section weren't actually written by Jeff or Jack, but were actually specifically written/copyrighted by Scott and a co-writer (who was an ex-policeman) from existing laws for use with a game called Gangsters (FGU 1977, cops and robbers) set in the 30s/prohibition era.

Jack and Jeff merely borrowed them (with permission for their Revised 1982 draft, without permission for the 2010 MHG draft 2.1) because they thought it would be a cool world-building opportunity (hey, a good idea, imo).
I'm sure there was/is no intentional omission of the sort of laws you are concerned about by anyone and, also, I am sure that no one involved ever thought there would need to be an emphasis (in 1982?!) on the importance that those kind of laws have now.

On the free downloads, while Jade Spider certainly may have sex appeal, she is fully clothed.  I can cop to wanting her to appear sexy, what can I say, I like beautiful women. Wink

I cannot speak for anyone else on that matter and could agree to some of the overt tones you may see on other downloads, although, I must say again there is no specific agenda to push sexuality or perversion from FGU or any of its authors of which I am aware.

Nowadays, there are solid plans to produce a rules update/companion/upgrade and that can certainly be addressed, as well as other things that aren't specifically covered in the section that gives the GM a set of 'local' laws.

« Last Edit: Oct 23rd, 2012 at 8:35pm by AlabasterKnight »  

If it's not fun, we're not doing it right.

IP Logged

Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

"Justice Like Lightning!"

Re: Uhm... Thats Illegal Too you know!
Reply #2 - Oct 24th, 2012 at 1:53am
Print Post  
Ok.  Yeah that clears it up.  I forget... we have all become a little jaded and paranoid about such things with our modern views on such heinous crimes... I think they are more 'real' to us today, not that they were not real threats back in 1982 but it was just not a topic addressed as 'fair-game' for comics... they are a harsh reality of today and the stuff of nightmares... made real.

"...No amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."
GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

>