Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Favorite NPCs (Read 4543 times)
John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Favorite NPCs
Apr 16th, 2013 at 10:52pm
Print Post  
  Even though the GM plays all the NPCs  some of them stand out.   Over the years  I have two off the top of my head that my players loved.   They tried to get me to bring them into the game as much as possible.  And the funny thing is, they were generic security guards with no real sheets until they became regulars.   Both of them were with my New Mexico Group.

First was Shitter.  He was a security guard when the PCs were all assigned to a moon of Jupiter  ( They played 60 years in the future  from my current group.)   Shitter was a lovable asshole that looked like Bill Paxton from  Weird Science.   He was gung ho, loyal, and loved to describe his bowel movements in excruciating  detail.
    When the players financed their own super team, they hired Shitter as their security guard.  They spend inventing points on making him armor and weapons.   Soon Shitter was a full fledged member of their team and was killed in action.   They then found out that Shitter spend all his money on his mother, who was dying of cancer.   So the super team pooled their inventing points trying to find a cure for her.  When she died, it was the saddest game ever.

Gus Gustoffersen was also a security guard, who was also an asshole.   But not a beloved one.  He was incompetent, always eating, and quick to insult.   They loved to hate him.   He always seemed to get fired and pop up at other places that the Heroes just happened to be.   They cheered when he ranked on them with the stupidest insults.  "who are you supposed to be?  Asshole Man?  Did you drive the Asshole Mobile here today?"  "What is your super power?  I bet it being a real jerk."        Gus kind of was forgotten about in later games.   He never really had a proper send off.
« Last Edit: Apr 16th, 2013 at 10:55pm by John »  

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Re: Favorite NPCs
Reply #1 - Apr 18th, 2013 at 10:04pm
Print Post  
Any others????

IP Logged

Matt
Justice Leaguer

Super hero role-playing
& Bronze Age comics fan

Reply #2 - May 16th, 2013 at 10:52pm
Print Post  
Shitter! What a name...I can see Chet from Weird Science and I'm laughing aloud.

Ah, now if only it were Lisa from Weird Science...

IP Logged

Thanoseid
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #3 - May 17th, 2013 at 12:48am
Print Post  
Lets see some stats

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #4 - May 19th, 2013 at 3:04pm
Print Post  
From the same time period there was Mote.  She was the sidekick of Micro Woman who was an ally of the Titans ( that was their team name).  She was killed so they adopted Mote as their mascot.

The problem was, no one ever saw her.  She was trapped at the size of a dust mote.   Every once in a while something would happen in battle that they attributed to her.  She could fly and still retained the full strength of a teenaged girl.  So her 1d3 damage was sometimes noticed in battle.

She was killed when  the Rift, a character run by Jason, rolled a 20 and she as caught in the stray blast.  The really sad part was that no one noticed for a few adventures that their "poltergeist" was no longer with them.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #5 - Jul 4th, 2013 at 5:42pm
Print Post  
Do you have a current Favorite from this game that is running?

I have a few that have come up over the past few years from both sides of the coin and some villains I miss who are just waiting to strike when we least expect it.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #6 - Jul 4th, 2013 at 8:45pm
Print Post  
So tell us, that is what this thread is about.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #7 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 10:57pm
Print Post  
Joe Turner AKA Nexus. My favorite "Scene" for lack of a better term was when The Oni ended up coming out of His Closet in CHESS Headquarters somehow. Still have not figured that one out.

Nexus' Transition from that time and I guess before that up to now has really been interesting to watch. From severe drug addict due to the "Voices" to him becoming comatose after a severe beating and now completely free since I guess he is basically dead. More powerful as he transitions I guess and so much more freedom.

Still no one knows who gave him that beating either. Another mystery not solved but I am really curious if it was the "bad" guys or someone else closer to him.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #8 - Jul 7th, 2013 at 10:26am
Print Post  
Raymond Phelps. As a recurring Villian who is constantly cahnging abilities but each of them still having something to do with the Name "Ray".

Ray Gun
Manta Ray
X Ray
Gamma Ray

Not sure if I am missing one. Just the personality of this NPC alone is quite a bit of fun and the changing powers tens to keep us on our toes.

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Graak kill Blue Skins! />

Reply #9 - Jul 7th, 2013 at 10:49am
Print Post  
Death Ray too. And wasn't he in the sun when we were taking on the Moevian Sun Killers? I expect Solar Ray anytime now....

I love the Octopus, because he was also The Blue Blood

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #10 - Jul 7th, 2013 at 1:16pm
Print Post  
Death Ray!! I knew I forgot one.

Loved the Octopus

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #11 - Jul 7th, 2013 at 7:54pm
Print Post  
The Secret Shogun AKA Johnny West.

I know he was around well before I started playing again so I missed quite a bit of his history.

A really detailed back round and a ultra bad ass. This character and any stories I had PC's involved in were incredibly twisted.

I remember The Oni (Yoshi at the time) threw up on him when he fist saw him. I just love my 20's it seems. Go through the whole long series of adventures to find out in the end he is not really the Bad Guy per say as all he was trying to do was take down the real Evil Doers. Problem was He killed just about everyone, Good or Bad, along the way. He was of course totally insane.

Probably my Favorite so far, next to No Name of course..........
« Last Edit: Jul 7th, 2013 at 7:55pm by THE ONI »  

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #12 - Jul 7th, 2013 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
Dr. Graymatter.

Only had really one or two Adventures with Him but I am waiting for His re emergence. The whole Yig thing is getting ready to tie in sometime soon I think.

So far The Greenlandic Sagas fell into place but there must be so much more coming.

John,

So much Evil for you to do, So little time.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #13 - Jul 13th, 2013 at 3:59pm
Print Post  
Cabbie but that was way back when we were kids.

Basically a Cab driver that looked like Ernest Borgnine. The Dark Warrior AKA Wally Spec would hook up with him for information and the occasional cab ride. A little strange since Waly could fly but what the Heck.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #14 - Aug 18th, 2013 at 1:25pm
Print Post  
The Sun Chained In Ink was only around for one Adventure. He fought The Oni and blew up when he came in contact with the sea water.

It was however one of the coolest names ever.

Not sure if any other PC ever went up against him.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #15 - Mar 29th, 2016 at 8:00am
Print Post  
The Velvet Fox:  just imagine a Paris Hilton/Kim Kardashian type rich girl by day, semi car burglerler / vigilante by night. 

She has no powers, just training. Her story is involved with three different characters, and none of them know the same parts. Lots of fun.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #16 - Mar 29th, 2016 at 8:22pm
Print Post  
Kid Nemesis: Romantic Interest

The Suit: Business Interest

Dick Dante: She stabbed him in the friggin neck. Just business of course.

IP Logged

Klystron
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Mar 30th, 2016 at 8:26am
Print Post  
SAMANTHA or more properly, Synergistic Advanced Modeling Adaptive Non-linear Tunneling Heuristic Algorithm.

SAMANTHA is a sentient computer program who operates the headquarters of the group my players have joined. Sam is alive and developing as a person. She is still in her adolescence and as such, she can be playful, moody, emotional and quite frankly, sometimes bitchy.  She is fiercely loyal to those of whom she approves and will snub those she does not.

Because she is sentient, she can override her advanced programming but is as much a slave to her fundamental construction as humans are. She lies when it furthers her mission or if she has sufficient reason.

SAMANTHA is a lot of fun to play but mostly, she is a plausible way to deliver necessary information or help to the players in advancing the story. Sam was modeled after computers in Heinlein novels, Mike from The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress, Minerva from Time Enough For Love and Athena from The Cat Who Walks Through Walls. Like Minerva, it may be that someday her essence will be transferred to a corporeal body.  It depends on how well it advances the story and if there is sufficient reason.
« Last Edit: Mar 30th, 2016 at 8:29am by »  

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #18 - Mar 30th, 2016 at 11:44am
Print Post  
Nicely done, Klystron!

IP Logged

Klystron
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Mar 30th, 2016 at 8:03pm
Print Post  
Thank you, Majestic.  Sam was a fix to guiding the game in context because the players are, well, less the strict followers of the Hero Code. They could never get police sanction.  They have, however, been recruited by a well-known  but retired super-hero who acts as advisor and mentor.  SAMANTHA runs his organization, which is actually a front for a government agency that uses super-powered people to combat super-villains and other threats.

Sam indulges my desire to play as well as GM and FSM help you if you piss her off. She has a low sense of humor and a teenage girl's desire for revenge.

IP Logged

merteuil
Teen Titan

Reply #20 - Apr 3rd, 2016 at 11:03am
Print Post  
i think this is a great idea  !!  Smiley

IP Logged

>