Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Absorption (Read 4694 times)
Thanoseid
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Absorption
May 14th, 2013 at 3:12pm
Print Post  
Playing a game and a character of mine has absorption. My GM doesn't really know how to rule absorption yet and think he's dumbing the power down too much. Would like other more experience GMs advice on Absorption. Also would other powers like willpower, body power or mutation can make the power more powerful. Let me know

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Re: Absorption
Reply #1 - May 14th, 2013 at 3:46pm
Print Post  
Welcome to the forum (and I love your name, Thanoseid!) Smiley

As for Absorption, it is one of the trickier powers in the game.  Even recently (and I've been GMing this game regularly for over 30 years) I've had to work with a couple of PCs in toning down their characters, both as a result of this power.

My simplest recommendations would be:

- Require it to cost an action to absorb (preferably a "saved action" by the character).

- Set hard limits in what can be absorbed (and what happens if that limit is exceded).

- Don't allow this to combo with Heightened Agility or Heightened Speed (which allow for more actions, which lead to abuse).

- Until you've got a great grasp on the game, I'd hold off on allowing the absorption of other super powers.  If you do allow it, you might consider limiting it to a single one at a time (to avoid serious power creep).

One of our current PCs started out a character with Absorption that required him to have a saved action or to successfully hit (HTH) with a special attack.  This proved too weak, and when he finally returned to playing the character I allowed much more.  To date he can hold three super powers, and to give you an idea of how powerful he is, he just chose to drop Power Blast x2 (which started at 2d20 damage).

So it's one of those that you really need to be cautious with.  And be careful (like you mention) with the other open-ended powers, too, in combination with it.

IP Logged

Thanoseid
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #2 - May 14th, 2013 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
Cool, that sounds like good advice.

And thanks, big fan of Thanos and ofcourse darkseid.

So if you could tell me how you came to allowing him to absorb three powers that would help. Also are they permement and he gets rid of one to replace another? Or is it by order you revive them? 

Got to say I've been missing out on this game. Been having real fun playing and even the randomness of making characters which is completely knew to me. Have played and DM DnD and have GMd Star Wars before but never a game with the choose of complete random character making, mad fun.

Thanks again Majestic

IP Logged

Descrud
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #3 - May 15th, 2013 at 3:55am
Print Post  
If you like random character making then check out Traveller.

The thing about the open ended powers is that if the gm agrees to it, it's legal. that said they should always have the ability to tweak it as needed or change how it works altogether(you don't want a character so strong that it makes it less fun for everyone).

I made a character that can absorb sunlight and other radiation. Between every turn, if in strong sunlight he can gain his level (max 5) in power, also any damage that is light or radiation in origin will add its damage to his power.

To offset how strong this is i built his absorption into his weakness. If you overcharge him he will end up taking damage between turns instead of gaining power (basically the radiation burns him up from inside) and will have to burn it off before he dies (losing all HP while overcharged will kill him)

"No, you can't slip a smite evil into a pillow fight."

IP Logged

Thanoseid
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #4 - May 15th, 2013 at 4:56am
Print Post  
I likie leekie. More I want more

Well what you think about absorbing powers. Should it be a time period thing. But what if you want have permement power stealing. How many should you have as a max. Maybe only absorbing your level worth and only allowed to use half or a forth of the powers you've absorbed? 

Food for thought?

IP Logged

Thanoseid
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #5 - May 15th, 2013 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
This is a power I found so far

1. Absorption: Energy Absorption, Powers/Abilities, and Memories: R=Touch. Note: Absorbed powers fade after 24 hours (they gradually become weaker), but, he retains his victim's memories.
2. Absorption: Life Force Energy (Hit Points): Absorbed hit points go to boost his own.
3. Transformation: Shapeshifting: Linked to Absorption. Parasite can mimic his victims down to the genetic level.

Note: Absorbed powers fade after 24 hours (they gradually become weaker), but, he retains his victim's memories.

Energy Absorption: By spending an action Prism can absorb energy based attacks, storing the energy for later use. Absorbed damage is stored as additional Power. The maximum amount of damage that may be absorbed is = to his Power score. Absorbed damage is stored as Power, and may be used in one of two ways.

Absorption: Kinetic Energy: Absorbed energy can be used to boost his STR and END. The exact limits of his powers have not been tested, but it is know that a powerful enough blow will incapacitate him

IP Logged

Descrud
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #6 - May 15th, 2013 at 10:23pm
Print Post  
Thanoseid wrote on May 15th, 2013 at 3:25pm:
Absorption: Kinetic Energy: Absorbed energy can be used to boost his STR and END. The exact limits of his powers have not been tested, but it is know that a powerful enough blow will incapacitate him

This one is a little tricky, id give the energy as bonus damage (one shot) instead of STR or END as that's a lot of book keeping.

as for how long you can keep the powers absorbed or how many you can have, that's all up to the GM. Remember the GM's job is to balance everything so it'd prolly depend on how strong the other players are. If it's a villain that as the power it's strength will be based on how dicky the GM is feeling.

"No, you can't slip a smite evil into a pillow fight."

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #7 - May 15th, 2013 at 10:32pm
Print Post  
Powers has to touch flesh, and last E turns and can only absorb as many powers as he has levels.  I 20 is rolled, looses all absorbed powers, AND absorbs ALL weakness of target.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #8 - May 15th, 2013 at 10:34pm
Print Post  
Absorb Energy: Each dose of the power gives the character the ability to absorb ONE type of energy.   Must spent one movement point per point of damage absorbed.   

Keep in mind that is harsh in my game as you spend movement to roll will punches 1:1 ratio, and each time you use evasion, you also spend that amount of movement as you get a minus.  So movement points are not to be spend willy nilly.

IP Logged

Thanoseid
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #9 - May 15th, 2013 at 11:16pm
Print Post  

Keep in mind that is harsh in my game as you spend movement to roll will punches 1:1 ratio, and each time you use evasion, you also spend that amount of movement as you get a minus.  So movement points are not to be spend willy nilly. [/quote]

Speaking of spending movement, if one has heightened speed does that count with let's say ice power armor. Example when a character has 75 ground movement, with heightened speed +100 let's say and the ice power. When he puts up armor can he put up only 75 and still can move at a 100 or can put up 100 armor and can move only 75. Your comments are always useful. Thanks

IP Logged

Thanoseid
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #10 - May 15th, 2013 at 11:19pm
Print Post  
Descrud wrote on May 15th, 2013 at 10:23pm:
Thanoseid wrote on May 15th, 2013 at 3:25pm:

This one is a little tricky, id give the energy as bonus damage (one shot) instead of STR or END as that's a lot of book keeping.

as for how long you can keep the powers absorbed or how many you can have, that's all up to the GM. Remember the GM's job is to balance everything so it'd prolly depend on how strong the other players are. If it's a villain that as the power it's strength will be based on how dicky the GM is feeling.

Yea you have to think that this type of absorption is like Sebastian shaws power but I know it probably needs work

IP Logged

xhaosdaemon
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #11 - May 15th, 2013 at 11:36pm
Print Post  
Technically the book doesn't differentiate what types of damage one can absorb, but I know John likes to run a tight ship. That being said even if you can absorb ALL damage the rules are pretty specific about using a saved action to be able to absorb incoming attacks so one has to pick between attacking and absorbing. Also, since it is based on saved actions if you are attacked more times than you have saved actions you can't absorb the additional damage.

I have a hero in a PbP game that can absorb ALL damage (except for mental/gas) and hold a potential up to 3x his hit points (he has 36 hp). He can spend it 3 different ways; a powerblast-like attack that costs 5 points of stored damage for 1d10 and 10 points of damage for 2d10, a straight damage bonus to HTH attacks of 1 point of stored damage per point of damage bonus (with a 15 point cap for amount released), or increasing his carrying capacity for 1 turn which costs 1 damage point per 100 lbs. of additional carrying capacity. I know that sounds like a lot but he still has to make decisions and can be overpowered by attacks beyond his saved actions.

Also this guy only has 3 powers (Absorbtion, Heightened Agility A, and Willpower A) so the GM was willing to work with me to tweak the few powers he has. The GM also started the group at level 4.

IP Logged

Thanoseid
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #12 - May 15th, 2013 at 11:51pm
Print Post  
Absorption (Energy Storage and Conversion)
The character can absorb particle, radiation and kinetic energy and store it in his body. Particle and radiation energy can be converted and redirected as a Power Blast attack at any later time. Kinetic energy can be converted into short bursts of pure strength. The character can store 10 points of each energy type per level. Energy can be retained indefinitely. The character suffers no damage as long as he can absorb the energy. When his battery is full, the character takes damage normally.
Stored particle and radiation energy can be channeled into a Power Blast attack doing 1d4, 1d6, 1d8, 1d10, 1d12, 2d8 or 1d20 damage. The number of stored points which are drained from the storage pool are 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8 and 10 respectively.
Stored kinetic energy can be channeled into Carrying Capacity. Expending one point of stored energy boosts Carrying Capacity by 100 pounds for the remainder of that turn and the entire next turn. Carrying Capacity returns to normal during the following between-turns phase.

IP Logged

Thanoseid
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #13 - May 15th, 2013 at 11:54pm
Print Post  
I posted this one cuz it sound familiar to yours except you al get hit points. Bout to post another I found with this one.

IP Logged

Thanoseid
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #14 - May 15th, 2013 at 11:54pm
Print Post  
I like this one. Reminds me of Crusher Creel

Absorption (Physical Structure)
By contact, the character can absorb the physical properties of any substance he touches. Among other effects, the character gains a Structural Rating equal to the substance (subtract SR points of damage from all attacks against the character). The character's weight is multiplied by the SR of the substance. With the additional weight, the character's Carrying Capacity and Basic Hits increase, and his Agility is reduced. Agility reduction affects only initiative, Accuracy and Damage bonuses. At no time does the character's Power, Hit Points or Movement score change. The character retains the new form as long as desired, but reverts to normal if rendered unconscious or incapacitated.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #15 - May 16th, 2013 at 2:27pm
Print Post  
Thanoseid wrote on May 14th, 2013 at 4:08pm:
Cool, that sounds like good advice.

And thanks, big fan of Thanos and ofcourse darkseid.

So if you could tell me how you came to allowing him to absorb three powers that would help. Also are they permement and he gets rid of one to replace another? Or is it by order you revive them? 

Got to say I've been missing out on this game. Been having real fun playing and even the randomness of making characters which is completely knew to me. Have played and DM DnD and have GMd Star Wars before but never a game with the choose of complete random character making, mad fun.

Thanks again Majestic

You're welcome, and sorry I wasn't able to answer this sooner (was sick yesterday).

I agree with Descrud, FWIW - I'd avoid absorbing things that muck with S and E (or anything else that changes HP) to avoid tons of bookkeeping at the table.

The way we came up with a maximum number was establishing that it was based on his Intelligence.  So 1/10th Intelligence.  He used to be in the lower 20's, but he's trained in I to get it to 25 (to round up to 3).  That's just something the player and GM (me) established back when making the character.

IP Logged

Thanoseid
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #16 - May 16th, 2013 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
Sweet. I like I like very smart. Ya man I've been sick too since Tuesday, not cool.

Makes sense to be able to hold that down like that.
Now for the absorption power that gives you str and end. I probably remove end and just give it the ability to absorb str and not adjust the hit points at all just maybe carrying capacity and or HTH. Either way I'm going to present that to my GM and see what's good. He's still new to the game himself and is a new GM overall but he has imagination and can read lol. We have had a couple sessions going on our fourth this weekend so I can't wait to get some dice in.

Thanks for the help guys. Any other absorption powers out there ill be thankful for them.

Thanoseid

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #17 - May 16th, 2013 at 9:33pm
Print Post  
If you build ice armor, you spend movement. Now that movement point doesn't come back until the ice is gone.

So if you spend 50 movement  points to build 50 adr, that movement doesn't come back until you lose the armor.   

Think of it like this, you are slow and plodding due to the layers of ice caked up on you.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #18 - May 16th, 2013 at 11:46pm
Print Post  
Good idea on just increasing the CC, Thanoseid (that's a much easier way to do it).

Oh, and if you (and your GM) haven't heard about it already, the combination of Ice Powers (more specifically Ice Armor) with Heightened Speed (or any boost to movement) and/or Heightened Agility is a most annoying wicked and broken combo that shouldn't be allowed.  You've been warned! Smiley

IP Logged

Thanoseid
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #19 - May 17th, 2013 at 12:31am
Print Post  
Lol yea we've noticed. He actually came off noticing that right when I started cheering ice power with my Neutral character Lilith. She's deadly and was my first ice power character. So I was flying around cuz she has wings and was starting to realize  how deadly ice was. I put on ice armor thinking cuz I have a lot of speed with my flight and having the armor would just help me not take damage. Once he realized that I was not getting hit and was able to fly around he mad it so that my ground speed is the only thing that my ice armor is based off so no cheese there. But ice is by far one of the deadliest powers

IP Logged

Thanoseid
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #20 - May 20th, 2013 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on May 16th, 2013 at 2:27pm:
[quote author=4A6F7C7A66235D6B7C67617B7D0E0 link=1368558724/2#2 date=1368562122]

The way we came up with a maximum number was establishing that it was based on his Intelligence.  So 1/10th Intelligence.  He used to be in the lower 20's, but he's trained in I to get it to 25 (to round up to 3).  That's just something the player and GM (me) established back when making the character.

Yea so I used that rule the other day. I GMd for a couple friends just to fool around. One of them had absorption power and I let him use his Intellegance/10 to have that many powers to absorb. I think his intell is 38 so he was able to absorb 4 powers based on that rule. Which I like by the way. But I added a rule myself that a fellow GM came up with. He can only hold the power based on his endurance equal to days. So if he has a 20 endurance he can only have the power for 20 days. One of this other powers was willpower and I allowed him to be able to make a endurance check every time the power is about to expire. So if like I said he has a 20 endurance, then he has to roll 1D100 and roll 20 and below in order for him to keep the powers he absorb.

Thanks for the help on making this power make sense now. Makes the power fun to play with and at the same time easy to loose the powers.

If we every play again, I made a tough SOB that has a body power which makes her immune to absorption lol can't wait to look on his face haha

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #21 - May 20th, 2013 at 7:59pm
Print Post  
Or, you can giver her the same power!

Rogue of the X-Men vs Rogue of the X-Men!   Tongue

IP Logged

Thanoseid
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #22 - May 21st, 2013 at 1:41am
Print Post  
Rogue is a special case. I feel more like she has soul absorption. She can absorb people's powers but at the same time their life. Yet the powers adventuly fade but their memories linger. But if she wanted to keep their powers all she have to do is suck them dead or into a coma like she did to ms marvel.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #23 - May 21st, 2013 at 1:45pm
Print Post  
Back in the day (early 80's) our V&V team fought the X-Men, and Rogue was indeed a powerhouse.

One tactic that for some reason she never really did in the comics (at least not regularly; I think she might have done something similar once): She could use her Absorption to go around and take just enough to gain the superpowers of each teammate.  Thus she could control the weather, teleport, regenerate, have super strength, optic blasts, etc.!  Shocked

Keeping PCs from using the same tactics requires there to be some built-in conditions or safeguards, for play balance.

IP Logged

Thanoseid
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #24 - May 21st, 2013 at 2:48pm
Print Post  
Yea she's crazy powerful. My boy was telling me of a comic where rogue went against the xmen and a couple other squads. She completely destroyed everyone by herself.

Otherwise if she went around touching everyone they would get knocked out only wolverine was capable of withstanding her touch.

I'm actually surprised that my friend who had absorption didn't right off the jump try to absorb his fellow team mates powers. He only did it to villains. I also made him roll random for the person he touched to get a random power

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #25 - May 22nd, 2013 at 5:09pm
Print Post  
Yeah, we do random as well (but limit it to true "powers", so eliminating skills, devices, and the like from the possibilities).

I wouldn't allow one PC to go around absorbing all of their teammates' powers.  I'd simply tell them that "curiously enough, it only seems to work when you're truly attacking someone on the field of battle, and then it only works against opponents".  Smiley  Otherwise you can end up with the situation like what you describe with Rogue.  Shocked

IP Logged

Thanoseid
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #26 - May 22nd, 2013 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
Yea for sure only absorb powers. Unless its someone like AMAZO well at least in the JLU version he was able to absorb I think about everything.

I think skills might be an exception don't know tho

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #27 - May 31st, 2013 at 9:48am
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on May 22nd, 2013 at 5:09pm:
Yeah, we do random as well (but limit it to true "powers", so eliminating skills, devices, and the like from the possibilities).

I wouldn't allow one PC to go around absorbing all of their teammates' powers.  I'd simply tell them that "curiously enough, it only seems to work when you're truly attacking someone on the field of battle, and then it only works against opponents".  Smiley  Otherwise you can end up with the situation like what you describe with Rogue.  Shocked

From a game-balance standpoint I think this makes sense. I've thought about similar limitatations on characters who might absorb incoming damage to gain stronger; it only works when the character is attacked by opponents.
« Last Edit: May 31st, 2013 at 9:48am by polarboy »  

IP Logged

Thanoseid
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #28 - May 31st, 2013 at 11:35am
Print Post  
Recently been thinking, that depending on what table they roll on that the absorption power should just work for that table. Puts a little different aspect on the game. Like powers for powers. Devices the only way a person can absorb powers is by taking the device from an opponent and absorbing the technology. Magic can only absorb magic as well, could use the same rule as device. Something I've been thinking off

IP Logged

>