Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Board To Death! (Read 71686 times)
John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Re: Board To Death!
Reply #280 - Dec 10th, 2016 at 11:32pm
Print Post  
Guardians Chronicles

This is a miniatures "dungeon crawl" style game with a super hero theme.  One player plays the villain, and up to four others play the heroes.

The heroes are the Liberty Patrol, the main villain is Dr. Skarov, a Dr. Doom type guy with hi tech and endless robots.

The rule book is an absolute mess, so thank god for fan rewrites.     I have been dying to play this game for a while.

The heroes have their own deck of cards, the pick one or two cards to play, and where they place them gives them a power or a boost, or both.   

The villain plays either event cards or boosts to himself, his lieutenants or his endless robot minions.

Then one hero goes, then the villain, then a hero, then the villain etc...

Then at  the end, the villain gets to activate one of the traps on the board.  Everyone discards their cards and it starts over.

When a hero takes three  would cards, they are knocked out and out of the game.

The villain can only win if he knocks out all the heroes.  The heroes win if they stop the villain's plans and capture the villain.  Its a stalemate if they stop his plans but the villain escapes.

So the first time I played,  the heroes were crushing me.   I finally figured out how everything worked, and proceeded to whoop ass.

They deactivated my nukes, so no WW3, so boo hoo there, but then I KOed all the heroes, so Dr. Skarov escaped.

Then you get to build a front page of the Guardian Chronicles newspaper.  This is based on the events of the game.  Its a fun neat feature.

The game is a beast to figure out, and we are a bit rusty with the rules, but I think next play is going to go great.

I would give it a B.

Here is the board at the beginning.

This is the front page of the paper at the end of the game. I love this part of the game. Its goofy fun.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #281 - Dec 11th, 2016 at 12:04am
Print Post  
Should I assume you played the part of Dr Skarov?

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #282 - Dec 11th, 2016 at 12:07am
Print Post  
Yes.  Complete with Ham Action.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #283 - Dec 29th, 2016 at 6:15pm
Print Post  
An expansion for Abaddon is coming out this year.  It adds a commander and upgrades.

I will be getting that!

IP Logged

Lord Inar
Justice Leaguer

Reply #284 - Jan 31st, 2017 at 10:23am
Print Post  
John wrote on Dec 29th, 2016 at 6:15pm:
An expansion for Abaddon is coming out this year.  It adds a commander and upgrades.

I will be getting that!

Sadly, I don't think it's going to happen:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/toyvaultinc/abaddon-shattered-command-a-tab...

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #285 - Jan 31st, 2017 at 3:43pm
Print Post  
We've been playing more board games lately.  The other day one of our RPG group couldn't make it, and we decided to do board games instead.  We played Nobody But Us Chickens, Settlers of Cataan, and a couple of games of King of Tokyo.

The next day my friend and I went to a game store; I picked up The Hand of the King, an expansion for Marvel Munchkin, The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game, and Star Trek: Cataan.  My friend got the Cthulhu version of Pandemic (crazy, but I'd suggested in the car the day before that it would be cool if they made a Cthulhu version of Pandemic!) and Betrayal at House on the Hill.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #286 - Feb 1st, 2017 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
Cthulhu Pandemic is the best version!

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #287 - Feb 13th, 2017 at 7:40pm
Print Post  
Miskatonic School For Girls

I bought this game a few years ago.  I snatched it up when I was buying any Lovecraft related game.  Due to poor reviews, I didn't open it up.  It sat on my shelf, sealed in plastic for three years.

After playing a game that had bad reviews and enjoying it (Masmorra)  I decided to go back at skipped over games.

So I read the rules to this and it didn't seem like it would be fun.

I left it along for a few more weeks.  I finally got it to the table at my game group and we had a blast!

I also have the expansion, Holiday Break, and I think it really adds to the basic game and makes it better.

You start out with a  deck of 12 cards.  You draw five cards,  you have hearts and night mares.  You can buy one student, which does in your purchase pile, and you can buy one teacher, which goes to the player to your left's purchase pile.   Then you put all the students you drew in to your discard pile.
   You then put all  the teachers you drew into your classroom.  Now class begins.  You draw one card per teacher.   You compare strengths and if you have more you beat the teachers, who go to your discard pile.  If your teachers have more, you lose sanity.

If you lose all your sanity, you are eliminated.

Also, if you draw more teachers when class is in session, you can send them to  the discard pile of any player you wish.

Some cards have specific text granted powers but this is basically the game.

It sounds dull, but it turned out to be more fun than expected.  We loved the art and the silly Lovecraft inspired names.    Its pretty much a take that kind of game, but a step up from say, Munchkin.

Its a decent game, one I will be breaking out once in a while.    It was a slow start, but once we all got going, it went pretty quick.  And three of us were eliminated one right after another, so no one sat around too long.

Would I recommend it?  Only if you really liked the theme.  There are plenty of better take that games, like Smash Up, or Gloom.   But if you like the idea of a deck building take that, Lovecraft type thing, than I would give it a try.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #288 - Apr 8th, 2017 at 1:24am
Print Post  

Jimmy and I decided tonight to run a semi campaign game of Battlelore.  He is the asshole Chaos fuckers, while I am the noble Daqan good guys.

While he beat me tonight by two points,  it  was neck and neck.  I didn't use the new units to the best of their abilities, but you learn. 

So the Mustering of the Militia at the Cursed Glen, as the battle will be known as from hear on out, was lost too Chaos.

We will keep the story going until one person loses by elimination.  Which is, they lose all their units.   

THEN

The loser takes the third faction,  the UNDEAD and we battle once again.  Then we will continue the story until one is eliminated.

Should be fun.
« Last Edit: Apr 8th, 2017 at 1:54am by John »  

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #289 - Apr 8th, 2017 at 10:00am
Print Post  
My daughter was still awake when I got home last night. I advised her of my Victory but sadly also that Johns Golems shattered the skulls and smashed the spines of our beloved Flesh Ripper Brutes.

Her only comment. "Oh, No! How Sad!!"

So adorable.  Smiley

( I also called them Flesh Ripper Beasts. She of course corrected me to Flesh Ripper Brutes)

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #290 - Apr 8th, 2017 at 10:14am
Print Post  
Did you tell her of the Slaughtering of the Battlemages?

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #291 - Apr 8th, 2017 at 10:46am
Print Post  
It was late. I did not want to get her bloodlust too worked up.

I think it will make her happy though later on today.

You know how much she loves slaughtering Battle Mages.

So Cute

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #292 - Apr 17th, 2017 at 8:32am
Print Post  
Warrior Knights is easily one of my new favorites.  It's actually an older game, first edition is from 1985 ! 

The new Fantasy Flight edition is the one I have. It's sadly out of print and will cost over a hundred bucks on eBay. And the expansion easily another hundred.

It's been called medieval Twilight Imperium for a reason. And I agree. It's a epic game of war, politics, science, religion and economics.

The king is dead and his barons are squabbling over the throne. Moving is slow, war is iffy and the nation is in chaos.

You have to take cities by force; while staying faithful to the church, while manipulating the assembly to pass legislation benifitcial to you ( or at least get bribes for votes ).  You walk a tightrope, balancing the size of the armies with your income. Do you risk a fight with a neighboring baron? Do you let him gather influence? So much to plan.

And the best part? It's easy to learn and teach!

Every player gets action cards. You pick two cards to play and we all put them in a pile with two neutral actions ( three if we use the expansion ) shuffle the deck and then do this two more times. So each round each player has six actions, but they are never sure exactly when their actions will happen.

Each card tells you what you can do.  It's that easy.

But it's not that easy....
Each card after its played goes to one of three piles; economics which triggers taxes when full, politics, which triggers elections, and military which triggers mustering.

So each action can have two consequences. To you want to do a military action even though it might trigger mustering, which means not only paying your troops but hiring more for EVERYONE!

You put ten points per player in a pool and at the end of each round you dole out points based on cards and cities controlled. When the points are gone it's the last round . Most points win.

So many sub games on the main game.   Do you want to focus on religion and be th head of the church? If so you can take or give divine favors. You can punish the wicked or threaten to, unless they redeem themselves with a small contribution..

Do you focus on politics and vote yourself a nice wine concession with pays out every turn? Do you take a nice office that just happens to gov you a nice garrison?

Or with the expansion to you focus on science and build siege engines or better horseshoes?

So much to do, and once everyone gets a hang of it, it moves quick.

The expansion gives a long game variation where when the game would end a king is crowned, the person who would normally win and is given armies and is nigh unbeatable. But the game goes on till someone gets 16 points.  So unless you are the king, you best team up with the other players to usurp the newly minted monarch.

I could easily see myself playing this game for years. It has everything I want, epic storytelling, variety, many different moving parts all while using relatively few, intuitive rules. Such a great game.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 
Topic Tools

>