Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) First Edition Combat Table (Read 3944 times)
Baretta
Avenger

Former V&V Player

First Edition Combat Table
Mar 3rd, 2014 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
Not everything from the 1979 edition of V&V translates (or holds up well) with the revised rules. But there are a few items on the combat table worth noting.

Here are some of my favorites:

Invisibility is a defense type. I like this. Even if you know where an invisible character is, the fact that you can't see the opponent should still make her harder to hit.

Darkness Control also is an attack type and a defense. I like this as a defense, as characters in darkness or who create a darkness cloud/aura around themselves should be harder too hit. It seems to capture the visual feel of a lot of comics. (The numbers seem to match Light Control, so this would be easy to adapt.)

Body Power has a defense type, which I can see as problematic, since every Body Power might be different -- but it is still fun as an option in a Silver Age kind of way.

Anyone ever try using this chart? Or parts of it?

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Re: First Edition Combat Table
Reply #1 - Mar 3rd, 2014 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
It's been years since I last saw my first edition rules. I like your idea of adding Darkness and Invisibility to the Defense chart. I think it make them more appealing as powers.

As a side note: I think invisibility should cover the full visibile spectrum with maybe a fringe effect a Detect Hidden roll could perceive?

aka Dracos aka DarkStar aka Star Guard

IP Logged

Baretta
Avenger

Former V&V Player

Reply #2 - Mar 3rd, 2014 at 9:14pm
Print Post  
Ranger wrote on Mar 3rd, 2014 at 8:59pm:
As a side note: I think invisibility should cover the full visibile spectrum with maybe a fringe effect a Detect Hidden roll could perceive?

Yes, I think that's how the revised rules describe Invisibility more or less -- covering the full visible spectrum and requiring a det. hidden roll to perceive.

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #3 - Mar 4th, 2014 at 2:09pm
Print Post  
I'm not a GM so I am probably going to get this wrong, but why would Invis be a spearate defense on the chart if you already get a -4 to be hit?  And that is only if they detect you somehow or do an AOE blast and you happen to be in the field?

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself -- Steven Segal

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #4 - Mar 4th, 2014 at 2:10pm
Print Post  
Yep, that's pretty much how Invisibility is described.  And Invisibility does give some defense.  Invisible characters (from 2.0 onward) get a +1 to hit others, and -1 to be hit per turn they are invisible.  Beyond that, the rules say the attacker has to at least have an idea where the invisible character is, to be able to logically attack them.

There are a few fun powers on the 1E chart that I've toyed with using before.  I've really been enjoying my read through that book, and plan on rolling up a character or two soon as well.

IP Logged

Baretta
Avenger

Former V&V Player

Reply #5 - Mar 4th, 2014 at 7:24pm
Print Post  
Paul wrote on Mar 4th, 2014 at 2:09pm:
I'm not a GM so I am probably going to get this wrong, but why would Invis be a spearate defense on the chart if you already get a -4 to be hit?  And that is only if they detect you somehow or do an AOE blast and you happen to be in the field?

You don't get an automatic -4 to hit.

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #6 - Mar 4th, 2014 at 8:57pm
Print Post  
Well like I said, I'm probably going to get this wrong  Tongue

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself -- Steven Segal

IP Logged

Matt
Justice Leaguer

Super hero role-playing
& Bronze Age comics fan

Reply #7 - Mar 4th, 2014 at 9:19pm
Print Post  
I've got a nice boxed set of 1st edition missing only the orange dice (my son has them in his room), but I've never played it as I use 2nd edition. Is the table all that different?

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #8 - Mar 4th, 2014 at 9:32pm
Print Post  
Paul wrote on Mar 4th, 2014 at 8:57pm:
Well like I said, I'm probably going to get this wrong  Tongue

Actually I believe you were referring to a House Rule John has. So in essence you were correct.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #9 - Mar 5th, 2014 at 1:36pm
Print Post  
Matt wrote on Mar 4th, 2014 at 9:19pm:
I've got a nice boxed set of 1st edition missing only the orange dice (my son has them in his room), but I've never played it as I use 2nd edition. Is the table all that different?

It sure it!  Take a look (I've attached a copy).

I've never seen the box for 1E.  What does it have on the cover?

1st_Edition_Combat_Chart.pdf ( 1317 KB | 27 Downloads )

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #10 - Mar 5th, 2014 at 10:42pm
Print Post  
I love that chart. Heightened Constitution and Time Travel as defenses. Woot Smiley

aka Dracos aka DarkStar aka Star Guard

IP Logged

Baretta
Avenger

Former V&V Player

Reply #11 - Mar 5th, 2014 at 10:42pm
Print Post  
Ranger wrote on Mar 5th, 2014 at 10:42pm:
I love that chart. Heightened Constitution and Time Travel as defenses. Woot

!!!

IP Logged

Razor_Fangs
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #12 - Oct 19th, 2015 at 11:39pm
Print Post  
There's one particular thing that bugs me and i can't find an explanation in the manual: i got that when there is nothing on the defense chart you have to use the attacking power's number, but when there's a 0 do i have to count the character as defenseless (given that he hasn't Heightened Defenses, or if i have a particular negative overall attack bonus), and so as an automatic attack?

Thanks for your patience, i never saw a system like this, and even though i like it a lot, i'm completely green about it.
« Last Edit: Oct 20th, 2015 at 2:22am by Razor_Fangs »  

Since the media took over more and more aggressively the american lifestyle, people started to forget about us and our deeds, until we became legends, pure fantasy in their collective imagination...

IP Logged

Klystron
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Oct 20th, 2015 at 6:27pm
Print Post  
Razor Fangs,

First off, welcome to the forum!

The combat table is a little confusing if you are used to a "Roll High" system.  V&V is a "Roll Low" combat system, so a zero means a small chance to hit. So where you have a zero, you add and subtract any modifiers (level differences, proficiencies, facing, etc.) to get the final roll requirement.

Take Adaptation for example. Adaption should work pretty well against Chemical Attacks. The base chance to hit is zero, showing a small chance to be hit but it would not be of much use against Emotion Control, there is no modifier and you use the base (7) for the attack type.

So a 5th level bad guy using a chemical attack against a 2nd level hero with Adaptation would be a base 0 with a +3 modifier due to level difference. Being a bad guy, he is attacking from behind, so he gets another +4 for a final attack modifier of +7, so a roll of 7 or less on a d20 means a successful hit.

Similarly, an Android Body would be pretty susceptible to Chemical Attacks, so the base chance to hit is even greater (15) than normal (11) for Chemical Attacks.

Changing the hero to an Android Body instead of Adaptation, you get a base 15 plus 3 for the level difference plus 4 for attacking from behind for a final roll required to hit at 22 (15+3+4) on a d20 so basically the bad guy only misses on a natural 20.

Most of us abide by the natural 1 always hits and a natural 20 always misses, leaving a 5% chance for either, just to keep it interesting. There's always a chance to hit and always a chance to muff it, no matter what.

Hope this helps.

IP Logged

Razor_Fangs
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #14 - Oct 20th, 2015 at 10:43pm
Print Post  
Let's see if i got that straight: So if there's a 0 (that can be hit only with a 1) and i have, say, a +5 to accuracy, i can hit my opponent from 1 to 5, because my +5 is added to its 0 defense.

But let's say he has Heightened Defenses, my +5 is reduced to +1, which would bring him to Def 1, in that case i still have to roll a 1.
Uh, tough.
« Last Edit: Oct 21st, 2015 at 12:04am by Razor_Fangs »  

Since the media took over more and more aggressively the american lifestyle, people started to forget about us and our deeds, until we became legends, pure fantasy in their collective imagination...

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #15 - Oct 21st, 2015 at 2:38am
Print Post  
Razor_Fangs wrote on Oct 20th, 2015 at 10:43pm:
Let's see if i got that straight: So if there's a 0 (that can be hit only with a 1) and i have, say, a +5 to accuracy, i can hit my opponent from 1 to 5, because my +5 is added to its 0 defense.

But let's say he has Heightened Defenses, my +5 is reduced to +1, which would bring him to Def 1, in that case i still have to roll a 1.
Uh, tough.

That's it!

IP Logged

Klystron
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Oct 21st, 2015 at 8:29am
Print Post  
You got it.  It's a little clunky until you get used to it because it is different then it is easier than other systems because it is more intuitive.

Just add all the modifiers first, then apply that number to the base.  You only need do it once, except for facing and movement.
« Last Edit: Oct 21st, 2015 at 8:31am by »  

IP Logged

Razor_Fangs
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #17 - Oct 21st, 2015 at 2:21pm
Print Post  
In the end is still very logic as a system, but i think they invented this rule just to show they were different from D&D although the name was V&V

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #18 - Oct 21st, 2015 at 5:58pm
Print Post  
I think you're right, that's probably why they did it (just to be a bit different from D&D).

Quote:
Most of us abide by the natural 1 always hits and a natural 20 always misses, leaving a 5% chance for either, just to keep it interesting. There's always a chance to hit and always a chance to muff it, no matter what.

That's actually straight out of the rules (RAW).

IP Logged

Klystron
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Oct 21st, 2015 at 6:22pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Oct 21st, 2015 at 5:58pm:

Yes it is, but we have whole discussions on which RAW things we don't do.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #20 - Oct 22nd, 2015 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Majestic wrote on Oct 21st, 2015 at 5:58pm:

Yes it is, but we have whole discussions on which RAW things we don't do.

That's true.  But FWIW that's one of those things I'd bet you'll find everyone does (I've never heard of or seen anyone not using it, anyway).

IP Logged

Razor_Fangs
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #21 - Oct 22nd, 2015 at 9:18pm
Print Post  
Baretta wrote on Mar 3rd, 2014 at 2:42pm:
Not everything from the 1979 edition of V&V translates (or holds up well) with the revised rules. But there are a few items on the combat table worth noting.

Anyone ever try using this chart? Or parts of it?

There are a lot of powers discarded in the revised edition, now i'm curious to see how they work

IP Logged

Matt
Justice Leaguer

Super hero role-playing
& Bronze Age comics fan

Reply #22 - Oct 22nd, 2015 at 11:40pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Mar 5th, 2014 at 1:36pm:
Matt wrote on Mar 4th, 2014 at 9:19pm:

It sure it!  Take a look (I've attached a copy).

I've never seen the box for 1E.  What does it have on the cover?

You know what, I just dug it out and realized it's 2nd edition! All this time I thought I had a boxed first edition on my shelf.

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #23 - Oct 22nd, 2015 at 11:49pm
Print Post  
Matt wrote on Oct 22nd, 2015 at 11:40pm:
You know what, I just dug it out and realized it's 2nd edition! All this time I thought I had a boxed first edition on my shelf.

The first edition rulebook didn't have a box.

IP Logged

>