Normal Topic Make a Super-Pet Challenge! (Read 2056 times)
Baretta
Avenger

Former V&V Player

Make a Super-Pet Challenge!
Jul 17th, 2014 at 12:25am
Print Post  
Here are the guidelines. Pick one of the ordinary animals for the V&V rulebook or maybe one of the adventures and then make them a super-powered pet by giving them 3 super powers from the list below -- or 4 super powers and a weakness. Post the pet's super name, animal species, and power selection.

Possible Powers:

Dimension Travel: You pick which of the three types of dimension travel.

Flight

Heightened Attack: All attacks due +4 Damage (as the pet is Level 4, non-sentient)

Paralysis Ray

Weather Control

Possible Weakness:
Physical Handicap

IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Re: Make a Super-Pet Challenge!
Reply #1 - Jul 18th, 2014 at 4:44am
Print Post  
I recently created a super horse that will appear in the upcoming book The Lazarus Gang.

The most challenging thing about animals is unpacking the stat block in the basic rule book and figuring out what their strength and Endurance should be (Agility is provided and we know their Int is 0). It also makes sense to give them animal plant powers because they're animals! Smiley

RAMBLE

IP Logged

Baretta
Avenger

Former V&V Player

Reply #2 - Jul 18th, 2014 at 9:01am
Print Post  
Ramble wrote on Jul 18th, 2014 at 4:44am:
I recently created a super horse that will appear in the upcoming book The Lazarus Gang.

The most challenging thing about animals is unpacking the stat block in the basic rule book and figuring out what their strength and Endurance should be (Agility is provided and we know their Int is 0). It also makes sense to give them animal plant powers because they're animals! Smiley

RAMBLE

Generally, animals from the rulebook have 10 Strength, 10 Endurance, the Agility score listed, and zero Intelligence.

Their Power Points = S + E + A + F. (In rare instances, the S or E = 11.)

When you multiply their Basic Hits by their Agility Mod., you get their Hit Points. This formula works by and large. I remember seeing posts about this on different forums way back before I started posting.

I'm not saying this formula makes sense. But it's how the animals were constructed in the rulebook.

But, that's kind of OT this super-pet challenge.
« Last Edit: Jul 18th, 2014 at 9:03am by Baretta »  

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #3 - Jul 18th, 2014 at 12:27pm
Print Post  
I think the forumula in the rules tends to make animals a bit too weak, overall (and not very threatening).  It means you really have to boost them to have a competent pet.

And I think it's on-topic, being as probably the majority of pets will be animals of some kind (and you sort of have to 'unpack' the ones in the rules to have a baseline).
« Last Edit: Jul 18th, 2014 at 12:31pm by Majestic »  

IP Logged

Baretta
Avenger

Former V&V Player

Reply #4 - Jul 18th, 2014 at 1:04pm
Print Post  
My idea for the challenge was to pick from the randomly rolled powers and weakness above. That was really all I had in mind. Wasn't intending to debate animal stats, just to use the ones that were in the core rules. Didn't mean to open a can of worms.

IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #5 - Jul 18th, 2014 at 6:12pm
Print Post  
Well, when I made Duster (the super horse I made for the Lazarus Gang), I had to sit down and completely unpack and figure out those Animal powers, otherwise, it just didn't make any sense to me. I needed it for a baseline to build from.

BUT.... back to the original question:

Name: Demoncats

Species - Siberian Tiger

1) Dimensional Travel - Type 1. These great cats can travel from their native Razer and back, due to the machinations of some to break down the barriers between these two dimensions.
2) Heightened Attack: +4 damage.
3) Paralysis Ray (Roar): This terrifying roar can free people in their tracks as the feel the dark power flow over them.

These dark monsters were tormented and changed by a mad wizard from the frozen province of Whiteforge in the dimension of Razer. The beast got free and devoured their creator, and then fled his tower to breed with their natural kin. With the recent incursions into Razer by Earthlings, the barriers between realms have begun to break down. On Earth these beasts are attracted to shadows and enjoy stalking, terrifying and attacking humans at night.

RAMBLE

« Last Edit: Jul 18th, 2014 at 6:13pm by Ramble »  

IP Logged

Baretta
Avenger

Former V&V Player

Reply #6 - Jul 18th, 2014 at 6:26pm
Print Post  
Very cool.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #7 - Jul 21st, 2014 at 4:42pm
Print Post  
So if my character had (earlier in the battle) been, say, frozen as a statue (like by Transmutation) and one of these demoncats roared at him, it would set him free?  Wink

IP Logged

merteuil
Teen Titan

Reply #8 - Jul 22nd, 2014 at 10:06am
Print Post  
ok, i try something.

Name : The Harpy
The Harpy has bad reputation. It steals child's soul, eat everything on its path, bring storm and misery (legends).
That's not true for the most part.
You'll need a spell or magic items to submit it to you as a pet. But it worth a try...

1) Flight. Wings. ok, i know i cheat  Wink

2) Heightened Attack: All attacks due +4 Damage

3) Paralysis Ray : The harpy can paralyze with a scream

4) Weather Control : The harpy can only bring storm and wind

Weakness: Physical Handicap. Well look at the picture

IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #9 - Jul 26th, 2014 at 12:50am
Print Post  
To Majestic:

I leave that to the ultimate authority - The Game Master.

RAMBLE

IP Logged

>