Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Balance (Read 4837 times)
AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Balance
Jul 20th, 2014 at 2:07am
Print Post  
So, I've been looking at how we tend to look at the rules. We know that this is a game based on a lot of negotiation and reasonable assumption.

What is missing from the assumptions of a GM controlling the game and presenting it fairly isn't actually in the rules itself and in the interest of honest observation exposes the game's greatest weakness: Inherent balance is missing.

Why, what ever do you mean?
Well, mainly lateral balance (how one character compares to the next) in our random system, illustrated by combat balance.
Watch this, and you'll see what I mean:

Lets assume we have 2 characters who each get one power and no buffed stats.
They're first level.
They both weigh 175 pounds and have stats of 10 across the board: They're average.

Each of them has rolled randomly and arrived at a power.
The first guy gets Natural Weaponry: +3 To hit, + 6 damage. We'll call him Catman.
The second guy gets Power Blast. We'll call him Blaster.

If we begin a combat and they both roll 0 on the dice, they both get an action on phase segments 20 and 5. Lets assume they can both attack for those two actions.

Natural Weaponry isn't a defense and attacks as "HTH".
Power Blast is both a defense and an attack type.

Neither character has a defensive advantage due to range or evasion calculations.
Both guys are -1 to hit due to level gap.
Including the characters Natural Weaponry mod, Catman needs a 7, a 35% chance of success.
Blaster needs a 15 or less to hit for Power Blast, or a 75% chance of success.

If Catman hits, he has a damage potential of 1d4+6, for an average of 8.5 points per hit.
If Blaster hits, he has a damage potential of 1d20, for an average of 10.5 points damage per hit.

They're both going to have 4 Basic Hits, 4 Hit points and 40 Power.

Catman will inflict [.35 (hit probability) x 8.5 (average damage) x 2 (attacks this round)=] 6.15 average damage per turn.

Blaster will inflict [.75 (hit probability) x 10.5 (average damage) x 2 (attacks this round)=] 15.75 average damage per turn.

In this match-up, it's not a contest at all. If averages hold true, Catman's combat clock will run out much sooner than Blaster's combat clock. Even though Blaster could use his power as a defense, he has no reason to further reduce the chances against him to allow Catman's clock to be prolonged.

This is why the combat table as cool as it is, seems so out of whack. This is why random character generation can be so unfair.

While it's totally cool when the player feels like they've made a great character, it sucks hard when they see a better character materialize for someone else and then in practice it bears out.

I am working to evaluate how powers compare to each other with the method of determining how they impact the combat clock of a character. Let me tell you - it's a big undertaking. And I think it's the key to making the Revised Edition come to the modern age without making what comes before incompatible.
« Last Edit: Jul 20th, 2014 at 2:20am by AlabasterKnight »  

If it's not fun, we're not doing it right.

IP Logged

merteuil
Teen Titan

Re: Balance
Reply #1 - Jul 20th, 2014 at 4:58am
Print Post  
Balance is important in the game, and it starts in the beginning of it. I mean, there are differences between powers (too much in my opinion) but you can elude this before you even change/modify some powers !

In my games, all players throw 2D3+2 for powers instead of 1D6+2. 'cause there's a big difference between a player that throws a bad 1 and another with a lucky 6
2d6+6 for every characteristics. (they play heroes after all)

As i saw it here (can't remember who did that but i found it reaaaallly good) when a player throws on table for powers he has a choice (with the same throw) between the table he choose (devices, powers, magical ..) or the table for skills.
All my players are happy with that.
First it's more choices between different powers.
Second, when you have a power that you don't like, you can still choose a skill instead.
Third,the characters made that way have more hits points and power points, so the players are less afraid to battle if they have to.

05 as a base for HTH is not enough according to me. As i consider it's more difficult to hit without a power than with a power, i've decided that the base to hit with HTH is just below transmutation (09) which is the lowest base of all powers with impact (i do not consider mental powers).
=> 08

Remember that the characters can use a weapon (club, sword, axe) in HTH. And they have bonuses that way. Allow/encourage them to use one, it even 'customizes' the character

Sure they're still big differences between power blast and HTH but it's diminished a little
And the difference is dwindled if the 'HTH character' has others forces/powers

Most of the powers make 2D8 of damage. Others only 1D12 but there is other stuff with it. I really did not understand that 1d20 for power blast, as it doesn't have drawback(s).  Shocked
« Last Edit: Jul 20th, 2014 at 7:41am by merteuil »  

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #2 - Jul 20th, 2014 at 9:12am
Print Post  
You can also make changes to powers, to make them more "balanced". If "Catman's" abilities are stacking up to the other players, then let his Natural Weaponry provide some sort of defensive abilities, say a working like a modified version of Heightened Defense.

That's what I've always loved about V&V, GMs are actually encouraged to modify powers, rules, etc. or throw them out completely if need be to fit the situation.

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #3 - Jul 20th, 2014 at 12:51pm
Print Post  
Who ever said it needed to be balanced?   Isn't Thor on the same  team as Ant Man?

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

merteuil
Teen Titan

Reply #4 - Jul 20th, 2014 at 1:09pm
Print Post  
the difference is :
- in V&V the characters are played (so in the same team someone who plays a weaker character can feel a bit scammed )
- Thor and Ant man aren't played, they are real  Smiley

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #5 - Jul 20th, 2014 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
I have a player who is a Thor rip off on the same team as a guy who can basically cast a magic missile.   One fought a superman rip off, and  the magician guy fought an evil doctor.   The problem is not balance, but a GM who doesn't know how to craft a story to his players.

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #6 - Jul 20th, 2014 at 1:29pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Jul 20th, 2014 at 12:51pm:
Who ever said it needed to be balanced?   Isn't Thor on the same  team as Ant Man?

And, for what it's worth, the attached panel from Avengers #2 shows Thor's positive reaction to just one of Ant-Man's "miraculous" powers ...
« Last Edit: Jul 20th, 2014 at 1:29pm by polarboy »  

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #7 - Jul 20th, 2014 at 1:39pm
Print Post  
Guys, all I'm saying is that by inherent balance being missing, players might be put off by the notion that the GM is the sole source of balance. I'm trying to figure out some denominators to help new GMs who don't have those tools. That's all.
« Last Edit: Jul 20th, 2014 at 1:40pm by AlabasterKnight »  

IP Logged

merteuil
Teen Titan

Reply #8 - Jul 20th, 2014 at 2:23pm
Print Post  
AlabasterKnight wrote on Jul 20th, 2014 at 1:39pm:
I'm trying to figure out some denominators to help new GMs who don't have those tools. That's all.

Especially with young players who can be really jealous of each others characters

IP Logged

marcus
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #9 - Jul 20th, 2014 at 2:27pm
Print Post  
When i first stated playing V&V low those many years ago, my first character had
Armor...no powers
Independence from atmosphere and
Flight. How i many times i got my butt kicked? Too many to count. He eventually became Ebonfire,but not without a whole lot of changing of the armor and a couple of mutations along the way. Thing is i agree with AlabasterKnight but, until that happens you need alot of luck and a good GM and sometimes you're not that lucky in either case.

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #10 - Jul 20th, 2014 at 7:59pm
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Jul 20th, 2014 at 9:12am:
That's what I've always loved about V&V, GMs are actually encouraged to modify powers, rules, etc. or throw them out completely if need be to fit the situation.

This is what I like too, but there's not even a baseline for new GMs to gauge what works.  (I already think competent GMs have already house ruled this game to death Smiley )

Most of us are insulated and somewhat numb to this topic here. We've been seeing and negotiating the material for a long time. I think the lack of structure is a second language for us, things being unbalanced don't bother us so much as deciding how sweet we make our tea with arbitrary senses. (Pours sugar until... stop, that's good right there?)

I'm thinking about the future and promoting this game to a new crowd and doing real marketing and competing against modern product. I know if my current players (experienced people!) are raising issues it could be a sign of difficult times ahead.

At any rate, anything that anyone thinks might help is welcome. I'm not looking to change the Revised Edition, just trying to sense out some balance in it. Thanks.

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #11 - Jul 20th, 2014 at 8:29pm
Print Post  
Personally I think the coolest part of the game is having this potential for disparity among player's characters.  To John's point, taking out the awesome GM he is, it's really up to the players to "make it work".  If you get a "challenged" character and automatically despise it because he/she is not as powerful as another in the group, then that person probably shouldn't be playing this game.

The randomness to the game is what makes it great. Even if you are dealt a bad hand, figure out ways to make your character better as you level up etc.  There is a lot you can do without the assistance of a GM.

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself -- Steven Segal

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #12 - Jul 20th, 2014 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
I see where AK is coming from. For V&V to thrive and grow, maybe just to even survive, you have to look at where the new blood will come from. Most of them will come from some form of D&D, which tend to be more lists of what the feats and spells let you do, wihout the 'work with the GM backside to improve and develop more comparable characters'. 

A group coming from that mindset will end uo with some folks complaining they got scrwewd and their character sucks. Just because of dice rolls. That is one reason my group came up with the aforementioned 'pick your powers between the table you chose and the skills table'.

If the game had some kind of way to help this balancing built in, it would only improve the game and help new people while not affecting experienced players.

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #13 - Jul 21st, 2014 at 3:40am
Print Post  
Balance as proposed in a game decided by dice requires gobs of math. That game is called Champions. Sad  At which point all the characters tend to very similiar sans the window dressing of a special effect.

Both 'can' be good games but IMO one tends to breed role players and the other roll players.

Diversity is good though and I think there ought to be a way of one character to play Antman and the other Thor 'if' that is what is going to be fun for the player. The idea is for everyone to have fun and each find that in different aspects of the genre.

Regardless of what system used that "fun" is ultimately in the hands of the GM. Maybe less on game mechanics and more on developing good GM abilities ought to be the focus?

aka Dracos aka DarkStar aka Star Guard

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #14 - Jul 21st, 2014 at 10:14am
Print Post  
Ranger wrote on Jul 21st, 2014 at 3:40am:
Balance as proposed in a game decided by dice requires gobs of math. That game is called Champions. Sad  At which point all the characters tend to very similiar sans the window dressing of a special effect.....

Let's not paint this conversation in to point shaving and generic powers. That's totally not what I said. More to that point: To the uninitiated, they see a game with no underlying foundation that over the top it looks like an accounting exercise. Most people see that and like my wife, say, "That is a lot of work."

EDIT: And Balance is about the combat clock: How long a character can survive against a threat of the same level. Adjust from there. /EDIT

Quote:
more on developing good GM abilities ought to be the focus?

This is exactly correct. And the point of this thread is that in today's market, savvy players who are used to more structure need more than the GM to say "because I said so" with no teaching the GM the basis behind their decisions and also the ability to be confident and convincing with those decisions.

That typically comes with a grasp of rules that have that invested structure - due to the way most games develop.

It's the same thing as a musician who is a wonder savant and learns by ear being far more rare than someone who want to study music yet has little in raw talent. 

You have to be either a frequent generation flyer of this game or talented enough to mask to deficiencies.

I'm trying to find a way to frame a viewer to the rules to give them a foundation of balance for the newcomer, not create a point-based generic system to replace the game. 
« Last Edit: Jul 21st, 2014 at 10:20am by AlabasterKnight »  

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #15 - Jul 21st, 2014 at 10:41am
Print Post  
More than a decade ago, Jeff Dee made available online a point-based system for V&V. I can't find the link but here's a general overview.

Players have 125 points to build their new characters. Characters gain points if they have fewer than 4 Basic Hits but lose points if they have more than 4 Basic Hits.

Each point of S, E, A, I, or C costs 1 point. From this stand point, Heightened/Reduced powers/weaknesses are irrelevant. When designing a character, you give them the score you want (although some parameters are in place).

Each Knowledge Area costs 5 points.

On average, super powers cost 15 points, but there is a lot of variation. For example, Invulnerability costs 1 point for every point of protection.

Here is an off-the-cuff character built using that system, simply to illustrate the standard power level for a new character.

CAPTAIN CADABRA
Sex: Male
Side: Good
Level: 1

Powers:
1. Astral Projection: PR = 12.
2. Weakness Detection: gains +6 to hit and learns one weakness after spending one action within 1" of opponent.
3. Invulnerability: 5 points of protection.

Weight: 180 lbs.
Basic Hits: 4
Strength: 15
Endurance: 15
Agility: 16
Intelligence: 16
Charisma: 18

Power: 62
Hit Points: 20

Origin & Background: (Religion/Mysticism, Military).
« Last Edit: Jul 21st, 2014 at 10:58am by polarboy »  

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #16 - Jul 21st, 2014 at 12:05pm
Print Post  
When I first started playing V&V  my first two players rolled up characters.  One was a Batman type with 30 hits. He could start fires with his mind, regenerate, and see the future when he slept.

The second guy was a killer robot with over 400 hits,  could lift tons, had automatic weapons built it, armor, and so many freakin sensors it was insane.

The robot learned to download his programing to other bodies and could never die. 

The first guy died after many adventures.

That was 20 years ago and we still stalk about those stories.    Dreadnaught could have destroyed Prometheus in one attack.   BUT they enhanced each other.   Prometheus sought out clues and took out the master minds behind each adventure while Dreadnaught took out EVERYTHING else.    The imbalance made it possible for each player to lean toward different aspects of the story.    They functioned very well together, and were very effective.  Had they been balanced, this dynamic dichotomy would not have happened.

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #17 - Jul 21st, 2014 at 12:22pm
Print Post  
In my experience, concerns about balance come up when one character can basically do everything another character can do plus a lot more.

Hypothetical example:

Character A rolls 1 power and settles on Disintegration Ray and Flight with a weakness.

Character B rolls 6 powers and settles on Flame Power (activation), Heightened Strength, Heightened Attack, Heightened Expertise, Illusions B, and Willpower ... With no weakness

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #18 - Jul 21st, 2014 at 1:38pm
Print Post  
appreciate that insight PB. Thanks.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #19 - Jul 21st, 2014 at 4:37pm
Print Post  
There's a number of errors in your initial premise, AK.  Things like Power Blast being used for a defense (something so rare I've never seen it done in over 30 years of regularly playing this game; being as it costs an action and thus mitigates one of that character's attacks means it shouldn't even be in the above calculation).

But your overall point is fair: that the game (as per the RAW) can give vastly different power levels of characters.  And single powers (so when you compare two of them head-to-head like you did above) are not all equal.

But then, according to the RAW, everyone is playing themselves with superpowers (something most people don't do).

They key could be just in changing the base number of powers a character starts with.  This would be a pretty minor change really.

The rules already suggest that a player with few powers should have his/hers beefed up, to be more balanced with the character with many.

That said, I think John's point of the diversity you get when not every character is a cookie-cutter version of each other is valid, too.

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #20 - Jul 21st, 2014 at 4:44pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Dreadnaught could have destroyed Prometheus in one attack

I could have killed him with just movement points  Tongue

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself -- Steven Segal

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #21 - Jul 21st, 2014 at 4:49pm
Print Post  
Maybe there should be a powers chart based on perceived Power Level. A player who rolls one or two powers rolls on the chart that has ice powers on it. The guy who rolls six powers rolls on the skills chart.

Or something  Cheesy

aka Dracos aka DarkStar aka Star Guard

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #22 - Jul 21st, 2014 at 4:51pm
Print Post  
That's actually not a bad way to do it Ranger.  Go for the multi-powers on the few table, the more separate powers on the many table.  It could even be presented that way as an option to help balance out some things.

Still won't be perfect, but the only perfect way is to just work it out with the GM.  This could help GM's who don't feel confident or understand the rules.

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #23 - Jul 21st, 2014 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
Brian Rogers had a very neat system for trying to even things out somewhat while still maintaining a bit of a gap in powers.  If you haven't checked out the Asymmetry Variants game, definitely worth checking out.  http://home.sprynet.com/~rjstevenson/rpg/rules/powers.html

Just be warned, it is a heavily modified system, but definitely something that could be rolled back into the existing framework with some effort.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #24 - Jul 22nd, 2014 at 11:30am
Print Post  
In our game, we've gone a step towards what it sounds like 3.0 will be like (from the little we saw a few years ago).  We roll randomly for the first four powers (using Imaginos' system of applying the number rolled to one of the charts but having the option of using that same roll towards the Skills chart), and then we allow 1-2 more powers that are picked at the same corresponding power as 1-2 weaknesses (so if the player wants 6 powers, with the last two chosen ones really powerful, then he has to take 1-2 really potent weaknesses).

IP Logged

Baretta
Avenger

Former V&V Player

Reply #25 - Jul 22nd, 2014 at 11:38am
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Jul 22nd, 2014 at 11:30am:
In our game, we've gone a step towards what it sounds like 3.0 will be like (from the little we saw a few years ago).  We roll randomly for the first four powers (using Imaginos' system of applying the number rolled to one of the charts but having the option of using that same roll towards the Skills chart), and then we allow 1-2 more powers that are picked at the same corresponding power as 1-2 weaknesses (so if the player wants 6 powers, with the last two chosen ones really powerful, then he has to take 1-2 really potent weaknesses).

Many of my favorite V&V characters have less than four powers. Does this mean that someone like Blizzard or Laserfire or Dreamweaver will be too weak to play?

Do villains follow these same guidelines too?

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #26 - Jul 22nd, 2014 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
Yeah, definitely one consequence of doing this means that villains (and other NPCs) need to be given a bit more 'oomph'.

One wouldn't have to do 4-6 powers. but I think 3 is probably the minimum you'd want to have.

IP Logged

Baretta
Avenger

Former V&V Player

Reply #27 - Jul 22nd, 2014 at 1:48pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Jul 22nd, 2014 at 1:22pm:
Yeah, definitely one consequence of doing this means that villains (and other NPCs) need to be given a bit more 'oomph'.

One wouldn't have to do 4-6 powers. but I think 3 is probably the minimum you'd want to have.

Poor Shocker. He has only two powers and has long been a favorite. And Temper too.

IP Logged

Baretta
Avenger

Former V&V Player

Reply #28 - Jul 22nd, 2014 at 1:53pm
Print Post  
I think that Changeling and Terra had fewer than three powers as well in that iconic Different Worlds article. I would hate to see titanic characters like these deemed unplayable.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #29 - Jul 22nd, 2014 at 9:02pm
Print Post  
Well, keep in mind that - even per the rules in V&V - characters will often invent, which (at least for some characters) effectively adds more powers to their repertoire.

Most characters from the comics that we've seen for decades have at least exhibited new facets of their powers (power stunts or what have you).

IP Logged

Baretta
Avenger

Former V&V Player

Reply #30 - Jul 22nd, 2014 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Jul 22nd, 2014 at 9:02pm:
Well, keep in mind that - even per the rules in V&V - characters will often invent, which (at least for some characters) effectively adds more powers to their repertoire.

Most characters from the comics that we've seen for decades have at least exhibited new facets of their powers (power stunts or what have you).

That's exactly why I always thought it was cool that you could start out with maybe one or two powers.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #31 - Jul 23rd, 2014 at 3:09pm
Print Post  
I hear you, and part of me leans that way.  Unfortunately, we had too many "throw away" (or what some call "stillborn") characters when they ended up with 1-2 powers.

Since we've changed to this new method, 100% of characters have been fun and usable.  Before, probably close to 1/3rd were ones people were (at the least) leery to play and (at worst) were obvious losers with no hope or potential ("Great!  You get to play Superman and I get stuck with a guy whose only power is Speed Bonus!").

IP Logged

Baretta
Avenger

Former V&V Player

Reply #32 - Jul 23rd, 2014 at 3:24pm
Print Post  
Since even a character with only one power gets three to choose from, I don't see how anyone could get stuck with only Speed Bonus, but whatever... We do not have to agree on this.

IP Logged

>