Normal Topic Modifying Invulnerability (Read 2213 times)
dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Modifying Invulnerability
Jul 26th, 2014 at 7:55am
Print Post  
Instead of using the standard Invulnerability power, as written, characters would roll 1d8 and consult the following table to see how many points of Invulnerability their character has. Unlike the standard rules, attacks inflicting damage less than, or equal to, the character's Invulnerability score would be completely ignored.

1 - 3
2 - 5
3 - 7
4 - 10
5 - 12
6 - 15
7 - 18
8 - 20

The old Invulnerability power would be renamed Damage Reduction.

I'm also tinkering with a modification to Force Field that would be similar to the alternate FF rules Jeff Dee wrote for the Vigil fanzine. At the moment I'm stuck on what the Power requirements would be.
« Last Edit: Aug 30th, 2020 at 3:07pm by dsumner »  

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Re: Modifying Invulnerability
Reply #1 - Jul 26th, 2014 at 5:12pm
Print Post  
As a house rule I'm going to go with the same concept you have Dom with a tweak. I think invulnerable should at least mean bullet proof so I'm going with ... Base 8 + (2d6) = Invulnerability per attack.

That's as a power mind you. Devices like Kevlar vest and the such would use the armor rule with the armor having a SR based on a tenth of its ADR.

aka Dracos aka DarkStar aka Star Guard

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #2 - Jul 26th, 2014 at 6:48pm
Print Post  
Ranger wrote on Jul 26th, 2014 at 5:12pm:
As a house rule I'm going to go with the same concept you have Dom with a tweak. I think invulnerable should at least mean bullet proof so I'm going with ... Base 8 + (2d6) = Invulnerability per attack.

Hmm...that's a little on the high end, as it averages out to 15 points of invulnerability, which would make the character far more resistant to damage than almost any of the attacks in V&V.

The reason I went with my point spread is I think it would represent the varying levels of Invulnerability you see in comics. Some guys can ignore things like bullets, and others can bounce tank shells off their chests. But, with all that said, let me know how it works out in actual play.

Ranger wrote on Jul 26th, 2014 at 5:12pm:
That's as a power mind you. Devices like Kevlar vest and the such would use the armor rule with the armor having a SR based on a tenth of its ADR.

Have you seen this? - http://www.villainsandvigilantesforum.com/public_html/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=...

I posted a house rule for modifying how armor would work.

Armor: For every 10 full points of Armor a character has, it would have a SR of 1. So if a character had Armor with an ADR of 120, his Armor would have a SR of 12 and it would ignore any attack that did less than 12 points of damage. The Armor could still be damaged as normal (any damage that penetrates would reduce its ADR), so it'd become less effective as it sustained more damage. So if the character undergoes an attack that does 20 points of damage, his armor would ignore the first 12 points, and the other 8 would penetrate the armor, reducing its ADR to 112.

One thing I would suggest though, is that GMs limit the amount of armor a character could have, so that things don't get out of hand.
« Last Edit: Dec 4th, 2016 at 11:25am by dsumner »  

YIM  
IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #3 - Jul 26th, 2014 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
Yeah I'm pretty sure I've adopted your original idea whole hog Smiley  You're also likely right about the Invulnerability average of 15 being a bit high for a "normal" V&V attack. My thought though is there are so many ways to add bonus damage, be it Agility, Intelligence, Heightened Attack etc that Invulnerability quickly becomes not quite so Invulnerable very easily. Still I think it's definitely worh taking a second look at how to lower the potential average yet keep the max the same before I start up my next PbP.

aka Dracos aka DarkStar aka Star Guard

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #4 - Jul 26th, 2014 at 10:03pm
Print Post  
I use Invulerablity as it is in the rules, but I also have a power called Invincibility that works as you describe.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #5 - Jul 27th, 2014 at 3:34am
Print Post  
I've really been liking how Armor works for us now that we switched to the method as Dom posted above: where 1/10th the ADR serves as the SR (or threshold of damage that needs to be exceeded).

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #6 - Jul 27th, 2014 at 4:20am
Print Post  
The reworked version of Force Field I'm working on has a similar mechanic. The issue I'm running into, at the moment, is how much Power  the character would have to expend to keep the FF up each turn. I think there should be a cost, I just can't settle on what that cost should be.  Undecided
« Last Edit: Jul 27th, 2014 at 4:20am by dsumner »  

YIM  
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #7 - Jul 28th, 2014 at 2:22pm
Print Post  
You could always go with 1/10th the damage repulsed, minimum PR=1.  Or 1/5th.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #8 - Dec 4th, 2016 at 11:28am
Print Post  
bumping this up as well.

YIM  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #9 - Aug 30th, 2020 at 3:12pm
Print Post  
I'm bumping this one up, as I'd like to get some additional feedback on this stuff, and has anyone other than Majestic tried using it in a game? If so, how'd it work out for you guys?

YIM  
IP Logged

>