Poll
Poll Question: What is most important in a character!
bars   pie

Their combination of powers?    
  7 (50.0%)
Their code name?    
  2 (14.3%)
Their background and motivation?    
  5 (35.7%)
Their appearance?    
  0 (0.0%)

Total votes: 14
« Created by: Baretta on: Aug 2nd, 2014 at 1:29pm »
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) What is most important in a character? (Read 5748 times)
Baretta
Avenger

Former V&V Player

What is most important in a character?
Aug 2nd, 2014 at 1:29pm
Print Post  
Feel free to share your thoughts.

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Re: What is most important in a character?
Reply #1 - Aug 2nd, 2014 at 3:28pm
Print Post  
I usually try to hit peak on all 4. And while in a perspective of depth for powers and background are so important to generate an interesting character, the aesthetic choices can totally screw up the other two irredeemably.

Costume/outfit out of those two has wiggle room, could be disastrous, mostly when it comes to color scheme.

But a name. That to me is the first thing you read/hear and it can totally bias all the other things.

You can change the write-up and suit it to taste.

You can add or subtract from backgrounds to do the same.

Costumes hopefully are easy to work with and imagine in color or don't disappoint...

but names stick no matter what.

If it's not fun, we're not doing it right.

IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #2 - Aug 3rd, 2014 at 12:27pm
Print Post  
The combination of powers is probably the most important thing as all things spring from it, including the codename. I think this is particularly true in V&V, where you have random dice rolls give you a batch of choices, and then the player needs to sort the powers and come up with a clear concept. Also, I have a scheme for selecting characters names that makes it fairly easy for me, so the naming process is easy and positive for my creations.

RAMBLE

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #3 - Aug 4th, 2014 at 12:46pm
Print Post  
I disagree that all things spring from combination of powers. Some character names and backstories have little to do with, if anything, what a character's powers might be.

I was coming from a place where you've settled on what you believe is a good set of powers, a good backstory, and a decent look. But, Ramble's perspective is still valid that a combination of powers could certainly be inspirational.

If it's not fun, we're not doing it right.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #4 - Aug 4th, 2014 at 5:51pm
Print Post  
My take is the same as Ramble's.  All of them are important, but I think what really defines (and starts) the concept of a character (at least for supers) is their powers.

I was just looking up Brickibrak the other day (a villain from "The Mad Scientist", written by Jack Herman) and his background was something like "used to be a boxer".  Not saying that's the optimum backstory, but it illustrates that one could even have their background be a mystery (as Wolverine did for decades) and still be a fascinating, interesting character.

Code names, though important, can change over time, so to me aren't as defining.

Costumes and appearance are important, but - like names - can also change, and in my view aren't as pivotal and inspirational as powers are.

V&V's random charts add a whole new element to this.  It's where I start building a character from.  In another (general RPG) forum, someone recently posited how disappointed they would be after randomly rolling a character, being as they had decided much about the character (including detailed backstory) beforehand.  With methods like V&V has, where you use random charts to generate the character, I think it's important not to go in with too much of a preconceived idea or plan.

IP Logged

Avenger

I Love Comic's and RP.
V&V got me started

Reply #5 - Aug 20th, 2014 at 12:07pm
Print Post  
I think background and motivation are slightly more important . Why does this guy put on a costume and do the things he does? I currently play Champions and will often tell new players when building a character that as GM I will help with mechanics of building powers but I want them to make me believe in their hero. If I was reading a book about him would I cheer for him?

If something seems to good to be true, it's best to shoot it,just to be safe
IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #6 - Aug 25th, 2014 at 9:34pm
Print Post  
Hear hear. I second the representative from Kokomo. Smiley

I'd voted a while back but hadn't explained why. It's important to distinguish that the importance stressed on a role-play game character and a comic book character are two different animals. The creators of a comic book character are attempting to market a money making product. As gamers we are trying to have fun with a character that is in some small or larger way is an expression of ourselves. There is going to be overlap when both are done right but the goal of the two are different and so will be the importance of each trait.

aka Dracos aka DarkStar aka Star Guard

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #7 - Aug 28th, 2014 at 10:08pm
Print Post  
I voted "Background and motivation" because it was the closest, but what makes a character interesting is his faults and weaknesses. I agree with Avatar and Ranger on this. Character counts.

Imagine Superman without Kryptonite. He would have a cool back story, would still look great, and have some impressive powers, but he would not be terribly interesting.

For a quick 2D NPC bad guy, "lots-o-powers" may work fine, but for a character you might want to play (or fight) more that twice, you need flaws to make him/her more "human". Powers are important, but they are not everything. As for their appearance... it is important to an extent in that  it normally telegraphs what the character is all about (the Punisher). Of course the appearance can mislead as it does with Super Girl, but that is more in the "clever character twist" category. When Yad and I discuss how a character will look, I normally emphasize what the character is all about before discussing his or her powers.

I am working on an adventure with a very powerful character. I normally keep myself in the 7 powers + 1 weakness box (I'll add an extra weakness to gain an extra power sometimes), but the main bad guy in this one is a mage, and his powers are spells he has learned over his long life - thus he has a LOT of spells (which are nearly powers). What makes him a good bad guy is not his big stack of powers, or his cool outfit, but his desire for power and the horrible things he has done to get that power.
« Last Edit: Aug 28th, 2014 at 10:10pm by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams
"The GM is the balancing mechanic" - Klystron

IP Logged

merteuil
Teen Titan

Reply #8 - Aug 29th, 2014 at 2:44am
Print Post  
I think there is not just one right answer but at least a combination of two.

Ironnerd wrote on Aug 28th, 2014 at 10:08pm:
I voted "Background and motivation" (...)
Imagine Superman without Kryptonite. (...)

Sure but without his powers he wouldn't even have this name.

Majestic wrote on Aug 4th, 2014 at 5:51pm:
I think what really defines (and starts) the concept of a character (at least for supers) is their powers.

Agree but without a good background or motivation, the super hero would be just a addition of powers without any spice. Moreover i'm sure that's make the difference in comics between a character that is loved and another who is just estimated

so in my opinion it's the combination of the set of powers and the Background/Motivation of the character
« Last Edit: Aug 29th, 2014 at 2:45am by merteuil »  

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #9 - Aug 29th, 2014 at 1:02pm
Print Post  
Yeah, it really takes multiple of these.  I think most of us would agree.  That was part of the challenge of this, naming which one (considering they're all important) is the most important.

I think everyone's made really good points so far, and it shows how difficult it is to choose just one.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #10 - Aug 29th, 2014 at 1:02pm
Print Post  
Interesting also that appearance hasn't garnered a single vote.

IP Logged

proditorcappela
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #11 - Sep 18th, 2014 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
I agree that it's multiple selections, but if pressed for one, it has got to be background and history. (For me at least).

I think it's possible to take the most common and boring power set and make it exciting and dynamic based on how the character acts and responds based upon who they are. My personal example is Doc Grond who I created for Digital Hero #37. However the much bigger mass market example is Mr. Incredible.

They took bog standard mid-tier brick powers and made them super-cool and interesting all based on the character.

That isn't to say that the powers don't occasionally make the hero. Another one of my creations was a Cypher homage who did the body language thing years before Marvel figured out it might be a good idea. (And actually, she's in the same issue of Digital Hero. Huh, odd.)

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #12 - Sep 19th, 2014 at 4:22pm
Print Post  
So what is Digital Hero?  Googling those words mostly gives stuff about GoPro cameras.

IP Logged

proditorcappela
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #13 - Sep 19th, 2014 at 10:58pm
Print Post  
Heh, it used to be the Digital monthly magazine for HERO Games. I was huge into Champions for a decade or two.
« Last Edit: Sep 19th, 2014 at 10:58pm by proditorcappela »  

IP Logged

Lord Inar
Justice Leaguer

Reply #14 - Sep 22nd, 2014 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
"What is most important in a character?"

To crush the enemy,
See them driven....

Oh wait, that's not right.

Powers. Name, costume and even background/motivation can all be easily changed. Change the powers and it is a different character.

Hell, many of our games are "Tabula Rasa" where we just roll 'em up and start playing. Names usually come after that, then backgrounds, then maybe, if we're lucky, appearance (none of us are graphic designers of any sort).

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #15 - Sep 22nd, 2014 at 10:42pm
Print Post  
I played a character called Tabula Rasa once, based very much on Rorschach.

IP Logged

Lord Inar
Justice Leaguer

Reply #16 - Oct 10th, 2014 at 4:15pm
Print Post  
Hmmm... not seeing the association...

...but seriously, yes, that's pretty cool.
A number of years ago there was an online comic where the hero woke up with no memory of who he was, so he (and the reader) learned as he went.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #17 - Oct 10th, 2014 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
I think that would be an excellent way to start a campaign.  Have the PCs wake up, with no knowledge of who they are or what they can do...

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #18 - Oct 18th, 2014 at 10:38pm
Print Post  
Marvel has used a similar trope a couple times and it made for interesting story for a while. Once with the Eternals and more recently the Asgardians.

aka Dracos aka DarkStar aka Star Guard

IP Logged

>