Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Zeta-Man (Read 2579 times)
Merctime
Sidekick

V&V Newbie!

Zeta-Man
Aug 6th, 2014 at 10:05pm
Print Post  
Well, for my first-ever V&V character, I decided to go with random generation.  So, this guy is a bit whacky, and took some time to work out how the things I rolled would fit.  Note:  This isn't a criticism... This is generally what I've experienced with every supers game I've ever played (and I don't imagine I'm the only one Wink )

I've borrowed Dsumner's 'character template' to get him posted here... Dsumner, if this isn't ok, please let me know and I'll fix that!

So, lets have a look at Zeta-Man, shall we?   Cool

Identity: David Cumberland            
Side: Good
Affiliation: Brand-new Solo Hero
Base of Operations: New York, New York
Sex: Male                        
Age: 22 (altered from age roll to add a four-year military term)
Level: 1                        
Training: Combat Accuracy in his Alien Headband

Powers:
1. Special weapon (Device); Alien circlet-type Headband fused to his body with a large red gem-type stone in it's center.  This strange item has two main powers:
a) Power Blast (device; 19 charges; 1 charge per shot or as listed below) (device parameters: STR=19, END=20):  The gem in his alien circlet fires blasts of energy up to 19.5" away, for 1D20 damage.  Zeta-man can bounce his shots off of multiple opponents as the rules state for multiple attacks.  Each opponent shot after the first costs an additional 2 charges(!!) so he is forced to do this sparingly.  Unlike the rules (as this is a 'special weapon'), once Zeta-Man misses an opponent, the blast just stops bouncing from that point (and the other shots that hit, still do).  If used defensively, Zeta-Man expends only 1 charge if he has an action to shoot the incoming attack, or expends 2 charges if the power blast fires of it's own accord at incoming attacks when he doesn't have an action.  This 'sentient attack' of his alien headband is out of his players control, and is under the control of the GM to be used for dramatic gameplay as opposed to player benefit; Simulating the alien wierdness of his headband.
b) Heightened Agility B (Device; 19 charges seperate from power blast charges; 1 charge per turn): +12
2. Weakness Detection: Costs an action, no power cost, 1" range.  Zeta-Man can detect one weakness in any target within his range.  Ever after, he then receives +3 to all attacks against that person/being.  Subsequent detections against the same person/being reveal other weaknesses if they are there, but don't add further combat bonuses.  Zeta-Man can tell others about a weakness he's learned, but no combat bonus is gained by others through this power.
3. Psionics (Mind Reading): 3" range, 2 PR per use.  Alien experimentation has awakened things in the mind of Zeta-Man.  He can now read the surface thoughts of anyone in range.  He only needs to know of their general location and visualize them in his mind, although he need not 'know' them personally, so he can do this even if he doesn't have line-of-sight.  If he wants to learn deeper thoughts from someone, he does have to have line of sight, and it requires more than one turn of power use at 2 PR per turn.  It's up to the GM what other, sub-surface thoughts he learns.  Targets can 'get a feeling' that someone is near and 'in their mind' (!) if they succeed at a detect danger roll.  If Zeta-Man continues his probe for longer than one round, the target's detect danger roll grows each round after the first (adding another full percentage to the total; So on the third round, they are at x3 for their detect danger percentage).  If Zeta-Man is detected, even if the target doesn't know who is doing it, they can try to block their mind from further probing by saving vs CHA as a percentage.  Again, the percentage adds another full CHA score each round if Zeta-Man continues to probe.  Note that Zeta-Man cannot tell if his targets are aware of him unless they make some action that alerts him to this fact!  Also, GM's may rule that certain mind/magic/etc powers may simply be used in defense against this as they are written.

Weaknesses: 
Diminished Senses:  Due to alien experimentation, Zeta-Man/David Cumberland can now only see in grayscale; He has totally lost all ability to see and discern visual colors outside of that.

Weight: 180 lbs.            
Basic Hits: 4
Agility Mod: -                  
Strength: 13
Endurance: 17                  
Agility: 11
Intelligence: 9            
Charisma: 14
Reactions from Good: +1/Evil: -1
Hit Mods.: 2.16            
Hit Points: 9
Healing Rate: 1.6
Power: 50
Damage Mod.: -            
Accuracy: -                
Carrying Capacity: 504 lbs.      
Basic HTH Damage: 1d8
Detect Hidden: 8%            
Detect Danger: 12%
Inventing Points: .9?            
Inventing: 27%
Movement Rates: 41” ground (sprinting)

Origin and Background:
David Cumberland grew up on a farm in upstate New York.  His formative life was one of hard work, and discipline, and generally no excitement or change.  When he began to take crops to local markets, the boy found that he had a penchant for public speaking; He just 'felt right' in front of large (for these small-town farmer's markets) crowds and telling them about the virtues of his crops.  Or anything else, for that matter.  Through school, he played some sports, but really focused on speech classes, and was eventually approached my military recruiters.  Choosing the U.S. Army upon graduation, he joined up as the Army's version of a publicity agent and went right to work helping to develop speeches for, and even actually conducting speeches, on behalf of soldiers everywhere.  Life was getting pretty good.  What he didn't know, however, was that the recurring nightmares and loss of time he used to get in weird times in his life were going to change his life.  He had been being abducted by aliens for years; They had been experimenting on him since he was very young.  Just before his 22nd birthday, almost right as he was going to finish his first Army enlistment, he had been accosted by them again, in which time the experiments took on an altogether more serious tone:  They made serious breakthroughs in his mind, and fused a circlet-type headband on his body with which to channel thoughts to him and control him.  The only thing was, he woke up during the surgery before they could finish.  He lashed out, learning that his headband could fire energy blasts, and was able to free himself from his grisly hospital.  As he fled through the corridors of the ship, seeking to evade and hide at every sign of the aliens searching for him, he found that he was able to detect their very thoughts.  This allowed him to escape them easily, as even though he couldn't understand their 'language', he could 'hear' them in his mind when they got near.  His blind escape-route lead him into some strange reactor room, and here he was cornered.  Scared he would die, he unleashed the power of his circlet again, firing blast upon blast in fear-filled, haphazard fashion... Severely damaging the reactor itself.  The aliens realized what was happening, and left David quickly, seeking the escape shuttles that would save their lives from the resultant destruction of the ship they were all in.  Luckily, David was able to follow them, and leaped into a capsule after knocking out the alien that had intended to pilot it.  He jumped in, had no idea how to maneuver the thing, and just hammered his fists at glowing buttons on the control screen.  Naturally, this knocked the capsule completely out of control and rocketed him pell-mell back to earth.  He survived the crash, and has ever since not been able to keep his identity secret... As he can never hide the circlet that is now a permanent part of him.

Combat Tactics/M.O.: Zeta-Man tries his best to enter combat cautiously, and gather information first.  But when he fights, he still fights like a teenager... Full of passion and energy, and rather brashly.

Personality/Character Traits: David is generally a likable young man; Boisterous and gregarious.  He's got a bit of a contagious happiness and 'it will be ok' attitude.  He's pretty determined, having learned this not only from his farmer's upbringing, as well as his military service... But from his life-threatening escapade on a UFO.  Still, he's young and inexperienced, and while he's not dumb, he's not too bright, either.  He's pretty prone to making brash decisions when he doesn't know what else to do, especially if there are pretty girls to impress!  He's very unhappy that his circlet is forever visible and cannot be concealed... He would have loved to have an 'alter ego' or 'secret identity'... But he does his best to protect his folks.

Ok... Long winded!  I also rolled 'stretch powers', but chose that to drop, and chose not to drop another to rid myself of his weakness.  Man... Trial by fire!  I rolled two powers that were basically 'Make this up yourself' (Psionics and Special Weapon)... With no experience with this game whatsoever Tongue

I just did my best to hip-shoot it, from reading from other powers in the book and looking at other V&V write-ups. 

Please criticize!  Did I calculate something wrong?  Is he way too out there, power-wise?  Would you not allow him for 'such and such' reason? 

This post is so huge, I am embarrassed actually.   Cry

Is there no spoiler command I can use on this forum to put around his background etc, so this thing isn't an entire internet page long? 
« Last Edit: Aug 6th, 2014 at 11:45pm by Merctime »  

Why do we park in driveways and drive in parkways?

IP Logged

merteuil
Teen Titan

Re: Zeta-Man
Reply #1 - Aug 7th, 2014 at 4:03am
Print Post  
I think it's a good work for a first shot !

Merctime wrote on Aug 6th, 2014 at 10:05pm:
b) Heightened Agility B (Device; 19 charges seperate from power blast charges; 1 charge per turn): +12

I've never thought about Heightened characteristics with device which need charges to operate. I've always assumed that in this case, the character just need to carry the device so the characteristics rise permanently.
Now i'm not sure i was right even i think that in this case, there will be a substantial difference between the Devices List and the Power List that will bring loss of balance.

Or maybe it's on purpose and the device is made that way ?

IP Logged

Dr.Demented
Teen Titan

who knows what evil lurks
in heart of man

Reply #2 - Aug 7th, 2014 at 5:20am
Print Post  
good start and great baclground Grin

YIM  
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #3 - Aug 7th, 2014 at 12:39pm
Print Post  
Great job, Merctime!  You actually made him up perfectly.  Like merteuil, I'd never really considered a Heightened Basic Characteristic like that to have charges, but the way you did it does make sense.

Ordinarily, most folks would just round off for the range and make it 20" (rather than 19.5"), as it's just easier and reads cleaner that way.

By making the headband permanently fused like it is, it's almost like he has another weakness.  Maybe he can wear a baseball cap to hide it, to give himself more of a secret identity?

You might take a look at the UFO freebie from FGU, as well as "Infinity Lounge" by Monkey House Games (I believe also free), as both deal with aliens that abduct humans.

Great work!

IP Logged

Merctime
Sidekick

V&V Newbie!

Reply #4 - Aug 7th, 2014 at 3:37pm
Print Post  
Thank you for the kind words and input, everyone!

Yeah, when I rolled 'device: Heightened Agility', I thought it might work out.  Just something that he uses when he needs that extra burst of speed for a short time.  It kind of worked out well that he already rolled a device, that being his 'special weapon'.  So, when I was trying to make all the random fit... I considered the captured by aliens bit and the implanting of some comic-booky kind of alien headgear. Hehe.

I appreciate the advice on looking up the UFO freebies, Majestic!  I'll certainly have a look at them to tighten up Zeta-Man.  I also can actually read the 'giant #5' and understand things now that I went through the process of making a character!  Now, for some mock-battles to see how the system works.

Have fun, everyone!  In a few days, I'll more than likely roll up another... Got some Real Life stuff going on currently, though...    Angry

IP Logged

Dr.Demented
Teen Titan

in heart of man

Reply #5 - Aug 7th, 2014 at 4:27pm
Print Post  
Real life happens Roll Eyes but we get thru Grin

YIM  
IP Logged

Merctime
Sidekick

V&V Newbie!

Reply #6 - Aug 7th, 2014 at 4:51pm
Print Post  
You betcha!  It's actually good stuff, too, so that's a bonus Smiley

Also, even though I like the idea of his headband, I am bummed about the lack of being able to hold a secret identity. 

Majestic, you bring up some great points!  If he were more of the four-color hero, I think I could just have him walking around in a fedora, much like one of your suggestions. 

However, I was wondering if anyone had any comic-science ideas on how he could have that band concealed when he wasn't in uniform?  Perhaps the alien metals fold 'into his skull', only coming out when the device is activated?  I am in the same frame of mind as Majestic, above... This being some sort of social disadvantage and therefore a weakness I'd need to list on the sheet.

I appreciate the advice and patience for a new guy Wink
« Last Edit: Aug 7th, 2014 at 5:15pm by Merctime »  

IP Logged

Dr.Demented
Teen Titan

in heart of man

Reply #7 - Aug 7th, 2014 at 8:41pm
Print Post  
we are all one big community here and help when we can Grin

YIM  
IP Logged

Hawk
Avenger

Reply #8 - Aug 7th, 2014 at 9:46pm
Print Post  
If you wanted to could you not say that on a subliminal level the device projects the image that it is not there, making people who see you not realise that you are wearing it. It could be something that the aliens did so that people would not know that their experiments walked among them. Whether this also worked against cameras would be up to you. The posibility that there are other "experiments" would allow for friends and/or foes for your character.
Just my 2 cents, for what it is worth. Smiley

IP Logged

Merctime
Sidekick

V&V Newbie!

Reply #9 - Aug 7th, 2014 at 10:44pm
Print Post  
Dude... Hawk, I like it!!  Maybe even tie it into his psionic mind-reading... only in reverse, kind of.  His psionic emenations effectively 'cloud the human mind' from noticing such an awkwardly obvious item.  Kind of like making it 'mentally invisible.'  I would probably have to word that so it didn't only work on humans for some games, though.

I love the part where you said that the aliens did that so people wouldn't know their experiments walked among them!!!  Holy crap, there is campaign fodder in that statement!  Thanks!!

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #10 - Aug 8th, 2014 at 1:06pm
Print Post  
Great idea, hawk!

IP Logged

Dr.Demented
Teen Titan