Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Time to suit up (Read 4867 times)
Detective27
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Time to suit up
Dec 15th, 2014 at 8:51pm
Print Post  
An explosion in the distance...you have mere moments to find a convenient place to set aside your persona and don a new identity to act fast in saving lives, stopping damage and thwarting evil. ( in that order kids, you know the old knight code of God, king and country, this is kinda like that)

Phone boothes are obsolete. Not everyone has poles to slide down like a fireman.

Unless you ice up, hulk out , or yell Shazam! You need to find a place to change into your crime fighting and life saving uniform.
That's right , uniform . Not a costume. That is something you wear on Halloween or in a play on stage.
A Hero's uniform is for one root purpose. Communication. The bright or distict color or shape is a presentation to any who behold it that you are there for a reason and you belong there.

Villians will recognize the uniform as a threat and focus violence on the hero, rather than civilians.

When you see flashing red and blue lights, don't you immediately recognize that you have to make way and let them do their jobs?
Police , fire fighters and Emt/paramedics all have uniforms to communicate to anyone, even if they don't speak or read the language, exactly who and what they are .

Heroes that refuse to put on the uniform are just creating more problems .
"Omg he saved me! "
"Who? What did they look like ?"
A guy in a grateful dead t shirt and a. "Fuck you" hat.
Real classy hero work bud.

So it's time to put it on . The last set of alt clothes you'll ever wear, unless you get different powers or turn evil.

So, they call these heroes 4 color. What 4 colors are they? There are only 3 primary colors. Is the. 4th color interchangeable? Some tint, tone or shade of a secondary color?
Yellow seems to be common, except for Green Lantern.
Blue is also common, except, again for GL. But then yellow and blue make green, so technically he has both in a secondary kind of way .
Black? Black is a shade, not a color. It's a modifier. I'll take it though. Seems many heroes wear black .
White is also a modifier. It is a tint. Pink is a tinted red.
Gray? You got it . Also a modifier born of both black and white called a tone.  These tones give feelings to a uniform.

Both Superman and Batman wear blue. Batman has a lot more tone and shade in his blue. "Dark and brooding " feel.
Superman's blue is more of a " look at me here I am" feel.

The whole purpose of this post ? To see if I could get a coherent first post that used a minimum of. 2500 characters.
Mission accomplished  .
I'll be back with more on this. But feel free on adding what you think should be a staple in a hero uniform.

IP Logged

Detective27
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Re: Time to suit up
Reply #1 - Dec 17th, 2014 at 8:31am
Print Post  
Assesories like breclets, belts, and the big one ; capes . They all serves as fashion but more so as function. The obvious utility belt doesn't just look cool, it has many cool functions.

Some heroes use a ring. ( thing ring do your thing!)

When you design the uniform, and there is a specific emblem or letter on it , think of what other function it may have.
Extra armor/ protection is popular. Maybe a remote tracker?

If you have a cape , is anything inside it? Hidden compartments ?

Is the uniform and it's assesories able to fit under normal clothes without detection ?
Are you a public hero ? Always prepared ? Dr. Strange?

Where do you put your civilian clothes if you do instant change?  ( maybe inside that nifty storage area in the cape?

Food for thought.

IP Logged

Guardian7
Avenger

VOLCANO MAN!!!

Reply #2 - Dec 17th, 2014 at 6:58pm
Print Post  
Costume changes...

That's always been an issue for anyone that doesn't transform (Firestorm, original Thor, Pheonix, Atom, Green Lanterns or most magicians) or have super speed (any of the Flashes, Superman Family possibly Whizzer or Quicksilver).

Everyone else has to put on one boot at a time.

Finding a place for that can be seriously hard and in some cases compromising.

The heroes that can fly might have an advantage, but even that could prove compromising.

Most heroes seem to do a side jaunt from the conflict while every one else runs in terror of stares in disbelief... Hopefully.

Course the FF and Challengers of the unknown always wear their uniforms... So no problem for them.

In any case it is a pain to be a hero!

Fun fun!

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #3 - Dec 17th, 2014 at 9:35pm
Print Post  
Great stuff, guys.  I remember that old side-note (in "The Great Iridium Con") that goes into some details on changing into costume/uniform, but I've been forgetting about this lately (I need to make sure characters take the time to change!)

As far as costume or uniform, I prefer the term costume.  I know it's not perfect, but to me it's far better than uniform.  Think of what that word means.  "Uni" meaning "one".  You're right that cops and paremedics and firemen wear them (as do I, at work), and they're called uniforms because they all look the same.  Since heroes have distinctive looks, I prefer costume (unless they're all the same, like the original X-Men, in which case I prefer uniform).

I'd always heard that black and white aren't colors at all.  Not sure what that fourth color would be? (good question!)

IP Logged

Detective27
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #4 - Dec 17th, 2014 at 9:38pm
Print Post  
Omniforms then? Lol. Work clothes?
Uni being "one" telling they area are all on the same side.  Opinions vary and I respect it.

IP Logged

Detective27
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #5 - Dec 18th, 2014 at 9:20am
Print Post  
Why wear a cape?
A cape commands attention, good or bad. People remember a hero in a cape. Much like animals in the wild , a cape can be made to make a hero look larger and more intimidating/authoritive then they may actually be.

Flamboyant as it may be, as with any aspect of a heroic uniform, they serve a purpose .  Ever see batman or superman without a cape? They don't look right.

In Many cases they are functional. Used as armor or some other defense. (Unless it was drawn by McFarlane, then the cape is crossing area codes)

Much like a matador uses it when fighting a bull. It can be a distraction to cover another action.

And sometimes , you just want to stay dry in the rain.

IP Logged

Guardian7
Avenger

VOLCANO MAN!!!

Reply #6 - Dec 18th, 2014 at 3:20pm
Print Post  
Technically it is a uniform... Though the colors may vary... They all pretty much say... Look at me, NOW! And let me be your focus.

The typical uniform can be crazy colored or it can be much like what the FF or X-Men (once wore).

It typically designates the wearer as something to pay attention to.

Unfortunately the foes can wear similar gaudy costumes. So unless they are wearing a red white and blue costume... It is not always apparent who is the good guy and who is the bad one.

The Floop Brothers (or Black Guard in my campaign) wear uniforms, so do both CHESS and Intercrime.
Most lackey's wear them as well.

But for established teams they are indeed uniforms eventually.

But heroes and villains have to be established...

Guess it's just subjective to your mindset.
« Last Edit: Dec 18th, 2014 at 5:40pm by Guardian7 »  

IP Logged

Detective27
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #7 - Dec 18th, 2014 at 9:48pm
Print Post  
What's he got to hide anyway?

Sure the villian was stopped but, look! He's fleeing the scene of a crime!

Masks.
The ability to simultaneously hide one identity and establish a new one.
It is to protect ones self and those close to them.

The empowerment of the mask is tenfold. You can say and do things without the fear of judgement or retaliation.

Whether it is a full mask. (Spider-Man) ski mask (ninja) half mask (batman) or domino mask. (Green lantern)
Maybe even a cool pointy "I'm cooler than robin" mask. (Fire star, mockingbird , hawk eye)

A mask establishes a new face associated with crime fighting and all around do gooding. Even Superman wears a mask of sorts, except his is reversed. He wears his mask. ( glasses) in his secret identity . (In the DC rpg , his glasses have a higher disguise skill than most play actors, and the power of cling, so I count it as a hero gadget)
Remember kids,
A mask lets you be emboldened to say what needs to be said .
" not so fast, naughty spawn!"
More so , it grants you that hidden courage to also do what needs to be done.

IP Logged

Guardian7
Avenger

VOLCANO MAN!!!

Reply #8 - Dec 19th, 2014 at 5:24am
Print Post  
Masks.... Yes.

We don't need heroes or villains to know about these.

We do it all the time... Especially here in this unreal cyber world.

We present what we wish to personify... Hold back those points of Ourselves others might find in objective... Being unaccepted...

So we humans are VERY accustomed to masks and the perceptions we weave of who and what we allow others to see... Out of fear for self and possibly those we love or care about.

So we do have an indepth understanding of how a mask works.
So no more discussion need be had about how Clark Kent can hide himself from others... We do it all the time.

Off on a tangent point: As twisted as this may seem... Sociopaths and many messed up individuals walk amongst us and seem to be nothing more than the mask they wear... Until exposed. Then the horror of they're reality is shown and nearly all are surprised at the undeniable truth of what those sort of humans are.

So someone putting on a four colored uniform and helping others becomes less far fetched than one may believe... In part because we want to believe...

Example. In Spider Man 2, when Peter is unmasked... Though this may be reaching on my part, I think that those people on the train needed or wanted to believe enough in what Peter had done that they saved the hero that rescued them and might well preserve his secret... Because it was that secret that made it possible for that boy to save them...

It was the mask that helps make him bigger than life... Because we love our heroes.

It is so human to love those who protect us... If we could only un-jade ourselves and trust.

Then maybe there would be no need for masks of any sort... But until we can expose the good within ourselves (if it really is there)... Masks will be a likely and necessary evil... To combat it.

Bit preachy I know... But I do believe this to be true.

If wearing a mask was to inspire people to be better... I would be the first in line to wear one... Oh... And a cape!!

Gotta have the cape!

Okay... I do have the cape... *wink*

IP Logged

Detective27
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #9 - Dec 20th, 2014 at 9:47pm
Print Post  
Today's incidents in NYC remind me that armor should be considered when putting the uniform together . To cover vital organs and the head. Maybe even a Kevlar mask ( and cape!)

Days like today make me wish Batman were for real .

IP Logged

Detective27
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #10 - Dec 24th, 2014 at 5:12pm
Print Post  
These boots were made for ...

How long will those nikes last on that speedster?
What if the hero is struck on the foot? Steel toed boots?
How well can you balance and stealth wearing cowboy boots?
Consider the source of your footwear. And the practicality of them.

IP Logged

Detective27
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #11 - Dec 25th, 2014 at 8:58pm
Print Post  
What we got here..is a failure to communicate.
Com link , cell phones, blue tooth.
If a hero is out fighting crime, does he or she have a link to the world around via smart phone ? If so, where is it kept? How is it kept from damage when you take a power blast?

If it is an in ear communicator, there can be a question of tracking and detection from 3rd parties that you might not want to have your information.

I suggest investing in a telepath

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #12 - Dec 26th, 2014 at 7:23pm
Print Post  
Detective27 wrote on Dec 25th, 2014 at 8:58pm:
If a hero is out fighting crime, does he or she have a link to the world around via smart phone ? If so, where is it kept? How is it kept from damage when you take a power blast?

Most of our heroes nowadays carry smart phones.  I'm glad you mentioned this, as I'm going to have an attack someday (perhaps one that hits on a defense, or an attack that 'goes wild') damage a player's smart phone.

I would imagine that - in real life - that would really piss somebody off!  Good opportunity to role-play that frustration!  Angry

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #13 - Dec 28th, 2014 at 11:22am
Print Post  
Detective27 wrote on Dec 24th, 2014 at 5:12pm:
These boots were made for ...

How long will those nikes last on that speedster?
What if the hero is struck on the foot? Steel toed boots?
How well can you balance and stealth wearing cowboy boots?
Consider the source of your footwear. And the practicality of them.

Large Cosmic Types just have to have Big Ass Boots. The kind that go up to the knee and flare upwards and outwards from there.

It just fits.

IP Logged

Detective27
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #14 - Dec 28th, 2014 at 4:27pm
Print Post  
Fits like a ...Glove?

"Hand print identification please"
Uhh...
Whether your hero takes out bad guys with a microwave blast, wields a weapon or solves problems wither fists, the hand probably needs both protection and a way to make use of powers without hinderance.
How can the skin tight leather gauntlet withstand the energy blast emiting  from the hand?
Even UFC fighters complain about hand fatigue from constantly pushing against the resistance from the gloves. (It does allow for harder hits and less damage to the hand )

Can the hero use fine manipulation to deactivate a bomb wearing those cool, yet bulky padded hand wraps?

Remember kids , it's about role playing fun. Have your heroes explore solving these frustrations in game play. (But don't let it derail the campaign)

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #15 - Dec 29th, 2014 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
Detective27 wrote on Dec 28th, 2014 at 4:27pm:
How can the skin tight leather gauntlet withstand the energy blast emiting  from the hand?

In all my supers games, I've established that it is the default that a person's costume, uniform, or gear works flawlessly in tandem with their powers.  In fact, I think it says or implies this in the V&V rules.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #16 - Dec 30th, 2014 at 12:26pm
Print Post  
How do the gloves work in tandem with super powers?  Easy; protomatter!

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Detective27
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #17 - Dec 31st, 2014 at 11:23am
Print Post  
Does the speedster not get hurt when punching a for at max speed ? If his HTH damage may normally be 1d10 and velocity damage stacks another 4d10, does his glove protect them from their own power ?
I always thought that was something that should be fleshed out in game play.

IP Logged

Guardian7
Avenger

VOLCANO MAN!!!

Reply #18 - Dec 31st, 2014 at 11:55am
Print Post  
I always played it like they could clip someone for half damage incurring no damage to self... But full damage reflected half back at themselves... Without special protection... Like impact resistant gloves.

D27:  T's Speedway had them... It was an invention of his so he could strike full force.

To allow a hero to strike full force makes them a hyper fast brick... At least make them pay for it.

Way I see it...

If Speed Demon shrikes Mountain Man... And fails to do damage beyond his basic hits of 40 (or a wall's structure points) he remains in place (ala his weight).... Ouch to their hands... Which were only designed to punch for their HTH... Not for the further die+whatever.

But I at least tried to meet them halfway... Ala super speed aura (not to be mistaken for invulnerability).
« Last Edit: Dec 31st, 2014 at 11:56am by Guardian7 »  

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #19 - Dec 31st, 2014 at 5:16pm
Print Post  
Well, the rules say (after the Projectile Velocity Chart):

"Apply the bonus given to the damage scored in ramming or thrown brawling weapon attacks. Do not apply to normal muscle-powered or technological ranged weaponry." [emphasis mine]

So what I've/we've done is make a mechanic for Ramming.  We might have done half damage at one point, I'm not sure.  Now only really tough, strong characters use it as an attack form.  And thus it better models what you see in the comics.

Speedsters are still really powerful, as they get to move so often.  But I'd never 'nerf' their abilties, or I don't think it would be fair.  Just like all others, their superpowers should work just fine with their outfit (costume/uniform).

IP Logged

Detective27
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #20 - Jan 1st, 2015 at 11:06pm
Print Post  
Your public persona.
What are your street clothes? How do you act when not wearing the mask?
Do you hesitate to help in fear that your secret identity be revealed? Do you help as an ordinary citizen ?

What if you are framed or accused of a crime, and your only alibi is your costumed alter ego?  Do you expose your secret to exonerate yourself?

Doors that open for a hero are closed to a "Norp" as I hear cops call them. (Norp stands for Normal ordinary regular person)

Ears that once listen to your Hero side of events are suddenly deaf to you.

Some heroes have a public identity. That avoids many problems but presents an entire chapter of new problems to handle .

IP Logged

Detective27
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #21 - Jan 8th, 2015 at 8:38pm
Print Post  
Who does your dry cleaning?

How do you get that stain out of your prestige 4 color outfit? Do you have a spare so you can spring into action, or do the bad guys win until after the air fluff cycle?

Heroes tend to take pride in their ride, and threads.

IP Logged

>