Poll
Poll Question: What is the perfect size for a comic book superhero team?
bars   pie

0 (0.0%)
  0 (0.0%)
  3 (18.8%)
  5 (31.2%)
  5 (31.2%)
  1 (6.2%)
  0 (0.0%)
  2 (12.5%)

Total votes: 16
« Created by: Baretta on: Jan 11th, 2015 at 10:24pm »
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) What is the perfect size for a comic book superhero team? (Read 2656 times)
Baretta
Avenger

Former V&V Player

What is the perfect size for a comic book superhero team?
Jan 11th, 2015 at 10:24pm
Print Post  
When I was growing up, this was a topic my friends and I discussed more than once. As an adult, I am not sure that there is a perfect size for a comic book superhero team. But here are some observations I've noticed from comics.

When a team has few members, it is a major plot point when one of the members is on leave or injured (instead of a subplot with larger teams).

The smaller the team, the more likely the team will have a supporting cast of friends and allies (both powered and non-powered), similar to the supporting cast of a solo book.

Once a team reaches about six members, there's a good chance that one member of the team has  connections to a nefarious subplot that will jeopardize the group. This is almost guaranteed once there are seven more members in the group.

Once there are eight members of the team, at any given time a subplot will likely force at least one of them to take a leave of absence for personal/medical/etc. reasons.

No matter how large a team technically may be, seldom are there more than seven active members.

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Re: What is the perfect size for a comic book superhero team?
Reply #1 - Jan 11th, 2015 at 11:46pm
Print Post  
I voted seven based solely upon your comments.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #2 - Jan 12th, 2015 at 12:26am
Print Post  
Seven works well.

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #3 - Jan 12th, 2015 at 8:46am
Print Post  
The Big Three
The Couple/Bromance
The Loner
The Audience Perspective

Writers like seven, GM's six and really don't need the last one. Wink
« Last Edit: Jan 12th, 2015 at 8:47am by Ranger »  

aka Dracos aka DarkStar aka Star Guard

IP Logged

Detective27
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #4 - Jan 12th, 2015 at 11:06am
Print Post  
I think it all depends on the group dynamics. If they are heavy hitters with a vast array of powers, 3 will suffice .
However if you want a balanced team, and all your bases covered, you need more.
1-2 shock troopers (bricks, tanks, what have you, they can take high damage without worry)
1-2 infantry,  (scrappers and martial artists go here)
1-2 artillery. (They can hit stragglers and help at a distance with power blasts or some other range weapon)
1-2 flyers.  (These are good for drop and extract , recon, or air support combining an artillery hero or power)
1 mentalist. (Usually uses telepathy to keep the group connected and coordinate tactics non verbally, they can also scan for hidden enemies)
1 speedster. (Huge advantages for recon, rescue and evacuation )
1 stealth. (Sneaky sneaky person. )
1 area effect defender. (Someone has to play defense to keep the artillery and mentalist from being hurt too badly. Force fields and ice powers are good)
1 special power. (The ace in the hole, an unexpected or difficult to counter power or ability , plant control and gravity control are good)

Of course you can have many categories  combine in one hero.
Martian manhunter is a mentalist, flyer, artillery, stealth, and infantry .
I think when one hero covers more than two cat agonies, the team becomes more reliant on that person, so when they are incapacitated, the team is thrown off balance.

So in my eyes , the perfect number is 10.

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #5 - Jan 12th, 2015 at 3:16pm
Print Post  
I could never imagine being able to give proper attention to that many major characters in a story. I could see switching some in and out as your main focus but even with seven that's an iffy proposition.

Take Marvel's movies for instance. Avengers was highly successful but only because they had invested the effort into developing each of the characters in individual movies before hand. Even then Hawkeye was left with a bit part because there just wasn't enough room for his story.

I think it's why the Justice League movie is doomed to under perform. They're going to push a massive glob of characters, and that includes Batman's new face, at the audience with undeveloped or bit characters. Like Hawkeye you might like the character but will ultimately find their story under-whelming

DC has great characters. Marvel has great stories. Edge Marvel ... for now.
« Last Edit: Jan 12th, 2015 at 3:18pm by Ranger »  

aka Dracos aka DarkStar aka Star Guard

IP Logged

Guardian7
Avenger

VOLCANO MAN!!!

Reply #6 - Jan 14th, 2015 at 3:48am
Print Post  
I was successful in juggling lots of characters.

But I did use a semi realistic formula for who was there? How soon they could appear as needed? Did the group divide and conquer if necessary? Whose skills/powers were/might be  needed in a specific time or place?

Juggling multiple characters in a story was less about what the number of characters were and more about the management skills of the GM.

Though my teams started relatively small for me (typically 8 or as large as 10)... If you played like it was the two world... Sometimes characters simply could not be where needed.

In my games... And rarely was this NOT the case. I used the Crusaders.

That's 6 from the get go... Add one PC and you have an automatic 7, I never had just one player.

NOTE:  not including later on solo missions which typically featured outside NPC chara (Pulsar, Smasher, Skyhawk, Unicorn etc) I had wanted to use, but we're not a members or were a distant reserve member (Tomahawk, Vibron, Ebony Angel, etc).

If the team could be assembled... They would... But typically, barring a severe emergency (Grond's/Mass's city attack, the storms from the Destroyer's mod, the nuclear bomb that from Force, etc) some people had lives kept them away.

Laserfire, Sunburst, Titan and Dreamweaver were all in school. Leaving could and did cause storylines.

Manta Man and Intercepter had companies to run. Technically Enforcer had his detective agency...

So typically depending on the time of day (remember even heroes sleep) there were only a couple at the Citadel at any given time. Rarely was it the Avengers or League just milling about... And at least the league had a teleporter.

So my team was large... everyone couldn't always be there... But they did they're best... In the end my team numbered 17+

Only chara who didn't shine were the ones who tended not to.

There was no reason Hawkeye couldn't have gotten more screen time.
Some of the Iron Man flight scenes could have been shortened or cut from.
Maria certainly didn't need more screen time than Hawkeye...
They also during his solo scene could have had him talk to himself (Hawkeye was prone to do this in the comics) mentioning aspects of his life...

What's the call there? Bad Writers/Editing... Just like what's going to happen to anyone beyond Superman and Batman movie... Because they are going to fail If they dump chara on viewers with no depth to them because they are second fiddle.

It doesn't matter if your team is a duo like Batman & Robin or Power Man & Iron Fist or as big as the Legion of Super Heroes or the Avengers.

What mattered was his they were managed.

The ideal number is only 7 because writers only have 22 pages to write a story...

A game is only as small as your imagination...

Only depends on how you... Maintain and assemble it... Just listen...

http://youtu.be/o-dUgFg1BiI

*wink*
« Last Edit: Jan 14th, 2015 at 3:51am by Guardian7 »  

IP Logged

Matt
Justice Leaguer

Super hero role-playing
& Bronze Age comics fan

Reply #7 - Feb 16th, 2015 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
I think six is about as many as you can have and stil give each adequate focus.  Gyrich was right.

IP Logged

Klystron
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Feb 17th, 2015 at 12:38pm
Print Post  
I voted seven, simply because it allows you to cover the bases without having demi-gods as characters. You can run as large a team as you like, if you can keep it straight and I have run up to 13, but it does interfere with game dynamics. When you have a group that all gets together all the time, as we did when I started this game in the early 80's, it makes combat drag out.

It does allow for great interactions because there is a 100% probability that someone will not like what someone else did/said, and turmoil in a team is great for roleplaying and GM ideas.

IP Logged

Matt
Justice Leaguer

Super hero role-playing
& Bronze Age comics fan

Reply #9 - Feb 17th, 2015 at 4:19pm
Print Post  
I'm not interested in "covering all the bases" or creating a team that covers Phony "archetypes" proposed by Champions. I like a team made up of characters who are viable on their own. Like the Defenders or the Avengers. When someone can't show up, it doesn't matter because there's no "slot" they fill in particular.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #10 - Feb 17th, 2015 at 10:04pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I have run up to 13, but it does interfere with game dynamics. When you have a group that all gets together all the time, as we did when I started this game in the early 80's, it makes combat drag out.

My hat's off to you, Klystron.  I had ten regulars (me and nine players) for quite awhile, and even that was tough.  You have to be a really good GM to have that many people wanting to game with you (and yet I agree, it can really get slogged down, and isn't really ideal for RPing, IMHO).

IP Logged

Klystron
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Feb 17th, 2015 at 11:07pm
Print Post  
Thanks, Majestic.

It was very tough and I had to wing it a lot.  If I had not been running a total rip-off, err I mean amalgamation, of something I knew well, it would not have come out as well as it did.  I was not happy with the whole game and neither were the players.  We were in the Air Force at the time, so getting everyone together for the weekend was easy but the group broke up after only two campaigns. Some people drifted off to form their own group and we were left with just the core that started V&V with us. I think it was more the game than my abilities that got such a large group together. The comic books attracted them, not my legendary skills.

I can say this: I will never run a game with that many again. I care too much to the details and finer points of the game now than I did then. Seven is about it for me. Maybe eight if they are good gamers.

IP Logged

>