Poll
Poll Question: Does V&V feel like superhero comics?
bars   pie

Yes, V&V captures the feel of the best comics    
  3 (17.6%)
The game is a playable approximation of comics    
  11 (64.7%)
With enough house rules, V&V can feel like comics    
  2 (11.8%)
No, the game doesn't feel at all like comics    
  1 (5.9%)

Total votes: 17
« Created by: Baretta on: Feb 2nd, 2015 at 9:12pm »
Normal Topic Does V&V feel like superhero comics? (Read 1755 times)
Baretta
Avenger

Former V&V Player

Does V&V feel like superhero comics?
Feb 2nd, 2015 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
There are probably more options, and more nuanced responses, than the four categories listed above. Feel free to elaborate.  Smiley

IP Logged

Tempest
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Re: Does V&V feel like superhero comics?
Reply #1 - Feb 2nd, 2015 at 10:35pm
Print Post  
I was torn between "V&V captures the feel of the best comics" and "The game is a playable approximation of comics", but chose the latter because, ultimately, a game has to make rule accommodations - otherwise, it's just not a game; it's a GM telling a story with the PCs as volunteer proxies.  As much affection as I've got for the game engine and the system design as a whole, M&M falls into that unfortunate trap where die rolls are to be discounted if they just don't fit the game/story progression.  My feeling - as I've discussed with my brother - is that, if you're going to just discount unwieldy die rolls for the sake of GM storytelling fiat, then don't bother rolling the damn dice in the first place: just sit the players down and tell them what happens to their characters.  A genuinely well-designed RPG, in my opinion, must be willing to accept the occasion (or frequent) bung-up rolls that come through.  Hence the "playable approximation of comics" choice; the story being wrought is the result of PC and GM interaction and, hopefully, innovation; the die rolls are something we pray are going to turn out in somewhat coherent fashion.  If not...well, we're going to have to just work with the "approximation" thing and hope that, together, we can come up with something that doesn't do too much more than strain the limits of narrative logic while still maintaining faith with die-rolling mechanics.

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #2 - Feb 2nd, 2015 at 11:36pm
Print Post  
Well said.
[EDIT: 2/3/15 - 8:17AM] I asked a friend yesterday if V&V felt like comics. His answer after discussion said that it depended on how often the GM used visual media and theater of the mind.
He (Clyde) said when it's on the map, and too far into inches and calculation the "glow" fades. When we made his character and I drew it for him and everyone had a good illustration of their toon, the glow stayed as long as everyone kept the roleplay end up.

From a personal perspective, I had a lot of fun back in 1985 when art had a lot to do with what we did, but that might just be how my brain works?
« Last Edit: Feb 3rd, 2015 at 7:37pm by AlabasterKnight »  

If it's not fun, we're not doing it right.

IP Logged

Klystron
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Feb 6th, 2015 at 7:00pm
Print Post  
I think the feel of any RPG depends greatly on the GM and the other players.  I have been in Monty Haul games that were boring and games where you racked your brains for every inch. As long people role-play their characters and the GM promotes good story-telling, even the simplest part of a game can be exhilarating.

Comic book characters should have some character flaw and yet be able to overcome it to win the day. I voted for the house rules option as there needs to be some modifications to make things fit into the game the GM and players want to play. I also think V&V is more than a playable approximation of the books.

I like the game because you never know how it will end, not even the GM. If the players are crafty, they will come up with options no one could have anticipated and blow the entire well considered plot. Like a good story, a well-run campaign will lure you in and then blow your mind.

IP Logged

Lord Inar
Justice Leaguer

Reply #4 - Feb 6th, 2015 at 7:25pm
Print Post  
For me, V&V does comics better than any other game due to the wild nature and lack of "balance" in character creation.

IP Logged

>