Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Who's your favorite homebrew villain? (Read 4761 times)
Phrennzy
Avenger

I'm very pretty!

Who's your favorite homebrew villain?
Feb 6th, 2015 at 10:20pm
Print Post  
Everyone has the bad guy compendiums, and that's all well and good.  But aside from Dr. Apocolypse, and Force, and Motivator, and Headhunter - what about the homebrew bad guys?

What's the name of your biggest, baddest archvillain?

I've got a couple, but they're striking because of the comedy involved:

Mr. Roboto - a disembodied electrical 'spirit' who can posess robot bodies and is determined to free robotkind from the rule of man (he considers any electrical device to be a free willed machine, and will soon try to liberate Siri from the clutches of an Apple Store).  His sonic cannon fires bursts of Styx's "Mr Roboto" when he fights.

Mister Fister - a lunatic who can project an animated hand to grab, squeeze and crush heroes.  Followed by his henchmen, the Fists, who cry, "All heroes fear Mister Fister."

You get the idea.  We've all put so much into the game - I'd love to hear your favorite badguys.

IP Logged

80sGamerGeek
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Re: Who's your favorite homebrew villain?
Reply #1 - Feb 7th, 2015 at 12:39am
Print Post  
Mr. Fister?  I have to say, when I read that name it conjured up an entirely different image...

I can't say that I have a single favorite villain.  I do have a few that I have a special fondness for:

1. The Goblin King: A former robotics engineer for DARPA who suffered a psychotic break after his wife and daughter were killed in a freak accident.  Believing himself to be Alberich, the dwarf king from the Niebelungen (he suffers from pseudo-achondroplasia, a form of short-limbed dwarfism). Operating out of a number of secret lairs beneath the streets of Atom City (my primary campaign setting), he launches periodic attacks against the "surface world."  He employs an army of robotic goblin and troll minions, piloting drill-nosed tank-like vehicles.

Just a goofy, fun villain.

2. The Hand: Immortal sorcerer who claims to have been the inspiration for the biblical story of Cain (of Cain and Abel fame), as well as the Tooth Fairy and the Sandman (he regularly murders children to steal their teeth and eyes to use as components for his spells).  He is a powerful sorcerer (most of his spells involve summoning and controlling demons) and his right hand has been replaced by an enchanted Hand of Glory that grants him additional powers useful in carrying out his wicked schemes.  Although his spells render him effectively immortal, they do not entirely protect him from the ravages of time, and his body is wracked by dozens of diseases and debilitating conditions.

He is a member of The Grotesquerie (a loose cabal of the most powerful & evil sorcerers and supernatural beings in my campaign world) and has several minions empowered by demons he has bound to their souls: Bone (who has invisible/immaterial skin and indestructible skeleton), Grinning Man (a demented strangler who can only be seen via peripheral vision; if looked at directly, he is invisible), Lepus (a super-strong, axe-wielding maniac who wears a bunny suit), and Freeshooter (a master marksman with enchanted bullets).

I just like this guy because he is probably the single most wicked character I have ever created, just pure evil. 

3. Crowbar: Super-strong, invulnerable bruiser who wields a crowbar in combat.   Muscle for hire for the local mobs. 

Not sure why I like this guy so much.  Might be a nostalgia thing, as he was my go-to NPC whenever I needed a strong guy thug to throw at my players back in the heyday of my gaming days.  The players always groaned when he made an appearance, because they knew they were in for a fight.

4. Almost forgot: The Paranormal: A psychopharmacologist who developed potent psychic powers after a traumatic brain injury (he was shot in the forehead).  He was recruited by The Hive, a terrorist group that used psychically powered agents, using their facilities to fund his experiments to develop a drug to further enhance his powers, until he went rogue after killing a dozen of their agents.  He suffered periodic psychotic episodes as a result of his brain injury and drug experimentation. 

He was fun to run because he was: a. powerful enough to take on a whole team of PCs single-handed (he had telepathic, force field, and energy blast powers), and because, thanks to his psychotic episodes, the PCs never knew who they would be facing, a cool-headed, utterly ruthless master planner, or a totally unhinged raging maniac.
« Last Edit: Feb 7th, 2015 at 12:46am by 80sGamerGeek »  

IP Logged

Phrennzy
Avenger

I'm very pretty!

Reply #2 - Feb 7th, 2015 at 2:49am
Print Post  
Youre not mistaken about Mister Fister.  His origins come from a spiderman panel.  But i changed his modus operandi...

sandyfisting.jpg ( 29 KB | 6 Downloads )
sandyfisting.jpg

IP Logged

80sGamerGeek
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #3 - Feb 7th, 2015 at 3:16am
Print Post  
Wow!  Not the Sandman's finest hour.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #4 - Feb 7th, 2015 at 11:19am
Print Post  
I love Grinning Man concept

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #5 - Feb 7th, 2015 at 11:48am
Print Post  
Some of my major villains are in no order:

The Secret Shogun:  Kaizen Shuku  was the legendary American Screen Cowboy and retired astronaut, Johnny West.   Off screen he was one of the first CHESS agents and ran the first modern, but clandestine super groupd, the Secret Seven, against  Stalin's  Illithid Superiors.    He ended up drinking from the Black Grail, the cup used to collect Judas's blood after he  died, and it corrupted him.   He became dark, scarred and paranoid. 
He formed the Assassin Nation, which ruled of all of Asia's organized  crime families; Thugies, Si Fan, Yakuza, and founded the Kodo Cult.  He was defeated and was imprisioned, but was rescued by one of his generals, also a member of the Secret Seven,  Jack Woo, who was undercover as the Celestial, leader of the Si Fan.   

So is Jack really undercover, or did all his years as playing "Fu Manchu" turn him?

Next big baddy was  Dr. Hiroshe, he ran the day by day of the Kodo cult.  He had no powers, he was a Japanese Lex Luthor.   He was rich and charismatic.   He was killed, but he died after seeing the destruction of two of the greatest threats to the return of his vision of a restored Japan; Toyko, and Beijing.   

His plot to destroy  New York was foiled by the first public grouping of super heroes.  This started the Age of Heroes.

Next villain was the Control Freak.  He was a two headed, tentcled armed, three legged being with mind control.  He stole the secret of creating super powers from  Dr. Acopolous' mind and formed the Freak Squad.   Their rampage in Seattle was legendary.   He returned latter and was killed but not before nearly killing the poor doctor, burning him with acid. This  covered the doctor's body with scars and has confined him to a wheel chair.

The Octopus was a former CHESS hero, but he got the mad idea to invent his own god.  He created the sentient computer virus 10100101, which brought down the world's electronic systems.  The Octopus was killed and his god was quarantined .

Who is the master villain now?   I am not telling....
« Last Edit: Feb 7th, 2015 at 1:45pm by John »  

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Klystron
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Feb 7th, 2015 at 12:59pm
Print Post  
Okay, that picture of Sandman and Spidey was disturbing.

My favorite bad guy is called Fungus. I like him a lot because he is a complicated and not unsympathetic character who has been hoist on his own petard.

Born with a freakishly high intelligence quotient, Stanley Melnick could have been the prototype for Sheldon Cooper. Specializing in biochemistry he became fascinated with mutations and super humans and set about researching methods to control such mutations and improve the human species. He earned his PhD at age 20. It would have been two years earlier but his thesis was so advanced it took the best scientists at his university that long to understand what Melnick was talking about.

With his high intelligence, Melnick holds a disdain for what he calls the “superstitions, taboos and monkey customs of the unwashed”, by which he means laws and social conventions. He is not evil in the Hannibal Lechter/Fu Manchu sense. Rather he is simply amoral in the extreme, believing what he thinks should override what is understood by his intellectual inferiors. This permits him to perform whatever experiments he sees fit on whatever subjects he deems necessary for the advancement of his work.

He began his post-doctoral work with promising results in finding ways to halt and cure cancer. This was an unintended result of his mutation work and his research showed how to halt the mutated cells that are cancer. He had no interest in furthering that line of study, preferring it left to lesser minds as he pushed the boundaries of mutation further. He believes moving the entire species forward will not only cure cancer but all other human diseases by creating people immune to such mundane silliness.

Forced by the Board of Regents to further his cancer research, which Melnick believed was only for monetary gain (he is not wrong), he chose to ignore the order. Instead, he was able to bluff his Dean for a time while he accelerated his mutation research. This caused him to overlook certain interactions, which he would have normally seen because they took time to develop. Rather than wait, he chose to trust his own abilities and perform the experiment on himself, which as we all know, always turns out well. His purpose was to prove he was right and force the Board of Regents to approve his line of research with the promise of even further monetary gain and scientific advancement. Of course, the experiment had unintended and foreseen consequences. Stanley Melnick ceased to be and Fungus was created.

He now has the ability to transform into a mutated state.  His body becomes covered with a mustard yellow, fuzzy, mold-type hide.  He sprouts bat-like wings which enable him to fly at about 130 mph. He has natural weaponry in the form of claws on his hands, feet and the bony extensions that form his wings. The mold-like covering also can produce spores that cause LSD-type hallucinations in those around him.

Melnick typically remains in his original form as laboratory equipment is designed for use by people, not bat-like mold monsters and his research is paramount. He will assume his Fungus form for combat, escape or to intimidate others.
Much of his encounters with the players involve some scheme he has created to raise the capital necessary to further his research. He is capable of executing anything he can think of in this goal as he is completely without a moral compass, is not distracted by the desire to rule others and is still convinced of his own infallibility. He blames the Regents for his accident because they were obviously too stupid to see where his work was leading.

To date, he has created rudimentary people to help him, is near perfecting his Almost People into true Artificial People who are genetically superior to normal humans but not “super” as yet. He has engaged in drug running as a means of making large amounts of quick cash and stolen the Statue of Liberty in an attempt to extort a quick billion or two from the U.S. government.

Fungus is a character I will always find a way to keep around, if I can figure a way to make it at all plausible.

IP Logged

80sGamerGeek
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #7 - Feb 7th, 2015 at 1:14pm
Print Post  
THE ONI wrote on Feb 7th, 2015 at 11:19am:
I love Grinning Man concept

Me, too!  Smiley

Grinning Man was actually inspired by a cryptid of the same name: http://theparanormalfiles.org/The_Grinning_Man

As was Lepus (well, more of an urban legend than a cryptid): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bunny_Man

Freeshooter came from German folklore: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freisch%C3%BCtz

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #8 - Feb 7th, 2015 at 3:05pm
Print Post  
I wish I could jump in on this one but my only PC is John and he has not met the Major Villains yet, just heard of them

Dr. Adamant

Mr. Dragon

Dr. Frog

IP Logged

Phrennzy
Avenger

I'm very pretty!

Reply #9 - Feb 7th, 2015 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
Goblin King sounds just my style of goofy but frightening.

I love the Octopus and his idea of creating a god in the form of a computer virus.  That is an idea I'm totally stealing. 

IP Logged

Baretta
Avenger

Former V&V Player

Reply #10 - Feb 7th, 2015 at 8:50pm
Print Post  
HOMEBREW

Level: 6
Side: Evil
Sex: Male

Powers:
1. Heightened Intelligence A: + 17
2. Adaptation: PR = 1 per hour or per use as a defense.
3. Chemical Powers (permanent): Howebrew is living liquid. As such he can slip through cracks and alter his volume, following the guidelines for stretching powers.
4. Natural Weaponry: +3 to hit, +6 damage.
5. Heightened Speed: +7 initiative, + 200"
6. Regeneration: Requires one action to recover Hit Points equal to Healing Rate. Heals damage from cold/ice attacks normally.

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #11 - Feb 7th, 2015 at 10:40pm
Print Post  
I was always fond of my former drill sergeant's homebrew villain Hawkmoth. He had a special attack that was akin to a Paralysis Ray that Sgt. Fortson described as a mucus discharge from Hawkmoth's super-proboscis.

If it's not fun, we're not doing it right.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #12 - Feb 8th, 2015 at 2:17am
Print Post  
Phrennzy wrote on Feb 7th, 2015 at 5:52pm:
I love the Octopus and his idea of creating a god in the form of a computer virus.  That is an idea I'm totally stealing. 

In a RPG, stealing another guy's idea is the best compliment you can give! Smiley

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Matt
Justice Leaguer

Super hero role-playing
& Bronze Age comics fan

Reply #13 - Feb 21st, 2015 at 2:36pm
Print Post  
Lord Destroyer, Superbadd, and the Bamboozler spring to mind.

Lord Destroyer predates any knowledge of this "Dr. Destroyer" ripoff from Champions

Superbadd predates the movie by at least a decade as his name was borrowed from a James Brown song.

Oh, and there were Zombie Shogun and King Frankenstein Genius...Dr. Atomic Sled...Dracula Jr., the Atomic Fiend, the Freak from the Bayou, Psychedelitron, the Cyberphobe, the Electric Behemoth, Pharaoh Madman...!

Mr.Murder, Judge Plague, Iron Skull, Professor Skull of the Wasteland, Assassin Bug, Warhead the Nuclear Man, Peace Hawk, War Wolf, Mind Master, the King of Diamonds, Living Lava, Krazy Klown...!
Too many memorable bad guys!
« Last Edit: Feb 21st, 2015 at 2:51pm by Matt »  

IP Logged

Phrennzy
Avenger

I'm very pretty!

Reply #14 - Feb 22nd, 2015 at 3:07am
Print Post  
Matt wrote on Feb 21st, 2015 at 2:36pm:
Dracula Jr.  Mr.Murder.  Iron Skull.  War Wolf.  Living Lava

I love em - especially Living Lava. 

IP Logged

Matt
Justice Leaguer

Super hero role-playing
& Bronze Age comics fan

Reply #15 - Feb 22nd, 2015 at 2:00pm
Print Post  
Phrennzy wrote on Feb 22nd, 2015 at 3:07am:
Matt wrote on Feb 21st, 2015 at 2:36pm:
Dracula Jr.  Mr.Murder.  Iron Skull.  War Wolf.  Living Lava

I love em - especially Living Lava. 

Living Lava is the recurring nemesis of the Polynesian super hero Tiki Man.

IP Logged

Avenger

I Love Comic's and RP.
V&V got me started

Reply #16 - May 22nd, 2015 at 12:53pm
Print Post  
back when we still played V&V i had a villain called Momentum. He could absorb kinetic energy from damage and convert it to speed and dex. His only other power was flight. Which also got boosted when he was hit. The players eventually defeated him and i brought him back a few times but each time they beat him I had to come up with new ways to bring him back finally had to just let him stay gone

If something seems to good to be true, it's best to shoot it,just to be safe
IP Logged

>