Poll
Poll Question: Which power is the best offense?
bars   pie

Disentigration Ray    
  2 (15.4%)
Devitalization Ray    
  1 (7.7%)
Gravity Control    
  2 (15.4%)
Ice Powers    
  3 (23.1%)
Light Control    
  1 (7.7%)
Magnetic Powers    
  0 (0.0%)
Paralysis Ray    
  3 (23.1%)
Vibratory Powers    
  1 (7.7%)

Total votes: 13
« Created by: Baretta on: Feb 12th, 2015 at 3:22am »
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Which power is the best offense? (Read 9441 times)
Baretta
Avenger

Former V&V Player

Which power is the best offense?
Feb 12th, 2015 at 3:22am
Print Post  
The poll limits the number of options to eight, so I tried to select a variety of powers that have special attacks built in -- but don't let that stop you from replying, for example, that Power Blast or Lightning Control or Flame Power or Sonic Abilities are the best offensive powers.  Smiley

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Re: Which power is the best offense?
Reply #1 - Feb 12th, 2015 at 1:46pm
Print Post  
To me Paralysis Ray is one of the most powerful (nearly broken, such that we very much regulate its use), but I went with Gravity, as you can not only lock down multiple people (and keep them from doing anything, not much different than Paralysis), but it can also allow you to fling them to the ceiling, causing massive damage via falling (but at negative Gs).

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #2 - Feb 12th, 2015 at 9:29pm
Print Post  
It seems to me that Gravity Control works best when you make a target weightless as opposed to magnifying their weight.  I know this presents it's own problems (ie: the character pushes off a wall and slams into the gravity controller) but it seems to me that super-strong characters can overcome several multiples of their own weight and still come at the attacker.

Someone mentioned a few months back in another thread that Ice Powers is the "deadliest."  I tested this myself and realized that it *is* extremely deadly with the in-between turn damage.  It also has the added bonus of being a minor "Illusion B" power.

One thing I learned about Paralysis Ray from this forum is that it's *not* "paralysis."  It's actually STUN Ray.  When I first read the rules back in the 80's, I assumed that the wake-up roll was for regaining control of your body and *not* a literal wake-up roll.  I agree that it's very powerful because it can end an epic battle quickly.  If it's defined as truly "paralysis" it's not as powerful because the victim still has use of their mental abilities (and maybe a few powers such as Flight at the GM's discretion.)

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #3 - Feb 12th, 2015 at 9:35pm
Print Post  
After considering, I voted "Paralysis Ray."  I define "best" as "the most versatile" because paralysing a target allows the attacker to quickly and safely subdue an opponent without harming them.  Afterwards, the attacker can decide how to dispose of the target (death, imprisonment, etc.)

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #4 - Feb 14th, 2015 at 11:44pm
Print Post  
I went with disintegration ray because it can do the most physical damage to objects regardless of SR. Not the epic killer paralysis is it can be very useful depending on the current team objective

aka Dracos aka DarkStar aka Star Guard

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #5 - Apr 21st, 2015 at 1:20pm
Print Post  
Of the powers listed, Light control will inflict 2.86 points of damage per power point spent on attacks. Only Power Blast beats it at 2.94 points of damage per power point spent on attacks. This takes into account how many times an attack hits and range of the attack.

Of course both of these powers have marginal defense capability, but this was "Best Offense", not "Best Overall".

That's just looking at the math. Of course it does not take into account creative uses for other powers (like animated servant or solid illusions).
« Last Edit: Apr 21st, 2015 at 1:23pm by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams
"The GM is the balancing mechanic" - Klystron

IP Logged

Phrennzy
Avenger

I'm very pretty!

Reply #6 - Apr 21st, 2015 at 8:23pm
Print Post  
Ironnerd wrote on Apr 21st, 2015 at 1:20pm:
Of the powers listed, Light control will inflict 2.86 points of damage per power point spent on attacks. Only Power Blast beats it at 2.94 points of damage per power point spent on attacks. This takes into account how many times an attack hits and range of the attack.

Of course both of these powers have marginal defense capability, but this was "Best Offense", not "Best Overall".

That's just looking at the math. Of course it does not take into account creative uses for other powers (like animated servant or solid illusions).

Are you using it with the 8 to hit or the 14?

IP Logged

Klystron
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Apr 21st, 2015 at 9:03pm
Print Post  
I went with gravity control not just for the offensive capabilities, which are legion and mentioned elsewhere in this thread, but also the power stunts you can do with it. If handled with proper imagination, including acrobatics, levitation and limited flight. I think it is one of the most versatile and least able to defend against.

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #8 - Apr 22nd, 2015 at 6:39am
Print Post  
Phrennzy wrote on Apr 21st, 2015 at 8:23pm:
Are you using it with the 8 to hit or the 14?

I went through the combat table and averaged the % chance to hit of each attack type vs each defense type. For Light Control, that's an average of 36% chance to hit (the highest was Disintegration Ray at 66%). Then I looked at the damage of the attack. For light Control that is 2d8, which has an average damage of 8 per successful attack. So, 36% of the time a character attacking with Light Control will do 8 points of damage, and 36% of 8 is 2.88 2.86 points of damage per attack (not just successful attacks, but all attacks attempted). Light control also has a pretty basic range, which is Basic Characteristic x 2.  Attacks with shorter range line Disintegration Ray had that damage per attack value reduced (by 50% for Disint. Ray, because it's range is half that of Light Control using a completely Average Character). Lastly, Light Control has a low power cost of only 1 per attack.

All this means that on average, a character with Light Control will expend 1 power point for every 2.88 2.86points of damage inflicted.

Why would I do any of this? I was curious. I had no idea what kind of results I would get, I had no thoughts or theories on the matter of which attack or defense power was the best, so I looked at ways to compare all of the various powers against one another.

I found out a couple of interesting points. First is that powers that make for a good offence don't seem to make for a good defense. Second was that powers that have bonus abilities (like Lightning Control or Flame Power) seem to give up some offence/defense capacity in favor of the added ability.

Power Blast is even better as it inflicts 2.94 damage per power point expended, but it wasn't on the list. Power Blast also has a better defense than Light Control, but Light Control has other abilities (blinding flash attack, and light for mundane uses).

None of this takes into account awesome powers like "Paralysis Ray" that hit's about 52% of the time and knocks the target unconscious, thus taking him out of the fight. This only measures damage inflicted per power point expended on attacks.

Power Blast            2.942
Light Control            2.862
Sonic Abilities            2.319
Disintegration Ray      1.649
Lightning Control      1.135
Flame Power            1.077
Vibratory Powers      0.554
Chemical Powers      0.402
Transmutaion            0.366
Ice Powers            0.093

Edited:
Typo. Light Control does 2.86 dmg per power point, not 2.88
« Last Edit: Apr 22nd, 2015 at 6:43am by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Phrennzy
Avenger

I'm very pretty!

Reply #9 - Apr 22nd, 2015 at 9:17am
Print Post  
Average of 2d8 is 9, not 8. 
I was curious if, for the to hit number for light control, you were using 8 for the to hit, or the 14 misprint.

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #10 - Apr 22nd, 2015 at 10:56am
Print Post  
Oh, "8". I am guessing the "14" was in the old printing from the 1980's. I retired mine when I got the new printing a few years ago.

Edited:
Got my die rolls wrong...

And my math was wrong, the average roll for 2d8 is 9, not 8. Which makes light control slightly more powerful, giving it an averaged 3.219 points of damage per power point spent on attacks, moving it above Power Blast.

Thanks for the correction.
« Last Edit: Apr 22nd, 2015 at 11:07am by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Phrennzy
Avenger

I'm very pretty!

Reply #11 - Apr 22nd, 2015 at 11:47am
Print Post  
Ironnerd wrote on Apr 22nd, 2015 at 10:56am:
Thanks for the correction.

Everyone forgets that .5.
Did you use 10 or 10.5 for power blast/disintegrate?

The main factor here is range.  On totally average characters, you're talking 20" for light, 10" for powerblast.  That 10" is really almost always a moot point, since the powerblaster can close range if the laser guy tries to stay within firing range of his own weapon.

Taking out the range factor, powerblast is nearly double the power of light control. 

Where light control shines (lol) is the relatively few defenses against it, including the big ones; of adaptation, force field, non-corporealness, and vibratory, only adaptation has any effect. 

Accuracy improvements from agility, ht expertise, training, etc, scale better for light control too.   

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #12 - Apr 22nd, 2015 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
GAGH!!! AGAIN! I used "10". Average on 1d20 is (1+20)/2 or 10.5. Except for having Power Blast and Light control swapped, I have stuff in the right order, but some numbers were off. Light Control does more damage per power point spent on attacks than Power Blast (0.130 points)

Again - thanks to Phrennzy for keeping me honest.

Taking range out of the equation does move things around a bit, basically giving a boost to shorter-ranged attacks. PB moves to the top of the hurt pile. It's simple, direct, and does some nice damage. Light power is a bit more useful, better range, more utility, a bit more damage, but less defensive ability.

It all depends on what kind of character you are trying to create. In "reality" (game reality, that is), no power stands alone. All powers are part of a system we call a Character.
« Last Edit: Apr 22nd, 2015 at 1:51pm by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Phrennzy
Avenger

I'm very pretty!

Reply #13 - Apr 22nd, 2015 at 6:39pm
Print Post  
Just discussing Light Control and Power Blast, Power Blast comes in second place.  The damage high might be greater, but the damage low is lower.  And the bell curve on LIght Control's damage is a significant bonus over the straight 5% of power blast's damage increment. 

But it is soooooooooooooo satisfying to roll 1d20 for damage.   Grin

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #14 - Apr 22nd, 2015 at 7:08pm
Print Post  
I agree totally.

There is a lot more to the powers than you see at first glance.

I really don't think there is a "Best power", but it's always fun to discuss the pros and cons of the various powers.

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Matt
Justice Leaguer

Super hero role-playing
& Bronze Age comics fan

Reply #15 - Apr 22nd, 2015 at 8:35pm
Print Post  
Which power is the best offense...honestly is irrelevant to me. I go for what makes an interesting and fun to play character rather than combat effectiveness of efficiency.  Seems more like a Champions/Hero System preoccupation! At least that's what seemed to matter to folks I played Champs with.

IP Logged

Matt
Justice Leaguer

Super hero role-playing
& Bronze Age comics fan

Reply #16 - Apr 22nd, 2015 at 8:37pm
Print Post  
I am amazed at the minutiae you guys get into in your analyses of the various powers, though.

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #17 - Apr 23rd, 2015 at 6:39am
Print Post  
Matt wrote on Apr 22nd, 2015 at 8:35pm:
Which power is the best offense...honestly is irrelevant to me. I go for what makes an interesting and fun to play character rather than combat effectiveness of efficiency.  Seems more like a Champions/Hero System preoccupation! At least that's what seemed to matter to folks I played Champs with. 

BOOM! Matt hits it on the head again!

Honestly, I was curious to see if there were any patterns in "Ye Olde Combat Table". Then CDO (OCD in alphabetical order) kicked in. It was, however, very enlightening - and kinda fun.

You'll note (or at least someone will note) that I left out Hand to Hand. Damage vs Power Point Used is off the chart since HtH does not use any power at all. By some math, that makes HtH the most potent attack - and it's not even a power.

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #18 - Apr 25th, 2015 at 5:37am
Print Post  
I see Phrennzy beat me to the punch on the average damage issues.  And I think it's important to note that Range is pretty much a non-existent matter, being as 99.99% of the time it doesn't even factor into the equation.  In thousands and thousands of games of V&V over three decades plus, I struggle to remember if there's ever been a single incident of Range even coming up; all told I could count on one hand the number of times it ever has.

I don't think I've ever seen Power Blast used as a defense, either, even after we incorporated the "Counterblasting" rules years ago.

And I think Power Blast would be taken by players 99 times out of 100, as it's just so much better in so many ways (I can only remember one PC with Light Control over the years. and I think he might have had Light Control x2).  Not only is the damage better (10.5 as opposed to 9, on average), but it's way, way more accurate and also has that really low Power cost.

IP Logged

Matt
Justice Leaguer

Super hero role-playing
& Bronze Age comics fan

Reply #19 - Apr 25th, 2015 at 10:19am
Print Post  
Wait, you aren't rolling randomly for powers and playing yourselves?! Get off my lawn!

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #20 - Apr 27th, 2015 at 8:20pm
Print Post  
Matt wrote on Apr 25th, 2015 at 10:19am:
Wait, you aren't rolling randomly for powers and playing yourselves?! Get off my lawn!

We do roll randomly for powers (though we've even tweaked those rules, and have a few powers that are chosen), but I've only "played myself" once (maybe twice) in the thousands of times I've played V&V.

From polls we've done here before, it seems that the actual 'playing yourself' contingent is a pretty small minority.

IP Logged

Matt
Justice Leaguer

Super hero role-playing
& Bronze Age comics fan

Reply #21 - Apr 27th, 2015 at 11:16pm
Print Post  
What will you crazy kids think of next!

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #22 - Apr 28th, 2015 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
Just about all these, when used properly, are extremely good powers to have offensively.  But one power one of my characters has, that has proven to be extremely powerful in a "defensive" way is devitalization ray.  Especially when used in multiple attacks, this can drain an enemies power extremely quickly. Also attacking as paralysis ray, it seems to hit a lot.

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself -- Steven Segal

IP Logged

Lord Inar
Justice Leaguer

Reply #23 - May 13th, 2015 at 3:23pm
Print Post  
I played myself once. I just couldn't relate to the character.

IP Logged

Lord Inar
Justice Leaguer

Reply #24 - May 13th, 2015 at 3:26pm
Print Post  
For general utility, I still say Power Blast because of everything Majestic said.
« Last Edit: May 13th, 2015 at 3:28pm by Lord Inar »  

IP Logged

Lord Inar
Justice Leaguer

Reply #25 - May 13th, 2015 at 3:35pm
Print Post  
Matt wrote on Apr 25th, 2015 at 10:19am:

Just how old do you think most of the people on this board are?

I say if your attack/defense grid isn't 32x46, get off MY lawn!

(I kid! I kid!)

IP Logged

Phrennzy
Avenger

I'm very pretty!

Reply #26 - May 14th, 2015 at 8:55am
Print Post  
Lord Inar wrote on May 13th, 2015 at 3:23pm:
I played myself once. I just couldn't relate to the character.

That's funny, that is.  Where's the Like button?

IP Logged

>