Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Weaknesses (Read 11142 times)
AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Weaknesses
Feb 18th, 2015 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
In a different thread, Majestic had said that he had not (sic) seen a single instance of Weakness Detection successfully used. This really made an impact on me to read because he's been running V&V for a very, very, very (30 years +) long time.

The game has Weaknesses in it, and because of the structuring of character generation, they can be optionally discarded prior to ever seeing the light of day.

This brings me to the point of asking what's the point of having Weakness Detection even listed as a formal power?

The other side of the coin is that I've always been a huge believer in characters in *any* super hero roleplay having gameable Weaknesses in exchange for some value of their character.

Weaknesses aren't going away from V&V as I am sure we can all agree that they are an intrinsic part of superhero narrative.

How can we make the system of having Weaknesses more meaningful?
« Last Edit: Feb 18th, 2015 at 8:09pm by AlabasterKnight »  

If it's not fun, we're not doing it right.

IP Logged

Phrennzy
Avenger

I'm very pretty!

Re: Weaknesses
Reply #1 - Feb 18th, 2015 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
Eliminate the reduced stats as a weakness, and elaborate more on other weaknesses.  Then allow two rolls on the Weakness table and the hero MUST keep one dropping the other for free. 

I agree that most heroes have what would be considered weaknesses: 
Wolverine: Low Self Control
Iron Man: Low Self Control (Alcoholism), Special Requirement (Chest implant)
Superman: Vulnerability (kryptonite), Vulnerability (Invulnerability does not work vs magic), Special Requirement (Sunlight)
Daredevil: Diminished Senses (Blind)
Black Bolt: Mute (well, kinda)

Heroes with flaws are much more interesting than those with none. 

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #2 - Feb 18th, 2015 at 9:24pm
Print Post  
Well... about reduced stats as Weaknesses; perhaps they only apply to saves?
If a character is "sickly", any save using an Endurance roll comes at a penalty and so forth?

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #3 - Feb 18th, 2015 at 10:19pm
Print Post  
I think a lot of the weaknesses have to do with the way the GM runs the game. Why they should be hindrance, in some situations, they shouldn't be a game stopper. He needs to be able to integrate them into the storyline, while allowing the PCs a chance to overcome them, and succeed. That's the whole point of having them. Despite the fact that the character has some real or perceived issue, they don't let it stop them from being a hero.

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #4 - Feb 18th, 2015 at 10:42pm
Print Post  
Phrennzy wrote on Feb 18th, 2015 at 8:26pm:
Black Bolt: Mute (well, kinda)

As written, Black Bolt's "Mute" weakness is within the rules since he's reluctant to speak.

I'd just like to add:
What about overcoming weaknesses through training/inventing?  What should be the limitations on that?

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #5 - Feb 18th, 2015 at 11:05pm
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Feb 18th, 2015 at 10:19pm:
I think a lot of the weaknesses have to do with the way the GM runs the game. Why they should be hindrance, in some situations, they shouldn't be a game stopper. He needs to be able to integrate them into the storyline, while allowing the PCs a chance to overcome them, and succeed. That's the whole point of having them. Despite the fact that the character has some real or perceived issue, they don't let it stop them from being a hero.

I agree with you. They should never stop the game.

But individually at various times they should present reasonable obstacles either in role play or combat that result in a change in decision or tactics.

However, there should be reasonable chance that they cannot be overcome in the moment, hence the idea of a Weakness comes to bear in the player's actions to game them. GMs shouldn't use them as a club nor a crutch, they should be the player's burden to own.

And I do think, DN, that there should be a method for reducing and eventually eliminating their effects, or if circumstances are correct trading them for alternatives as the character's narrative changes.

IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #6 - Feb 19th, 2015 at 2:34am
Print Post  
I'm interested in Weaknesses because they are one of the few tables that every super powered hero and villain rolls on. Used well, they can elevate a character with a dilemma, an obstacle or a true danger that adds richness to the story. Used badly, they can wreck a character and disrupt the fun we are trying to create.

The biggest challenge with weaknesses is balance. The guy who starts his character with just 3 powers is reluctant to drop another one in order to do away with the weakness, even if it's a whooper. Meanwhile the gal who has 7 powers can pick and choose - a doozy of a weakness can be avoided by dropping the power that least fits their character concept (or just isn't powerful enough), while somewhat minor weaknesses can be better tolerated with their wider array of powers.

It's a real problem that I think most GMs encounter at some point in a V&V campaign, and some really struggle with. I don't, of course, but that's probably because I'm not afraid to bend the rules.

Smiley

RAMBLE

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #7 - Feb 19th, 2015 at 2:43am
Print Post  
Display Name wrote on Feb 18th, 2015 at 10:42pm:
I'd just like to add:
What about overcoming weaknesses through training/inventing?  What should be the limitations on that?

I say leave that up to the player and GM work out during game play. It should be something gradual, if at all. Look at Cyborg of the Teen Titans, he spent years, trying to be "human" again, and all it ever seemed to get him was grief. He eventually came to terms with something that the people around him seemed to not let bother them.

Or in a case like Wolverine's berserker rages, they became less and less of an issue as time went on. All of which would be represented by actual role playing during the course of game play.

Weakness can also be used as a plot device by the GM, to force the characters to actually use their brains, and not depend on their powers. If Optimum Man, with his weakness of "total power lost when exposed to Moon Dust", who's used to being able to smash his enemies with his super strength, or incinerate them with his laser vision, suddenly finds himself teleported to the surface of the Moon, he's going to have to do some fast thinking to get out the the situation.

YIM  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #8 - Feb 19th, 2015 at 2:46am
Print Post  
Ramble wrote on Feb 19th, 2015 at 2:34am:
It's a real problem that I think most GMs encounter at some point in a V&V campaign, and some really struggle with. I don't, of course, but that's probably because I'm not afraid to bend the rules.

The thing is Jeff and Jack flat out tell you that if a rule is a problem, or you just don't like it, change it. They encourage you to make modifications to the base rules. If something is causing you heartburn, or just doesn't sit right with you, alter it to your liking, and the same should go for weaknesses. If it's to powerful, downgrade it.

YIM  
IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #9 - Feb 19th, 2015 at 3:10am
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Feb 19th, 2015 at 2:46am:
Ramble wrote on Feb 19th, 2015 at 2:34am:

The thing is Jeff and Jack flat out tell you that if a rule is a problem, or you just don't like it, change it. They encourage you to make modifications to the base rules. If something is causing you heartburn, or just doesn't sit right with you, alter it to your liking, and the same should go for weaknesses. If it's to powerful, downgrade it.

True, but this isn't just "I don't like the way Gravity Control works." That's a rule you can stare at, see if you can wrap your head around it, and adopt or replace.

I'm referring to a situation that comes up often because of a few key dice rolls (rolling 1d6+2 for powers) that create characters that don't mesh well. And if you wait until they start playing the characters I often think it's too late and you're stuck playing catch up.

RAMBLE
« Last Edit: Feb 19th, 2015 at 3:11am by Ramble »  

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #10 - Feb 19th, 2015 at 11:15am
Print Post  
Ramble wrote on Feb 19th, 2015 at 3:10am:
a situation that comes up often because of a few key dice rolls (rolling 1d6+2 for powers)

This, in my view is part of the issue. I'll break it down by prefacing that the reason some (all) of us at one time or another find issue is because some (all) of us have *house rules* to cover deficiencies we perceive.

The 1d6+2 powers random roll is a huge thing not because the random, but because it's only half the weight of fairness in a final character.

Think ((1d6+2) x (Power x Versatility)) - Weakness =  Value

All Powers just aren't created equal and in the formula above we complicate it further by randomly rolling to see what each Power is.

I see the issue with that being too much variance across the board with mechanical uses of each power.  We all can agree that Ice Powers are far more versatile than Waterbreathing.

This is the Versatility that currently is left to the player to recognize and GMs to arbitrarily modify and I think this is a major symptom why we all have house rules that don't match.

If we had a system to weight each of the Powers into categories by Versatility (instead the current organization of the tables by "power", "device" or "skill"), then Value could be balanced and give Weaknesses a fair shake to not be dropped.

For me, the goal is to get to a place where new GMs and players can easily pick up this game and still use 33 years of awesome.
« Last Edit: Feb 19th, 2015 at 11:18am by AlabasterKnight »  

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #11 - Feb 19th, 2015 at 5:42pm
Print Post  
Lots of really great points here.  I totally agree that the reduced Basic Characteristics are just plain a bad idea.  Unless somebody rolls really 'well' (i.e., a 2 or a 3 on 2d6), players are likely to scrap them.

I actually like the idea of 3.0 - and it's something we've already incorporated into our House Rules - of corresponding weaknesses with powers.  So if a player wants 4 powers with no weaknesses, that's fine.  If he wants 5 Powers and 1 weakness, then that fifth power will be equal to (in strength and versatility) that weakness.  And a sixth power will correspond to a potential second weakness.

AK hit the nail on the head with something else: the wide variance one gets with 1d6+2.  Not only are the powers (and weaknesses) widely varying, but PCs can end up with anywhere from 1-8 powers, depending on how lucky they are.  I like the varying power levels that V&V can have, to a degree, but 1d6+2 is just way too swingy.

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #12 - Feb 19th, 2015 at 5:59pm
Print Post  
This is a good perspective thread. What is the 3.0 thing? I didn't see that mentioned?

Over 1000 posts! Just noticed that. John, I see a donation coming your way!  Smiley

IP Logged

Klystron
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Feb 19th, 2015 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
Weaknesses are an important part of this game and are often overlooked or mis/underused, in my experience.

I rarely let a player drop the weakness, but almost never make them roll for it. To my way of thinking, weaknesses should fit the characters powers just like the powers are supposed to fit together to make some type of theme or sense. We work something out that can be role-played and debilitating under the proper circumstances. Weaknesses should create tension and drama and help the player role play.

I like the idea of house rules to customize the game to suit our groups and this is one thing I would not create a rule for. Play it straight up, create a weakness that counts and make sure the player lives up to the role.

I am very fond of special requirement for powers (Namor), phobia or psychosis (especially for villains, like Magneto), and low self control affecting the powers (Hulk, Cyclops and Rogue).

I also tend to let the players train away the weakness over time, if practicable. This simulates growth as a person and makes the players feel more connected to their characters. It also exactly explains leveling up in practical terms.  As an aside, I also encourage players to train in their powers as appropriate.  For example, a character with telekinesis can pick things up with their mind but if they train in that power, eventually they will be able to pick locks. I also have allowed telekinetic players to eventually get a sense of the physical size and density of an object, by familiarity with their power, but that takes a long time to develop.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #14 - Feb 20th, 2015 at 2:36pm
Print Post  
AlabasterKnight wrote on Feb 19th, 2015 at 5:59pm:
This is a good perspective thread. What is the 3.0 thing? I didn't see that mentioned?

Jeff and Jack's V&V 3.0, which a few of us saw a small preview of a few years ago (and they've shown small bits on their website, mostly a few years ago).  Here's how I've adapted it to our current game, just to give you a flavor (note that this is just similar to their concept):

Instead of receiving 1d6+2 superpowers, characters get
four base powers (rolled randomly), then two powers
(chosen) that are tied to two weaknesses. When rolling
for the four base powers, the player can choose two
tables from the list of superpowers on p. 2-3. One must
be the Skills chart, and the second can be chosen from
any other list. As an example, a player decides to select
from the Magic/Psionic Items table and the Skills table
and rolls a 23. They then have a choice of taking Emotion
Control or Heightened Defense. After rolling randomly
for the four base powers, they may then choose any two
powers from any of the tables (working with the GM to
insure game balance). These two selected powers are
directly linked to two weaknesses, rolled on the
Weaknesses Table on p. 3. For instance, a player chooses
Heightened Strength and Invulnerability. They then roll
for weaknesses and get Low Self-Control and
Phobia/Psychosis. These two are now linked, so
Heightened Strength corresponds to the Low Self-Control
and the Invulnerability ties to the Phobia/Psychosis. The
player then gets to choose how significant the weakness
is, but it is tied to the super power for approximate
power level. To do this, the player should select A
(weak), B (standard, generally as per the rulebook), and C
(strong). In other words, if a person takes Heightened
Strength and gets +20, then their Low Self-Control will
have to be something quite severe that affects the
character regularly. If the player only got +7 from the
Heightened Strength, then the Low Self-Control should be
much less significant.

IP Logged

Baretta
Avenger

Former V&V Player

Reply #15 - Feb 20th, 2015 at 9:15pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Feb 20th, 2015 at 2:36pm:
If the player only got +7 from the
Heightened Strength, then the Low Self-Control should be
much less significant.

Low Self-Control: The character with +7 Strength must save vs. Charisma d20 each turn or spend 7" of movement admiring his physique in the closest mirror.

IP Logged

Matt
Justice Leaguer

Super hero role-playing
& Bronze Age comics fan

Reply #16 - Feb 21st, 2015 at 7:03pm
Print Post  
I think every character should have some kind of weakness whether or not it's formalized on the list of powers. At least the player should give his character something like that to make the Roleplay more interesting.  Perfectman doesn't interest me. The overconfident showboater who gets in over his head, or the granny's boy struggling to makes ends meet while feeling compelled to risk his neck fighting crime, those guys are fun to play. But I don't really need it spelled out in the rules.

One area other games get it wrong in my opinion is giving players extra power in exchange for taking a weakness or a responsibility or code of conduct.  I feel those things should go without saying in a comic book super hero roleplaying game. Maybe it's just me and the folks I play with.

IP Logged

Matt
Justice Leaguer

Super hero role-playing
& Bronze Age comics fan

Reply #17 - Feb 21st, 2015 at 7:07pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Weaknesses are an important part of this game and are often overlooked or mis/underused, in my experience.

I rarely let a player drop the weakness, but almost never make them roll for it. To my way of thinking, weaknesses should fit the characters powers just like the powers are supposed to fit together to make some type of theme or sense. We work something out that can be role-played and debilitating under the proper circumstances. Weaknesses should create tension and drama and help the player role play.

I like the idea of house rules to customize the game to suit our groups and this is one thing I would not create a rule for. Play it straight up, create a weakness that counts and make sure the player lives up to the role.

I am very fond of special requirement for powers (Namor), phobia or psychosis (especially for villains, like Magneto), and low self control affecting the powers (Hulk, Cyclops and Rogue).

I also tend to let the players train away the weakness over time, if practicable. This simulates growth as a person and makes the players feel more connected to their characters. It also exactly explains leveling up in practical terms.  As an aside, I also encourage players to train in their powers as appropriate.  For example, a character with telekinesis can pick things up with their mind but if they train in that power, eventually they will be able to pick locks. I also have allowed telekinetic players to eventually get a sense of the physical size and density of an object, by familiarity with their power, but that takes a long time to develop.

I like the cut of your jib.

IP Logged

Baretta
Avenger

Former V&V Player

Reply #18 - Feb 22nd, 2015 at 12:59am
Print Post  
Matt wrote on Feb 21st, 2015 at 7:03pm:
One area other games get it wrong in my opinion is giving players extra power in exchange for taking a weakness or a responsibility or code of conduct.  I feel those things should go without saying in a comic book super hero roleplaying game. Maybe it's just me and the folks I play with.

I agree that personal codes of ethics and responsibility are generally part of a character's ethics and shouldn't be counted as a weakness.

For example, Batman's decision not to use guns or Spider-Man's decision to take care of his aunt aren't weaknesses IMV. These are character choices.
« Last Edit: Feb 22nd, 2015 at 1:00am by Baretta »  

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #19 - Feb 23rd, 2015 at 12:22pm
Print Post  
Baretta wrote on Feb 22nd, 2015 at 12:59am:
Matt wrote on Feb 21st, 2015 at 7:03pm:

I agree that personal codes of ethics and responsibility are generally part of a character's ethics and shouldn't be counted as a weakness.

For example, Batman's decision not to use guns or Spider-Man's decision to take care of his aunt aren't weaknesses IMV. These are character choices.

I totally agree with the essence of what you guys are saying, so this next part is going to sound strange.

Have you heard the expression when someone looks at you after having a conversation about insanity or some such, and they say, "We're all a little crazy" ? Crazy isn't crazy if it doesn't impair your daily life. I've known a lot of people that do behavioral things that in a vacuum, someone who doesn't know them would certify them. Psychologists will echo this sentiment.

That's the same view clinically about what makes a weakness like those work. We all have a frail old aunt, but how often does her involvement impair normal functioning? We all might have ethics or codes of conduct, but how limiting might they be?

Now I firmly agree that there isn't a perfect exchange of value for that in terms of having powers, but in terms of value, they give the GM specific leverage that the character can choose to allow for roleplaying depth.

Batman not using guns - yea, I don't think that's a weakness at all. But a code versus killing a foe certainly can be.

Aunt May is a  sweet old lady. Spidey taking care of her isn't too much of a stretch, but Doc Ock dating Aunt may creates all sorts of possible exploits.

It's all good, whatever works in your campaigns.  Smiley
« Last Edit: Feb 23rd, 2015 at 12:24pm by AlabasterKnight »  

IP Logged

Baretta
Avenger

Former V&V Player

Reply #20 - Feb 23rd, 2015 at 12:45pm
Print Post  
AlabasterKnight wrote on Feb 23rd, 2015 at 12:22pm:
Aunt May is a  sweet old lady. Spidey taking care of her isn't too much of a stretch, but Doc Ock dating Aunt may creates all sorts of possible exploits.

Not sure I follow what you're saying. If Spider-Man's comic was an RPG, throughout the course of the campaign, Doc Ock began dating Aunt May. It's a Revoltin' Development!

But that's not a weakness you'd put down on a character sheet. Spidey doesn't have Weakness: Aunt is engaged to a super-criminal.

I disagree about codes against killing as a weakness, since the rules pretty much say that heroes don't kill villains.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #21 - Feb 23rd, 2015 at 4:47pm
Print Post  
I think adding things like Dependent: Frail Old Aunt could very much be a solid weakness.  In fact, I think such a story factor could/would not only be interesting for potential stories (for the GM), but might actually affect the hero more commonly than Special Requirement: Must drink a formula every day, or Vulnerability: Takes triple damage from Magnetic attacks.

Not every hero had an absolute code against killing.  Some heroes will try not to kill, but if in the use of their powers the villain is killed (accidentally), it's no big deal.  Others it would very much debilitate them.

One of my players fairly recently accidentally killed a villain and he role-played how much it affected him, just because that's how he felt the character would react.  He didn't actually have a weakness for this written on his character sheet, but he very well could have, based on the impact it had on his character (who withdrew from his teammates and was very bothered by what happened).

IP Logged

Klystron
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Feb 23rd, 2015 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
Some very interesting conversation here.  Just to muddy the waters a bit, I'll add a little more.

While I don't normally consider an avoidance of killing as a weakness per se, I think a lot depends on the why of it and who is killed. 

If the character has a great reverence for life based on faith, deity, philosophical requirement, etc., that would be a weakness and needs to be role-playing accordingly.   If the character has an aversion to killing based on the code, that is something different.  It should have an effect but should not be debilitating.

Now if the victim is an innocent bystander, especially a kid, that is killed or even severely hurt by a missed shot from the hero, I would expect that hero to be twisted for a while. Maybe even to the point they need professional help or perhaps withdraw from the hero business . That opens up a great plot line for the GM to get the hero to hero again.

The frail old aunt, I would not have as a weakness despite that being the weakness assigned to The Suit in Hostile Takeover.  A dependent child, however,  might qualify. 

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #23 - Feb 23rd, 2015 at 11:00pm
Print Post  
Baretta wrote on Feb 23rd, 2015 at 12:45pm:
If Spider-Man's comic was an RPG, throughout the course of the campaign, Doc Ock began dating Aunt May. It's a Revoltin' Development!

Yeah, I thought of Doc Oc's engagement to Aunt May as a "Revoltin' Development" myself.  Instead of "Secret Identity of Player Discovered" it was more like "Secret Identity of Player Jeopardized."

Majestic wrote on Feb 23rd, 2015 at 4:47pm:
I think adding things like Dependent: Frail Old Aunt could very much be a solid weakness.  In fact, I think such a story factor could/would not only be interesting for potential stories (for the GM), but might actually affect the hero more commonly than Special Requirement: Must drink a formula every day, or Vulnerability: Takes triple damage from Magnetic attacks.

Champions has this weakness, doesn't it?  I guess Marvel does, too...?

Quote:
The frail old aunt, I would not have as a weakness despite that being the weakness assigned to The Suit in Hostile Takeover.  A dependent child, however,  might qualify. 

Technically, the Suit's "elderly mother" is noted in the additional information section, but I agree that it's presented in a way that interprets it as an additional weakness.

IP Logged

Matt
Justice Leaguer

Super hero role-playing
& Bronze Age comics fan

Reply #24 - Feb 23rd, 2015 at 11:51pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Now if the victim is an innocent bystander, especially a kid, that is killed or even severely hurt by a missed shot from the hero, I would expect that hero to be twisted for a while. Maybe even to the point they need professional help or perhaps withdraw from the hero business . That opens up a great plot line for the GM to get the hero to hero again.

Exactly what happened to Black Lightning in an old storyline. Caused a psychological block where he "lost" his powers. "Regained" his powers in Batman & the Outsiders #1 and eventually dealt with the inadvertant death of the bystander in a later issue.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #25 - Jul 31st, 2015 at 4:14pm
Print Post  
Thread Necromancy!

Okay, our new way of "rolling up" heroes (see Reply #14 above) had never yet caused us to have a 'stillborn' character (that was pretty undesirable to play, that the player wanted to just drop immediately).

But my son just created a new PC, and - mainly due to his two nasty weaknesses - he's not at all eager to play him.  His two 'extra' powers were both taken at Level C (really powerful), so his two random weaknesses would be correspondingly crippling (Level C).  He got Reduced Charisma and Reduced Endurance, and rolled really high for both (-14 and -13).

So I finally decided to tackle a project I've meant to do for a LONG time, which is come up with a new (read=better) Weaknesses Table.  Still using most of the old ones, just ditching the reduced physical Basic Characteristics, and adding in the many other ones that really aren't covered very well with the existing RAW.

So here's what I've come up with so far.  I've already combined a whole bunch of them, and I'm sure there's a few more on here that are similar to each other (enough that they could be combined, like I did for Code of Conduct/Oath).

Please let me know of any you think are too similar to each other.  Or speak up if you think of more weaknesses that should be added.

Addiction
Amnesia
Arrogant/Overconfident
Bigotry
Bloodthirsty
Code of Conduct/Oath
Compulsion
Dark Secret
Dependent NPC
Diminished Senses
Disgraced/Notoriety
Duty/Obligation
Enemy/Rival
Fanatical/Zealot
Fearful
Flashbacks
Glory Hound
Greedy
Hunted/Wanted
Lack of Self Esteem
Limited Education
Low Self-Control
Mute
Paranoid
Phobia/Psychosis
Physical Handicap
Poverty
Prejudice
Quirk
Reckless
Reduced Charisma
Special Requirement
Stubborn
Treacherous
Vengeful
Vulnerability
Weak-Willed
Weirdness Magnet

IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #26 - Jul 31st, 2015 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
What would the weakness "lack of self-esteem" do? I'm asking from a game perspective, what would a hero with this look like?

When I think quirk, I think GURPS, which made quite a bit of sense for that game. What would a V&V character with quirk look like?

I included a weirdness magnet in my Signs of the Zodiac book, so I'm totally behind that one... although for some it's an advantage. :-D

RAMBLE

IP Logged

Klystron
Ex Member

Reply #27 - Jul 31st, 2015 at 6:22pm
Print Post  
Majestic,

First of all I love this list.  Creative and workable with RP in mind.

What about Social Awkwardness/Ineptitude and Lone Wolf?

I'm not talking about the person who just doesn't want to be the life of the party or someone who wants to be alone to take his soul out and look at it once in a while, but something more substantial.

Social Awkwardness/Ineptitude I think of as something like Sheldon Cooper.  Almost an autistic flavor to it. Someone unaware of social conventions and boundaries, saying the first thing that comes to mind or asking questions or saying things that are relevant to the situation but inappropriate to the relationship.

The Lone Wolf does not work and play well with others. Someone who doesn't like to follow rules or pass up an opportunity for gain to help others. No understanding of cadre.

I was also thinking, as I was writing this, what about Secret Identity Compromised. This might even be a temporary weakness and something for someone with a dependent NPC to deal with. How a hero deals with blackmail over a secret identity should differ with how a villain deals with the same threat.

I can see myself using a few of these in the near future.  Even for my villains, something for the players to figure out.

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #28 - Jul 31st, 2015 at 7:58pm
Print Post  
Just for the record, every one of Oni's characters shows every single weakness on this list Smiley

Well the "dark secret" one definitely anyway (my favorite one on the list, sounds cool to work into the game)

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself -- Steven Segal

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #29 - Aug 1st, 2015 at 10:31am
Print Post  
Paul wrote on Jul 31st, 2015 at 7:58pm:
Just for the record, every one of Oni's characters shows every single weakness on this list Smiley

Well the "dark secret" one definitely anyway (my favorite one on the list, sounds cool to work into the game)

Guilty. I actually enjoy role playing the weaknesses to some extent. I never want to cripple the PC but I also cannot expect Master Cylinder John to remember all our weaknesses during the game. If a PC has 4 powers and one weakness then 20% of their "abilities" are weaknesses. That would suck if it came up that often in a game so we are responsible

Hell, I gave my non powered PC's weaknesses or John did in some cases just for fun. Let's just call them quirks instead.

Dick Dante is going through a tough time right now as his weakness is causing him to shy away from his duties as an example and it became a whole series of new adventures. Not sure if John planned or expected that but it is playing out that way.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #30 - Aug 1st, 2015 at 10:33am
Print Post  
Majestic,

I love

Weirdness Magnet. That would fit really well in our Weird West Campaign!!!
« Last Edit: Aug 1st, 2015 at 10:34am by THE ONI »  

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #31 - Aug 2nd, 2015 at 5:44am
Print Post  
Sorry, been doing a ton of gaming this weekend (V&V earlier in the week, then long session of D&D on Friday night, all day prep work and then a seven hour session of The One Ring today/Sat, then travel for an all-day D&D tomorrow/Sun, so haven't got a chance to do much online yet.  Will respond to everyone soon, though.

Wanted to add that we talked about it among my players some, and they wanted to add:

Identity (Secret or Public)

as another one.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #32 - Aug 4th, 2015 at 8:22pm
Print Post  
I took all the ones so far and put them into a percentile chart.  The original RAW Weaknesses were mostly each a 7% chance, with two at 8% and only one (Diminished Senses) at 12%.

So for this new chart I went:

3% each for each of the old, familiar ones from V&V 2.0/2.1

Removed most of the Lowered BCs (leaving only Charisma)

Also went with 3% for the most typical comic book trope weaknesses.

Everything else at 2%.

It leaves you with:

Weaknesses

01-02      Addiction
03-04      Amnesia
05-07      Arrogant/Overconfident
08-09      Bigotry
10-11      Bloodthirsty
12-14      Code of Conduct/Oath
15-16      Compulsion
17-19      Dark Secret
20-22      Dependent NPC
23-25      Diminished Senses
26-27      Disgraced/Notoriety
28-30      Duty/Obligation
31-33      Enemy/Rival
34-35      Fanatical/Zealot
36-37      Fearful
38-39      Flashbacks
40-41      Glory Hound
42-43      Greedy
44-46      Hunted/Wanted
47-49      Identity Issues (Public or Secret)
50-51      Lack of Self Esteem
52-54      Limited Education
55-56      Lone Wolf
57-59      Low Self-Control
60-62      Mute
63-64      Paranoid
65-67      Phobia/Psychosis
68-70      Physical Handicap
71-72      Poverty
73-75      Prejudice
76-77      Quirk
78-79      Reckless
80-82      Reduced Charisma
83-84      Social Awkwardness
85-87      Special Requirement
88-89      Stubborn
90-91      Treacherous
92-93      Vengeful
94-96      Vulnerability
97-98      Weak-Willed
99-100      Weirdness Magnet

IP Logged

Phrennzy
Avenger

I'm very pretty!

Reply #33 - Aug 5th, 2015 at 11:55am
Print Post  
Some of these weaknesses seem more like personality components rather than weaknesses.  Vengeful, Treacherous, Stubborn, Quirk - these don't quite seem like strong enough 'weaknesses' when compared to Diminished Senses, Poverty, Dependent NPC or Hunted/Wanted.

I'd trim out the stuff that reads like personality.  That would thin the list down. 

Some of the items on the list are 'dupes' of others, and could be condensed  Addiction fits under Special Requirement.  Disgraced/Notoriety fits with Prejudice.  Bloodthirsty and Reckless are the definition of Low Self Control. 

Fewer entries allows for more individual customization, much like Power Blast is a catch-all for energy beams.  Low-Self Control for one PC is inability to control their transformation, for another, it's bloodthirst, and for a third, it's an inability to surrender or retreat. 

Absolutely love the Dark Secret, Hunted/Wanted, Dependent NPC, Poverty, and Weirdness Magnet.  Those are huge, HUGE improvements over the reduced ability scores that were just a giant nerfbat, and I would love to see them incorporated into a new edition.  I'm definitely adapting this to our list of weaknesses.

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #34 - Aug 5th, 2015 at 1:45pm
Print Post  
Phrennzy wrote on Aug 5th, 2015 at 11:55am:
Some of the items on the list are 'dupes' of others

I can understand the thought to keep things general and say "this fits that" and leave the ambiguity to the GM and players. However, the reason for coming up with specifics isn't for the benefit of older players who have their own way to game it; not really...
Persons who are completely new to this game in my experience don't understand how to present different nuance of the broad category consistently and thus the expanse of a million muddy house rules. It'd be nice to not have to explain all the variances in my house rules whenever I play with someone else?
It's equally as nice to give concrete guidance across the board for the broad rule like "Special Requirement" and how in it's current form it might be vastly different:
Mjolnir has a special requirement that a wielder be 'worthy' or they simply can't pick the thing up...
Addiction is completely different. As time goes by where a character doesn't have their fix, it could result in stat damage or diminished power, or even psychological effects.

I'm in the camp that the game really needs two tiers with a general list supplemented by sub-tables with examples that include specific possible effects in their description. Those guidelines would afford those who want crunch their crunch and those who want creamy to continue on.

Slatwall going up on the walls of the shop.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools

>