Poll
Poll Question: Best member of Alpha Flight ?
bars   pie

Aurora    
  1 (4.5%)
Northstar    
  2 (9.1%)
Shaman    
  1 (4.5%)
Snowbird    
  1 (4.5%)
Sasquatch    
  3 (13.6%)
Marrina    
  0 (0.0%)
Puck    
  4 (18.2%)
Vindicator/Guardian (James Hudson)    
  10 (45.5%)

Total votes: 22
« Created by: Baretta on: Feb 26th, 2015 at 6:53am »
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Best member of Alpha Flight ? (Read 14857 times)
Baretta
Avenger

Former V&V Player

Best member of Alpha Flight ?
Feb 26th, 2015 at 6:53am
Print Post  
This poll focuses on the eight heroes who first appeared in the comics as members of Alpha Flight -- not including others who joined later or others who retroactively were added as early members.

IP Logged

proditorcappela
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Re: Best member of Alpha Flight ?
Reply #1 - Feb 26th, 2015 at 8:55am
Print Post  
Here's my general quideline for this sort of thing. Which character was killed off because everyone thought he was too much of a goody-two shoes and thus boring? That's probably your best, and least developed, character.

Plus, that flag suit just looks awesome.

IP Logged

Matt
Justice Leaguer

Super hero role-playing
& Bronze Age comics fan

Reply #2 - Feb 26th, 2015 at 9:04am
Print Post  
proditorcappela wrote on Feb 26th, 2015 at 8:55am:
Here's my general quideline for this sort of thing. Which character was killed off because everyone thought he was too much of a goody-two shoes and thus boring? That's probably your best, and least developed, character.

Plus, that flag suit just looks awesome.

I'd argue the reverse: Guardian is the most cliched, lifeless,  drab character in the book and the most expendable as a result.

IP Logged

Phrennzy
Avenger

I'm very pretty!

Reply #3 - Feb 26th, 2015 at 11:51am
Print Post  
Guardian was built to be killed by Byrne just for the shock value.  Who kills the team leader in the first year of the book?  And all because of the non-powered wife interrupting him!  Ah the drama.

Northstar rules.  Always has.  Even before I knew he was gay.  The powers, the attitude, the short fuse, the drama with his sister, his ties to Separatist terrorism - just a plethora of stories waiting to happen. 

Nice to see he got married.  Especially since they were going to kill him via AIDS.

IP Logged

Matt
Justice Leaguer

Super hero role-playing
& Bronze Age comics fan

Reply #4 - Feb 26th, 2015 at 2:56pm
Print Post  
I voted for Northstar too. I loved the unusual personality for a super hero: prickly, aloof, not all that interested in heroics, self-serving, yet all about his sister. Plus subtly gay in the early years.

IP Logged

Klystron
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Feb 27th, 2015 at 10:50pm
Print Post  
No love for Puck? Ok, I'll cast a vote for him.

IP Logged

Matt
Justice Leaguer

Super hero role-playing
& Bronze Age comics fan

Reply #6 - Feb 27th, 2015 at 10:53pm
Print Post  
I like Puck and Northstar best, but voted for Northstar as he strikes me as more original.

IP Logged

Hawk
Avenger

Reply #7 - Mar 2nd, 2015 at 9:20pm
Print Post  
Vindicator/Guardian(James "Jamie" Hudson) gets my vote.

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #8 - Mar 5th, 2015 at 4:05am
Print Post  
Loved Guardians costume and Puck's personality.

aka Dracos aka DarkStar aka Star Guard

IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #9 - Mar 7th, 2015 at 5:27pm
Print Post  
Vindicator / Guardian / Weapon X was not made to be killed off in the first year of Alpha Flight. I mean, let's be real - he shows up in X-men long before the AF ever got the green light. Puck and Shaman are tied for 2nd spot.

Northstar was always kinda blah. A speedster with a bad attitude? Wow, that's really cutting edge coming from the same company that gave us Quicksilver. The only thing interesting about Northstar was Aurora, and even that reminds me too much of Scarlet Witch. As for him being gay, that's never really touched on until much later in the books, and it feels like an attempt to make him more interesting.

Shaman is interesting because his powers are mysterious and his medicine bag really has a "Mutant Power/Special Weapon" vibe to it that I like. Puck is fun just because he's the classic little guy/underdog in a world full of big robots, scary native monsters, and corrupt Beta and Gamma flight members. And his cauliflower ear was a nice touch.

RAMBLE

IP Logged

Matt
Justice Leaguer

Super hero role-playing
& Bronze Age comics fan

Reply #10 - Mar 7th, 2015 at 7:14pm
Print Post  
There are allusions to Northstar being gay as early as Alpha Flight #1. So no, it's not a late addition attempting to make him more interesting.

Puck's cauliflower ear was cool.

I'm surprised so many folks like Guardian as he is a cipher with no personality.

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #11 - Mar 7th, 2015 at 11:30pm
Print Post  
Ramble wrote on Mar 7th, 2015 at 5:27pm:
As for him being gay, that's never really touched on until much later in the books, and it feels like an attempt to make him more interesting.

Alpha Flight #7 was very clear that Northstar was gay without saying it directly. I picked up on that about the time when I was 13.

IP Logged

proditorcappela
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #12 - Mar 10th, 2015 at 7:53am
Print Post  
I'm tired of good, honest, heroes being considered "cliched".

But I guess that's par for the course at Marvel. Only DC is usually allowed to have pure as the driven snow sort of characters, and they still get called cornball or cheesy.

IP Logged

Matt
Justice Leaguer

Super hero role-playing
& Bronze Age comics fan

Reply #13 - Mar 10th, 2015 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
proditorcappela wrote on Mar 10th, 2015 at 7:53am:
I'm tired of good, honest, heroes being considered "cliched".

But I guess that's par for the course at Marvel. Only DC is usually allowed to have pure as the driven snow sort of characters, and they still get called cornball or cheesy.

Spider-Man is good and honest without being boring, which is Guardian's prime crime against entertainment.

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #14 - Mar 10th, 2015 at 9:58pm
Print Post  
Matt wrote on Mar 10th, 2015 at 9:12pm:
Spider-Man is good and honest without being boring, which is Guardian's prime crime against entertainment.

FWIW: I always liked Guardian. He was the Christopher Pike of super-team leaders.

IP Logged

Tempest
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #15 - Mar 22nd, 2015 at 8:48pm
Print Post  
Gotta go the big one hundred with Polarboy on this one.  Guardian was, for me, the reason to tune in to Alpha Flight; I like my superheroes pretty damn straightforward and with clear motivations.  James Hudson struck me as a man who had a quintessential Canadian approach to life without flashing it all over the screen - or page, as the case may be: a guy who stood for solid, clean Canadian family values without trumpeting those values in any obnoxious pejorative sense.  I have the conviction that, although he would not have independently picked up on Jean-Paul Beaubier's sexual orientation unless it was shoved in his face (metaphorically), I honestly believe that, when he found out, he would have done nothing more than go, "Oh.  Huh." (shrug)  "Well, hope things work out for him."  And that's it.  No big moral justification speeches, no having to reach some internal conflict resolution; just a man who finds out the truth about one of his teammates, and accepts it.

All that stated, I will also express my clear point that, if Jeanne-Marie had existed in real life (or I was transferred to Marvel world), I would have crawled over broken glass on my hands and knees with a rose clutched between my teeth in order to prove to the girl what she'd inspired.

IP Logged

Matt
Justice Leaguer

Super hero role-playing
& Bronze Age comics fan

Reply #16 - Mar 22nd, 2015 at 10:29pm
Print Post  
Guardian refers to Northstar being gay in issue 1 and clearly had no issue with it.

IP Logged

Matt
Justice Leaguer

Super hero role-playing
& Bronze Age comics fan

Reply #17 - Mar 22nd, 2015 at 10:32pm
Print Post  
polarboy wrote on Mar 10th, 2015 at 9:58pm:
Matt wrote on Mar 10th, 2015 at 9:12pm:

FWIW: I always liked Guardian. He was the Christopher Pike of super-team leaders.

Not sure what that means...having seen the original Star Trek pilot I would say Christopher Pike is dull as dishwater as well. No James Kirk, that's for sure.

IP Logged

Klystron
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Mar 23rd, 2015 at 5:55pm
Print Post  
Matt wrote on Mar 22nd, 2015 at 10:32pm:
having seen the original Star Trek pilot I would say Christopher Pike is dull as dishwater as well. No James Kirk, that's for sure.

Having also seen the original pilot, I would agree but there was something that inspired the loyalty we saw in "Menagerie".  At least that's what the writers said.

Still, there is a reason Pike became Kirk after NBC turned down the pilot and allowed an unprecedented second chance.

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #19 - Mar 24th, 2015 at 1:18am
Print Post  
Matt wrote on Mar 22nd, 2015 at 10:32pm:
Not sure what that means...having seen the original Star Trek pilot I would say Christopher Pike is dull as dishwater as well.

I liked James Hudson as a reluctant and self-doubting leader, similar to Christopher Pike. It was interesting to see someone in the role of leader who wasn't necessarily well-suited for that position.

IP Logged

proditorcappela
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #20 - Apr 8th, 2015 at 8:35am
Print Post  
James was a much deeper character than could be realized by Byrne. Cap is a similar, and at this time in comics history at least, even shallower character, and yet, a good writer of the times like Gruenwald can make him interesting and compelling.

And this is without fast-forwarding to the last decade with Brubaker. Hudson didn't have to be boring, Byrne just sucks as a solo writer. I love the guy's art, but he's the Michael Bay of comic wriiting. If it doesn't blow up or date it's own sister, Byrne has no idea what to do with it.

This is abundantly clear if you look at his three year run on Fantastic Four (which coincides with his run on Alpha Flight).

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #21 - Apr 9th, 2015 at 3:24pm
Print Post  
I thought the first year (or so) of Byrne's run on FF was fantastic (both stories and art)!

IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #22 - Apr 21st, 2015 at 3:35am
Print Post  
I never liked Northstar because he was a jerk to his sister, had ties to the FLQ, and his powers were really kinda "meh". And then you add to it that Aurora have the exact same powers? Why? They aren't identical twins, why do they have identical powers?

As for the Gay aspect to Northstar, as I said, that was added on to make the character more interesting:

"Creator John Byrne was reluctant to produce an initial run of the 1983 Alpha Flight comic series for lack of developed and compelling characters, which had no back-stories and were created as nothing more than a team to face the X-Men. So in order to make the team less two-dimensional and more developed, Northstar's sexual orientation was subtly introduced into the start of the new Alpha Flight series.[2][3] Although Byrne had intended the character to be gay, he was restricted to implied hints of this fact,[4] due to Marvel editor-in-chief Jim Shooter's policy against openly homosexual characters,[5] and by the Comics Code Authority.[6] Thus, Northstar's apparent lack of interest in women was implied to be due to his obsessive drive to win as a ski champion,[7] and writer Bill Mantlo's later attempt to reveal that Northstar had AIDS was squelched.[8] In Alpha Flight #106 (1992), writer Scott Lobdell was finally given permission to have Northstar state, "I am gay.""
Source - Wikipedia

Before Alpha Flight (the series) began I already had an opinion of Northstar from his appearances in other comic books, and it wasn't great. Finding out he's a gay former terrorist just made me think - WTF? Those are bombshells... and we're just going add that to make him "edgey"? The FLQ isn't fake -  they actually killed people in real life. I don't like Northstar as a symbol for gay people. They deserve better. 

As for Guardian... I like his powers, his costume, and the character. You can't have Alpha Flight without Guardian - he's their leader and he's a symbol they can follow into battle. He has flaws, he has strengths, and he has history.
How many superheroes had wives and problems with their jobs and trying to make ends meet in 1983? And I think that Alpha Flight doesn't work without him, or someone a lot like him (Heather Hudson).

RAMBLE
« Last Edit: Apr 21st, 2015 at 3:39am by Ramble »  

IP Logged

Matt
Justice Leaguer

Super hero role-playing
& Bronze Age comics fan

Reply #23 - Apr 21st, 2015 at 9:10am
Print Post  
You have the right to be wrong.

Wikipedia is a reliable source.

IP Logged

Avenger

I Love Comic's and RP.
V&V got me started

Reply #24 - May 22nd, 2015 at 6:45pm
Print Post  
my top favs in this group
Sasquatch
Shaman
Puck

If something seems to good to be true, it's best to shoot it,just to be safe
IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #25 - May 22nd, 2015 at 10:05pm
Print Post  
Ramble wrote on Apr 21st, 2015 at 3:35am:
And then you add to it that Aurora have the exact same powers? Why? They aren't identical twins, why do they have identical powers?

Banshee's niece Siryn shared his powers as well, suggesting that the potential for particular super-powered mutations runs in families in the Marvel Universe.

IP Logged

Avenger

I Love Comic's and RP.
V&V got me started

Reply #26 - May 22nd, 2015 at 11:21pm
Print Post  
polarboy wrote on May 22nd, 2015 at 10:05pm:
Ramble wrote on Apr 21st, 2015 at 3:35am:
And then you add to it that Aurora have the exact same powers? Why? They aren't identical twins, why do they have identical powers?

Banshee's niece Siryn shared his powers as well, suggesting that the potential for particular super-powered mutations runs in families in the Marvel Universe.

the marvel folks also have said in older books that siblings with powers may have immunity to each others power  example being Cyclops and Havok ( Iguess it keeps them from killing each other has terrible 2's)

If something seems to good to be true, it's best to shoot it,just to be safe
IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #27 - Jun 6th, 2015 at 10:39am
Print Post  
Another example (of a more Alpha flight nature) would Scramble and Box (Madison Jeffries).

RAMBLE

IP Logged

Matt
Justice Leaguer

Super hero role-playing
& Bronze Age comics fan

Reply #28 - Oct 13th, 2015 at 9:58pm
Print Post  
Or maybe Puck before they got rid of his dwarfism.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #29 - Oct 14th, 2015 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
A few years ago, I went out and bought all the Alpha Flight back issues.   I stopped reading pretty much when Byrne left.   

Spoilers!!!

It WAS AWFUL!

This series contained some of the worst plots, characters and  stories I have ever read.   I don't think  Alpha Flight has ever recovered from how bad this comic got. 

Mannikin was the hands down worst super hero idea ever.   And Heather sleeping around was  a bad idea.   And a demon made Puck a midget?  Come on....

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #30 - Oct 14th, 2015 at 2:48pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Oct 14th, 2015 at 2:40pm:
It WAS AWFUL!

This series contained some of the worst plots, characters and  stories I have ever read.   I don't think  Alpha Flight has ever recovered from how bad this comic got.

Mannikin was the hands down worst super hero idea ever.   And Heather sleeping around was  a bad idea.   And a demon made Puck a midget?  Come on....

The series was excellent in issues #1-2, and #12-13, with some high points here and there while Byrne was there. It was one of the worst series imaginable after he left.

IP Logged

>